RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 137,851
Posts: 5,328,212
Members: 24,552
Currently online: 729
Newest member: SpammetySpam

TrekToday headlines

Cubify Star Trek 3DMe Mini Figurines
By: T'Bonz on Jul 11

Latest Official Starships Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Jul 10

Seven of Nine Bobble Head
By: T'Bonz on Jul 9

Pegg The Prankster
By: T'Bonz on Jul 9

More Trek Stars Join Unbelievable!!!!!
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old September 23 2013, 01:41 PM   #121
Reverend
Rear Admiral
 
Reverend's Avatar
 
Location: UK
Re: The Legend of Korra - Book Two: Spirits

Christopher wrote: View Post
Kestrel wrote: View Post
Really my only complaint about this political storyline is that they're making Korra kind of... dumb, if you ask me. She just dealt with a corrupt Water Tribe official misusing his authority last season, and now she's not even seriously protesting Unalaq here?
He's her uncle. Family changes things.
Plus he *was* right about the whole angry spirit thing.
Reverend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 28 2013, 04:43 AM   #122
Mr Light
Admiral
 
Location: Pennsylvania
Re: The Legend of Korra - Book Two: Spirits

2X4 Civil Wars Part Two

I'm really loving this season. I'm glad the evil uncle thing is ongoing and not resolved this quickly. It was great to see how bad ass and confident Korra was in combat. I'm really glad we're getting these Tenzin family subplots and I hope they continue.

It would have been interesting is Aubrey Plaza's character was complicit in the evil plot. And if she isn't, what is her opinion of it? Will she turn on daddy in spite of her spurned "love"?

The guy hiding in the platypus bear was hilarious, I thought. Especially when the tail lifted up to plop out a stack of money! Crass, but enjoyable.

And the family of baby sky bison was absolutely adorable.
__________________

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28 2013, 05:11 AM   #123
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral
 
Location: Space Massachusetts
Re: The Legend of Korra - Book Two: Spirits

Have they explained where the sky bison clan came from?

wish we had a connecting miniseries.
__________________
The powerful play goes on, and you may contribute a verse.
bigdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28 2013, 05:44 AM   #124
JD
Admiral
 
JD's Avatar
 
Location: Arizona, USA
Re: The Legend of Korra - Book Two: Spirits

There have been two comic book minseries set between A:TLA and Korra. But they take place close to the end of A:TLA so I think they mostly deal with the fallout of the end of that, rather than setting up Korra.

As for the episode, I thought it was good. Not at all surprised Unalaq was a bad guy the whole time.
__________________
Over the course of many encounters and many years, I have successfully developed a standard operating procedure for dealing with big, nasty monsters. Run away. Me and Monty Python.
Harry Dresden - Blood Rites (The Dresden Files #6)
JD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 28 2013, 01:16 PM   #125
Mr Light
Admiral
 
Location: Pennsylvania
Re: The Legend of Korra - Book Two: Spirits

The first comic mini-series, The Promise, dealt with the creation of mixed Fire/non-Fire colonies and with Zuko becoming corrupted as the Fire Lord.

The second series, The Search, is still in progress and deals with Zuko's search for his mother.
__________________

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28 2013, 02:50 PM   #126
Agent Richard07
Admiral
 
Re: The Legend of Korra - Book Two: Spirits

First half decent episode so far.

- The whole bit with the weasely business guy in the bear had me laughing out loud.

- I didn't know until a couple of days ago that Aubrey Plaza did voice work for the show. Then I just found out that she's Eska, who by the way looked absolutely terrifying when she was out in the ocean coming at them. Looked like something out of a Japanese horror film.

- The currency is the yuan which is what the current Chinese currency is called.

- I liked seeing that family picture of Aang, Katara and the kids.

- I had a thought about bending… A good story would have been if Korra's bending was taken away and then she had to actually learn to bend as a skill as opposed to just learning to use the "powers" she already had. Having a story with this kind of angle would have been a great way to have her become a better avatar because she'd be learning the actual fundamentals of bending, something that can't be taken away. I would have liked to have seen a journey like that. It would have also changed what the world understands as bending. Is it something anyone can learn? Last season touched on that when they started bending the rules a bit (no pun intedned).
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28 2013, 03:10 PM   #127
Mr Light
Admiral
 
Location: Pennsylvania
Re: The Legend of Korra - Book Two: Spirits

I'm sure if they knew they were doing more than 12 episodes, Korra wouldn't have immediately gotten her powers back like that.
__________________

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28 2013, 04:08 PM   #128
Christopher
Writer
 
Christopher's Avatar
 
Re: The Legend of Korra - Book Two: Spirits

Excellent episode. The best part by far, though, was the stuff with Tenzin and Ikki in the cave. That was utterly lovely. I hadn't realized what a terrific father Tenzin is. I loved it how he let himself show his vulnerability and just be a friend to Ikki, which was what they both needed.

I was wondering how much time they'd spend at the poles, but apparently we're going back to Republic City now to meet the president. I suspect that, though Unalaq's actions are unethical and power-driven, he's going to turn out to be right about the spirits being angered and unbalanced by Korra's choice to provoke a war. Unalaq was hoping to play on the Avatar's need for neutrality to keep her out of his way, but he underestimated her assertiveness. Still, he's going to be right that it creates a spiritual imbalance, and she's going to be forced to connect with the spirits in order to correct the problems she caused.

Although Aang took sides in a war and that didn't upset the spirits. Maybe because he didn't provoke the fight in the first place but was trying to end it, to restore the balance.



Agent Richard07 wrote: View Post
- I had a thought about bending… A good story would have been if Korra's bending was taken away and then she had to actually learn to bend as a skill as opposed to just learning to use the "powers" she already had. Having a story with this kind of angle would have been a great way to have her become a better avatar because she'd be learning the actual fundamentals of bending, something that can't be taken away.
What? It doesn't work that way. You're talking about one thing as if it's two separate things. Nobody who doesn't have the innate potential for bending can learn to bend at all. When Amon took people's bending away, it would've been impossible for them to relearn the ability, because their connection to the spiritual source of the power had been severed. It was only Korra's Avatar ability to energy-bend and restore their lost connection that enabled them to bend again. (I mean, think about it -- if it were possible for non-benders to learn how to bend, then the class division between benders and non-benders we saw in season 1 wouldn't have existed.)

And if you do have the potential, you still have to learn how to use it, as we saw with Aang in A:TLA. It's not just magically knowing how to bend; it's having an innate spiritual connection to your nation's defining element, a connection which you have to train and practice in order to learn how to harness. Korra did have to learn how to use her bending abilities; she just did so very quickly and at a very early age, and the show skipped over it (except for her airbender training) because we'd already had a series that was about an Avatar having to learn bending, and it would've been redundant to do the same thing here.
__________________
Christopher L. Bennett Homepage -- Site update 4/8/14 including annotations for Rise of the Federation: Tower of Babel

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28 2013, 04:43 PM   #129
Agent Richard07
Admiral
 
Re: The Legend of Korra - Book Two: Spirits

Christopher wrote: View Post
Nobody who doesn't have the innate potential for bending can learn to bend at all.
That's the current thinking. What if it were wrong? What if people could learn to forge a spiritual connection to the elements consciously and deliberately like an enlightenment or a realization? If Korra could have done that, then her bending would have been a true ingrained knowing as opposed to an ability, and like I said, you can't take that away. You can take away a person's "thing" but you can't undo their understanding. I can take away your fishing rod but if you have the skill and knowledge to make a new one, you can do so and resume fishing again. Something like that would have really empowered Korra. It also would have changed the whole bending paradigm if it ever became known to others. More non-benders would start to think that maybe they could forge a spiritual connection to the elements as well. If I remember correctly, it was stated that people acquired bending from the animals at some point by watching them. That would suggest that this so-called innate ability can be forged and maybe it isn't because of a poor understanding and a belief that it just can't be done. I think it's a nice idea for the world of Avatar and wonder if they'll ever touch on it.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28 2013, 05:16 PM   #130
Christopher
Writer
 
Christopher's Avatar
 
Re: The Legend of Korra - Book Two: Spirits

Agent Richard07 wrote: View Post
That's the current thinking. What if it were wrong? What if people could learn to forge a spiritual connection to the elements consciously and deliberately like an enlightenment or a realization?
Given that the Avatar has a direct connection to the spiritual source, I think that if that were possible, it would already be known.


If Korra could have done that, then her bending would have been a true ingrained knowing as opposed to an ability, and like I said, you can't take that away.
This makes no sense. You're still talking about aspects of a single thing as if it were two separate things. We saw very, very clearly in A:TLA that bending is not an innate knowledge of how to bend. Aang was born with the capacity to bend all the elements, but he had no idea how to use that capacity at first, not until he studied and developed the skill over months of intensive training. So you're totally wrong to say that it isn't already "a true ingrained knowing." Nobody is born knowing how to bend. They have the connection, but learning how to use it does take great discipline and practice.

Remember, bending is analogous to martial arts. Nobody's born with the knowledge of martial arts, but most of us are born with arms and legs, and with study and training and discipline we can learn to practice martial arts with them. But if you get both your legs amputated (assuming a world before prosthetic limbs were invented), you'll never do a karate kick or run up a wall again no matter how much remedial training you do.


If I remember correctly, it was stated that people acquired bending from the animals at some point by watching them. That would suggest that this so-called innate ability can be forged and maybe it isn't because of a poor understanding and a belief that it just can't be done.
Again, this is because you're falsely assuming that innate ability to bend is the same as the knowledge of how to use that ability. That's wrong. Any bender starts out not knowing how to bend. They have the spiritual connection that makes it possible to bend, but they don't know how to use that connection until someone -- or something -- teaches it to them. Again, the analogy is with martial arts, so it's deeply rooted in the idea of training and discipline. (The term kung fu literally means "skill acquired through hard work.") The first benders presumably had the innate spiritual connection to their elements, but they needed the animals to teach them what they could do with that connection.
__________________
Christopher L. Bennett Homepage -- Site update 4/8/14 including annotations for Rise of the Federation: Tower of Babel

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28 2013, 05:19 PM   #131
Mr. Adventure
Admiral
 
Mr. Adventure's Avatar
 
Location: Mr. Adventure
Re: The Legend of Korra - Book Two: Spirits

Arrgh, missed the last two, don't have a series recording set up in my DVR (yet). I'm sure they're "On Demand" but I'm really surprised that Nick doesn't repeat this on Saturday mornings.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28 2013, 06:15 PM   #132
Agent Richard07
Admiral
 
Re: The Legend of Korra - Book Two: Spirits

Christopher wrote: View Post
Given that the Avatar has a direct connection to the spiritual source, I think that if that were possible, it would already be known.
Not necessarily. People didn't always know everything and we're discovering new things all the time. And don't forget, a lot of people have limiting beliefs as well.

Christopher wrote: View Post
Remember, bending is analogous to martial arts. Nobody's born with the knowledge of martial arts, but most of us are born with arms and legs, and with study and training and discipline we can learn to practice martial arts with them. But if you get both your legs amputated (assuming a world before prosthetic limbs were invented), you'll never do a karate kick or run up a wall again no matter how much remedial training you do.
That's a good analogy. Let's grow some legs then. We're dealing with an intangible spiritual force that's not fully understood so who knows, maybe this connection can be forged somehow, assuming that it's not already there and buried deep to begin with.

Christopher wrote: View Post
Again, this is because you're falsely assuming that innate ability to bend is the same as the knowledge of how to use that ability.
What if they're one and the same at the mental or spiritual level? A lot of eastern philosophies hold that enlightenment itself is due to a fundamental understanding that transforms you because of that understanding, so what if bending were the same way? A lot of abilities are just the result of having the right beliefs or eliminating some mental barrier.

Christopher wrote: View Post
The first benders presumably had the innate spiritual connection to their elements, but they needed the animals to teach them what they could do with that connection.
Do we know that for sure? What if that wasn't the case?

I don't mean to sound difficult, I just think that there are some good questions here about what's possible and I'm not willing to resign myself to an "It just can't be done!" mindset. We saw some bending in Book 1 that wasn't possible before.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28 2013, 06:58 PM   #133
Christopher
Writer
 
Christopher's Avatar
 
Re: The Legend of Korra - Book Two: Spirits

Agent Richard07 wrote: View Post
That's a good analogy. Let's grow some legs then.
Just by studying/practicing? How the heck is that supposed to work? You're willfully missing the point of the analogy. Study does not create the potential, it just develops what was there to begin with. If the potential isn't there, it can't be wished into existence.


We're dealing with an intangible spiritual force that's not fully understood
Except that you're choosing to ignore the parts of it we do understand, the rules that have been very clearly and consistently spelled out over four seasons. That's where your argument falls apart. The fact that there are gaps in our knowledge does not mean that we can blithely disregard the knowledge we already have. Just because we don't know how to unify gravity with quantum mechanics, that doesn't mean you can declare gravity imaginary and try to walk off a cliff. The stuff we don't know yet has to be consistent with the stuff we do know.


so who knows, maybe this connection can be forged somehow, assuming that it's not already there and buried deep to begin with.
Let's consider this. At the end of A:TLA, Aang was the only airbender left in the world, and he'd discovered how to energybend, i.e. to take away a person's bending. It logically follows that he would have tried to use energybending in reverse, to create airbending ability in people who didn't have it. Given that the entire Air Nomad civilization was in danger of ceasing to exist and throwing the world permanently out of balance, it was absolutely urgent that he do everything he could to create new airbenders. And he had decades in which to study the problem. So if there were a way to create new airbenders other than standard procreation, Aang would've had a very, very powerful incentive to discover it. And the spiritual forces of the universe would've had a very good reason to make sure he did discover it. But no such method was ever found, despite the urgency of the population crisis. Which makes it quite unlikely that any such method exists. If it could be found, Aang would've found it.


Christopher wrote: View Post
The first benders presumably had the innate spiritual connection to their elements, but they needed the animals to teach them what they could do with that connection.
Do we know that for sure? What if that wasn't the case?
It's the logical extrapolation from what we already know. Again, it's illegitimate to equate "We don't know everything" with "We don't know anything." We actually have been told a great deal about how bending works, and we know from abundant evidence that it requires both the innate potential and the training to learn its use. Hell, that's what both whole series have been about -- the Avatar learning how to use his or her potential.


I don't mean to sound difficult, I just think that there are some good questions here about what's possible and I'm not willing to resign myself to an "It just can't be done!" mindset. We saw some bending in Book 1 that wasn't possible before.
But nothing that violated or erased pre-existing rules -- merely new discoveries that added to them. Metalbending is just a refinement of earthbending; it works by sensing and manipulating non-metallic impurities within metal, so it's really just earthbending with very small quantities of earth. We saw last season that a highly purified metal is immune to bending. Bloodbending, similarly, is just waterbending with the water in blood. They're new applications of existing principles -- they aren't violations of those principles.
__________________
Christopher L. Bennett Homepage -- Site update 4/8/14 including annotations for Rise of the Federation: Tower of Babel

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28 2013, 07:03 PM   #134
RoJoHen
Awesome
 
RoJoHen's Avatar
 
Location: QC, IL, USA
Re: The Legend of Korra - Book Two: Spirits

Besides, if anybody could become a bender just by practicing really hard, you could potentially have multiple Avatars running around. If a non-bender can teach themselves how to bend water, what's to stop them from teaching themselves how to bend the rest of the elements too?
__________________
I am the Quintessential Admiral.
RoJoHen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28 2013, 08:51 PM   #135
Agent Richard07
Admiral
 
Re: The Legend of Korra - Book Two: Spirits

I'm not talking about just studying really hard in hopes of learning bending. I'm talking about something more fundamental than that. I'm talking about a serious level of discapline where one would see the mechanism behind bending, truly understand it and then learn to apply it.

How does this relate to my suggestion for Korra's journey? Korra can bend all four elements, something no one else can do. Then she lost her ability, then got it back. How did this happen? I don't know and she doesn't know either but her ability came back and all is good. I thought a good journey for her might have been to go through what I described above… First she (possibly with the help of a guide) reaches into herself, perhaps through the discapline of meditiation and finds the exact mechanism that allows bending to work, then having seen this mechanism, she truly develops an understanding of what it is and how it works and is able to recreate it. This way, she doesn't just get her bending back, she knows it and how it works so that even if it were taken again, it wouldn't be gone because it's too much a part of her to be lost. In this, she grows as a person and as a powerful avatar.

How does this relate to anyone learning to bend? There's a mechanism involved in bending. If Korra can reach into the secrets of life, then others can too. They can see the mechanism behind bending, understand it and learn to apply that understanding. If they have the same innate ability that any bender or avatar has, that makes things easier. If they don't, maybe they can study this missing ingredient we call "innate ability" and recreate that too. In this, bending becomes a real science that can be repeated instead of a spiritual thing that only special people can do.

Christopher wrote: View Post
Agent Richard07 wrote: View Post
That's a good analogy. Let's grow some legs then.
Just by studying/practicing? How the heck is that supposed to work? You're willfully missing the point of the analogy. Study does not create the potential, it just develops what was there to begin with. If the potential isn't there, it can't be wished into existence.
Anyone can learn kung fu. They have it in them. If they don't have legs, they'd need to go a step further and get some. They'd need to learn something about genetics, cloning and a lot of other medical stuff in order to get those legs but they can learn kung fu. Bottom line is that it's possible for anyone if they understand the mechanism and have or develop the means. That's what I'm getting at and I imagine that developing bending is easier than growing legs. In fact, it probably could be "wished" into being because as a spiritual force, the work would be done on the inside.

Christopher wrote: View Post
Except that you're choosing to ignore the parts of it we do understand, the rules that have been very clearly and consistently spelled out over four seasons. That's where your argument falls apart. The fact that there are gaps in our knowledge does not mean that we can blithely disregard the knowledge we already have. Just because we don't know how to unify gravity with quantum mechanics, that doesn't mean you can declare gravity imaginary and try to walk off a cliff.
I wouldn't declare gravity imaginary and walk off a cliff. I'd try to understand how gravity and quantum mechanics work so that I could understand and develop a mechanism involving antigravity before stepping off.

Christopher wrote: View Post
Let's consider this. At the end of A:TLA, Aang was the only airbender left in the world, and he'd discovered how to energybend, i.e. to take away a person's bending. It logically follows that he would have tried to use energybending in reverse, to create airbending ability in people who didn't have it. Given that the entire Air Nomad civilization was in danger of ceasing to exist and throwing the world permanently out of balance, it was absolutely urgent that he do everything he could to create new airbenders. And he had decades in which to study the problem. So if there were a way to create new airbenders other than standard procreation, Aang would've had a very, very powerful incentive to discover it. And the spiritual forces of the universe would've had a very good reason to make sure he did discover it. But no such method was ever found, despite the urgency of the population crisis. Which makes it quite unlikely that any such method exists. If it could be found, Aang would've found it.
Lots of scientists and spiritual seekers spend entire lifetimes searching for answers and never find them. Doesn't mean that they aren't there. Maybe a means does exist to create other air benders it's just that Aang couldn't find it in his lifetime. The fact that someone can bend air suggests that a mechanism exist to make it possible, it's just that no one has found a way to duplicate it.

Christopher wrote: View Post
Agent Richard07 wrote: View Post
We saw some bending in Book 1 that wasn't possible before.
But nothing that violated or erased pre-existing rules -- merely new discoveries that added to them. Metalbending is just a refinement of earthbending; it works by sensing and manipulating non-metallic impurities within metal, so it's really just earthbending with very small quantities of earth. We saw last season that a highly purified metal is immune to bending. Bloodbending, similarly, is just waterbending with the water in blood. They're new applications of existing principles -- they aren't violations of those principles.
I was thinking about when Amon was able to bloodbend without a full moon. He bent the rules.

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
Besides, if anybody could become a bender just by practicing really hard, you could potentially have multiple Avatars running around.
Not just "study hard" as I said. But yeah, everyone would have avatar-like abilities. Or at least everyone who wanted them.

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
If a non-bender can teach themselves how to bend water, what's to stop them from teaching themselves how to bend the rest of the elements too?
Nothing. You'd have a total paradigm shift. Bending and avatar-ing would no longer be what the world thought it was.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
the last airbender, the legend of korra

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:38 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.