To Be Takei Review by Spencer Blohm
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Mulgrew: Playing Red

Hallmark 2015 Trek Ornaments

Funko Mini Spock
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old October 23 2013, 03:59 AM   #376
Christopher
Writer

Re: Captain America: The Winter Soldier pre-release thread

Anwar wrote: View Post
I think that the Peggy Carter scenes are supposed to be modern day, with Atwell just under a lot of elderly make-up.
Yeah, but the same can't be said for Dominic Cooper's return as Howard Stark. Unless he turns up miraculously alive... but that's the sort of thing that should happen in an Iron Man film instead, if it were going to happen.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23 2013, 04:07 AM   #377
The Old Mixer
Vice Admiral

Maybe he got drunk and left a message in a film for Cap....
Old October 23 2013, 05:54 AM   #378
Nick Ryder
Fleet Captain

I'm still really hoping that in Cap 2 they make some reveal there were other "replacement Caps" during the Cold War. Give us some extra fodder to explore.
Old October 23 2013, 06:14 AM   #379
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Nick Ryder wrote: View Post
I'm still really hoping that in Cap 2 they make some reveal there were other "replacement Caps" during the Cold War. Give us some extra fodder to explore.
The only replacement Cap that worked was the Commie smasher racist from Englehart's run. The others were just retcon over kills. It worked because he was the anti-Cap even though he thought he was carrying on Cap's legacy. The moment he finds out Steve is the real Cap is priceless.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23 2013, 06:38 AM   #380
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

^ I disagree. The original What If? #4 (The only What If? to not take place in an alternate universe), which told the tale of the first two replacement Caps, is one of my favorite books from that era.
Old October 23 2013, 06:59 AM   #381
Anwar
Vice Admiral

I'm still hoping that they'll do "Captain America No More!" with the Super-Patriot for Captain America 3.
Anwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23 2013, 07:18 AM   #382
Saga
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Saga Send a message via Yahoo to Saga

Turtletrekker wrote: View Post
^ I disagree. The original What If? #4 (The only What If? to not take place in an alternate universe), which told the tale of the first two replacement Caps, is one of my favorite books from that era.
one of my favorites too. i do hope at some point they touch on the subject of Caps replacements.
Saga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23 2013, 01:46 PM   #383
DEWLine
Fleet Captain

Send a message via AIM to DEWLine Send a message via Yahoo to DEWLine

Interesting note: In the latest Agents of SHIELD, Rogers' identity is treated as public knowledge...at least by those who care to look.

Dwight Williams
Illustrator/Writer
DEWLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23 2013, 02:41 PM   #384
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Great story, but its just two Caps too many.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Old October 23 2013, 08:27 PM   #385
Saga
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Saga Send a message via Yahoo to Saga

Geoff Peterson wrote: View Post
how do you feel about Bucky Cap then?
Old October 24 2013, 12:12 AM   #386
The Old Mixer
Vice Admiral

The replacement Caps thing isn't something that the MCU needs to bother getting cluttered up with. In the comics, they were retcons for dealing with the rather wide discrepancy between the 1960s story that established Cap and Bucky's fates towards the end of WWII and the characters' actual Timely/Atlas publishing history in the late 40s and 50s. None of that matters to the new continuity of the MCU, and having other Captain Americas running around over the years (some tarnishing his reputation) cheapens the impact of the original Cap returning after so many years.

OTOH, in the pre-closing credits scene of TIH, Stark says that the super-soldier project was discontinued for a reason. There's definitely room in that backstory for an attempt at creating another Cap somewhere during the intervening decades that went horribly wrong. They kinda, sorta covered that ground with Blonsky, but it would be interesting for Cap to have to deal with a nemesis created in his image. (Maybe the light-up shield seen in the Iron Man films was created by one of the Starks for the replacement's use....)

And yeah, nice poster.
Old October 24 2013, 12:32 AM   #387
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Cyberman wrote: View Post
Not fond of the concept. Didn't care for John Walker Cap either. Bucky should have stayed dead.
Old October 24 2013, 01:47 AM   #388
The Old Mixer
Vice Admiral

I like the basic concept of the sidekick rising to the role of his former mentor, but it seems premature to consider replacing Evans in the role yet.
Old October 24 2013, 05:07 AM   #389
Anwar
Vice Admiral

Cyberman wrote: View Post
Not fond of the concept. Didn't care for John Walker Cap either. Bucky should have stayed dead.
At least with Walker it was deliberate that you weren't supposed to like him or keep him as Cap.
Anwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24 2013, 06:21 AM   #390
Saga
Rear Admiral

i'll be honest, i was very much against the idea of Bucky being brought back. but Brubaker really turned that into a great story. his era of Captain America is one of my favorites.