Horse 1, Shatner 0
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Drexler TV Alert
By: T'Bonz on Jul 26

Retro Review: His Way
By: Michelle on Jul 26

MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old November 3 2013, 02:39 AM   #301
Peach Wookiee
Cuddly Mod of Doom

Re: The Legend of Korra - Book Two: Spirits

That would be interesting if Korra channeled Aang with his kids around. How would they react?
Peach Wookiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3 2013, 09:07 AM   #302
Reverend
Rear Admiral

It's still pretty unclear how that even works. IIRC we've only seen it happen twice and both times it was to deliver a brief and very direct message; Rokku to the Fire Sages and Kyoshi to those earth benders who's ancestor she killed.

It seems to require a degree of urgency and not the kind of thing that's done lightly. Mostly I think it's because no Avatar would impose their persona on a living incarnation without good reason. Just given the sheer number of them, the clamour could drive a person mad. Think Dune's portrayal of Other Memory. As for Aang specifically, I think he's enlightened enough to know that his time has past and that he should not meddle in the affairs of his children.

Did Rokku ever speak directly to Zuko? I'm sure there were a number of people on Kyoshi Island who were descendent of the Avatar (maybe Suki for all we know) but Kyoshi didn't do anything about it. Hell I wouldn't be surprised if Gyatso was related to Yangchen. Didn't the Guru say something about some relationships spanning multiple re-incarnations? Hell, after ten millennia of serial re-incarnations half the planet is probably descended from one Avatar or another.

...but it still would be cool to see Aang with his grown kids regardless.
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3 2013, 08:34 PM   #303
Peach Wookiee
Cuddly Mod of Doom

I don't think it would count as meddling if Aang was apologizing, would it?
Old November 3 2013, 09:12 PM   #304
Reverend
Rear Admiral

Any interaction then. It's Korra's life now, not his and I'm pretty sure letting go of past attachments is one of the Chakras.
Old November 4 2013, 04:34 AM   #305
Peach Wookiee
Cuddly Mod of Doom

Did every Avatar have a chat with someone like Guru Pathik?
Old November 4 2013, 08:08 AM   #306
Reverend
Rear Admiral

Well they're all supposed to have mastered their spiritual self, no? Regardless, we know for a fact Aang did.
Old November 4 2013, 02:12 PM   #307
Christopher
Writer

Peach Wookiee wrote: View Post
Did every Avatar have a chat with someone like Guru Pathik?
Most Avatars had years of training and a large support structure to help them adjust to their role. Had Aang's upbringing gone as planned, he would've had several more years of training by the monks before he was even told he was the Avatar, and then he would've had extensive help from the monks and the spiritual establishments of the other nations to help him train and master his abilities. But Aang was told before he was ready, then he ran away, fell into suspended animation, and woke up in an era where all the other airbenders were dead and the whole Avatar support structure had been destroyed or driven underground, and then he had less than a year to save the world and thus had to accelerate his training, finding teachers where he could. Guru Pathik was fortunately available (or perhaps made available by destiny) to help him through a crisis, but that, like the rest of Aang's training, was kind of a makeshift substitute for the way an Avatar's training would normally go.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4 2013, 05:03 PM   #308
Agent Richard07
Admiral

Book 1 was animated by Studio Mir, then they switched to Studio Pierrot for Book 2 and then back to Studio Mir midway through. Not counting the more artistically done "Beginnings" two-parter, the upcoming episode will be the first episode of the season to be done by Studio Mir. A lot of people are looking forward to it, saying that the animation this year hasn't been very good but I haven't noticed anything different. Have any of you? The only thing I noticed was the long delay between seasons. I'm guessing it's because there were difficulties with Pierrot.

Blurb
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4 2013, 05:33 PM   #309
Peach Wookiee
Cuddly Mod of Doom

Pierrot is the animation studio that does "Bleach," IIRC. I imagine it's pretty busy. And I also hadn't noticed much difference. It's not like StarToons versus Sunwoo...
Old November 4 2013, 07:22 PM   #310
Christopher
Writer

The animation has looked a little less fluid and full to me, but not by much, and only occasionally.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4 2013, 07:33 PM   #311
Reverend
Rear Admiral

Yeah, it's subtle but there is a difference. Last season's fight scenes seemed to have a bit more energy and flow to them.
Old November 4 2013, 11:42 PM   #312
Mr Light
Admiral

I never noticed a difference. Both seasons have looked gorgeous.

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5 2013, 04:45 AM   #313
JD
Admiral

I don't remember noticing any real obvious differences.
Old November 5 2013, 11:48 AM   #314
Reverend
Rear Admiral

The art design is fine, it's the actual animation (mostly just the action scenes) that looks a little off. And I stress *little* since it's barely noticeable if you're not looking for it. It's not a criticism, just an observation. Every animation studio dose things slightly differently and it's not about better or worse.
Old November 8 2013, 05:37 PM   #315
Agent Richard07
Admiral

Legend of Korra star Janet Varney shows off her bending skills while promoting her Kickstarter project...

Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote