TV Alert: Shatner TNG Documentary
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Forbes Cast In Powers
By: T'Bonz on Aug 22

Dorn To Voice Firefly Character

No ALS Ice Bucket For Saldana

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Gaming

Gaming Non-Star Trek Gaming

Old July 7 2012, 03:07 AM   #1
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

Oh, how the mighty have fallen...

Hail to the king, baby. Should've remained a vaporware legend.

Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7 2012, 03:11 AM   #2
Robert Maxwell
Not Your Toy

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell
Re: Oh, how the mighty have fallen...

$3? I'd buy it at that price (if I didn't already have it.)

Anyway, while it's not a good game by any stretch, it's not as terrible as its reputation would lead one to believe.
My blog
Robert Maxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7 2012, 03:53 AM   #3
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

Gamestop has it for $5 but $3 was too funny. I had played it once on a free rental and didn't feel like adding another coaster to my bulging collection just because it was cheap but I suppose you can't go too wrong for that price.
Old July 7 2012, 06:59 AM   #4
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

Haha, ouch, that's gotta hurt, especially to those who spent so long working on it.
Owain Taggart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7 2012, 01:32 PM   #5
Itisnotlogical
Commodore

It does kind of sting that after being in development so long, it was ultimately a dud.
"Good grief. You guys sure know how to make something out of nothing. And then take sides about whether or not it's nothing, and then change your minds and discuss why you thought it was something." - Kestra
Itisnotlogical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7 2012, 01:55 PM   #6
Reverend
Rear Admiral

Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
$3? I'd buy it at that price (if I didn't already have it.)

Anyway, while it's not a good game by any stretch, it's not as terrible as its reputation would lead one to believe.
Really? I couldn't even finish the sodding demo. I can't put my finger on why exactly, but the mechanics just felt...off. Plus it was boring. Really, really boring. I don't know *how* a game that outlandish and OTT can be considered boring, but somehow they managed it.

So no, I wouldn't pay even *that* price for it, because I wouldn't even be able to sit through it, much less have any fun with it.
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7 2012, 02:49 PM   #7
Robert Maxwell
Not Your Toy

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell

Itisnotlogical wrote: View Post
It does kind of sting that after being in development so long, it was ultimately a dud.
I have the feeling the people who worked on it at 3D Realms got pretty frustrated with the whole process, since their boss kept making them switch to new engines. Remember when it was going to be using the Quake engine? That's how fucking old this game is!

Kind of sad that this is the game that bankrupted a once-respected development company.
My blog
Old July 7 2012, 07:06 PM   #8
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

Remember when it was going to be using the Quake engine? That's how fucking old this game is!
I watched that old trailer for years, I used to dream about what this game would be like.

Old July 7 2012, 07:38 PM   #9
Sheep
Vice Admiral

One of my buddies bought it at $60 going against every single review out there and my advice to not waste his money. Turns out he stopped playing at about halfway through because the game's flaws were so glaring. :shock:

Anyhow I thought this was going to be a thread about Sega who now consider Aliens vs. Predator a core property, completely ignoring all their actual classics aside from Sonic. *facepalm*
Old July 7 2012, 07:45 PM   #10
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

Yeah, exactly, Robert. It kind of makes you wish all this had been a joke and that the company will eventually resurface to make another game to make up for this. I remember seeing the first screenshots of it in the Quake engine. They've kept saying that the game wasn't really in development back then, but they can say whatever they want, because if you show screenshots of your game, then that tells the public that you have been developing your game, so from the public point of view, it was in development, even if it was really early in its development. There is a company licensed as Apogee making games for Smartphones, but that's not quite the same thing.

That trailer gave us a glimpse of what could have been an awesome game if they had continued in that direction, but shortly after that was released, they decided to scrap it and restart again.

I think one of the most glaring flaws about the released game is that they tried a bit too hard in the humour department. It's like a comic trying to be funny but stumbling around with his material without really knowing his audience. One of the great things about Duke Nukem 3D was that it never took itself too seriously.
Old July 7 2012, 11:13 PM   #11
Itisnotlogical
Commodore

Itisnotlogical wrote: View Post
I have the feeling the people who worked on it at 3D Realms got pretty frustrated with the whole process, since their boss kept making them switch to new engines. Remember when it was going to be using the Quake engine? That's how fucking old this game is!

Kind of sad that this is the game that bankrupted a once-respected development company.
Changing the engine mid-development was what ultimately killed another turd of gaming, Daikatana. I doubt it would have been very much fun in the first place (ugly graphics, tiny enemies that aren't any fun to kill, etc.) but changing from Quake to Quake II mid-development added a bunch of bugs that there was no time to fix.

To think, this was the pet project of John Romero, one of the co-creators of the very first DooM game.
"Good grief. You guys sure know how to make something out of nothing. And then take sides about whether or not it's nothing, and then change your minds and discuss why you thought it was something." - Kestra
Itisnotlogical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8 2012, 12:46 AM   #12
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

Well, changing from Quake to Quake II isn't so much a leap in logic since it's essentially the same engine, but with lots of improvements that have been made since the original, and it's always easier to keep the original assets that way. In a way, it stayed within the same family of engines. It's when 3D Realms changed engines completely several times throughout development that allowed it to stagnate. From Quake to Unreal, and I think another Unreal engine. They just kept switching because they were distracted by all the improvements they had to have.
Old July 8 2012, 02:14 AM   #13
Kelthaz
Rear Admiral

Sheep wrote: View Post
Anyhow I thought this was going to be a thread about Sega who now consider Aliens vs. Predator a core property, completely ignoring all their actual classics aside from Sonic. *facepalm*
Yeah, that's what I was expecting too. I don't think anyone's fallen as much as Sega. Maybe Atari.

I should be more disappointed in Duke Nukem Forever, but I think we all knew it was going to be a disaster many years ago. The final release of the game was just a zombie of the former character.

"I'm the locksmith. And... I'm the locksmith."
Kelthaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8 2012, 03:28 AM   #14
Cutter John
Rear Admiral

No sympathy here. They had what, twelve years to work on the thing and this is the best they could do? Screw'em.

If I wanted a REAL bad-ass FPS, I'd go pick up Serious Sam 3.
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant."
Cutter John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8 2012, 05:54 AM   #15
Robert Maxwell
Not Your Toy

Owain Taggart wrote: View Post
Well, changing from Quake to Quake II isn't so much a leap in logic since it's essentially the same engine, but with lots of improvements that have been made since the original, and it's always easier to keep the original assets that way. In a way, it stayed within the same family of engines. It's when 3D Realms changed engines completely several times throughout development that allowed it to stagnate. From Quake to Unreal, and I think another Unreal engine. They just kept switching because they were distracted by all the improvements they had to have.
From what I understand, very little of the Quake code made it into Quake II. The architecture is quite different. The assets were not very portable, either, if I'm remembering right.

And it's true that Daikatana was John Romero's baby. It makes me a bit sad that John Carmack and Romero parted ways. When they worked together--like on Doom--Carmack's superior engine skills complemented Romero's instinct for game design. Apart, neither has been as successful (although Carmack's still done pretty well, by comparison.)
My blog