Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old January 14 2012, 02:40 AM   #1
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile
Fantastic Four Film Reboot May Have a Director?

This just popped up...and I've been wondering what the status of the reboot was. I have no desire to see "Chronicle" at all but I guess this is good news.

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Chron...oot-28857.html

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14 2012, 05:47 AM   #2
davejames
Vice Admiral

Re: Fantastic Four Film Reboot May Have a Director?

Eh, I guess it would be nice to have a richer and more epic Fantastic Four film.... but I can't say it's something I'm really dying to see.

As flawed as the previous movies were, they were still a decent amount of fun (and not really that far off in tone from the comics), and did allow these characters to show off their powers pretty well.

I just don't see a pressing need to revisit them anytime soon.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14 2012, 06:01 AM   #3
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

I do. Outside of Chris Evans and Michael Chiklis, I thought the previous FF movie blew serious chunks. I liked the much-maligned Roger Corman FF movie more than either of the big-budget movies that we've had.

I don't know anything about this possible director, but I hope FOX puts a real talent at the helm. FOX's Tom Rothman recently commented on how Marvel Studios have raised the bar on super-hero movies and that FOX would have to raise their sights with their Marvel properties in order to compensate.
Old January 14 2012, 06:06 AM   #4
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

^ Agreed. I've become a huge FF fan and want to see them treated with respect. The original two films were okay but extremely flawed.

Old January 14 2012, 06:27 AM   #5
23skidoo
Admiral

Well I thought the films were fine. Jessica Alba was a bit miscast as Sue, IMO but she grew on me. The others were perfectly cast, as far as I'm concerned.

Presumably the reboot is needed in order to bring the FF in line with the current Marvel Universe series of films (don't be surprised if Nick Fury shows up in the new Spider-Man as well as this one). Since Evans is now Captain America they'd need to do some sort of rejigging. But I hope they keep Chiklis as the Thing. He was so perfect in the part that it's his voice I now hear when I read Ben Grimm in the comics.

Alex
"These are historical documents - preserving them is important. Tarting them up for a night out in the twenty-first century is unnecessary" - Toby Hadoke, "Should mistakes in old episodes of Doctor Who be fixed on DVD" (Doctor Who Magazine #445)
23skidoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14 2012, 06:33 AM   #6
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

^ Um Fox owns Fantastic Four. Sony owns Spider-Man. Fury won't be showing up in either. They're not rebooting this to "bring it in line" with the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Fox is just restarting their superhero comics line. They're rebooting "Daredevil" as well. We should be getting an update on this pretty soon as well.

The cast was okay. Alba as Sue was a bit miscast...it was the writing that was terrible. Tim Story wasn't a great director for the films either. Sean Astin would have been interesting since he lost out to Story. I'd still be interested in hearing what his pitch was to Fox.

Old January 14 2012, 06:36 AM   #7
TemporalFlux
Commodore

This new FF movie will be about as connected to Avengers as X-men First Class and Wolverine are connected to Avengers. That said, Fox can't necessarily stop Hugh Jackman, Samuel L Jackson, etc. from making unnamed cameos; I doubt the actors were barred in their contracts. It would probably come down to director's discretion.
TemporalFlux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14 2012, 06:47 AM   #8
Skywalker
Admiral

Dammit, no! Fox is supposed to do nothing with the property so that the rights can revert to Marvel!
Skywalker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 14 2012, 06:57 AM   #9
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

^ Yeah. I've stated for a while now that I would love Marvel to regain the film rights to Fantastic Four and Daredevil.

Old January 14 2012, 11:23 AM   #10
Silent_Bob
Fleet Captain

TemporalFlux wrote: View Post
This new FF movie will be about as connected to Avengers as X-men First Class and Wolverine are connected to Avengers. That said, Fox can't necessarily stop Hugh Jackman, Samuel L Jackson, etc. from making unnamed cameos; I doubt the actors were barred in their contracts. It would probably come down to director's discretion.
I would imagine the likenesses of the characters are covered by the license agreements. So while Hugh Jackman could turn up in Avengers 2 as Mr W. Olverine, the grouchy head cook at the Avengers Mansion, he wouldnt be able to look anything like the Wolverine he's portrayed in the X-men films.
Old January 14 2012, 11:33 AM   #11
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

Turtletrekker wrote: View Post
I don't know anything about this possible director, but I hope FOX puts a real talent at the helm. FOX's Tom Rothman recently commented on how Marvel Studios have raised the bar on super-hero movies and that FOX would have to raise their sights with their Marvel properties in order to compensate.
Agreed 100%. I hope that this guy is a genuine up and coming talent, who will prove to be the ideal choice for this material; hopefully it's not just Fox getting the cheapest option available.
Old January 14 2012, 11:37 AM   #12
stonester1
Rear Admiral

Chronicle is one of my must see films of '12. And man, the FF deserve FAR better films than they have gotten so far.
Old April 27 2012, 11:09 PM   #13
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

We've had a lack of news about the reboot for a long while, but Fox confirms that Josh Trank is indeed developing the film right and may even still direct.

http://collider.com/tom-rothman-fant...icle-2/162287/

Old April 27 2012, 11:59 PM   #14
Brikar99
Rear Admiral

"Chronicle" was great. I'll totally keep an eye out for this.
Old April 28 2012, 12:27 AM   #15
The Lensman
Fleet Captain

Admiral_Young wrote: View Post
^ Yeah. I've stated for a while now that I would love Marvel to regain the film rights to Fantastic Four and Daredevil.

Daredevil, sure. The Fantastic Four? Not sure.

I'd love an FF movie that celebrated all the awesome that was the classic Kirby era: a focus on family, fun and big adventure.

While the previous FF movies had their flaws, I think they did fine.

I'm not interested in seeing the FF done in the style of the current Avengers line of movies. I'm more interested in a 60's period piece that throws "realism" out the window for big, bold, Kirby-esque adventure.

Go for a trilogy....start with Namor or Mole Man as villain, while forshadowing Doctor Doom as villain of second movie and cap the trilogy off with Galactus (who's had foreshadowing through all three movies). And I'm talking about giant guy Galactus, not a giant cloud.