Trek 3 To Being Shooting Next Year
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Trek Messenger Bag
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

Star Trek Live In Concert In Australia
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

IDW Publishing December Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Sep 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old April 3 2013, 05:39 PM   #2041
wissaboo
Captain

View wissaboo's Twitter Profile
Re: The Walking Dead Season 3

doubleohfive wrote: View Post
DarthTom wrote: View Post

As an aside, it's interesting to read what Riggs has to say on Twitter, responding to questions about what he did for Easter, when they start filming again, and getting ready tor High School next year.
my kids tell me he appears a lot on people's minecraft video's on youtube. He youtube channel as well it's called theorangetrampoline
wissaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3 2013, 05:46 PM   #2042
DarthTom
Fleet Admiral

Dorian Thompson wrote: View Post
Yes, but that's business. When people find a better product, they abandon the original product. The regular networks are bound by censors and the ridiculous, archaic predefined sweeps periods. They show constant reruns during a present season's original airing. They insist on a 22 episode per season model which ensures some lesser quality episodes when 13 to 16 is far superior. Even 10 to 12 is better. People lose interest.
The big surprise at least to me was the History Channel's The Bible - it's not as if that story hasnt been done before.

Regarding sweeps et al, the biggest problem IMO the networks face is the censors. The coveted demos - 18-35 year olds just except more edgy programming then the networks can provide. Had the Walking Dead gone to 22 episodes this season the fans would have laped that up. Conversely, had the Walking Dead been put on NBC without the gore and the profanity I'm not so sure it would be as popular as it is now.

I'm sure despite the virtually equal success the HS had with the Bible they didn't get the great demos Walking Dead did.
DarthTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3 2013, 05:49 PM   #2043
DarthTom
Fleet Admiral

doubleohfive wrote: View Post
DarthTom wrote: View Post

As an aside, it's interesting to read what Riggs has to say on Twitter, responding to questions about what he did for Easter, when they start filming again, and getting ready tor High School next year.

Yea it's hilarious. Interesting too that Riggs dad joins into the Twitter conversations. I guess his parents closely monitor what fans send to him.
DarthTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3 2013, 06:01 PM   #2044
Dorian Thompson
Admiral

The only character I see as absolutely safe is Rick-until the very last episodes, of course. I concede, though, that the writers would be extremely reluctant to kill off Daryl. Not even Carl is completely safe. Maybe Rick and Judith will end up the lone survivors after Carl succumbs to his shattered world view and tries to shoot the wrong person. I don't want any of the others to go, but I can see them being expendable.

Best disaster animal relief charity around. Don't forget our animal friends. Donate, train to be a volunteer, or be a foster parent for a displaced pet.
Dorian Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3 2013, 08:35 PM   #2045
Blue_Trek
Captain

I think it would be a mistake for the writers to turn Carl into Shanelite even worse Merlelite, or even worse again govenerlite.
I don't want a punk to be the new group antagonist, and they would be ruining a perfectly good character that really represents the future of the group.
Man I really don't want to end up wanting Carl to get taken out by
walkers by other means. But the tone at the end has Carl on a path that doesn't look good, when he dropped that Sheriff's badge at the end, is that the writers foreshadowing Carl is done being on the side of the good guys.

As for Rick he dabbled with the dark side and came back from it, I really like how Michone and Rick are interacting, if both survive long enough, I see a possible relationship down the road for those too.
Old April 3 2013, 08:41 PM   #2046
J.T.B.
Commodore

Carl is actually better attuned to his world than the older characters who grew up in ours. His cause-and-effect argument was sound, from his perspective and the information he has been given. He is growing up as a hunter-warrior in a nomadic culture, like many humans over the ages, and should not be judged by our standards of civilization. The neighboring tribe wants to kill your people, take your resources, and just raided your settlement. If you come across one of their number and he doesn't surrender immediately and unambiguously, odds are quite high that he will be killed. Even if he becomes a prisoner, he will be a drain your resources. It's not pretty, but what this show is dealing in is brute survival.

He needs some tempering by experience like any youth, but I don't see anything to indicate Carl is a psycho or will be a detriment to the group. His behavior fits the world he lives in.
J.T.B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3 2013, 11:59 PM   #2047
gblews
Rear Admiral

View gblews's Twitter Profile

Takeru wrote: View Post
He looked him in the eyes, pulled the trigger and then acted like "Had to be done, dinner ready?".
gblews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4 2013, 05:14 AM   #2048
Enterprise is Great
Rear Admiral

Chad L. Coleman, Sonequa Martin-Green and Emily Kinney upgraded to series regulars for season 4
Old April 4 2013, 07:08 AM   #2049
sojourner
Admiral

Damn, I didn't even realize Sonequa was also Tamara from OUAT. The hair style totally transforms her.
Old April 4 2013, 07:39 AM   #2050
Takeru
Fleet Captain

What about Melissa McBride and Scott Wilson?
Takeru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4 2013, 07:41 AM   #2051
Dorian Thompson
Admiral

They're already regulars. Also starring means regular. There's only so much room in the opening credits.

Best disaster animal relief charity around. Don't forget our animal friends. Donate, train to be a volunteer, or be a foster parent for a displaced pet.
Dorian Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4 2013, 09:06 AM   #2052
TREK_GOD_1
Fleet Captain

I was reading that elsewhere, and thought it is great Kinney is getting an upgrade after 2 seasons.

There's a little hint of more things to come from Huffingtonpost in bold:

The world of "The Walking Dead" needs a little repopulation after the bloody third season, which saw us lose Sarah Wayne Callies (Lori), IronE Singleton (T-Dog), Michael Rooker (Merle), Dallas Roberts (Milton) and -- most shockingly -- Laurie Holden (Andrea) in the finale.

Additionally, Melissa Ponzio (Karen) will reappear in Season 4 as a recurring guest star, the sole survivor of the Governor's brutal attack on his own army in Woodbury. Coleman and Martin-Green play siblings who were an integral part of Rick's (Andrew Lincoln) fight against the Governor. Kinney has recurred since Season 2 as the youngest daughter of Hershel (Scott Wilson).

"The Walking Dead" earned its best ratings yet for the Season 3 finale, racking up 12.4 million viewers after breaking records for both its Season 3 premiere and midseason return.

Season 4 of "The Walking Dead" will see "a very different Rick," Robert Kirkman recently told IGN. "One of his main goals is to manage this situation with Carl and see if he can bring him back from this darkness that's crept into him."

Executive producer Gale Anne Hurd also promised, "we are going to amp up the threat of the walkers," in Season 4, "because they've started to seem like a manageable threat. They are not a manageable threat ... But, it is the people who you think you can trust who betray you, that you have to fear. It is the monster inside you. We all have them. How do we keep them in check?"
So, Hurd promises more zombie action. I thought that is where the series needs to go. If we are to believe the walkers have overrun the earth--or at least North America--then the series cannot settle into a general domestic drama format.

I think everyone predicted the Carl problem was going to be a major plot of S4. Let's just hope he does not do something stupid, such as:

1. Leave Rick's group to join the new enemies--including the Governor (turning a son into a revenge weapon), based on his "kill or be killed" mentality. Perhaps he's abused so much, he will be on the edge of suicide.

2. Carl goes off on his own to kill new enemies--a misguided attempt to prove to Rick that "kill or be killed" is the only way to live.

3. Is kidnapped--or conned into helping the enemy. Either way, he leads enemies back to the prison, triggering the final battle with the Governor.

Looking forward to season four!
Old April 4 2013, 10:16 AM   #2053
Takeru
Fleet Captain

Dorian Thompson wrote: View Post
They're already regulars. Also starring means regular. There's only so much room in the opening credits.
Ah, I see. I hope now that three spots in the opening credits are free McBride is added, she deserves it the most because she has been with the show since season 1 and because I really like her.

I don't get why Danai Gurrera made it into the opening credits right away, she was a new addition, is not who I'd call a well known actress and her role in the season wasn't that important.
Were they considering to kill Carol? Maybe her "death" in the first half along with T-Dog was originally meant to be real and they changed their mind at the last minute. They gave the spots in the opening to actors they knew would stick around until the finale, not the potential death candidates like Carol.

I'm also happy to read that the walkers will be a bigger threat in season 4, looking back at the second half of season 3 it really seemed they were no longer a big deal most of the time, more like really ugly garden gnomes in the prison front yard.
Takeru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4 2013, 01:37 PM   #2054
TREK_GOD_1
Fleet Captain

I don't get why Danai Gurrera made it into the opening credits right away, she was a new addition, is not who I'd call a well known actress and her role in the season wasn't that important.
Maybe it was a nod to the fans who caught the season 2 finale. They were so excited to see her brief introduction that adding her name to the S3 credits promised this popular character was a mainstay. Or, the prodcuers may value her past work so much, they felt she deserved to be listed as a feature player.
Old April 4 2013, 04:21 PM   #2055
Kestrel
Vice Admiral

Hurrah for that! Maybe now they can afford give Beth a line or two.

Were they considering to kill Carol? Maybe her "death" in the first half along with T-Dog was originally meant to be real and they changed their mind at the last minute. They gave the spots in the opening to actors they knew would stick around until the finale, not the potential death candidates like Carol.
Michonne's a fan-favorite character from the comics and aside from (probably more than) Tyrese I'd say one of the most-anticipated characters. And don't forget they maintained Sarah Wayne Callies in the opening credits despite a useless and perfunctory death less than halfway through the season, and even while alive she wasn't given as much importance as Carol or Hershel.

Last edited by Kestrel; April 4 2013 at 04:33 PM.
Kestrel is offline   Reply With Quote