Trek 3 To Being Shooting Next Year
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Trek Messenger Bag
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

Star Trek Live In Concert In Australia
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

IDW Publishing December Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Sep 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old October 22 2012, 01:37 AM   #181
the G-man
Commodore

Re: The Walking Dead Season 3

PsychoPere wrote: View Post
JD wrote: View Post
Just of curiosity, how much time have they covered in the comics?
As of issue #90, it had been approximately sixteen months since the start of the zombie apocalypse (and fifteen months since Rick awoke from his coma). Issue #103 was released last week, but not much time has passed in the intervening thirteen issues - two weeks at most, because a story development requires the passage of one week between issues #100 and #103.

sojourner wrote: View Post
the G-man wrote: View Post
Ummmm......
Still not getting what your hinting at. Maybe you should try this new invention called "sentences" in your next reply.
It would really be best if he didn't hint at anything without spoiler codes.

I think the hint is significantly obtuse, especially when you consider
the G-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22 2012, 02:11 AM   #182
PsychoPere
Vice Admiral

So I guess they probably will have to move the timeline forward in the show if it keeps going for years. As long as Carl is around they'll probably need to move things along faster to reflect the actor's age.
The amusing thing about season three right now, to me at least, is that the show's timeline has been moved forward and the story is still moving somewhat in the same direction as the comics (in terms of location timing at the least). Here's hoping the interludes between each subsequent season won't involve the characters driving around in circles.

On, in this case, sure, but my previous statement was meant in a general sense for all hints, not solely this specific one (and for all people, including myself, who know details about the comics).
PsychoPere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22 2012, 02:31 AM   #183
the G-man
Commodore

So I guess they probably will have to move the timeline forward in the show if it keeps going for years. As long as Carl is around they'll probably need to move things along faster to reflect the actor's age.
The amusing thing about season three right now, to me at least, is that the show's timeline has been moved forward and the story is still moving somewhat in the same direction as the comics (in terms of location timing at the least). Here's hoping the interludes between each subsequent season won't involve the characters driving around in circles.
The only way to avoid that [or something similar] is to kill off or recast Carl (or, as one site called him, "Anakin" ). Since there is at least a six month gap between when seasons are filmed they need to account for the actor playing him's aging.
the G-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22 2012, 02:48 AM   #184
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

Looks like my Herschel Walker joke will never come to pass, Herschel Limper at best...
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22 2012, 03:09 AM   #185
PsychoPere
Vice Admiral

The only way to avoid that [or something similar] is to kill off or recast Carl (or, as one site called him, "Anakin" ). Since there is at least a six month gap between when seasons are filmed they need to account for the actor playing him's aging.
Yeah, it's a difficult task for sure. And poor Carl - he's not nearly as bad as Anakin!
Old October 22 2012, 03:15 AM   #186
theenglish
Rear Admiral

Yeah, it's a difficult task for sure. And poor Carl - he's not nearly as bad as Anakin!
Flesh-eating zombies--sand people--what's the difference?
theenglish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22 2012, 03:28 AM   #187
Gotham Central
Vice Admiral

View Gotham Central's Twitter Profile

On, in this case, sure, but my previous statement was meant in a general sense for all hints, not solely this specific one (and for all people, including myself, who know details about the comics).
The funny thing is that in the comics the timeline initially progressed alot faster than it did in the show. For instance, in the comics, the group sticks around Atlanta for much longer and only really hits the road when winter comes (and after Shane's death). They find the Greene farm and prison in the spring. The TV series gave us a much more drawn out summer and fall and skipped winter entirely. From the perspective of the timeline, they've found the prison right on time.

That said, I do find t odd that the comics are suggesting that only 18 months have passed. I wonder why they slowed down?
And sing along in the age of paranoia

Green Day
Gotham Central is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22 2012, 03:28 AM   #188
propita
Rear Admiral

Carl's actually improving, imo.

I watched the 4 latest webisodes. Nice.
propita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22 2012, 03:33 AM   #189
Gotham Central
Vice Admiral

View Gotham Central's Twitter Profile

Another great episode!

I gotta say though, it will be interesting to see how the story progresses. They dispatched the prison survivors pretty quickly, and did so in a much less ambigious way than in the comics. Of course, they also don't have to worry about the sad gruesome fate of the non-existant Green children plus Alan and his family.

On some level its kind of sad that there are not more kids on this show. The ever shifting nature of the family units was one of the more interesting aspects of the comics.

Speaking of kids, I hope that someone has a "who's watching Carl" counter...
And sing along in the age of paranoia

Green Day
Gotham Central is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22 2012, 03:59 AM   #190
PsychoPere
Vice Admiral

Gotham Central wrote: View Post
The funny thing is that in the comics the timeline initially progressed alot faster than it did in the show.
Ah, right, I had forgotten how quickly the timeline progressed in the early issues. Looking back at old issues, it seems that Rick woke in late summer in issue #1; by issue #5, winter has started. Looking back at #10, though, they were still in winter when Otis led the group to Hershel's Farm.

That said, I do find t odd that the comics are suggesting that only 18 months have passed. I wonder why they slowed down?
The sixteen months bit came from editor Sina Grace in the letters column for #90. I think the comics timeline started slowing down after the survivors reached the prison; that location alone anchored the group for six story arcs (approximately thirty-six issues). As best as I can recall*, there have been relatively few time jumps in between issues since that point.

(* Admittedly, my memory could be pretty off on that - for most of the series' life so far, I've been reading the comics in the big hardcover volumes. A pretty decent amount of time, of course, passes in between each of those volumes. It's only within the last few weeks that I've started reading single issues.)
Old October 22 2012, 04:17 AM   #191
sojourner
Admiral

Yep, that one poster was confused that you seemed to think your "spoiler" applied to a hypothetical future season that inherently diverges from the comics. Yep. quite a leap there. Good catch Sparky!

As for tonight's episode, it seems that all is right with the world, Carl is back to his old habits and so is Lori.
Old October 22 2012, 06:08 AM   #192
SG-17
Commodore

At least this time Carl is useful.

SG-17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22 2012, 06:20 AM   #193
Borgminister

Thought I saw the silhouette of a shark circling in the predictable and lamentable "he was coming at me, bro'" moment followed by the sword to the head. It made the moment too damned easy, and allowing the other running black dude to die scene nonsensical.

Still, other than Breaking Bad, and I've not seen Dexter or Homeland this season, this show is way up there in quality.
Borgminister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22 2012, 02:41 PM   #194
DarthTom
Fleet Admiral

Probably they want to extend and capitalize on the drama related to Lori's pregnancy. And she cannot be pregnant for 18 months.

Great episode. IIRC however most people without meds and modern medicine die form an amuptation. Wasn't the mortality rate of such procedures during the civil war nearly 90% or even higher? So it seems unlikely to me that Herschel without antibiotics and only a belt to stop the bleeding would be able to live.

The execution of the prisoners was necessary. Rick saw the crazy guy was likely a murderer based on his behavior with the zombie's and had to rid the group of the hazards of keeping him around.

I was a little confused however why the young black kid ran? But in the end Rick has completed his transformation from reasonable nice guy to complete survivalist who will do anything to protect the group.
DarthTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22 2012, 03:14 PM   #195
Silvercrest
Rear Admiral

He ran because he had just attacked Rick with an axe and Rick was about to retaliate.

The bearded guy, didn't catch his name, claimed he was a nonviolent prisoner-- but did anyone notice how many times, and how fiercely, he shanked that zombie in the gut during their "run amok" attack?

I got a good laugh out of how they ignored Every. Single. Thing. Rick's group told them ("We know how to kill a man!"), and Rick's group just stood by watching them, rolling their eyes.
Silvercrest is offline   Reply With Quote