New Funko Trek Figure
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Saldana As A Role Model

San Diego Comic-Con Trek Fan Guide

Cumberbatch As Turing

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

View Poll Results: Jessica Nigri
Thumbs Up 49 53.26%
Thumbs Down 23 25.00%
Thumbs Sideways 20 21.74%
Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 18 2012, 10:19 PM   #121
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Re: Jessica Nigri: Babe of the week #29 (July 2012)

She's a "nobody" in terms of her celebrity status when we're looking at a years long list of women on TV, movies, music and other forms of entertainment that have made them well known names all over the world. Compared to everyone else a young woman known only for cosplaying hardly fits the list.

I'm really not trying to demean or diminish her, I just may not be selecting my words very well. My point is simply that there's nothing to judge here but simply if she's a hot or not simply because she has no body of work to judge other than how well she looks in skimpy clothes.

All of the other "Babes" we've ever had at least had some form of work to also judge and factor into her rating.
Old July 18 2012, 11:38 PM   #122
Robert Maxwell
Respect the Beef

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell

The woman featured in this thread certainly exposes the BOTW concept as nothing but a meat market, but Trekker, you aren't making it any better by calling her a "nobody."

More people know who she is than know who you are, so what does that make you?
My blog
Robert Maxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18 2012, 11:41 PM   #123
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Old July 19 2012, 12:26 AM   #124
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

iguana_tonante wrote: View Post
You are also the one with hardening arteries, crystallized worl view, and inability to adapt to a changing society, so yeah, I am going right ahead.
Well, my arteries are fine, but I do have a solid worldview. And I'm certainly not going to adapt to fashions I don't like. I'm not really fond of extremism-- I'm not fond of politics in any form. I'll continue to promote the ideals of the Civil Rights Era, including Women's Lib and the Sexual Revolution because that's what I believe in.

So we should not talk about that, or take exception to it when it goes too far? Bow our head and not speak up? I would have never thought you were such a passive character, RJD.
I'm not passive at all. You'll note that this thread started to go off the rails when I commented on Trekker's insulting post-- because it was genuinely insulting. This is how a Babe Thread usually goes: Mostly benign up-and-down comments, some more risque or raunchy than others (and there's nothing wrong with a little risque and raunch now and then). Then you get the competition between the guys who try to prove their manhood by saying "I'd hit that" and the guys who say "I automatically vote up every time because you'll never get near that." Goofy, meaningless nonsense. With Yoda on board, there's more ageism than sexism. But if anything truly insulting is said, then somebody should speak up. When I notice it, I do.

I don't consider them goofy. I consider them demeaning. But I'll leave it at that.
This would be easier with specific examples. Perhaps we have different thresholds or perhaps I just don't pay close attention.

You misquoted what people have said, but I'm on the fence if you are aware of that or not.

We argued that rating women on how much they make your horny is demeaning; you said we argued it should be forbidden to talk about looks.

We argued that sexual objectification of women promotes rape culture; you said that we argued that "beauty contest is now rape".

We argued that crass, humiliating comments about women are a form of sexual harrassment against them; you said that we argued that "compliments are sexual harrassment".
That's not misquoting, that's trying to bring a little perspective. The rape culture and sexual harassment stuff is way over the top.

You probably think you are cute, which is a rather sad state of affairs. There are women right here, in this thread. You know, the ones with the little pink female symbol under their name. They are not some vague "female block". They are real, living persons. They have expressed discomfort at some of the comments. Right here, under your nose. And yet you ignore them and argue they don't exist except in people's mind. Talk to them. Listen to them. I don't what else I can say to make you pay attention.
I listen to everybody. That doesn't mean I agree. I love tsq and she's absolutely right about the rotten things that go on in this world, but I don't agree that it relates to this thread. Should we really modify our behavior or culture based on the lowest denominator? Should I (or you) stop admiring the artistic nudes at the museum (or on deviantArt) because some slobs in NYC ain't got no couth? If we do that, to coin a phrase, don't the terrorists win?

Not at all. Please, quote me saying that sexuality is bad in any way or form. You should really check who you are arguing agains, instread of label everyone who disagree with you as "prudes", even when it makes no sense.
This relates more to things that Rob and some others have said, here and elsewhere.

The "feminazi" slur was brandished at least two times in this thread. Search them. And to argue that our objections to crass comments are based on prudishness is both disingenous and hilarious, considering who are you talking to.
I never called anyone a feminazi. I said the current iteration of feminism has gone off the rails, which is true of just about everything in this phase.

This is actually a very good point, and I thank you for making it. The world is much better now than it was only 50 years ago, and we should thank your generation for that. I pay respect where respect is due. But it doesn't mean we should rest on our laurels and stop speaking up against unacceptable behaviour. You got you battles: you won some, you lost some, but you did a good job. We are proud of you. Even the midwives are proud of you. Now take a nap, and let us take it to the 21st century, ok?
Uh, thanks, I think. Unfortunately, the 21st Century isn't all it was predicted to be-- which is why I think we shouldn't rest on our laurels, especially in the one-step-back phase of the cycle.

Would you also like us to get off from your lawn?
No. My lawn is the new Woodstock.

Be careful, or Rush will come in a huff saying that the 1950s were a time of milk and honey, when white straight Christian men were real white straight Christian men, women stayed in the kitchen, and coloured people knew their place.
Well, I was once accused on TrekBBS of being racist-- because I support desegregation. Yet another example of how the world has gone strange.

Yeah, and many of them have expressed their feelings on the matter. So why you ignore them?
I'm not ignoring anybody.
Old July 19 2012, 12:35 AM   #125
Robert Maxwell
Respect the Beef

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell

RJDiogenes wrote: View Post
This relates more to things that Rob and some others have said, here and elsewhere.
Oh, you're not gonna get away with that. When and where did I ever say sexuality is bad? Because I just hate sex so much...

What I find disconcerting is people who can't differentiate between healthy sexuality and sexism.

I've noticed there's a particular type of "liberal" that thinks the fight for equal rights is over, and that women, blacks, gays, etc. just need to shut up and accept what they've been given already, because whitey's already given up so much and gosh darn it, why isn't everybody happy yet?

Women still get treated like objects, women still live with an alarmingly high danger of being sexually assaulted, women still get paid less than men, women still get fewer opportunities in the workplace because of their gender. And yet we're so "liberated" and "enlightened" now because we've "empowered" women. Those silly women just don't realize how good they've got it, I guess. It's a good thing they've got such forward-thinking gentlemen like you telling them how lucky they are, huh?

People like you tolerate and even perpetuate a culture that is demeaning and abusive toward women, while claiming you're doing them a favor. Utterly disgusting. Your misogyny may be more subtle than Rush Limborg's, but it's no less insidious.
My blog
Robert Maxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19 2012, 12:53 AM   #126
Kail
Commodore

Nope, to plastic.

I'm very selective about the reality I accept.
Kail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19 2012, 12:56 AM   #127
J. Allen
Best Pony™

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

Kail wrote: View Post
Nope, to plastic.
You're sending her to plastic?
-=- My Patron Saint is Twilight Sparkle -=-
J. Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19 2012, 01:04 AM   #128
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

He's giving up credit cards.
Old July 19 2012, 01:48 AM   #129
The Dominion
Fleet Captain

Kail wrote: View Post
Nope, to plastic.
Paper then? Or environment friendly bags?
Old July 19 2012, 02:16 AM   #130
Scout101
Admiral

I'm going with down here. There's nothing to judge her on personality-wise, so it's 100% her body on this one. And just not seeing anything special.

I'd rather be voting on Princess Leia, with requisite golden bikini, rather than some random girl playing dress-up at comic book conventions...
Perhaps, if I am very lucky, the feeble efforts of my lifetime will someday be noticed and maybe, in some small way, they will be acknowledged as the greatest works of genius ever created by man. ~Jack Handey
STO: @JScout33
Scout101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19 2012, 02:57 AM   #131
Rush Limborg
Vice Admiral

iguana_tonante wrote: View Post
Be careful, or Rush will come in a huff saying that the 1950s were a time of milk and honey, when white straight Christian men were real white straight Christian men, women stayed in the kitchen, and coloured people knew their place.
Well, I was once accused on TrekBBS of being racist-- because I support desegregation. Yet another example of how the world has gone strange.
Indeed. If iguana--or anyone else--is going to claim that I approve of supression of racial minorities, or dissaprove of professional working women--I don't see how they can say that nonsense with a straight face.

Somehow--and this is probably just my compassionate side--I don't think the main spokesmen (or spokeswomen) on that side so limited in intellect as to actually believe that.

"Forget it, Jake...it's Chinatown."
Rush Limborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19 2012, 03:53 AM   #132
sidious618
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to sidious618

Rush Limborg wrote: View Post
Indeed. If iguana--or anyone else--is going to claim that I approve of supression of racial minorities, or dissaprove of professional working women--I don't see how they can say that nonsense with a straight face.
The man your screename honors went on a tirade about how a woman was a slut. What other image could you possibly be giving out?
Old July 19 2012, 05:04 AM   #133
TayLaLaLa
Fleet Captain

Lovely lady.
TayLaLaLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19 2012, 08:00 AM   #134
Aragorn
Admiral

Hint for the next BOTW (no direct answers):

"I'll tell you a riddle. You're waiting for a train, a train that will take you far away. You know where you hope this train will take you, but you don't know for sure. But it doesn't matter. How can it not matter to you where that train will take you?"
Aragorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 19 2012, 08:42 AM   #135
iguana_tonante
Admiral

I'll skip the off-topic stuff about "the state of the world today", and zero on just a few points.

This is how a Babe Thread usually goes: Mostly benign up-and-down comments, some more risque or raunchy than others (and there's nothing wrong with a little risque and raunch now and then). (...) Goofy, meaningless nonsense. With Yoda on board, there's more ageism than sexism. But if anything truly insulting is said, then somebody should speak up. When I notice it, I do.
I get that what we consider "benign", "goofy" comments is completely different.

That's not misquoting, that's trying to bring a little perspective.
I.e. misquoting. Thanks.

I listen to everybody. That doesn't mean I agree. I love tsq and she's absolutely right about the rotten things that go on in this world, but I don't agree that it relates to this thread.
People saying crass, demeaning comments to women on the streets. People saying crass, demeaning comments about women on a forum. Yes, completely different. They don't come from the same mindset. Not at all.

Should I (or you) stop admiring the artistic nudes at the museum (or on deviantArt) because some slobs in NYC ain't got no couth?
See? This is why you make no sense here. Who ever said we should stop seeing nudes, or risque pictures? Who, in this thread, or in the history of every thread dealing with misoginistic comments by a few people on this board, has ever said that there should be any form of censorship about images? You are arguing against things that don't exist, because nobody ever said it. (Same with your comments about Rob Maxwell's hate of sexuality so some other bullshit.)