Shatner In Haven
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Retro Review: Covenant
By: Michelle on Nov 22

Two Official Starships Collection Previews
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Saldana: Women Issues In Hollywood
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old March 16 2013, 12:30 AM   #1576
TREK_GOD_1
Fleet Captain

Re: The Walking Dead Season 3

Sindatur wrote: View Post
Yea, I figured both Glenn and Maggie were safe to make it out of S2 alive, because they wern't a happy enough couple yet, but, I think that invulnernability is gone now. Still, I think Glenn serves a role in the show that there's no one to replace him with, so, I don't see him dying just yet, but, I could see TPB ripping Glenn's heart out by killing Maggie (Though I certainly don't want to see that).
I hope that does not happen, only because as a plot point, its too similar to Lori dying and the effect it has on Rick. Rick & Glenn deeply love Lori and Maggie, respectively, so the only sensible response is Glenn taking the same dive into depression and anger. The series does not need more that so soon after Lori's death, piled on top of Rick still dealing with his pain / drepression.

Truth be told, other then the Governor (I do think he's toast very soon) and Andrea (I think she'll live to either take over Woodbury or rejoin our group) there really isn't anyone main I want to lose. I would certainly trade killing Milton in order to keep another regular. Merle deserve to die, but, he's good for the show for drama, I believe.
Milton's death is not a trade-off for the producers, as he's not one of the "heroes," or a genuine, new member (as Herschel's family quickly became in S2). He's being set up as the toadie sitting on the fence, so no matter which direction he turns, he will likely pay the ultimate price in the near future.

TWD's producers love shock and tragedy, so as much as I do not want to see it, Beth, Carol and Judith seem to be walking around with targets on their backs. Hopefully, that theory is shattered by the last 3 episodes of the season.
Old March 16 2013, 12:47 AM   #1577
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

I think after the Day Trip with Michonne and Morgan, and the Camp Woodbury Talk with the Guv'ner, Rick has put Crazytown behind him. If they were to kill Maggie, I think they would do it at a time when the reaction from Glenn could be held off until next Season (IE: Next to last episode of Season, which no time to soak it in until next season or last episode). But, again, it's certainly not what I want to see happen

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16 2013, 01:11 AM   #1578
Mojochi
Commodore

gblews wrote: View Post
Mojochi wrote: View Post
There's been better things about season 3 compared to 2, & some that still aren't that great compared to the 1st. The character development drags & often gets derailed for nonsense, but the events which do tend to reflect some of the comic are still pretty awesome

Overall, the show is still definitely worth watching, but they do inflict a lot of wayward nonsense & ill conceived character arcs on the viewer. A lot of that emerges from the fact that in order to keep the budget under control, they have to settle in on some plots & drag them out longer than how the show started in the very short 1st season, which wears on the fans' patience.
Well the ratings are going through the roof, so apparently the fans don't agree with you.
I don't think I'm that far off from the general fan attitude. They still like the show & so do I. In fact, it's my favorite show on tv at the moment. That doesn't mean it's exempt from some valid criticism though. There's lots of accounts criticizing how some character arcs & plot lines are dragged out. That doesn't mean I dislike the show, just that I think it teeters on the edge of making poor decisions, which is true of almost any show

Sadly, if they were to produce the show that most of us really hope for, it would probably be too expensive to last
Mojochi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16 2013, 02:38 PM   #1579
Venardhi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Venardhi Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Venardhi

When it comes to shows like this (heavily serialized drama), the key is to keep them proactive rather than simply reacting every week to outside forces. They need goals beyond the overall arc of surviving. Lost fell into this trap a few times, so did the new BSG. Your characters should be pushing the narrative, not being pushed around by it.

Probably why there was such a positive response to these last two episodes.
"There is no reason why good cannot triumph as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they are organized along the lines of the Maffia." - Winston Niles Rumfoord.
Venardhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16 2013, 02:48 PM   #1580
trekkiebaggio
Vice Admiral

View trekkiebaggio's Twitter Profile

I think after the Day Trip with Michonne and Morgan, and the Camp Woodbury Talk with the Guv'ner, Rick has put Crazytown behind him. If they were to kill Maggie, I think they would do it at a time when the reaction from Glenn could be held off until next Season (IE: Next to last episode of Season, which no time to soak it in until next season or last episode). But, again, it's certainly not what I want to see happen
I'm inclined to think they'll keep Maggie and Glenn alive because they're the only couple on the show.

Man of Yesterday - My blog: movie, books and board game reviews.
trekkiebaggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16 2013, 05:03 PM   #1581
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

trekkiebaggio wrote: View Post
I'm inclined to think they'll keep Maggie and Glenn alive because they're the only couple on the show.

It's true, the "Only Couple" thing gives them a certain invulnerability, but, they can always bring Carol and Darryl together.

Old March 16 2013, 08:51 PM   #1582
Venardhi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Venardhi Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Venardhi

I think Glenn has a little more armor than Maggie because he is so likable and, to a lesser extent, he is one of their very few 'minority' characters (and one of the few east-Asians on TV in general).

If they're smart, and I'm not convinced they are, they have an opportunity here to build them into a healthy and mature relationship that can become the heart of the group. Then, after another season or two of their fight to maintain their love and happiness through the darkness, this lone bright spot can be snuffed out for the most emotional impact.

Alternatively: Kill Maggie at the hands of Merle or someone else from within their group. Glenn turns dark in a very introverted and bitter way rather than the crazy rage that Rick went to. Glenn starts to blame Rick for allowing it to happen. Glenn decides Rick is too dangerous to keep around. Cue subplot of season V.
"There is no reason why good cannot triumph as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they are organized along the lines of the Maffia." - Winston Niles Rumfoord.
Venardhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17 2013, 10:01 AM   #1583
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

Hopefully they won't do either of those things. It would be much more interesting to see the living characters develop than to have them killed.
Old March 17 2013, 02:32 PM   #1584
TREK_GOD_1
Fleet Captain

Venardhi wrote: View Post
(and one of the few east-Asians on TV in general).
...and he's not used as the bit player "geek" asian friend/sidekick to a white guy stereotype, which has been used in films and sitcoms for several years.

If they're smart, and I'm not convinced they are, they have an opportunity here to build them into a healthy and mature relationship that can become the heart of the group. Then, after another season or two of their fight to maintain their love and happiness through the darkness, this lone bright spot can be snuffed out for the most emotional impact.
That's the kind of gimmick i've grown sick of in modern tv; everything has to be tragedy--if it is not grim, it is not drama. Even in a horror-themed series, there has to be some positive threads/situations, or its nothing but sadism masked as fiction.

The series has provided a number of shock deaths (Lori, T-Dog, Sophia, et al), and while we understand that the heroes face threats both living and zombie, picking off the main cast like clay pigeons is not proving how "real" the producers can be.

Glenn decides Rick is too dangerous to keep around. Cue subplot of season V.
I see that happening anyway, despite Rick having to pick up the slack for Glenn in the bar (S2), mounting his successful rescue, etc. Glenn already believes Rick is half-crazed, so whether anyone dies or not, Glenn may feel he's earned his "manhood" stripes, and even faced up to Merle--all enough to take over.
Old March 17 2013, 06:42 PM   #1585
Tom
Rear Admiral

I hope they don't kill Phillip Blake (aka the Governor) at the end of the season. I can see him maybe escaping and hooking up with bad humans and coming back. I could also see a scenario where another group of bad guys (maybe Randal's group) comes after Woodbury, and the Woodbury people join with the prison group to fight an even worse group.

Owner - TrekUnited.com - Forum now re-open! click here
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17 2013, 09:21 PM   #1586
the G-man
Commodore

I have to say: my enthusiasm for the show has a waned a little lately. I'm starting to think that the extended seasons are a mistake and they should have stuck with, at most, a 13 ep season schedule. Besides removing some of the need for padding it might have helped keep the per episode budget up.
the G-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17 2013, 11:02 PM   #1587
Dream
Admiral

MASSIVE SPOILERS LEAKED

Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17 2013, 11:25 PM   #1588
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

Not looking, please no one blurt it out until after it airs

Old March 18 2013, 12:17 AM   #1589
the G-man
Commodore

Yeah I figured it was a question of when not if with that character
Old March 18 2013, 12:20 AM   #1590
the G-man
Commodore

Slight digression here. The more I look at Lauren Cohan The more I think she should play the wasp in a future avengers movie