A Baby For Saldana
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Klingon Beer Arrives In The US
By: T'Bonz on Jul 22

Star Trek: Prelude To Axanar

Abrams Announces Star Wars: Force For Change Sweepstakes

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old July 12 2013, 04:09 AM   #316
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

Re: Captain America: The Winter Soldier pre-release thread

Believe it or not,the Marvel One-Shots are the reason I finally broke down and bought a blu-ray player.
Old July 22 2013, 02:52 PM   #317
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

An almost over-looked announcement at Comic Con was the confirmation that Emily Van Camp is indeed playing Sharon Carter/Agent 13.
Old July 22 2013, 04:27 PM   #318
Dick Whitman
Fleet Captain

Christopher wrote: View Post
I hate it that these shorts are only available on the Blu-Rays. I wish they'd show them as short subjects before the actual movies in the theater.
Agreed. Or after the movies. More and more people are willing to wait until after these long credits for a few seconds of extra footage. So why not actually make it something worth the wait.
Dick Whitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22 2013, 04:40 PM   #319
CaptainCanada
Admiral

There was also this preview clip of Agent Carter.

Hayley Atwell's Peggy is easily my favourite MCU female character, so I'm sad that we essentially lost her to the time jump, though I guess that actually just means the time jump was effectively portrayed.

I love Sharon in the comics, though, so I hope the crew and EVC get her right.

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22 2013, 04:43 PM   #320
Christopher
Writer

I think it's a shame that the only starring, solo role any female Marvel character has gotten in a film yet is in a short subject.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23 2013, 02:20 AM   #321
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

I think it's a shame that the only starring, solo role any female Marvel character has gotten in a film yet is in a short subject.
Marvel doesn't really have a deep bench when it comes to female characters who can carry a film. Heck, they have problems finding a female character who can carry a comic book!
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23 2013, 02:39 AM   #322
JD
Admiral

CaptainCanada wrote: View Post
There was also this preview clip of Agent Carter.

Hayley Atwell's Peggy is easily my favourite MCU female character, so I'm sad that we essentially lost her to the time jump, though I guess that actually just means the time jump was effectively portrayed.

I love Sharon in the comics, though, so I hope the crew and EVC get her right.
Emily Van Camp is really good in Revenge, so I have no doubt that she'll be really good in CA:TWS.
Revenge is one of my favorite shows, so I was very happy when they said she'd been cast in Winter Soldier.
Harry Dresden - Blood Rites (The Dresden Files #6)
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23 2013, 03:33 AM   #323
Christopher
Writer

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
Marvel doesn't really have a deep bench when it comes to female characters who can carry a film. Heck, they have problems finding a female character who can carry a comic book!
Comics aside, surely Scarlett Johansson has earned a Black Widow solo movie by now. I'm not the only one surprised it hasn't happened. And I've seen a lot of online interest in a Captain Marvel (Carol Danvers) movie.

Old July 23 2013, 04:20 AM   #324
Tom Hendricks
Commodore

View Tom Hendricks's Twitter Profile

Comics aside, surely Scarlett Johansson has earned a Black Widow solo movie by now. I'm not the only one surprised it hasn't happened. And I've seen a lot of online interest in a Captain Marvel (Carol Danvers) movie.
I think it would have to be a Black Widow/Hawkeye movie with a big dose of Shield.

Of course I'm a creationist. I believe man created god.
Tom Hendricks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23 2013, 04:28 AM   #325
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

Or, if they stick close enough to the backstories in the comics, a Black Widow/Winter Soldier movie would rock.
Old July 23 2013, 04:53 AM   #326
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

I thought they'd go for that too. Johansson is a popular actress. Kickass women in black jumpsuits are popular. Action spy flicks are popular. Perhaps, CA: TWS will spark that film.

I'm not too impressed with the Captain Marvel comic. If they do a CM film I hope they won't use that as a template.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23 2013, 05:13 AM   #327
Dream
Admiral

It's not about whether Johansson has earned a Black Widow movie or not, it's about whether Marvel Studios thinks making a BW movie will be profitable or not.

They've given the lesser known characters like Ant-Man and the team GotG a movie, so don't say they aren't willing to take chances.
Old July 23 2013, 01:34 PM   #328
Christopher
Writer

Turtletrekker wrote: View Post
Or, if they stick close enough to the backstories in the comics, a Black Widow/Winter Soldier movie would rock.
That's kind of what we're getting in Captain America: The Winter Soldier. They said at the Comic-Con panel that it's close to the Brubaker storyline in at least some respects, and that Cap and Widow are pretty equal in prominence. Still, it's named for him.

Dream wrote: View Post
It's not about whether Johansson has earned a Black Widow movie or not, it's about whether Marvel Studios thinks making a BW movie will be profitable or not.
Yes, that is exactly what it's about. That's what I've been saying. The studios are willing to make movies about all sorts of male heroes, even Ant-Man, but they assume that any female-led movie will fail. That sexist double standard is precisely what I'm condemning here.

Old July 23 2013, 02:08 PM   #329
flavaflav
Commander

The studios are willing to make movies about all sorts of male heroes, even Ant-Man, but they assume that any female-led movie will fail. That sexist double standard is precisely what I'm condemning here.
Not a good comparison with Ant-Man as that movie has all kinds of potential... and is very original compared to other comic based movies. personally, I have zero interest in a Black Widow movie. While Scarlett can be nice to look at, she doesn't have enough charisma and bores the hell out of me. Imo, she is the prime example of a character that needs to share the spotlight with bigger guns like Iron Man, Cap, etc. otherwise you'd fall asleep in the cinema. I don't think it's a sexist double standard, it's simply a numbers game and I think the studio is right not to go ahead with a solo Widow flick. I'd much rather see Carol Danvers get a movie. It would simply be more interesting than the usual spy movie that's been done to death. Even a Ms Marvel movie could be a tough sell, as well as every other Marvel female hero, simply because they lack name recognition. It's a big risk, and it's easy to say "sexism" when it's not your $ on the line. But, that just my opinion. The public could eat it up too. Who knows.
flavaflav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23 2013, 03:03 PM   #330
Christopher
Writer

flavaflav wrote: View Post
personally, I have zero interest in a Black Widow movie. While Scarlett can be nice to look at, she doesn't have enough charisma and bores the hell out of me.
Depends on the script and the director. In Iron Man 2, she was nice to look at (devastatingly so) but lacked charisma. In The Avengers, once she actually had a character she could sink her teeth into and a director skilled at deepening his female players rather than simply glamorizing them, she was a revelation. With a writer and/or director like Whedon, she could certainly carry a movie.

I don't think it's a sexist double standard, it's simply a numbers game and I think the studio is right not to go ahead with a solo Widow flick.
As I said, it's not exclusively about Black Widow. It boggles my mind that Anne Hathaway didn't get a Catwoman spinoff as soon as audiences and critics raved about her breakout performance. She was the most consistently well-received part of The Dark Knight Rises, praised even by critics who disliked the rest of the film, and there was a lot of buzz about how she deserved a spinoff -- yet there doesn't seem to have been any serious studio interest in one. And we've just heard about a long-term DC development slate that includes Sandman and Aquaman, but no mention of Wonder Woman, the third-most important character in the entire DC pantheon.

I'd much rather see Carol Danvers get a movie.
I'd rather see multiple female characters get movies. Give us a Misty Knight/Colleen Wing detective movie, a riff on '70s blaxploitation and martial arts like the comics were. Give us Birds of Prey, and do it better than the TV series did. Heck, if you don't think Black Widow can carry a film by herself, how about a "Fury's Angels" film with Widow, Maria Hill, and either Sharon Carter or Mockingbird? (Or both?)

And for Hera's sake, get Wonder Woman on the goldurn screen already. There's just no excuse there.

Even a Ms Marvel movie could be a tough sell, as well as every other Marvel female hero, simply because they lack name recognition.
Iron Man and Thor had very little name recognition among the general public (beyond, well, most people having heard of Norse mythology) prior to their hit movies. Marvel wasn't afraid to gamble on them.

Besides... Marvel plasters its name all over its movies and their promotional materials. How much more name recognition does Captain Marvel need?

It's a big risk, and it's easy to say "sexism" when it's not your $ on the line.
And it's just as easy to use $ as a rationalization for sexism or other discrimination. Half a century ago, TV networks were reluctant to include black people in their shows because they thought it would alienate a lot of the white viewers who bought their advertisers' products. Then they did demographic surveys revealing how much buying power African-Americans had, and they realized they'd been fools for passing up that market, so they started encouraging their shows to include more diverse casts, which is how we got Uhura and Sulu in Star Trek, Barney in Mission: Impossible, and so on.

The problem with the argument that female-led movies aren't profitable is that it's based on an underlying double standard. If a movie with a male lead bombs, nobody ever blames that failure on the sex of the movie's lead; they recognize that it had a bad script or bad acting or bad directing or bad promotion or whatever. But when films like Elektra and Catwoman bombed, the studios immediately jumped to the conclusion that they failed because they had female leads -- which is insane when you consider how many enormous flaws both movies had that are far more obvious explanations for their failure. (I actually kind of like Elektra, but I recognize it's got a lot of weaknesses and its appeal is cultish at best.) It's a spurious correlation. They're not deriving a conclusion from the evidence, they're selectively interpreting the evidence as validation for their pre-existing assumptions. The exclusion of women came first. The financial argument is just the excuse for perpetuating it.