RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,413
Members: 24,631
Currently online: 431
Newest member: vicky013

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old February 19 2013, 09:30 PM   #1171
wissaboo
Captain

View wissaboo's Twitter Profile
Re: The Walking Dead Season 3

some random Walking thoughts

I wonder how much discovering Andrea is alive and they just left her behind is contributing to Rick's guilt breakdown?

I also wonder how long it will be before Merle realizes getting his hand cut off meant he got hot showers for the last year and enough food that he still looks down on scavenging as a food source.
wissaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19 2013, 11:50 PM   #1172
auntiehill
Fleet Admiral

^ I don't think Andrea really plays into Rick's visit to Crazytown at all. He has enough guilt already; she's barely a blip on the radar.

As for Merle...well, self-awareness isn't really his strong suit, is it? Looking down on others for no logical reason is, however, something he's been good at right from the start.
auntiehill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20 2013, 10:34 AM   #1173
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

I think everybody is underestimating how badly Maggie and Glenn were terrorized. They were held captive, physically abused, humiliated, degraded, and constantly in fear of worse abuse and in fear of their lives. Glenn seems to feel like he failed Maggie and Maggie seems to be angry at Glenn because she cooperated to save him.

As for Daryl-- well, I still think they should just change the name of the show to The Adventures of Daryl. He nearly singlehandedly saved those people on the bridge and then came back to the prison just in time to save Rick. And I love the subtle change in the dynamic between him and Merle-- now Merle is following him, and following his example. Daryl is the Dom now.
Old February 20 2013, 06:38 PM   #1174
TREK_GOD_1
Fleet Captain

Sindatur wrote: View Post
I think it's a "Macho" thing. He should've been able to protect her, it happened on his watch, etc, etc. From personal experience, it seems to me that actually is quite a common type of reaction from certain personality types, when something bad happens to their lover or child, it becomes all about them, and their guilt, rather than about the actual victim.
True enough. That's reason Maggie slapped his hand away: Glen was butthurt over the idea of a sexual threat to "his woman," rather than a threat to Maggie. He has too way too many manhood/property issues, when he needs to realize he's not from a background of violence (ex. Rick, Shane, Daryl, et al) or strong male identity.

Some people with a soft past (ex. Andrea) were hardened by experience, but no one ever promised Glen he was due his change into a badass/street warrior type. Glen seems pissy--as though he's being prevented from manhood, so he lashes out at everyone for no good reason.

Maybe another Merle ass-beating will straighten him out...
Old February 20 2013, 06:42 PM   #1175
Kestrel
Vice Admiral

RJDiogenes wrote: View Post
...and Maggie seems to be angry at Glenn because she cooperated to save him.
That isn't why Maggie's angry at Glen.
Old February 20 2013, 06:43 PM   #1176
TREK_GOD_1
Fleet Captain

wissaboo wrote: View Post

I wonder how much discovering Andrea is alive and they just left her behind is contributing to Rick's guilt breakdown?
I doubt it. Remember, Merle's information would lead anyone to believe Andrea is not in Woodbury against her will, so he would not feel she was left behind--particularly after the learning she's in a sexual relationship with their #1 enemy.
Old February 20 2013, 10:56 PM   #1177
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

Kestrel wrote: View Post
RJDiogenes wrote: View Post
...and Maggie seems to be angry at Glenn because she cooperated to save him.
That isn't why Maggie's angry at Glen.
Maybe not.
Old February 21 2013, 12:48 AM   #1178
propita
Rear Admiral

I loved how Merle referred to Glenn as "that Chinese kid" but Daryl corrected him very emphaticallywith "he's Korean."

And while Merle was next to useless on the bridge--and I'm not sure why Daryl didn't tell the older bot about the prison--Merle stepped it up at the prison battle. In that battle, I kept expecting the Woodbury guy who kept backing into the woods to be caught by a walker. Would've been suh-weet!
propita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21 2013, 09:14 AM   #1179
Dorian Thompson
Admiral

Finally caught the episode. Working nights is a bitch.

I'm such a sucker. I just loved the stoic, manly nod between Rick and Daryl after Daryl stuck that walker through the head to save Rick in the nick of time. Future bromance born. Stoic and quite, but bromance nonetheless.

Merle's gonna be piiiiiiiiiiiiiised. The "sissy" sheriff holding sway over his little brother and worse yet, his baby brother respecting the sissy sheriff is NOT going to sit well with Merle and his big macho ego. What was that he said about him and Daryl originally planning to rob the camp back in the day? He'll save that for when he thinks Daryl's turned on him for good. Great three pronged dynamic being drawn between him, Daryl and Rick. And the writers plausibly got Merle back to the prison! No way our interpid group would shut Merle out with walkers storming the fence and Daryl right there.

Andrea, Andrea, Andrea......you poor misguided woman. I shake my head. She isn't a bad person in and of herself, but her taste in men leaves a great deal to be desired. Too bad she isn't the leader of Woodbury herself. She'd do better were she not distracted by romance.

Best disaster animal relief charity around. Don't forget our animal friends. Donate, train to be a volunteer, or be a foster parent for a displaced pet.
Dorian Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21 2013, 04:05 PM   #1180
wissaboo
Captain

View wissaboo's Twitter Profile

TREK_GOD_1 wrote: View Post

I doubt it. Remember, Merle's information would lead anyone to believe Andrea is not in Woodbury against her will, so he would not feel she was left behind--particularly after the learning she's in a sexual relationship with their #1 enemy.
I meant left behind at the farm
wissaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22 2013, 02:47 AM   #1181
TREK_GOD_1
Fleet Captain

TREK_GOD_1 wrote: View Post

I meant left behind at the farm
I thought Rick and the others believed she probably died during the collapse of the farm. Everyone was scattering, so it was a run or die situation. He knew as well as anyone that hanging around just another minute could mean losing everything/one.
Old February 22 2013, 03:37 AM   #1182
Davros
Fleet Admiral

the G-man wrote: View Post
sojourner wrote: View Post
the G-man wrote: View Post
1. Walkers have a rudimentary hive mind
No.
I am happy to be proven wrong on this point. However, several things had led me to think this was "canon" at this point (or as "canon" as anything about the walkers is at this point):

1. Both Shane and Jim had flashes of zombies as they died as if they were seeing things through the eyes of other walkers.
2. The way that a walker will react to something almost wordlessly and the zombies nearby will seem to pick up on it.
The little girl zombie in the first scene picking up her toy would also support this idea.
Old February 22 2013, 08:24 AM   #1183
sojourner
Vice Admiral

How is a little girl zombie picking up a toy evidence of a hive mind????

Just no. There has been no evidence that brings a hive mind even close to being canon.
Old February 22 2013, 02:49 PM   #1184
TREK_GOD_1
Fleet Captain

sojourner wrote: View Post
How is a little girl zombie picking up a toy evidence of a hive mind????

Just no. There has been no evidence that brings a hive mind even close to being canon.
Zombies do not share a hive mind, or work for a common goal, but it seems like they have some ability to sense the location of humans, long before they are in range of odor, movement, etc. If that is the case, it adds another level of creepy to the situation, as it implies they will find humans no matter how far they run.
Old February 22 2013, 03:18 PM   #1185
Pavonis
Commodore

Yeah, I think that other ability the zombies have is hearing; they can hear the humans, and walk toward the sound of them. They basically walk in straight lines until something attracts their attention. Sound travels a long way in a quiet world, and all the gunshots cause the zombies to start walking towards the source.
Pavonis is offline   Reply With Quote