CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller

Saldana In The Book of Life

Cracked’s New Sci-Fi Satire
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old September 17 2013, 03:32 AM   #76
Putting the F-U Back in FUN!

Re: The Legend of Korra - Book Two: Spirits

Just finished watching the premiere.

Excellent!

This is a great series, IMHO. And the first chapter did not disappoint.

Korra is so different than Ang. It's very interesting to see her progression.

Uncle's got something bad going on.

“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States...The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge'.” - Isaac Asimov
1001001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17 2013, 05:16 AM   #77
Kestrel
Vice Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
I don't see how he can be blamed for the policies of his predecessors in the chieftainship.
Agreed, yeah. I don't so much blame him for what wasn't done in the past as his... parochial?... attitude now. But then, snobbish likely-villain.

I guess that's the problem... for pre-modern culture and technology, they can draw on purely Asian referents, but for modern technology, the only available historical precedents are either from the West or influenced by the West. So it's hard to keep a Western look from creeping in. Still, they did a good job with the Satomobiles, making them look like an Asian take on '20s cars (though I doubt they have very good aerodynamics).
Yeah, nothing to be done about that overall I'm afraid.

Korra's not prone to fear or shame, and is self-assured enough that she probably doesn't feel much guilt. Lies and illusion are the problems, though; she's often been less than honest with herself about her own fears and vulnerabilities.
I'm... not so sure about her not being prone to fear or shame. As you note yourself, she's been less than honest with herself about her own fears. She's only recently stopped being a very sheltered child raised with the expectation of saving the world, and is now a very emotional and hormonal teenager. And both Amon and - especially - Tarrlok were able to use her fears and shame against her very effectively.

That said, good point about the chakra system and how it may have been fairly unique to Aang's journey.
Old September 17 2013, 11:24 AM   #78
Edit_XYZ
Fleet Captain

Kestrel wrote: View Post
I guess that's the problem... for pre-modern culture and technology, they can draw on purely Asian referents, but for modern technology, the only available historical precedents are either from the West or influenced by the West. So it's hard to keep a Western look from creeping in. Still, they did a good job with the Satomobiles, making them look like an Asian take on '20s cars (though I doubt they have very good aerodynamics).
"that's the problem", "I'm afraid".
Why is a problem and worthy of regret the very limited introducing of western culture (and of the caucasian race - possibly) in "Avatar"?

Affirmative action here and there - but this is just ridiculous.
Old September 18 2013, 02:08 AM   #79
JD
Admiral

Because a lot of people liked the fact that it drew almost exclusively from Asian sources, and now seeing more Western influences feels like they are going against that.
Old September 18 2013, 02:20 AM   #80
Reverend
Rear Admiral

^That's probably because most of the show has so far taken place in Republic City. That appears to be changing so the western influence should be somewhat less pronounced. Mind you, I always got the impression that the city was equal parts pre-WWI New York & Shanghai, so I don't fully subscribe to the idea that the western influence is all encompassing.
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18 2013, 03:06 AM   #81
Christopher
Writer

JD wrote: View Post
Because a lot of people liked the fact that it drew almost exclusively from Asian sources, and now seeing more Western influences feels like they are going against that.
Not so much a matter of liking as a matter of internal consistency. Four prior seasons have established this as a world whose cultures and ethnicities do not include anything paralleling Europe or Africa in our world. It's not impossible that they could introduce some small fringe population that resembled Europeans or Africans, but the leaders of innovation and industry we've seen in the two series have all been from the known nations, so logically anything they invented would reflect their own cultures rather than some hitherto-unknown Europe analogue.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18 2013, 12:27 PM   #82
Reverend
Rear Admiral

If you actually look at the art design on the cars, planes, ships etc. I'd say they do indeed have a very Asian inspired flare to them. They're no more European inspired than the wooden carts and airships from the original series.
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18 2013, 01:01 PM   #83
Chensams
Vice Admiral

Very entertaining.
Old September 18 2013, 02:46 PM   #84
Edit_XYZ
Fleet Captain

Edit_XYZ wrote: View Post
Kestrel wrote: View Post
"that's the problem", "I'm afraid".
Why is a problem and worthy of regret the very limited introducing of western culture (and of the caucasian race - possibly) in "Avatar"?

Affirmative action here and there - but this is just ridiculous.
JD wrote: View Post
So - expanding the universe of a show is a bad thing?
I disagree. I find the 'small universe syndrome' undesirable.

And the motivation given for this desire to encase the world depicted in the show, to exclude anything relating to western society and even race - self-consistency - is quite unconvincing:
The world is a large place; for example, just because the asians/europeans/etc had no idea of the civilisations existing in the Americas does not mean they did not exist.

Last edited by Edit_XYZ; September 18 2013 at 02:57 PM.
Edit_XYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18 2013, 04:39 PM   #85
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

As someone already said we had hicks in TLA, so it's not out of no where that there might be a red head.

And to me the show is now like the early 1920s and somehow the red head fits well.
Old September 18 2013, 04:56 PM   #86
Christopher
Writer

bigdaddy wrote: View Post
As someone already said we had hicks in TLA, so it's not out of no where that there might be a red head.
Well, despite their accents, the Foggy Swamp Tribe were still designed as Asians, with names like Due, Huu, and Tho.

Old September 18 2013, 05:06 PM   #87
RoJoHen
Awesome

Maybe the red head was meant to be "exotic."
Old September 19 2013, 12:17 AM   #88
Redfern
Commodore

Here's a thought. Probably not what the creators intended, but it could still work. I assume their film technology is equivalent to the real world's 1920s, monochrome and silent. Maybe as part of the development of the tech, they discovered red photographs with a richer "depth" than purely black hair. In greyscale it would register as a deep grey bordering on black (hence the reason they dropped the idea of Spock being a red "Martian"; he'd appear to be wearing "black-face" on B/W TVs), but it would also have "highlights" that jet black hair might not convey on camera.

I only recently learned that Elsa Lanchester had vibrant red hair and the hairdressers for "The Bride of Frankenstein" weaved her actual hair around a wire frame to create that iconic Nefertiti silhouette. I had assumed the Bride's hair was black because that's the way it appeared on camera.

Anyway, that's my crazy a$$ "in story" theory.

Sincerely,

Bill

Freighter Tails: the Misadventures of Mzzkiti
Redfern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19 2013, 12:43 AM   #89
Christopher
Writer

^That's very creative. I like it.

Old September 19 2013, 03:55 AM   #90
Christopher
Writer

I just realized something I'm not happy about. We now know that Korra's grandfather was the chief of the Northern Water Tribe, that her father was the heir apparent to the chieftainship. That means that, technically...

Korra is a princess.

That's just so... Disney. So conventional a role for a female lead in animation. Besides, being the Avatar is enough of a special/chosen role. This is just overkill.