MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Ships Of The Line Design Contest

Next Weekend: Shore Leave 36!

True Trek History To Be Penned

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old October 22 2012, 09:25 PM   #211
DarthTom
Fleet Admiral

Re: The Walking Dead Season 3

propita wrote: View Post
[
I think I'd leave a few zombies in the outer yard for protection, removing the bodies to not give things away. Most passing humans would not think that the prison was safe if they see zombies wandering outside it.
An unknown someone however is watching Carol as she was practicing doing a c-section on that Zombie corpse. So I think there is more drama to come in their stay at the prison with outsiders.
DarthTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22 2012, 10:35 PM   #212
Stiletto
Fleet Captain

throwback wrote: View Post
Is Herschel different from other people? And, if so, how is he different? He died and didn't turn into a zombie. He was able to be revived.
Maybe he wasn't brain dead. Sure, he was out for a short while, but the brain should be able to work for a short without oxygen. Didn't Jenner, at the CDC say that the brain stem turns back on after an undetermined while after death?
Old October 22 2012, 10:47 PM   #213
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

Yeah, he wasn't dead long enough to turn, if he was even really dead at all. Although that was a startling moment. I'm glad he's still alive.

That certainly wasn't what I was expecting from all the talk of the prison from the comics. Did they jettison a lot of it, or is there a twist coming?

Anyway, this was much better than last week. Daryl makes a much better right-hand man for Rick than Shane. But it looks like Rick and Lori are finished.

And Carol, wanting to practice her c-section skills on a zombie-- very practical woman.
Old October 22 2012, 11:49 PM   #214
wissaboo
Captain

View wissaboo's Twitter Profile

was anyone else surprised by Rick telling the prisoners that 50% of the population had died? I was thinking it was more along the lines of 90%

is he right? is he in denial? or was he trying to sugar coat it?
wissaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23 2012, 12:31 AM   #215
Ruaidhri
Commodore

View Ruaidhri's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Ruaidhri

DarthTom wrote: View Post
propita wrote: View Post
[
I think I'd leave a few zombies in the outer yard for protection, removing the bodies to not give things away. Most passing humans would not think that the prison was safe if they see zombies wandering outside it.
An unknown someone however is watching Carol as she was practicing doing a c-section on that Zombie corpse. So I think there is more drama to come in their stay at the prison with outsiders.
Ruaidhri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23 2012, 01:34 AM   #216
Reverend
Rear Admiral

RJDemonicus wrote: View Post
That certainly wasn't what I was expecting from all the talk of the prison from the comics. Did they jettison a lot of it, or is there a twist coming?
Basically this was pretty much straight out of the comics. A few details are different since the character load-out isn't quite the same. For one thing Andrea was never separated and arrived at the prison with everyone else--as did Dale, Patricia & Sofia. Michonne just showed up at the gates with her two "companions" and asked to be let in. Indeed from the previews it looks like if anything they're abbreviating Michonne's story.

As far as the prisoners go, no, nothing was really cut short as far as this episode's story goes. Unless you count that guy you just legged it. If memory serves you never saw him die, he just ran out the front gate and was never seen again. Oh and I think the alpha-male nut-job with the death wish was his "shower buddy", which makes his reaction a little bit more understandable.

There may or may not be something to do with them later on down the line that's been jettisoned as there's one prisoner in particular who wasn't present here but in the comics had something of a significant impact. I don't want to spoil anything, so I'll just say for those in the know that I'm referring to the one in jail for "tax evasion." Having said that, they could have shifted that plot to a different character.
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23 2012, 01:54 AM   #217
Gotham Central
Vice Admiral

View Gotham Central's Twitter Profile

Is Herschel different from other people? And, if so, how is he different? He died and didn't turn into a zombie. He was able to be revived.
OK folks, time for biology 101. Just because you stop breathing does not mean that you are dead. You are not officially dead until the brain officially checks out. You can be revived if the heart stops if it is within a reasonable amount of time.

If you recall back in Season 1 at the CDC, Jenner explains how the process works. The initial infection from the bite will kill you. You are not officially dead until all neural activity ceases. He shows this on the computer. Once the brain has stopped functioning, it takes a little while for the "virus" to restart some sort of minimal neural activity.

As long as the brain is functional, the reanimation process will not activate.
And sing along in the age of paranoia

Green Day
Gotham Central is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23 2012, 02:05 AM   #218
Gotham Central
Vice Admiral

View Gotham Central's Twitter Profile

Reverend wrote: View Post
Basically this was pretty much straight out of the comics. A few details are different since the character load-out isn't quite the same. For one thing Andrea was never separated and arrived at the prison with everyone else--as did Dale, Patricia & Sofia. Michonne just showed up at the gates with her two "companions" and asked to be let in. Indeed from the previews it looks like if anything they're abbreviating Michonne's story.

As far as the prisoners go, no, nothing was really cut short as far as this episode's story goes. Unless you count that guy you just legged it. If memory serves you never saw him die, he just ran out the front gate and was never seen again. Oh and I think the alpha-male nut-job with the death wish was his "shower buddy", which makes his reaction a little bit more understandable.

There may or may not be something to do with them later on down the line that's been jettisoned as there's one prisoner in particular who wasn't present here but in the comics had something of a significant impact. I don't want to spoil anything, so I'll just say for those in the know that I'm referring to the one in jail for "tax evasion." Having said that, they could have shifted that plot to a different character.

Yeah the prison cannot help but be different because the group dynamic was very different in the comics. There are ALOT more survivors in the Comics. Additionally, they were not forced to flee the farm in the comics. Hershel asked them to leave so they left (except for Glenn who actually stayed behind with Maggie). Plus I think that there were more surviving prisoners and they stick around a little longer.

The biggest difference between the comics and the TV show is that Rick was not as hardcore in the comics because the group had suffered fewer deep losses at this point. Plus Rick was not forced to put down Shane (Carl killed a perfectly healthy Shane). Rick and Lori were also in a better place since Shane never got the opportunity to become a serious problem.
And sing along in the age of paranoia

Green Day
Gotham Central is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23 2012, 02:19 AM   #219
PsychoPere
Vice Admiral

I am confused by what happened to Tiny Tim. I am not sure what I saw. I saw something attack him, Was it a hand, or was it a head? He is diagnosed as being bitten, so it would have to be a head. Yet, it didn't look like a head. Like I said, it's not clear to me what happen.
It was a hand. He ended up with a pretty bad scratch.

How does the group get water in the prison? Our water system is powered by electricity.
There's a river a short distance from the prison.

Other than some missing characters in the survivors' group, these first two episodes aren't too far off from early comic events at the prison. It's too early to say if anything will be jettisoned, because the group was at the prison for around thirty-six issues.

Franklinstein wrote: View Post
DarthTom wrote: View Post
PsychoPere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23 2012, 02:26 AM   #220
Silvercrest
Rear Admiral

Actually it was a wrist. Sort of.
Silvercrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23 2012, 03:33 AM   #221
wissaboo
Captain

View wissaboo's Twitter Profile

Gotham Central wrote: View Post
OK folks, time for biology 101. Just because you stop breathing does not mean that you are dead. You are not officially dead until the brain officially checks out. You can be revived if the heart stops if it is within a reasonable amount of time.

If you recall back in Season 1 at the CDC, Jenner explains how the process works. The initial infection from the bite will kill you. You are not officially dead until all neural activity ceases. He shows this on the computer. Once the brain has stopped functioning, it takes a little while for the "virus" to restart some sort of minimal neural activity.

As long as the brain is functional, the reanimation process will not activate.
I think he's referring to the speculation that Rick actually did die in the hospital and has some sort of immunity to the virus that revived him instead of him becoming a zombie.
wissaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23 2012, 05:18 AM   #222
sojourner
Vice Admiral

^I don't buy that speculation. It's the kind of copout the writer has avoided using so far in the comics.
Old October 23 2012, 06:59 AM   #223
theenglish
Rear Admiral

Cool! Next week's episode is when I actually started reading the comics!

It looks like this season might actually cover the entire prison arc, which would bring the series to within four years of the comics.

Have we had any clues as to how much longer the comic series will continue? Is there a planned ending?
theenglish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23 2012, 07:29 AM   #224
sojourner
Vice Admiral

Kirkland would like to continue to something like 300 issues. He does have an ending in mind. Someone mentioned it up thread.
Old October 23 2012, 09:34 AM   #225
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

Thanks for the answers. I wonder if I'm mixing up prison spoilers with spoilers about the guy we saw in the previews for next week.