Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Takei Has Growth Removed

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old November 10 2013, 08:12 AM   #331
ChowdaHead
Lieutenant Commander

Re: The Legend of Korra - Book Two: Spirits

Considering how little character devolpment Unalaq and Vaatu have had during this season, I think it would be a mistake to have them become the dark avatar and the ultimate villain of this season. I like the idea of dark avatar, I just don’t want it to manifest in that form. I have faith in these writers. I really respected them acknowledging how bratty Korra can be and throwing in the idea that her being more positive in life is going to improve the balance of the world. MY THEORY: Vatuu gets released, Unalaq pleads with him to enter his body. Vatuu decided its better to enter JINORA. I think this is why there has been so much set up for Jinora being so in tune with her spirituality. This will draw Vaatu to her. And the emotional weight will be incredible. Our heroes will be fighting for and against someone they deeply care for. You saw it here first folks!
ChowdaHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10 2013, 09:36 AM   #332
Christopher
Writer

Mr Light wrote: View Post
Doesn't this raise a huge issue, though? If a human just decides to go into the Spirit World they become immortal?
On the contrary -- we were clearly shown the corpse of Professor Zei, who died in Wan Shi Tong's library. If you go physically into the Spirit World, you're as mortal as you are in the material world. Iroh said he "left his body behind." His spirit crossed over through meditation, the way Korra's and Jinora's did, and he left his physical body -- which must've been quite old by that point -- to die. So Iroh is dead, not immortal. But his spirit lives on. Presumably if his spirit had still been in his body when he died, his spirit would have been reincarnated in another body. But by making it into the Spirit World, he's apparently left the reincarnation cycle behind, i.e. attained nirvana.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10 2013, 09:41 AM   #333
Mr Light
Admiral

Given that Wan had to allow Raava into his body for the joining... can Vaatu force himself into Jinora's body and take possession that way?

Have they established that reincarnation is for people other than the Avatar? The Avatar only reincarnates because of Raava going into another person's body and retaining the memories of the previous hosts.

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10 2013, 10:06 AM   #334
Christopher
Writer

Have they established that reincarnation is for people other than the Avatar? The Avatar only reincarnates because of Raava going into another person's body and retaining the memories of the previous hosts.
I don't think that's true. Just before Wan died, Raava said that she would stay with him through all his future lives. That implies that the reincarnation was a property of his own human spirit and she was tagging along for the ride.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10 2013, 10:34 AM   #335
Reverend
Rear Admiral

Given that this world works along the lines of Eastern philosophies, I think it's safe to say reincarnation isn't just for the Avatar. It'd make sense since Bolin is clearly the reincarnation of Momo.
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10 2013, 10:59 AM   #336
Mr Light
Admiral

You mean Momo is the reincarnation of Giatsu!

I think I read somewhere that they originally planned that and later changed their minds.

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10 2013, 03:08 PM   #337
Hound of UIster
Rear Admiral

Reverend wrote: View Post
Given that this world works along the lines of Eastern philosophies, I think it's safe to say reincarnation isn't just for the Avatar. It'd make sense since Bolin is clearly the reincarnation of Momo.
And undoubtedly Asami is Appa.
Hound of UIster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10 2013, 09:03 PM   #338
Reverend
Rear Admiral

Hound of UIster wrote: View Post
Reverend wrote: View Post
And undoubtedly Asami is Appa.
Well that's just silly...Mako is Appa. Asami is unquestionably Foaming Mouth Guy.
Old November 11 2013, 03:15 AM   #339
SG-17
Commodore

Christopher wrote: View Post
I don't think that's true. Just before Wan died, Raava said that she would stay with him through all his future lives. That implies that the reincarnation was a property of his own human spirit and she was tagging along for the ride.
It could be simply the result of their merging. Raava and Wan are one in the same. They are a single spirit (just with distinct personalities), they can't die... unless they enter the Avatar State, in which it seems that the Avatar Spirit (Raava and the other Avatars) live in the Spirit World until they are called upon and then physically possess the current Avatar. Similar to how Tui and La could die because they possessed the bodies of Koi fish or how the Spirits in Beginnings could be killed because they were in the physical world.

Which makes me think...

SG-17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11 2013, 03:21 AM   #340
Agent Richard07
Admiral

I agree with Reverend. I think reincarnation is the norm for everyone. And as mentioned, the way Raava told Wan that they'd be together through all his lifetimes supports this.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11 2013, 05:12 AM   #341
RoJoHen
Awesome

SG-17 wrote: View Post
I am a bit surprised that they included this scene in the episode.

This was my single favorite moment in the entire episode. It's pretty fucked up.

You mean Momo is the reincarnation of Giatsu!

I think I read somewhere that they originally planned that and later changed their minds.
It's pretty heavily implied in the episode where Momo is introduced (Ep 3, I think?), but it's more or less dropped after that point. Although, Momo is often the only one present with Aang during some of his defining moments, like in the penultimate episode on the Lion Turtle.
Old November 12 2013, 12:14 AM   #342
Peach Wookiee
Cuddly Mod of Doom

I think that Bolin is more like Sokka. But Katara didn't say when he died!
Peach Wookiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12 2013, 01:06 AM   #343
Reverend
Rear Admiral

^Pretty sure she said he's "gone". OK, it's not explicit, but what else could it mean?

[EDIT] Nevermind, I misread and missed the word "when".

That reminds me, anyone else think it's a little odd that Aang died in what I guess were his middle 60's? Nobody's alluded to anything nasty happening to him, so one can only assume it was natural causes, but aren't these monk types supposed to be unusually long lived? I also vaguely recall something about Kyoshi live to be over a century old, but I'm not sure if that was just a date related continuity error. Maybe the century spent in the ice has something to do with it?

On the other hand, if all the Avatars averaged a century old a piece, then there could only have been around 100 avatars since Wan and I always got the impression it was significantly more than that.

Last edited by Reverend; November 12 2013 at 01:40 AM.
Old November 12 2013, 01:17 AM   #344
Peach Wookiee
Cuddly Mod of Doom

Apparently Aang's time in the iceberg caught up with him. He was 12 when he was encased in the ice bubble and spent 100 years in the Avatar State.

And I know she said he's "gone," but there's no date for it. I was wondering if he died just before Bolin was born. Something about Bolin reminds me of Sokka.
Peach Wookiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12 2013, 01:45 AM   #345
Agent Richard07
Admiral

Avatar Kyoshi lived to be 230. I don't know what that's attributed to though.

And someone on another board apparently tried to count all the avatar statues and said that there were 186 avatars. No official number has been confirmed though. If that's accurate then that would average out to one avatar every 54 years or so, meaning that many were killed or died young.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote