Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy

Trek Retro Watches

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old March 9 2014, 12:42 AM   #721
Christopher
Writer

Re: Captain America: The Winter Soldier pre-release thread

Pretty sure it was Matt Jefferies's proposal, not Justman's. I've seen a Jefferies concept drawing with that written on it.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9 2014, 01:58 AM   #722
CorporalCaptain
Vice Admiral

The Old Mixer wrote: View Post
Real-world carriers are numbered consecutively...and they're not exactly a state secret.
The point, I think, is that SHIELD carriers fall into a different category, assuming each carrier isn't listed in publicly available records the way US carriers are.
Old March 9 2014, 02:32 AM   #723
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Chemahkuu

Alidar Jarok wrote: View Post
That was Bob Justman's idea, iirc.

In the real world, it's generally a bad idea to number consecutively because it could give the enemy knowledge of your military numbers.
The USA doesn't have 78 carriers in service though, no matter how big the military budget.
Old March 9 2014, 02:41 AM   #724
The Old Mixer
Vice Admiral

^No, but they have had...the numbering goes back to the 1920s (see link).

CorporalCaptain wrote: View Post
The Old Mixer wrote: View Post
Real-world carriers are numbered consecutively...and they're not exactly a state secret.
The point, I think, is that SHIELD carriers fall into a different category, assuming each carrier isn't listed in publicly available records the way US carriers are.
I'm sure, but Alidar's "in the real world" implied he was talking about the actual military rather than SHIELD. The SHIELD numbering scheme could be deliberately random or coded...that's what they do.
Old March 9 2014, 02:59 AM   #725
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

I would think SHIELD has greater incentive to keep their numbers secret. Assuming one can keep a fleet of Helicarriers secret.
Old March 9 2014, 03:09 AM   #726
DEWLine
Fleet Captain

Send a message via AIM to DEWLine Send a message via Yahoo to DEWLine

If they've got at least three of the things homeported under the Potomac, how likely is it that they were ever able to keep that out of the news?

Also, remembering one of Clark Gregg's comments on Twitter(?): SHIELD's existence isn't a secret; (some of) what they do is.

Dwight Williams
Illustrator/Writer
DEWLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9 2014, 03:39 AM   #727
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

Yeah, but is the extent of their carrier fleet common knowledge? I figure it's closer to the CIA's drone fleet than the Navy's carrier fleet. SHIELD isn't a secret. Maybe their carriers aren't. But their numbers might be.

Anyway, who knows. Not a big deal either way. If their numbering system doesn't make much sense, though, using it to hide their total number could be an explanation.
Old March 9 2014, 04:07 AM   #728
JD
Admiral

If the 'Carriers started out as a secret, I would think it would be hard to keep them that way by the time they have enough for it to be considered a fleet. If there's a whole ton of them flying around all the time, sooner or later someone is going to spot one and get proof out there before it can be covered up.
Old March 9 2014, 04:10 AM   #729
CorporalCaptain
Vice Admiral

If they want to get really hardcore, they can change the numbers on the carriers. And then show the numbers being changed, just to rub it in, like a modernized version of James Bond's rotating license plate.
Old March 9 2014, 04:12 AM   #730
DEWLine
Fleet Captain

Send a message via AIM to DEWLine Send a message via Yahoo to DEWLine

Hmmm. Seems a little Soviet Navy-style, doesn't it?

Dwight Williams
Illustrator/Writer
DEWLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9 2014, 04:24 AM   #731
The Old Mixer
Vice Admiral

DEWLine wrote: View Post
If they've got at least three of the things homeported under the Potomac, how likely is it that they were ever able to keep that out of the news?
That reminds me of a gag in a MAD magazine parody of the Batman TV show (quoted from memory):

"Golly, Bruce, Aunt Harriet sure is gullible!"
"Come now, Dick...just because her two closest relatives are leading double lives and have built an unlicensed nuclear reactor under her feet doesn't mean she's gullible."

CorporalCaptain wrote: View Post
If they want to get really hardcore, they can change the numbers on the carriers. And then show the numbers being changed, just to rub it in, like a modernized version of James Bond's rotating license plate.
And that reminds me of a gag from the movie Help!, when the inspector from Scotland Yard is reviewing the Bahaman police force...which consists of five uniformed officers lined up, with the one who was just introduced always running to the back of the line to be reintroduced with a different number.
Old March 9 2014, 11:50 AM   #732
Hugo Rune
Fleet Captain

Alidar Jarok wrote: View Post
Off Topic: Is 300 RoaE worth watching? I figure I'd enjoy something similar to the first one and the Athenian's story is better, imo, but I've heard some very bad reviews.
I was never as enamoured with the original as many of my friends to be frank (it's a 6 at the best when taken as a simple guilty pleasure), so I went to see this with the GF who was more interested.

It's certainly a lot weaker than the original, lacking the real sense of preposterousness that made 300 funny at times.

Eva Green is a pretty worthy substitute to Gerard Bulter, and some of the imagery is striking, but, like the original, it's filled with terse Miller speechifying and barely drawn characters.

It's a 5 I guess, but unlike 300 I can't see any repeat viewings in my future, or even "chant-along-evenings" with drunk mates seeing who can bellow out the best "THIS. IS. SPARTA"

Frankly the 5 minute action segment of CA:TWS that was shown before the film was better than the entirety of Rise. Well, apart from Eva Green's breasts, which have always been, and currently remain to be, magnificent.

Hugo - At least you fight better than you fuck
Old March 9 2014, 03:29 PM   #733
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Chemahkuu

Hollowing out the river, building a high tech security complex right beside it, and landing two dozen quinjets on the surface would be difficult enough to hide.

Having three massive doorways hiding something obviously meant to emerge from them, even more so.

The three carriers were either built in the heart of Washington (and if you look at the photo of them deploying, they're in sight of the entire city) and were put through all their flight tests by flying over the capitol. Or they were built and tested elsewhere and flown into the city at night, with four massive repulsor engines glaring over everyone.

Since they don't think the reflection panels would hide the new engines, or that noise, they likely didn't bother hiding them at all, rather letting as many people see them as possible in the wake of the New York attack to give people a sense of security, knowing these things were up there to protect them.

The numbers could simply be sequential, but spread over all SHIELD craft, from important helo's and ground vehicles, to other smaller aircraft like the C-17, motorboats, hell even Lola.
Old March 9 2014, 04:01 PM   #734
CorporalCaptain
Vice Admiral

Chemahkuu wrote: View Post
Hollowing out the river, building a high tech security complex right beside it, and landing two dozen quinjets on the surface would be difficult enough to hide.

Having three massive doorways hiding something obviously meant to emerge from them, even more so.

The three carriers were either built in the heart of Washington (and if you look at the photo of them deploying, they're in sight of the entire city) and were put through all their flight tests by flying over the capitol. Or they were built and tested elsewhere and flown into the city at night, with four massive repulsor engines glaring over everyone.

Since they don't think the reflection panels would hide the new engines, or that noise, they likely didn't bother hiding them at all, rather letting as many people see them as possible in the wake of the New York attack to give people a sense of security, knowing these things were up there to protect them.
They could have been moved into place during a terrorist attack drill, during which the city was cordoned off and people kept back out of the area. Or, they could have been assembled underground and not actually tested in the field until first flight.
Old March 9 2014, 04:05 PM   #735
Mister Fandango
Fleet Captain

Or the guy responsible for assigning hull numbers was a sports fan who gave them numbers based on their favorite athletes.

Or they could be representative of celebrated years in SHIELD's history.

Or they could be chosen because those particular combination of numbers are easier to see and identify from range, as opposed to numbers such as 3, 6, 8, and 9. For example, 38, 88, 83. Which is probably pretty important for something you need to see from quite a distance while in the air.

Or they could be chosen because they look cool by the graphic artists who created them.