Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old October 28 2012, 05:14 PM   #151
CaptainCanada
Admiral

Re: Captain America: The Winter Soldier pre-release thread

Another day, another newspaper report; in this case, one of the British papers saying that of shortlist of actresses previously mentioned, Jessica Brown Findlay is in the lead.

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28 2012, 06:19 PM   #152
Reverend
Rear Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
Reverend wrote: View Post
Is it sad that I noticed two rather glaring errors on Carter's file? It's annoying because normally I hate nitpicking...but I'm sorry: it's Royal Air Force, not British Air Force and it's interesting how she was in the SAS for four years and yet managed to leave a full year before it was formed...
Actually a full decade; it says she was a British Air Force nurse from 1934-6, in the Special Air Service from '36-'40, and in the Strategic Scientific Reserve from '40 onward.
The SAS were most assuredly active during the war as a brigade, but yeah, they weren't formally constituted as a corps until the early 50's IIRC.

Still, we are dealing with an alternate history here, a version of the Marvel Universe rather than the real universe. It has blatant and intentional discrepancies like the existence of Captain America as a well-known war hero and the role of HYDRA as a major part of the Nazi war machine, so there could easily be other discrepancies as well.
Not much of an excuse really. Sure there's plenty of fictional history involved, but it's supposed to integrate with "real" history to keep it grounded.

Oh and her phone number looks very odd too.
Well, yes and no. It's "020-7946 03560," which would work as a London number if you dropped the last 0 and wrote it as "(020) 7946 0356" instead. However, the file says Peggy lives in Winchester, whose phone numbers would use the dialling code "(01962)" followed by a 5- or 6-digit number.
Yeah, thanks mate, but I think I know what a UK phone number looks like. It's pretty clear that whomever wrote that just made it up without bothering to spend 5 mins on google for some *basic* research. Had they done so, they could just have found out about the old 01632 area code (the UK equivalent to the USA's "555".) Using the actual Winchester area code probably isn't a good idea.

Speaking of that file, I note she served SSR right up until '85. Who wants to bet she was Fury's immediate predecessor?
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30 2012, 02:27 AM   #153
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

Frank Grillo confirmed as Crossbones.
Old October 30 2012, 03:31 AM   #154
PsychoPere
Vice Admiral

That Variety article also claims that Cobie Smulders will be in the film.
PsychoPere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30 2012, 12:03 PM   #155
Chris3123
Vice Admiral

PsychoPere wrote: View Post
That Variety article also claims that Cobie Smulders will be in the film.
Samuel L. Jackson and Scarlett Johansson are mentioned as well.

So we're getting the S.H.I.E.L.D. Trifecta of Nick Fury, Maria Hill, and Black Widow.
"Human beings worship the great god Santa, a creature with fearsome claws, and his wife Mary. And every Christmas Eve, the people of UK go to war with the country of Turkey. They then eat the Turkey people for Christmas dinner like savages."
Chris3123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30 2012, 01:43 PM   #156
Christopher
Writer

^At least, it's alleged that we're getting them.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31 2012, 05:42 AM   #157
JD
Admiral

I've seen it on several other sites now, so it's pretty likely.
Old October 31 2012, 01:44 PM   #158
Christopher
Writer

JD wrote: View Post
I've seen it on several other sites now, so it's pretty likely.
Except that usually one site will make an announcement and a bunch of other sites will quote it without bothering to fact-check. So what looks like it comes from multiple sources often comes from just one, and thus is no more reliable.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31 2012, 03:01 PM   #159
wamdue
Admiral

to be fair its more logical SHIELD make an appearance in Captain America,the guy has no support network, no home, no friends, he may have some family, but that might be awkward. SHIELD will look to move him into the real world in time, but for now its SHIELD he would turn to, should he need anyone.

Last edited by wamdue; October 31 2012 at 04:51 PM.
wamdue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31 2012, 03:32 PM   #160
Duncan MacLeod
Fleet Captain

Also Cap worked quite closely with SHIELD for a long time in the comics. Mostly fighting guys like A.I.M., Hydra, The Secret Empire and various other subversive organizations. It makes a great deal of sense for SHIELD to be heavily involved in the Captain America movies.

In another area, am I the only one who it a bit leary about hooking up with the niece or grand-daughter of his former love? It worked in the comics because Cap and Peggy were only friends and colleagues. But in the movie there was a romanitic connection. That leaves something of a squick factor.

Maybe it would be best to side step the whole issue and have him involved with someone else or else keep him with Peggy. They could show him giving her a transfusion in a flashback scene. Thus resulting in a 90 year old woman who looks like she's 30.
Duncan MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31 2012, 07:35 PM   #161
Hanukkah Solo
Admiral

I really only think it'd be an issue if Sharon were identical to Peggy like she is in the comics. Since she more than likely won't be (they appear to be looking for a new actress to play Sharon), I don't see much of a problem.
Hanukkah Solo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 1 2012, 03:21 AM   #162
CaptainCanada
Admiral

Duncan MacLeod wrote: View Post
It worked in the comics because Cap and Peggy were only friends and colleagues.
No, they had a romantic connection in the comics too. Sharon reminded him of Peggy when they first met (and he didn't know who she was).

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3 2013, 04:20 AM   #163
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

Haley Atwell confirms that she will not be returning for the sequel.
Old January 3 2013, 05:41 PM   #164
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

Turtletrekker wrote: View Post
It was wishful thinking that she might get a dual casting to play Sharon. This was expected news I suppose if not unwelcomed news. Since filming on this starts in the Spring the real casting news on Sharon should pick up around March.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3 2013, 06:07 PM   #165
FPAlpha
Vice Admiral

Turtletrekker wrote: View Post
Maybe a bad decision.

The Ultimate version of Cap had some very nice and emotional scenes that reunite Rogers, then old lady Gail (his love back in the 40s) and her husband Bucky Barnes who have aged considerably and can't believe to see Steve Rogers in the flesh as a young man in his prime (especially Gail who's afraid of Steve seeing her as an old woman).

It's was a very good way to show the passage of time and what Cap has lost and could be well adapted for the movie when they delve more into the man out of time aspect with Cap. Ii sure hope they do so.. this was always a defining trait with Cap to show his old fashioned ways sometimes to remind us that not everything from ages past is useless or doesn't have its place in modern times.