Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old January 4 2013, 01:41 AM   #166
JD
Admiral

Re: Captain America: The Winter Soldier pre-release thread

I've been assuming that they saved the Cap and old Peggy scene for TWS. They could always just have an older actress playing the modern day Peggy, rather than Haley Atwell in old age makeup.
Harry Dresden - Blood Rites (The Dresden Files #6)
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4 2013, 01:49 AM   #167
Tom Hendricks
Commodore

View Tom Hendricks's Twitter Profile

JD wrote: View Post
I've been assuming that they saved the Cap and old Peggy scene for TWS. They could always just have an older actress playing the modern day Peggy, rather than Haley Atwell in old age makeup.
This was put to use best by A League of Their Own. They had older actresses play the characters with the voices dubbed over by the original actresses.

Of course I'm a creationist. I believe man created god.
Tom Hendricks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 4 2013, 01:58 AM   #168
CaptainCanada
Admiral

FPAlpha wrote: View Post
Maybe a bad decision.

The Ultimate version of Cap had some very nice and emotional scenes that reunite Rogers, then old lady Gail (his love back in the 40s) and her husband Bucky Barnes who have aged considerably and can't believe to see Steve Rogers in the flesh as a young man in his prime (especially Gail who's afraid of Steve seeing her as an old woman).

It's was a very good way to show the passage of time and what Cap has lost and could be well adapted for the movie when they delve more into the man out of time aspect with Cap. Ii sure hope they do so.. this was always a defining trait with Cap to show his old fashioned ways sometimes to remind us that not everything from ages past is useless or doesn't have its place in modern times.
Millar's story didn't involve Steve hooking up with Gail's grandniece/granddaughter/whatever, so I think that's rather different. If you're going to have Steve being romantically interested in Sharon, best to have Peggy quietly passed away beforehand.

Granted, that was technically the case in the 616 comics, but there were a bunch of differences there: storytelling with different (and a lot less concerned with implications) in the 1960s, we met Sharon first there, and Peggy really wasn't an important character. In a movie, having introduced Peggy first and established their lost romance as as a big tragedy, I don't think that would come across very well.

Though, given Millar's storytelling tendencies, I'm sure some gleefully perverse version that story crossed his mind at some point.

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4 2013, 04:27 AM   #169
Nightowl1701
Commander

I guess now Steve will be meeting Sharon for the first time at Peggy's funeral. Probably that's where the movie will start, thematically picking up right where the first film left off - as close as Steve will ever get to his lost "date."
Nightowl1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4 2013, 05:27 AM   #170
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

Joss Whedon said in an interview that he wrote a scene with Steve and Peggy while writing Avengers, even though he knew that he would never be able to fit it into the film. The scene would have had Steve visiting a 97-year-old Peggy in a Veteran's hospital and would have allowed Steve to go on a patriotic speil about how we treat our veterans. He said that writing that scene, even though he knew it wouldn't be in the movie, was his favorite scene to write in the whole Avengers experience.
Old January 4 2013, 05:28 PM   #171
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

At one stage there was talk that this movie would feature WWII flashbacks. They could still of course have them, just without Peggy; however, I'm inclined to think that this suggests that the flashbacks are looking less likely.
Old January 4 2013, 10:00 PM   #172
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

Captaindemotion wrote: View Post
At one stage there was talk that this movie would feature WWII flashbacks. They could still of course have them, just without Peggy; however, I'm inclined to think that this suggests that the flashbacks are looking less likely.
I think while fandom still thought/hoped Atwell would be back that those flashbacks would include her. Thus layering the flashbacks with different folks from the first film. Since the Winter Soldier is prominent it stands to reason that to snap him out of it, whatever the "it" will be for the film, flashbacks of him and Steve would still be a likely scenario if nothing else.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4 2013, 10:04 PM   #173
Hound of UIster
Rear Admiral

They used a cosmic cube in the original story.
Hound of UIster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5 2013, 07:08 AM   #174
Nick Ryder
Fleet Captain

Well I am hoping that in Cap 2 they give him a more... well, less Avengers styled uniform. Honestly something close to the Marvel NOW version of the suit, that looks a bit more like a more modern military light body armor would be nice - like a good mesh of the Cap 1 suit, the Avengers suit and the comics suit.

I wouldn't mind seeing Cap doing some more Covert Ops type stuff - could be interesting to see like Cap doing "good" spy stuff and Bucky doing "bad spy" stuff until somehow he's turned. Although I do wonder if they're going to keep his relationship with Natasha... hmm
Old January 5 2013, 12:57 PM   #175
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

Captain Craig wrote: View Post
Since the Winter Soldier is prominent it stands to reason that to snap him out of it, whatever the "it" will be for the film, flashbacks of him and Steve would still be a likely scenario if nothing else.
That makes sense.
Old January 15 2013, 03:46 PM   #176
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/60330

Anthony Mackie talks, but doesn't say very much about his role as The Falcon in TWS.
Old January 21 2013, 10:45 PM   #177
Chris3123
Vice Admiral

Toby Jones says he's returning as Arnim Zola.

SuperheroHype

No word yet on the context of Zola's presence in the movie, whether in the present or a flashback, robot body or not.
Chris3123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22 2013, 07:49 AM   #178
JD
Admiral

Have they said for sure if there will be flashbacks? I would think there were flashbacks would have heard about more returning cast members.
Harry Dresden - Blood Rites (The Dresden Files #6)
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22 2013, 03:57 PM   #179
Kosh Naranek
Captain

I am a comic novice, but given the premise, would a few flashbacks not be necessary?

Unless Bucky never snaps out of it amd Capt. kills him.
Old January 22 2013, 05:19 PM   #180
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

My guess is that Jones' character was involved in transforming Bucky into the Winter Soldier and that the flashbacks will show this.