Coto Drama Sold To Fox
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Braga Inks Deal
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Remastered Original Series Re-release
By: T'Bonz on Sep 11

UK Trek Ships Calendar Debuts
By: T'Bonz on Sep 10

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old July 26 2013, 06:51 PM   #346
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

Re: Captain America: The Winter Soldier pre-release thread

I actually think it would be cool if they had a WWII-era Fury who was white and if they offered absolutely no explanation. Sure, heads would melt but that would be a bonus.
Old July 26 2013, 07:46 PM   #347
Christopher
Writer

In The Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes, it was Nick Fury's father Jack Fury who was a member of the Howling Commandos. No explanation how a black man could've been in combat in WWII, but then, it was an alternate history where WWII was fought against HYDRA rather than the Nazis.

Come to think of it, didn't Gabe Jones appear in Captain America: The First Avenger? So there's precedent in the MCU.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 26 2013, 07:54 PM   #348
CaptainCanada
Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
I just wish they'd show the shorts in theaters!
Wouldn't that defeat the purpose of using them as DVD bonus features to get more people interested in buying them?

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26 2013, 07:59 PM   #349
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

In The Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes, it was Nick Fury's father Jack Fury who was a member of the Howling Commandos. No explanation how a black man could've been in combat in WWII, but then, it was an alternate history where WWII was fought against HYDRA rather than the Nazis.

Come to think of it, didn't Gabe Jones appear in Captain America: The First Avenger? So there's precedent in the MCU.
There were black men (entire units even) in combat during WWII, especially in the latter half of the war. They just weren't in white units.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26 2013, 08:04 PM   #350
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

No explanation how a black man could've been in combat in WWII
More than 700 black men were killed in combat in WWII.
Timby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26 2013, 08:06 PM   #351
CaptainCanada
Admiral

I would imagine he's referring to the commandos being an integrated unit.

But that's been the case since the squad was created by Lee and Kirby in the 60s, and they were both actual veterans who had lived through the era, so they knew it would have been impossible in reality. The Howling Commandos were deliberately ahistorical from the beginning.

- Homer Simpson
Old July 26 2013, 08:21 PM   #352
Christopher
Writer

CaptainCanada wrote: View Post
I just wish they'd show the shorts in theaters!
Wouldn't that defeat the purpose of using them as DVD bonus features to get more people interested in buying them?
Yes, it would, and that is one reason I wish it would happen. I don't think it's fair that those of us who can't afford to buy BluRays on a regular basis, who are limited to theater tickets or rentals or streaming or On Demand, have to be deprived of the opportunity to see these shorts.

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
There were black men (entire units even) in combat during WWII, especially in the latter half of the war. They just weren't in white units.
You're right, of course. I should have remembered that. I wrote in haste and got it wrong.

Old July 26 2013, 08:26 PM   #353
CaptainCanada
Admiral

Yes, it would, and that is one reason I wish it would happen. I don't think it's fair that those of us who can't afford to buy BluRays on a regular basis, who are limited to theater tickets or rentals or streaming or On Demand, have to be deprived of the opportunity to see these shorts.
How is "unfair" to create additional content for people willing to pay more?

- Homer Simpson
Old July 26 2013, 09:53 PM   #354
Christopher
Writer

^Because I can't afford it. And if I can't see it, it's unfair.

Old July 27 2013, 02:27 AM   #355
JD
Admiral

Yeah. I got Thor from ITunes, and did the first CA streaming so I haven't seen any of them either. I did the rented the DVD for Avengers, but never saw Item 47 for some reason. Was it not on the rental versions?

I keep hoping they'll eventually release them on their own either on a seperate discs or through one of the streaming services. They did that for the DC Showcase shorts that came with several of the DC Universe Animated Movies.
Old July 27 2013, 03:50 AM   #356
Christopher
Writer

Part of the reason I wish they'd show them in theaters is that it would be cool. It used to be normal to show short subjects before movies in the theater, but now it's vanishingly rare -- only Pixar really seems to make theatrical shorts anymore. And that's a shame, because it's cool to get a bonus before the movie. At least it's better than an endless barrage of commercials and trailers.

Old July 27 2013, 03:55 AM   #357
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Part of the reason I wish they'd show them in theaters is that it would be cool. It used to be normal to show short subjects before movies in the theater, but now it's vanishingly rare -- only Pixar really seems to make theatrical shorts anymore. And that's a shame, because it's cool to get a bonus before the movie. At least it's better than an endless barrage of commercials and trailers.
How will we know when to silence our cell phones?
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27 2013, 04:01 AM   #358
Icemizer
Fleet Captain

No way they will show the shorts in the theaters, to much money lost that way. By the end of the viewing day you would lose a whole showtime. Course they could just raise the ticket price for the theater that shows the shorts.
Icemizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27 2013, 04:02 AM   #359
Dream
Admiral

How would showing the shorts in theater work? Wouldn't the actors have to be paid more since their footage is in theaters rather than direct to video? Maybe that wouldn't be cost effective for Marvel Studios?
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27 2013, 04:05 AM   #360
Christopher
Writer

Icemizer wrote: View Post
No way they will show the shorts in the theaters, to much money lost that way. By the end of the viewing day you would lose a whole showtime.
That would be a more convincing argument if we didn't have so many movies pushing two and a half to three hours. If there's room for a Peter Jackson movie, there's room for a more normal-sized movie plus a ten-minute short.

And I say again: shorts are cool. This is something we should want, something we should brainstorm ways that we can have, not just look for excuses to deny it to ourselves.