Quinto Sports New Trek Uniform
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Star Trek: Renegades Released Early
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Final Trek To Boldly Go Video Honors Nimoy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Star Trek Timelines Game
By: T'Bonz on Aug 24

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy All your nerd stuff goes here.

Old November 18 2013, 02:35 AM   #376
M.A.C.O.
Fleet Captain

Re: The Legend of Korra - Book Two: Spirits

Christopher wrote: View Post
Agent Richard07 wrote: View Post
Some of these spirits are dangerous.
All the more reason why their presence will probably promote new technology -- such as defenses against dangerous spirits.

Hmm... like, say, maybe something using proton streams to capture them and direct them into some kind of trap...?
^ Capturing Spirits and developing ways to fight against them makes me think of 'Equinox' and Captain Ransom. Lmao
M.A.C.O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18 2013, 03:26 AM   #377
Peach Wookiee
Cuddly Mod of Doom

Guess Bolin' s next mover might be "Spirit Catchers."
Peach Wookiee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 18 2013, 04:02 AM   #378
M.A.C.O.
Fleet Captain

^ The Sequel can be titled "Spirited Away". lol

I just had a thought. With Raava and Vattu being yin&yang / light and dark; one cannot exist without the other. Since Korra destroyed Vattu/Unallok in the physical world, does that mean that a cycle of dark avatar's will now begin?
Old November 18 2013, 04:27 AM   #379
Christopher
Writer

AllStarEntprise wrote: View Post
I just had a thought. With Raava and Vattu being yin&yang / light and dark; one cannot exist without the other. Since Korra destroyed Vattu/Unallok in the physical world, does that mean that a cycle of dark avatar's will now begin?
I don't think so. Unalaq and Vaatu believed that dissipating Raava would end the Avatar cycle. So since Korra dissipated Vaatu (and Unalaq) in the same way, that suggests there won't be a dark Avatar cycle.

See, one has to look at it in Eastern terms, which include a very, very long and cyclical sense of time. Saying that Raava and Vaatu's coexistence is eternal doesn't mean they have to be equally present at every moment, because eternity is really, really long. One or the other can be dissipated for a whole 10,000 years, but that's a temporary setback for an eternal spirit. However, on a human scale, it's much more permanent. If Vaatu had won, he would've brought 10,000 years of darkness and chaos, but only 10,000. Raava could've come back at the start of the next 10-millennium cycle and wrestled him back into submission, but as far as humanity was concerned, it would still have been the end of the world, since nobody human would still be around when the time came, and maybe the whole human race would be extinct.
Old November 18 2013, 03:36 PM   #380
Reverend
Rear Admiral

SG-17 wrote: View Post
Would the Avatar that exists 10,000 years in the future even be from Earth at all?

After the technological advancements seen in the past 70 years after the end of the 100 Years War, the 10,000 year time frame becomes more science fiction and less fantasy steampunk.
That's more or less what I was thinking, hence 'Dune' & 'Spirits Within'.

Of course technological development isn't a straight-line progression. We saw in the flashback to Wan's time how relatively little advancement was made over the last 10,000 years with most of it taking place in the last century and a half...not unlike the real world I suppose.

Still at some point it's going to have to plateau or regress and maybe stagnate a bit, otherwise it's a story about non-corporeal space consciousnesses dropping monoliths on cavemen.

It would be cool I think to see where they could go with this IP into a science fiction setting. Is the spirit world bound to just this one planet, or does it border the entire universe? Would the spirits travel with the humans into colonising space (nature spirits would be handy for terraforming, no?) If they find life on other worlds, will there be alien spirits too? How would element bending work in this world? They already have power stations run on fire-bending, why not a spaceship?

The possibilities are interesting to say the least.
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19 2013, 12:08 AM   #381
FPAlpha
Vice Admiral

I highly doubt that we'd ever see a SF version of Avatar but it's always nice to speculate.

Given 10.000 of technological advance i doubt the Avatar would have much power anymore at least not in the fighting category.

Much of their power can be easily countered by technology.. normal fire is meaningless for a full body combat suit (think something like Iron Man) as well as water based powers (Ice as the hardest thing water can produce?).

About the only thing halfway effective would be Earth and Air to unbalance the opponent but none of the standard bending practices could harm an armored soldier effectively.

However the Avatar could still be the spiritual guide of humanity working as the bond between Spirits and Mankind and ensuring peace which is their purpose after all.
Old November 20 2013, 01:05 AM   #382
ChowdaHead
Lieutenant Commander

Kelthaz wrote: View Post
I don't think anything here was a deus ex machina. That refers to a contrived solution introduced without any setup or foundation in what's come before.
Vaatu's prison was, very conveniently for Korra, a magical tree that turns you into a super powered giant if you meditate inside it.

Also, Jinora's magical powers that saved Korra in the end. Yes, we know she has a strong connection to the spirits, but that does not explain her powers.
exactly. I mean lazy is putting it lightly. maybe they were just really eager to get to book 3 and thus book 2 got the shaft.
ChowdaHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20 2013, 06:43 AM   #383
M.A.C.O.
Fleet Captain

Allegedly you pronounce swastika as Wan in Mandarin Chinese. The Nazi's perverted the meaning of the Swastika. Do you think it can be taken back and salvaged?

Also notice the number 10,000 there.

Last edited by M.A.C.O.; November 20 2013 at 07:00 AM.
Old November 20 2013, 02:45 PM   #384
Christopher
Writer

According to the Avatar Wiki, the first Avatar is named for the word wan (萬) which means "ten thousand" (since he lived ten thousand years ago). So yeah, I suppose that's the same character (I wasn't sure at first, since there are a lot of homophones in Chinese).

In Asia, the swastika is still regarded as a positive symbol the way it's always been there -- although unfortunately there are many in Asia who don't seem to understand the horrors of what the Nazis did, since there are some subcultures that embrace Nazi "chic" and think it's just a fun way of dressing or something. But anyway, given that 2/3 of the human race lives in Asia, I think it's inevitable that over the broad swath of history, the positive uses of the swastika will outweigh its abuse by the Nazis. Though hopefully we won't forget the lessons of the Holocaust in the process.

(Interesting that wan means both "ten thousand" and "uncountably many." The Greek "myriad" has the exact same dual meaning.)
Old November 20 2013, 04:24 PM   #385
intrinsical
Commodore

As a chinese Singaporean, this is all very interesting to me. In all my life and travels throughout the region, I have never seen the swastika used in Asia. It has no meaning to me other than as the german world war 2 symbol of oppression.

AllStarEnterprise, where did you get the image from? The first three are indeed valid chinese words, but the swastika symbol isn't. The character for ten thousand in chinese is either 萬 (old way of writing) or 万 (modern or "simplified" way of writing). The swastika symbol cannot even be written down without breaking at least three or more of the chinese calligraphic rules. Its like saying you can use the swastika symbol in place of the letter O in english. Its just completely unnatural.

Interesting that wan means both "ten thousand" and "uncountably many." The Greek "myriad" has the exact same dual meaning.
You're close but not exactly correct. Wan does mean ten thousand, but you will only get the meaning of "uncountably many" by combining two wans (萬萬) together as a phrase. It isn't used in modern chinese, but I still regularly hear it being used in period drama shows normally in reference to the emperor. For example to formally address the emperor, one would say something like "Greetings to the emperor, may he reign for a hundred million years". The only meaning 萬萬 has in the modern language is to literally refer to the value of one hundred million (ten thousand multiplied by ten thousand).
Old November 20 2013, 07:30 PM   #386
RoJoHen
Awesome

Book 3 will be titled "Change," and some of the episodes are already in post-production.

http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2013/...nge/?xid=LOKFB
Old November 20 2013, 09:34 PM   #387
Agent Richard07
Admiral

^ I was expecting an announcement any day now. I set up a Book 3 thread here.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23 2013, 04:06 AM   #388
Peach Wookiee
Cuddly Mod of Doom

Watching the finale now...

The scene with Bumi, Kya and Tenzin running from the spider proves their heritage.
Old November 23 2013, 02:01 PM   #389
Mr Light
Admiral

View Mr Light's Twitter Profile

Unlike the rest of you I waited to see it on television

Excellent finale, but a few minor quibbles.

I did find it terribly convenient that Korra could meditate inside the Tree of Life and create a monster spirit form as powerful as the embodiment of all darkness in the Earth...

While the Avatar/Avatar fight was pretty cool, the entire time I was thinking how much more epic and impressive and violent the Aaang/Ozai fight was.

Kya should have stayed with Korra to fight the bad guys rather than look for Jinora. If she had been there, maybe Unaloq wouldn't have beaten Korra and become the Dark Avatar.

Minus 10,000 points for not showing Koh the Face Stealer this entire season.

Plus 10,000 points for the Zhao cameo. Cancels out.

I always regretted how the spirit world faded into the background as the original show went on, so bringing them back in a big way is a very welcome change to me. It will make the 1930s steampunk setting a lot more interesting.

When Raava "died", I thought that Jinora would become the new spirit inside Korra. That would have made a really interesting dynamic with her father figure Tenzin.

I vaguely remembered that you weren't able to use your bending powers inside the spirit world, is that incorrect?

Given that Vaatu was dispersed into a million pieces in the real world, I wonder if those fragments will influence/enpower bad guys in the coming seasons.

Do Kya and Bumi have their own family, children, loved ones?
Old November 23 2013, 02:18 PM   #390
Peach Wookiee
Cuddly Mod of Doom

^Hey, I waited too! And I expect the series finale of Korra to be more epic. And the question regarding bending in the spirit world was discussed earlier. If you enter through a portal physically, your powers stay. If you enter spiritually like Jinora and Korra did previously, you can't bend.

One of the things I loved about the finale was how we are ourselves, not our parents' reflections. Tenzin finally accepted that while he is Aang's son, he shouldn't try to be exactly like Aang.