Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

View Poll Results: Jessica Nigri
Thumbs Up 49 53.26%
Thumbs Down 23 25.00%
Thumbs Sideways 20 21.74%
Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 18 2012, 01:27 AM   #76
iguana_tonante
Admiral

Re: Jessica Nigri: Babe of the week #29 (July 2012)

RJDiogenes, again you talk a lot without saying anything of substance.

RJDiogenes wrote: View Post
iguana_tonante wrote: View Post
Great to talk about it in theory. It makes you feel all enlightnened without the need to actually do anything. Very convenient. Put yourself in other people's shoes for a change, not just for a day but for years and years of harrassment, and see how you like it.
As I said: For longer than you've been alive. Ah, but I forgot: those decades working in OB-GYN and women's advocacy is just a "shtick" so it doesn't count.
Given your comments, your work with women's issues ended years ago. I guess also your sensibilities about what is acceptable and what is unacceptable in polite society stopped changing about at the same time. You probably were "progressive" and "liberal". In the 50s. Now, not so much.

You know, I don't usually go after people about their age, because I consider it rather impolite and counter-productive. But after your umphteenth snide about age, it's fair game.

In any case, the "pieces of meat" thing is your slogan, not mine-- as far as I'm concerned, female beauty is as open to discussion as any other topic.
Talking about appearence is fine, objectifying people is not. I don't know why this is so difficult to you to understand.

{ Emilia } wrote:
You really think history ended when the civil rights movement "won", huh?
No, of course not. That's why I always speak up against the backsliding.
Funny way you have to do that.

What Rob and iguana are objecting to is the very concept of the thread.
I find the concept of the thread questionable, because it's not "let's talk about beautiful women", but rather "let's grade women based on how much they make me horny". But I tend to give people the benefit of the doubt even in the most questionable circumstances, depending on their behaviour. Unfortunately, some people's behaviour here has been less than optimal.

I'm not sure who you think I'm defending, aside from the star of the thread, so you'll have to be more specific.
I'll be more specific. I find it puzzling that, while you stated more than once that "rudeness is bad", you never made your voice heard against crass comments about women, or when people were called "Feminazi" and "whiny protesters". Why? Isn't it rude, too? And yet, not one word from you. But you are quite quick to jump on people who objected to it. So I guess that not all rudeness is equal, right?

I'm seeing people objecting to the very concept of talking about looks, because it's "treating people like pieces of meat" and "promoting rape" and "sexual harassment." Some pretty off the wall stuff here.
Nice strawman you made up there. Much easier than debating with what people actually say, isn't it. The issue is not "talking about looks", as it has been explained multiple times so far, but the crass, objectifying tone of the comments. But tell us again how we object to those comments because we are afraid of sex and dislike women's body, because it will make you look really smart pursuing that argument.

But you know, you don't need to listen to me. I'm just a random guy on the web. But you have female posters coming here and telling flat out that some comments made them uncomfortable. For someone so concerned with women's advocacy, you don't seem particularly interested in what they have to say.

EtA: Lulz at Rush patting RJDiogenes on the back for how he is "dismantling" people's argument. I guess beauty is really in the eyes of the beholder. Even when he's blind with prejudices and smugness.
Old July 18 2012, 01:31 AM   #77
Rush Limborg
Vice Admiral

Again, you talk a lot without saying anything of substance.
Well, this is amusing! If he's not saying anything of substance, what are you allegedly refuting?

"Forget it, Jake...it's Chinatown."
Rush Limborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18 2012, 01:35 AM   #78
sidious618
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to sidious618

Rush Limborg wrote: View Post
Again, you talk a lot without saying anything of substance.
Well, this is amusing! If he's not saying anything of substance, what are you allegedly refuting?
This makes no sense. I said I wouldn't step back in but your attitude has been counterproductive because you're on the sidelines egging things on without actually saying anything of substance. At least RJ has the good sense to write a lot that it seems like he's saying something.

Iguana is dismantling the strawman arguments and veiled insults that RJ has made. That's obvious, I think.

Edit: And before you accuse me of "attacking" you, please show what you've added to the discussion other than pretty much telling RJ to give it to us feminists.
Old July 18 2012, 01:37 AM   #79
iguana_tonante
Admiral

The same stuff I refuted the last time, and the one time before that. But now, don't be rude with the old man. He forgets things easily, and need to be reminded often.
Old July 18 2012, 01:37 AM   #80
Kestra
Vice Admiral

While I may take issue with the "Creationists" remark--still, I must admit I am absolutely enjoying how beautifully RJDiogenes is handling--and dismantling--the "arguments" of his adversaries in this debate. The other side seems given in to bromides, straw men, and catchphrases--all of which seem to indicate major defensiveness indicative of a chip on the shoulder the size of Montana. (Amazing how they are the ones lecturing on "civil behavior"....)

Carry on, mate.
Do you care so little that people are uncomfortable? I mean I get that people make comments and don't really appreciate the impact that it has on others. But once it's been pointed out and you not only carry on, but are so gleeful in posts like this ... I dunno, I find that far more disconcerting.
Kestra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18 2012, 01:55 AM   #81
the G-man
Commodore

Kestra wrote: View Post
While I may take issue with the "Creationists" remark--still, I must admit I am absolutely enjoying how beautifully RJDiogenes is handling--and dismantling--the "arguments" of his adversaries in this debate. The other side seems given in to bromides, straw men, and catchphrases--all of which seem to indicate major defensiveness indicative of a chip on the shoulder the size of Montana. (Amazing how they are the ones lecturing on "civil behavior"....)

Carry on, mate.
Do you care so little that people are uncomfortable?
Why should he, or anyone else, take responsibility for others' overreaction?
the G-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18 2012, 01:55 AM   #82
{ Emilia }
Rear Admiral

{ Emilia } wrote:
Nonsense, sure you'd like honest comments. I can believe that.
But degrading comments? Criticism that just makes fun of you and your terrible lack of imagination and writing skills and how you lack the intelligence to write anything that's even remotely interesting? (I'm not saying this is true. I'm just trying to illustrate the comparison.)
You'd ask for some kind of civil behaviour and rightly so.
That would be rude, but I could handle it. I've already said many times that rudeness is bad in any context.
Objectifying women isn't just rude, it's also sexist. But it seems you agree with my general statement.

{ Emilia } wrote:
That civil behaviour is what's lacking in this thread. And let's be blunt here: objectification of women has a long history and it's quite amusing how a self-proclaimed enlightened progressive just turns a blind eye towards it when it happens in our day and age.
Again, rudeness is always bad. What Rob and iguana are objecting to is the very concept of the thread.
We have some small issues with the concept of this thread, yes. But it's not a big deal. This all depends a lot on how people actually act in the threads. I already wrote how it's about tone and civil behaviour.
The BOTW-thread can be just fine and pretty civil. But sadly the tone in it is often degrading, sexist and rude.

You said that female beauty is a topic people should be able to freely discuss and I completely agree with that. But the tone should be civil.
But instead of agreeing with that your gut reaction was to call people who took offense at the degrading tone displayed by quite a few posters over months feminazis and prudes.

When in fact we're quite the opposite. I bet you don't really think the iguana or me are prude and/or attached to 1950s values like Rush Limborg is.

I don't really understand you. Why defend such behaviour? I don't think this thread is bad per se. But apparently it invites uncivil behaviour. And when sexist, objectifying comments are made I'm gonna show up and call people out on it.

Why? Because I can. Because we don't really have to "tolerate this" and shut up. Because Rush's 1950's values don't apply here. Women are allowed to speak up now and I'm sure you appreciate that, RJ.

I'm not sure who you think I'm defending, aside from the star of the thread, so you'll have to be more specific. The rest of this comment is rather arbitrary and contradictory to everything I've ever posted, so that also requires some explanation.
What exactly are you trying to achieve then?

I never said the thread itself is bad. I think some of the comments made are awful. What are you arguing?
Are you just arguing for the sake of furthering your "feminism is so outdated"-agenda?

{ Emilia } wrote:
See, that just shows how you don't understand it. I have no issues with women wearing revealing clothing, female beauty, aesthetic art, or the people expressing themselves through it.
I didn't think so. That's why I asked.
Well, I'm glad I was able to clear that up for you.

{ Emilia } wrote:
I have issues with a sexist audience who's only interested in "I'd do her!". People who don't see these models/actresses as artists who create a piece of art with the director/photographer but just as objectified pieces of meat they "would do" or "wouldn't do because they got that boring generic supermodel look and an ugly forehead!!!1!".
Okay, that's good.
Yay.

{ Emilia } wrote:
This whole discussion is a lot about the tone used in these threads. The people criticizing it don't have issues with talking about looks or giving compliments.
That's not what I'm seeing. I'm seeing people objecting to the very concept of talking about looks,
You need new glasses then. That's absolutely not what I was trying to say at least. It's not about trying to make "talking about looks" a taboo. It's about a certain type of sexist, offensive, degrading attitude that shows up in this thread again and again.
Like I said I don't remember you making any of these posts.

{ Emilia } wrote:
Of course. Rudeness is bad in any context.
Nobody cares if a random nerd says "She's not my type." but making a degrading joke about somebody's looks or objectifying the woman solely as a sex object... that's silly.
Obviously.
There's hope!

snip
I'm not quite sure why you are here. The girls in these threads usually don't have those innocent, pure, childlike qualities you like in women.
Old July 18 2012, 01:57 AM   #83
Kestra
Vice Admiral

the G-man wrote: View Post

Carry on, mate.
Because some people don't consider it an overreaction and empathy is generally considered a worthwhile trait when you're a participating member in a society?
Kestra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18 2012, 02:00 AM   #84
sidious618
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to sidious618

Carry on, mate.
This is actually true. Just because people are getting offended doesn't mean anything on the surface. However, people have explained why they are offended and why they think it's bad. At that point, comments like this are just trying to wave away a problem and they are similar to comments made in the past when women's issues have come up. I don't think anyone has said anything so insane that it can be ignored by claiming it's an overreaction.

And once again I break my word of not stepping in. Ah, well.

Because some people don't consider it an overreaction and empathy is generally considered a worthwhile trait when you're a participating member in a society?
Exactly. No one in here has screamed about being offended and said there should be apologies galore and given no reason for their stances. When people do that then they're overreacting. As is, the idea that people should be ignored in here for "overreacting" is simply not that helpful to the conversation.
Old July 18 2012, 02:29 AM   #85
Rush Limborg
Vice Admiral

{ Emilia } wrote: View Post
snip
I'm not quite sure why you are here. The girls in these threads usually don't have those innocent, pure, childlike qualities you like in women.
Well, I'm sure you have me all figured out:

I bet you don't really think the iguana or me are prude and/or attached to 1950s values like Rush Limborg is.

...Why? Because I can. Because we don't really have to "tolerate this" and shut up. Because Rush's 1950's values don't apply here. Women are allowed to speak up now and I'm sure you appreciate that, RJ.
Yes...I'm sure. For the record, ma'am, no one's told you to shut up, or to not speak up. This is what I was referring to, regarding the chip on the shoulder--ranting about evil "prudes" like me who are supposedly stuck in the '50's and want women to "shut up and cook", or something....

And to answer your question, sidious--why am I here?

Well, I took part in the discussion before--but in this particular situation, to paraphrase someone, I suppose I enjoy certain kinds of train wrecks.

And regarding "empathy"--well, shucks, I hardly see much "empathy" on the part of your side....

Old July 18 2012, 02:41 AM   #86
Robert Maxwell
Respect the Beef

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell

{ Emilia } wrote: View Post
snip
Well, I'm sure you have me all figured out:

I bet you don't really think the iguana or me are prude and/or attached to 1950s values like Rush Limborg is.

...Why? Because I can. Because we don't really have to "tolerate this" and shut up. Because Rush's 1950's values don't apply here. Women are allowed to speak up now and I'm sure you appreciate that, RJ.
Yes...I'm sure. For the record, ma'am, no one's told you to shut up, or to not speak up. This is what I was referring to, regarding the chip on the shoulder--ranting about evil "prudes" like me who are supposedly stuck in the '50's and want women to "shut up and cook", or something....

And to answer your question, sidious--why am I here?

Well, I took part in the discussion before--but in this particular situation, to paraphrase someone, I suppose I enjoy certain kinds of train wrecks.

And regarding "empathy"--well, shucks, I hardly see much "empathy" on the part of your side....
Oh, those mean liberals. Why don't they have any empathy for sexists? Where's their consideration and respect for people who enjoy objectifying women? Their intolerance for the promotion of misogyny just betrays their own bigotry!
My blog
Robert Maxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18 2012, 02:44 AM   #87
the G-man
Commodore

sidious618 wrote: View Post

This is actually true. Just because people are getting offended doesn't mean anything on the surface. However...I don't think anyone has said anything so insane that it can be ignored by claiming it's an overreaction.
Comparing this to rape, as at least one poster did, seems to be a pretty obvious example of an overreaction. Same with arguing that it sexually harasses the model to vote up or down. Models are paid, in part, on how people judge their looks.

Because some people don't consider it an overreaction...
People who overreact rarely do.
the G-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18 2012, 02:53 AM   #88
Rush Limborg
Vice Admiral

Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
Oh, those mean liberals. Why don't they have any empathy for sexists? Where's their consideration and respect for people who enjoy objectifying women? Their intolerance for the promotion of misogyny just betrays their own bigotry!
Uh-huh. They have that kind of attitude--all too quick to level those kinds of accusations, lumping people together with little abandon...and they demand empathy from our side.

As a rule, I don't empathize with people who levvy those kinds of personal attacks against me--or against RJ, for that matter.

Old July 18 2012, 03:01 AM   #89
Robert Maxwell
Respect the Beef

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
Uh-huh. They have that kind of attitude--all too quick to level those kinds of accusations, lumping people together with little abandon...and they demand empathy from our side.

As a rule, I don't empathize with people who levvy those kinds of personal attacks against me--or against RJ, for that matter.
What attitude is that? The attitude that doesn't take white men's whining seriously? You'll probably find it all over.

I'm a straight white guy living in the US. I recognize that I get unspoken and unearned privileges for being so. I don't have to work as hard to get what I want out of life as a woman or a black person would.

See, that's empathy. I get that I have advantages that others don't. I get that straight white guys have pissed on everyone else for centuries, and it's going to take time to fix that.

The US still has an insidiously sexist culture that demeans women and tolerates if not promotes sexual discrimination and assault. Things are better than they used to be, but hardly "equal" as RJ likes to pretend.

I also love how women being "empowered" means they have to put up with men saying "I'd like to fuck you." I guess they're just "empowered" to be cum dumpsters.
My blog
Robert Maxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18 2012, 03:09 AM   #90
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

Why would I tell that story? It's not really applicable here. That came up when some women were complaining about sexual references in Misc ("boys' locker room talk"-- there's some sexism if you want some ). I used that story as one of several examples that women are the equal of men and should not need to be protected. A more appropriate story that I've told before would be from when I was in QI at St Margaret's. I worked with a nurse named Mary who once wanted to go to her friend's bachelorette party where they were going to see male strippers, but her husband wouldn't "let" her. To cheer her up, I brought her in a Chippendale's calendar, which she loved. Our boss, a nurse named Maureen, came into the office while she was looking at it and Mary had a moment of panic. But Maureen, a bit older and the prim and proper type, also loved it and told Mary to hang it on the bulletin board. It's kind of disorienting when reality doesn't support politics, isn't it? By the way, don't you work as a model?
RJ, here's the thing, you don't need to present the female viewpoint on this issue for us, there are plenty of women on this site that can do that for themselves. These threads get brought up in other areas of the forum a lot, and the vast majority of women say that they find these threads distasteful. You may disagree with their opinion, but that is their opinion. You can attempt to flaunt your feminist credentials all you want, you don't represent the views of women on this issue.

Have you stopped to ask yourself why women feel that way? And why you feel differently?

Gov Kodos wrote: View Post
It's a Long Way to Tipperary.
Speak for yourself, it's only a half-hour drive for me.

No, of course not. That's why I always speak up against the backsliding. We're obviously in the "one step back" of the cycle now.
RJ, look at who you're arguing against. Now look at who has your back. You're not on the progressive or liberal side of this argument, no matter how much you claim to be. And the sad thing is that you're the only person here who appears to be unable to see that.

iguana_tonante wrote: View Post
EtA: Lulz at Rush patting RJDiogenes on the back for how he is "dismantling" people's argument. I guess beauty is really in the eyes of the beholder. Even when he's blind with prejudices and smugness.
Limborg's hero is Rush Limbaugh, the guy who claimed today that the villain in the new Batman movie, Bane, was so named because of a conspiracy by liberal Hollywood to hurt Romney's reputation because he was chairman of Bain Capital. If that's the level of argument that Limborg is used to, it's no surprise that he doesn't know what an actual good argument looks like.