Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old November 27 2012, 04:41 AM   #796
Mojochi
Fleet Captain

Re: The Walking Dead Season 3

Mark_Nguyen wrote: View Post
I've been wondering how there are THAT many zombies around in the first place. When humans die in this universe, they're generally either killed outright or straight-up devoured - either way there isn't anything that can reanimate. Likewise, when you die, it can take minutes to many hours to reanimate, during which time your corpse is a ready-made buffet for the walkers. Where are the undead coming from?
In a fiction like this, you have to work backwards through it. One has to sort of assume that the initial event was the fever going pandemic as a result of seemingly spontaneous postmortem reanimation. That's the only way to account for whole metropolitan populaces of reanimated dead. The first resurrection(s) were likely an event related to the thing they all carry. Around 150,000 people die of natural causes each day on earth. That could be over a million people worldwide in a week that would reanimate without having been bitten & might not necessarily be in danger of being eaten

Plus, we don't really know the history of the initial event. Was it a situation where people began dying & reanimated? or was it a situation where the dead rose up? or both? Morgues & funeral parlors overflowing with recently dead, plus more dying naturally daily, & the escalation of the dead infecting the living & causing more death

Basically there could have been a mass population of reanimated dead before the feeding frenzy that depleted most of the remaining population really got going. Most times the only people who get consumed are attacked by larger numbers. The early victims wouldn't necessarily be attacked by a pack. They'd have been bitten by a single individual in their locality, gotten the fever, & died. In short order there was many walkers
Mojochi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27 2012, 05:41 AM   #797
propita
Rear Admiral

Regarding Daryl, I think his statement to Rick in the woods was telling. When Rick thanked him for helping him "work things out," Daryl said "That's what we do." I'm assuming there was more to the sentence, something like "in a family." With all the crap between Daryl and Merle, I think Daryl will choose this family.

Glenn has really showed that he's not who Merle remembers, and Merle remembers a few positive things about him, though still thinks little of him. And if, in Merle's opinion, the "wuss" can become so strong, what might the rest be?
propita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27 2012, 05:54 AM   #798
jbny67
Commander

Sindatur wrote: View Post

jbny67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27 2012, 06:37 AM   #799
Sindatur
Rear Admiral

jbny67 wrote: View Post
Sindatur wrote: View Post

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27 2012, 07:41 AM   #800
Silvercrest
Rear Admiral

shivkala wrote: View Post
So what do we think about the name Judith? I hope, at the very least they give her "Ass-Kicker" as a middle name. I thought it was a bit odd it was named after Carl's third grade teacher, but I also viewed that as Carl trying to hold onto a little of his old life. On the other hand, I was happy with any name other than "Lori."
The teacher was probably one of those who take no crap from the kids.

So, Judith A. K. Grimes?

Kosh Naranek wrote: View Post
DarthTom wrote: View Post
TREK_GOD_1 wrote: View Post

Perhaps he was half crazed, so he was thinking as though the worlds was sort of operating under normal standards. Why else would he ask for a badge when this self-described policeman is travelling with a pack of very un-cop like individuals?
Meh, in my opinion the scene was added to simply add more gore - by making him walker bait - rather than any thought as to why the man would react that way and why he would be hold up in a barn and seemingly oblivious to the zombie Apocalypse.

My own personal insane theory is as follows - I think the crazy hermit was just fine until that dog died. Then he went bye-bye. His one companion was gone and rotting and then the group found him.
Morpheus 02 wrote: View Post
MMilton said he "telecommuted" to work. What kind of SCIENTIST does that? He'd have to go to a lab, if he were a "real" scientist...and maybe have a friend or two there.

Milton is nowhere in the league of the CDC scientist...he may have been a computer technician or something...quest.
It's pretty obvious that Milton and the Hermit used to be roommates.

Takeru wrote: View Post
Silvercrest wrote:
I'm not desperate for a fairytale ending. But having no goal is a problem. If they have no goal, then whatever ending they achieve will only elicit, "meh, so what?"
But they have a goal, it's "Don't get eaten by the dead or murdered by the living", I'm not sure what you're expecting, this is not a quest where some people search for a magic stone, turn every zombie back into a living human and magically restore society to what it was before
Uh, did you read the part where I said I didn't need a fairytale ending?

with a redeemed and living Shane making sweet love to Rick (because Lori was clearly an incarnation of the evil that wanted to kill them all).
Holy ship, Batman!

What kind of shows do you watch because I can't think of many that have a set goal that the characters have to reach, usually the goals are things like get money, find love, have fun or help victim of the week.
You're referring to goals from week to week. I'm referring to a goal for the show as a whole.

Morpheus 02 wrote: View Post
theenglish wrote: View Post
But I do see what Silvercrest means. I am quite confident that the writers will give us some kind of dramatic closure, which is always the most important for me. Something that wraps up the themes and provides structure to the character arcs is very common in television series. TNG did this quite well, and Lost (despite its plotholes) did this effectively as well.

In addition to that, I bet that we will get more answers as to how the outbreak happened.
I think what we're asking for is something like, say the group either finds, or is found by, a city where they have essentially rebuilt civilization, however, having the "new normal" of zombies factored into the daily routine. (That city might also be established by the group).

The final season might be the group really trying to find the :secret" of the group, but realize at the end that the safety of this city is real, and not fake like Woodbury.

In the last episode, I might expect Carl or Judith reminicing about the "old days", and we see the new normal as the closing (and maybe someone slicing a zombie head as the last scene).
I can see this. Yes, dramatic closure. Not a cure, not civilization being magically restored, but something to work toward. Even if most of the characters die in the process.

Don't get me wrong, I think the current "survival" attitude is great. But as others have pointed out, if that's all we ever see, it will get old. And yes, most other shows don't wrap everything up in the end. But most other shows aren't this heavily serialized. Generally serial storytelling does lead somewhere. The major exception being, as was also pointed out, soap operas. And comic books.

The only reason I point this out is that showrunners have declared the intention to keep following the comic books in a general way. I haven't read the comics, but I've read up on them to some extent and I don't get the impression that they're leading anywhere. If the show wants to go that route, it will be taking the lazy way out and will be squandering some excellent dramatic opportunities. And might risk turning into a soap opera as well, meaning they've invoked both of the worst kinds of serial storytelling in the same show!

Still, I'm reserving judgement. I like what's going on right now, so I'll have some faith that they know what they're doing.
Silvercrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27 2012, 02:40 PM   #801
DarthTom
Fleet Admiral

Silvercrest wrote: View Post
IBut most other shows aren't this heavily serialized. Generally serial storytelling does lead somewhere. The major exception being, as was also pointed out, soap operas. And comic books.
Law and Order was on 20 years but not a great comparison.

Mash was on 11 years and pretty much had the same characters.

Kelsey Grammer played Frasier Crane over two series for 20 years.
DarthTom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 27 2012, 03:01 PM   #802
TREK_GOD_1
Fleet Captain

Ryan8bit wrote: View Post
I think that it's likely that after whatever skirmish may happen in Woodbury, that the zombie hordes will end up taking out whatever survivors remain in that town. I wouldn't be surprised if during their attack if some zombies get in the middle.
I think that is a strong possibility; walkers are already around the town, and if sound attracts them, Rick's group probably leads more in the direction of Woodbury. Once the battle begins, I can see Rick's group deliberately leading walkers into the town to act as not-so-human shields from Woodbury bullets and arrows. The town will be tossed into chaos, which--in theory--should allow Rick's group more time to search for Glenn & Maggie....

...but the preview seems to suggest Glenn and Maggie will be threatened to force Rick's group into a quick surrender.
Old November 27 2012, 03:02 PM   #803
trekkiebaggio
Vice Admiral

View trekkiebaggio's Twitter Profile

That was insane. I am not looking forward to the mid-season break.

It's not a very good division of labour to send ALL the warriors out on a rescue mission, I know they don't have many people but it's kind of an all-or-nothing gamble.

Glen killing that zombie was badass.

The music at the end was really tense.

Man of Yesterday - My blog: movie, books and board game reviews.
trekkiebaggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27 2012, 05:03 PM   #804
PKerr
Rear Admiral

Another great episode.

Was I the only one that was bothered by the death of the hermit? Yes the guy was a bit coo coo for coco puffs but was it enough to be killed and made zombie bait?
What I watched was out and out murder, the guy could have been easily overpowered and restrained when running for the door.
Bottom line this group of people break into his cabin, startle him awake and then point weapons at him, what did they expect him to do?
Rick and crew would react the same way if that were done to them, I guess what bothers me even more is our group seems to be turning into a mini group like the one second season Randall was a part of, that was pretty evident with how they treated Michone earlier in the episode, she came baring gifts and Rick is jabbing her in her gunshot leg..WTF?

Given a little time Rick and crew could mirror Woodbury pretty easily IMO.

Speaking of Wood bury, why isn’t there 50 gazzilion zombies surrounding that place?
If noise attracts Zombies then their fight night events should have every Zombie in the county at their door step.
Look how many Rick and crew encountered a mile maybe two (Michone’s words) right outside Woodbury, I live out in the country and on a quiet night sound travels like a mo fo, I would think every night would be quiet out there since there is no industrial noise what-so-ever masking any sound.

Not only that, during the day at their little shin dig kids were running around and making all kinds of noise and no one seemed to be trying to keep the noise down either.

Second to Lastly Glenn is a badass, I hope BAG (bad Ass Glenn) is here to stay.

Lastly since next week is the mid season finale, I see the group getting captured at the end of the episode.
Andrea will flip and be a part of the group getting free.
I think the other part of the group being free will be Merle, after the Governor is dead (we know he will be) the show will need another main antagonist, Merle fits that role perfectly.
PKerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27 2012, 08:05 PM   #805
TREK_GOD_1
Fleet Captain

trekkiebaggio wrote: View Post
It's not a very good division of labour to send ALL the warriors out on a rescue mission, I know they don't have many people but it's kind of an all-or-nothing gamble.
Carl, Carol and Hershel all know how to use guns. They can do this while Beth takes care of the baby.
Old November 27 2012, 08:07 PM   #806
Silvercrest
Rear Admiral

Axel's still at home, isn't he? I didn't see him with the others.
Silvercrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27 2012, 10:10 PM   #807
Enterprise is Great
Rear Admiral

Yeah, Axel stayed behind at the prison.
Old November 27 2012, 10:29 PM   #808
Derishton
Vice Admiral

I have a bad feeling that Axel, who doesn't seem like the Axel from the books, is maybe going to do something bad (I suspect to Beth).
Old November 27 2012, 11:05 PM   #809
wissaboo
Captain

View wissaboo's Twitter Profile

I think right now the group is so small they won't be fighting amongst themselves for a while
wissaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28 2012, 06:57 AM   #810
Blue_Trek
Captain

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=urCJQjjLLVQ