RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,317
Posts: 5,352,409
Members: 24,622
Currently online: 668
Newest member: groucho900

TrekToday headlines

Drexler TV Alert
By: T'Bonz on Jul 26

Retro Review: His Way
By: Michelle on Jul 26

MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Ships Of The Line Design Contest
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Next Weekend: Shore Leave 36!
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

True Trek History To Be Penned
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Insight Editions Announces Three Trek Books For 2015
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

To Be Takei Review by Spencer Blohm
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Mulgrew: Playing Red
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Hallmark 2015 Trek Ornaments
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

View Poll Results: Jessica Nigri
Thumbs Up 49 53.26%
Thumbs Down 23 25.00%
Thumbs Sideways 20 21.74%
Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old July 20 2012, 05:31 PM   #211
MacLeod
Admiral
 
Location: Great Britain
Re: Jessica Nigri: Babe of the week #29 (July 2012)

Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
I say "girl," but if it offends anyone I am happy to accommodate.
I use that from time to time as well as lady.
__________________
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20 2012, 05:47 PM   #212
Scout101
Admiral
 
Scout101's Avatar
 
Location: Rhode Island, USA
Re: Jessica Nigri: Babe of the week #29 (July 2012)

Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
Scout101 wrote: View Post
Honestly, half the noise in this thread seems to be from guys all trying to argue that they're the most sensitive towards womens' needs, pro-feminist, etc. Even when the women are telling them it's not really needed in this case, or that they're sinking their argument by telling the women they know what women are thinking more than the ACTUAL women posting. Always seems to be kinda an odd thing that happens here.
I'm thinking you didn't actually read this thread because that's not what happened at all.
You may have mis-read my comment, then. I could go back and quote some of RJ's posts, but not really worth the effort. He repeatedly told us how pro-feminist he was, and how he understood women. Women disagreed with him, and he told them they were wrong, he understood better than they did. Which part of that didn't happen?

{ Emilia } wrote: View Post
Yeah, I didn't see a single woman agreeing with RJ. All the women who contributed to this thread agree with what sidious, you and the iguana said.
Which is what I just said, so not sure what you're arguing. When the women in the thread told RJ he was wrong, or to stuff it, he basically told you that you were wrong, he understood better, and be quiet, sweetie. An odd tact for someone claiming to be more feminist than the women, but that's what he went with.

that, and claiming he was intentionally using strawmen and random other fallacies and calling it a debating tactic rather than just piss-poor debating. Not sure what the 'intentionally tanking your arguments' debate tactic is supposed to achieve, though...
__________________
Perhaps, if I am very lucky, the feeble efforts of my lifetime will someday be noticed and maybe, in some small way, they will be acknowledged as the greatest works of genius ever created by man. ~Jack Handey
STO: @JScout33
Scout101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20 2012, 05:54 PM   #213
thestrangequark
Vice Admiral
 
thestrangequark's Avatar
 
Location: thestrangequark
Re: Jessica Nigri: Babe of the week #29 (July 2012)

RJDiogenes wrote: View Post
Hopefully unchanged, just as mine was after every unsuccessful interview I ever had. Nobody should allow an experience like that to lower their self esteem.
This is very unfair. One, it assumes that people have more control over their feelings than they actually do, which is very out-dated. I don't "allow" my self esteem to suffer, just like I don't "allow" myself to bleed when I get cut, or bruise when I bang my knee. It happens, and then I cope. And two, saying "she shouldn't let it get to her," aside from being unfair to the woman, removes the focus from the behavior that should be being judged -- the sexism of the man.
Okay, that's fine. Again, my opinions are based on my own experience. Or perhaps we're talking about different things. I'll say the same thing that I said to iguana-- in the future you should PM me examples of posts you think are objectionable and we can discuss specifics rather than going around and around in the abstract.
I can do that, but it won't be all that helpful as it's the whole attitude behind the thread is the problem. And, I can't believe I didn't mention this before, but to further my point that this is not happening in isolation, and directly affects behavior on other parts of the board, here's a specific example.

You're assuming a behavior on the part of me and and my friends which isn't true, just as you are assuming motivations on the part of women in general
No, I've said repeatedly that women are not a hive mind. That's my point. Treating women as some monolith voting block is sexist in and of itself.
You're exact quote was:
RJDiogenes wrote: View Post
I think I can safely assume that when you are with your female friends and talk about guys, the talk can get pretty salty and you say things that you wouldn't say to somebody's face.
I know you consider women your equal, but no matter how much life experience a man has, he cannot know what it is like to be a woman, raised in a society that values you primarily on your sexual desirability and defines that desirability within extremely narrow standards, a society where you are still not considered as intelligent as men, where you are still dismissed as being under the thumb of your hormones and incapable of reason, where you have greater than 1 in 4 odds of being sexually assaulted by the time you are 18, etc.
Yes, exactly. That is sexism.

Again, it would be better to discuss specifics. This is just going around in circles and taking up way too much time.
I don't know, I think having this discussion in the open is better. There are a lot of people reading this who might not have formed complete opinions and may learn a lot, and there may be guys here who didn't recognize their own behavior as sexist but who might now start to question it. As long as things remain civil, and I know that between you and me a debate would never devolve to anything less, then what good does it do anyone to keep it behind closed doors?
__________________
The Enterprise is my TARDIS.

View my art!
thestrangequark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20 2012, 06:57 PM   #214
Robert Maxwell
Respect the Beef
 
Robert Maxwell's Avatar
 
Location: Right behind you!
View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell
Re: Jessica Nigri: Babe of the week #29 (July 2012)

Scout101 wrote: View Post
Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
Scout101 wrote: View Post
Honestly, half the noise in this thread seems to be from guys all trying to argue that they're the most sensitive towards womens' needs, pro-feminist, etc. Even when the women are telling them it's not really needed in this case, or that they're sinking their argument by telling the women they know what women are thinking more than the ACTUAL women posting. Always seems to be kinda an odd thing that happens here.
I'm thinking you didn't actually read this thread because that's not what happened at all.
You may have mis-read my comment, then. I could go back and quote some of RJ's posts, but not really worth the effort. He repeatedly told us how pro-feminist he was, and how he understood women. Women disagreed with him, and he told them they were wrong, he understood better than they did. Which part of that didn't happen?
The part where you said "half the noise" was from posters (plural) making those statements, when you just noted that there was one poster (RJ) doing that. (Well, I guess you could give Limborg some "credit," too.)
__________________
"Holy shit! It's Beef Supreme!"
The Journeyman - Buy it now! Maybe?
My world simulation project!
My blog
Robert Maxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20 2012, 07:54 PM   #215
captcalhoun
Admiral
 
Location: everywhere
Re: Jessica Nigri: Babe of the week #29 (July 2012)

can i chime back in and say, i actually find it offensive when McBundy acts like a teen horn dog to every guy on the picture post thread. i know we're all going on about objectifying women and how disgusting it is (which it totally is, i may have bad Male Gaze, but I try to view women as people first and attractive second, even if i miserably fail to convey this fact) but i think it's just as bad when a man does it to other men.

i'm not being homophobic here, i couldn't give a shit if McBundy's gay, i just find it offensive that he has to drool over every guy who posts a photo whether they're gay or straight and often he does it to people who are new to the forum and i think it's a bad impression to give to people.

so, yeah, i totes get where the women are coming from.
captcalhoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20 2012, 08:13 PM   #216
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral
 
Location: Hollywood, CA
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to doubleohfive
Re: Jessica Nigri: Babe of the week #29 (July 2012)

captcalhoun wrote: View Post
can i chime back in and say, i actually find it offensive when McBundy acts like a teen horn dog to every guy on the picture post thread. i know we're all going on about objectifying women and how disgusting it is (which it totally is, i may have bad Male Gaze, but I try to view women as people first and attractive second, even if i miserably fail to convey this fact) but i think it's just as bad when a man does it to other men.

i'm not being homophobic here, i couldn't give a shit if McBundy's gay, i just find it offensive that he has to drool over every guy who posts a photo whether they're gay or straight and often he does it to people who are new to the forum and i think it's a bad impression to give to people.

so, yeah, i totes get where the women are coming from.
The difference here is, you're singling out one specific person, and one specific person only who we all know and interact with. If you have such a problem with his behavior, why not approach him about it? Why not complain (privately) to the moderators of the forum?

This is just another (weak) leg you're grasping to stand on so you can walk away from this discussion without feeling like you're completely wrong. But you are.

Honestly, I can't deny that McBundy does hit on a lot of guys in that thread, but has anyone asked him to stop? The most that has happened has been people poke fun at it, and tease him about it. Has any single one of us actually said, "Dude. Knock it off." ?

If your point was about how all the gay guys in Misc do what you are describing as Shameless McBundy's behavior, that'd be one thing. But you aren't. You're throwing him under the rug along with the requisite "I don't have a problem with his being gay" when you clearly do, otherwise you wouldn't even be thinking to compare it to this discussion.

One man hitting on a hitting on a bunch of guys is not the same thing as a bunch of guys judging a different woman each week based solely on her looks and making demeaning, sexist remarks about them.

Also a point to consider: there are far worse things said in the Picture thread by men to women in there than anything Shameless has ever said to a man in there. You might want to get your facts straight before launching your next post-hoc tirade.

2) Why is it whenever someone says "I'm not homophobic..." they inevitably start saying or doing things that reveal their homophobia?

3) Don't use the word "totes" when you mean to say "totally." It's silly, especially in what has otherwise been a serious debate.
__________________
"You are the product. You feeling something. That's what sells. Not them. Not sex. They can't do what we do and they hate us for it."
--Don Draper
doubleohfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20 2012, 08:26 PM   #217
Robert Maxwell
Respect the Beef
 
Robert Maxwell's Avatar
 
Location: Right behind you!
View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell
Re: Jessica Nigri: Babe of the week #29 (July 2012)

doubleohfive wrote: View Post
captcalhoun wrote: View Post
can i chime back in and say, i actually find it offensive when McBundy acts like a teen horn dog to every guy on the picture post thread. i know we're all going on about objectifying women and how disgusting it is (which it totally is, i may have bad Male Gaze, but I try to view women as people first and attractive second, even if i miserably fail to convey this fact) but i think it's just as bad when a man does it to other men.

i'm not being homophobic here, i couldn't give a shit if McBundy's gay, i just find it offensive that he has to drool over every guy who posts a photo whether they're gay or straight and often he does it to people who are new to the forum and i think it's a bad impression to give to people.

so, yeah, i totes get where the women are coming from.
The difference here is, you're singling out one specific person, and one specific person only who we all know and interact with. If you have such a problem with his behavior, why not approach him about it? Why not complain (privately) to the moderators of the forum?

This is just another (weak) leg you're grasping to stand on so you can walk away from this discussion without feeling like you're completely wrong. But you are.

Honestly, I can't deny that McBundy does hit on a lot of guys in that thread, but has anyone asked him to stop? The most that has happened has been people poke fun at it, and tease him about it. Has any single one of us actually said, "Dude. Knock it off." ?

If your point was about how all the gay guys in Misc do what you are describing as Shameless McBundy's behavior, that'd be one thing. But you aren't. You're throwing him under the rug along with the requisite "I don't have a problem with his being gay" when you clearly do, otherwise you wouldn't even be thinking to compare it to this discussion.

One man hitting on a hitting on a bunch of guys is not the same thing as a bunch of guys judging a different woman each week based solely on her looks and making demeaning, sexist remarks about them.

Also a point to consider: there are far worse things said in the Picture thread by men to women in there than anything Shameless has ever said to a man in there. You might want to get your facts straight before launching your next post-hoc tirade.

2) Why is it whenever someone says "I'm not homophobic..." they inevitably start saying or doing things that reveal their homophobia?

3) Don't use the word "totes" when you mean to say "totally." It's silly, especially in what has otherwise been a serious debate.
Wow, I'm glad I hadn't handed this out yet today. You've earned it!

__________________
"Holy shit! It's Beef Supreme!"
The Journeyman - Buy it now! Maybe?
My world simulation project!
My blog
Robert Maxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20 2012, 09:19 PM   #218
Balrog
Commodore
 
Balrog's Avatar
 
Location: Balrog
Re: Jessica Nigri: Babe of the week #29 (July 2012)

MacLeod wrote: View Post

So if we accept gal as the feminine form of guy
Let me stop you right there - Guy


While gal, an alteration of girl - Girl

To quote - The word girl is sometimes used to refer to an adult female. This usage may be considered derogatory or disrespectful in professional or other formal contexts, just as the term boy can be considered disparaging when applied to an adult man. Hence, this usage is often deprecative.

To sum up: Guy - Not offensive, unless you're pro-Guy Fawkes, Gal - derogatory and disrespectful.
__________________
Anybody got some peppermint?
Balrog was Lloyd Dobler
Balrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20 2012, 09:49 PM   #219
captcalhoun
Admiral
 
Location: everywhere
Re: Jessica Nigri: Babe of the week #29 (July 2012)

McBundy's been told before about his behaviour. he stops for all of five minutes and then starts it up again.

the mods clearly know about his behaviour, yet haven't done anything to stop it. why complain if no definitive action is taken? repeated 'knock it off' type commetns don't stop him, so what good is me complaining going to do if after all this time no one has actually slapped him with a warning for his prior behaviour?

and i'm not homophobic. it's his constant horn dog behavoiur i don't like which is worse than anything i've ever said. and i'd say that if there was someone doing it to all the women all the time.
captcalhoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20 2012, 09:51 PM   #220
sidious618
Admiral
 
sidious618's Avatar
 
Location: New York, US
Send a message via AIM to sidious618
Re: Jessica Nigri: Babe of the week #29 (July 2012)

McBundy hasn't done it in months, perhaps even a year. He was told to stop, harshly, and he's halted. He also didn't comment on when he thought people were ugly, or worthy of a thumbs down, which is the real problem, I think.
__________________
We've met before, haven't we?
sidious618 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20 2012, 09:52 PM   #221
captcalhoun
Admiral
 
Location: everywhere
Re: Jessica Nigri: Babe of the week #29 (July 2012)

he was making horn dog comments to Pop Boy only last week!
captcalhoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20 2012, 10:03 PM   #222
scotpens
Vice Admiral
 
scotpens's Avatar
 
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Re: Jessica Nigri: Babe of the week #29 (July 2012)

captcalhoun wrote: View Post
. . . so, yeah, i totes get where the women are coming from.
When did "totes" become short for "totally"? Sounds awfully twee.

To yank this thread back on topic: Thumbs way down for me. That woman looks like she's made of plastic. She must have two pounds of silicone in each boob.

At least when she dies, they won't have to bury her -- she can go in the recycle bin.
__________________
“All the universe or nothingness. Which shall it be, Passworthy? Which shall it be?”
scotpens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20 2012, 11:01 PM   #223
{ Emilia }
Rear Admiral
 
{ Emilia }'s Avatar
 
Location: a Venetian exclave in the Rhineland
Re: Jessica Nigri: Babe of the week #29 (July 2012)

scotpens wrote: View Post
captcalhoun wrote: View Post
. . . so, yeah, i totes get where the women are coming from.
When did "totes" become short for "totally"? Sounds awfully twee.

To yank this thread back on topic: Thumbs way down for me. That woman looks like she's made of plastic. She must have two pounds of silicone in each boob.

At least when she dies, they won't have to bury her -- she can go in the recycle bin.
So yeah, what did we talk about earlier in this thread?

Somebody remind me.
{ Emilia } is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21 2012, 12:53 AM   #224
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral
 
Location: Hollywood, CA
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to doubleohfive
Re: Jessica Nigri: Babe of the week #29 (July 2012)

captcalhoun wrote: View Post
McBundy's been told before about his behaviour. he stops for all of five minutes and then starts it up again.
Example?

the mods clearly know about his behaviour, yet haven't done anything to stop it. why complain if no definitive action is taken? repeated 'knock it off' type commetns don't stop him, so what good is me complaining going to do if after all this time no one has actually slapped him with a warning for his prior behaviour?
...so your choice is to use this all as a defense for your own poor behavior and attitude toward women, which you have already acknowledged? Brilliant deduction, Holmes! Indubitably!

and i'm not homophobic. it's his constant horn dog behavoiur i don't like which is worse than anything i've ever said. and i'd say that if there was someone doing it to all the women all the time.
McBundy's oft-repeated "How you doin'?" is worse than anything you've ever said?

Let's take a look, shall we?

Regarding Alice Eve:

captcalhoun wrote: View Post
you could park a fricking BMX in that cleavage. LINK
Regarding Cassidy Freeman:

captcalhoun wrote: View Post
oh, hooray, a straight-forward clue i get. and she'll be an up from me. try and get some of the pix of her in military uniform, though LINK
Regarding Katy Perry:

captcalhoun wrote: View Post
and, you know what, i'd even do her with funky ass weird reverse-articulated alien legs like in the ET video. LINK
Also regarding Katy Perry:

captcalhoun wrote: View Post
anyone who votes down should turn in their man-card and GTFO.

and yeah, she still looks hot in that early morning half-asleep, WTF-are-you-doing-Russell photo.

She was too good for him and i knew it wouldn't last. LINK
Regarding Julie Gonzalo:

captcalhoun wrote: View Post
the distinct lack of pix of her in her cheerleader outfit from Dodgeball is frankly disappointing. LINK
Regarding Lucy Pinder:

captcalhoun wrote: View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...YYEWVcIac&NR=1

try that one.

shame she clearly put her hand on the blade in the SW one...LINK

And this is only going back to May of 2012!

So.

I'd love to see an example of Shameless McBundy's horn-dog behavior that would be comparable to any of the things you've posted about other women. I will certainly allow for the possibility that he's crossed the line on occasion, but certainly not anywhere near to the excessive consistency or intensity as you or others have regarding women in these BOTW threads.

Aside: Is anyone else finding it rather ironic that captcalhoun is bitching about McBundy being the horn dog?
__________________
"You are the product. You feeling something. That's what sells. Not them. Not sex. They can't do what we do and they hate us for it."
--Don Draper
doubleohfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21 2012, 01:06 AM   #225
Locutus of Bored
Furfallin'
 
Locutus of Bored's Avatar
 
Location: Huntington Beach, California
Re: Jessica Nigri: Babe of the week #29 (July 2012)

captcalhoun wrote: View Post
can i chime back in and say, i actually find it offensive when McBundy acts like a teen horn dog to every guy on the picture post thread. i know we're all going on about objectifying women and how disgusting it is (which it totally is, i may have bad Male Gaze, but I try to view women as people first and attractive second, even if i miserably fail to convey this fact) but i think it's just as bad when a man does it to other men.

i'm not being homophobic here, i couldn't give a shit if McBundy's gay, i just find it offensive that he has to drool over every guy who posts a photo whether they're gay or straight and often he does it to people who are new to the forum and i think it's a bad impression to give to people.

so, yeah, i totes get where the women are coming from.
captcalhoun wrote: View Post
McBundy's been told before about his behaviour. he stops for all of five minutes and then starts it up again.

the mods clearly know about his behaviour, yet haven't done anything to stop it. why complain if no definitive action is taken? repeated 'knock it off' type commetns don't stop him, so what good is me complaining going to do if after all this time no one has actually slapped him with a warning for his prior behaviour?

and i'm not homophobic. it's his constant horn dog behavoiur i don't like which is worse than anything i've ever said. and i'd say that if there was someone doing it to all the women all the time.
captcalhoun wrote: View Post
he was making horn dog comments to Pop Boy only last week!
Nice job trying to deflect your own issues off on Shameless, who's not even in this thread to comment on this situation or to defend himself. Class move.

There's not a consistent history of men objectifying men en masse either on this board or in the outside world. There's not a consistent history of men being treated as second class citizens. There's not a consistent history of men living in fear of sexual assault and harassment to the degree women have. There's not a consistent history of threads exclusively about men's looks being started here. The two situations are not even remotely comparable.

Shameless is in the position of being able to be completely open and honest about who he is attracted to on this board in ways he and others might not be able to do elsewhere because of bigotry, violence, or the fear of rejection by friends or family. While he has sometimes been a little overzealous in expressing himself (and has been told to knock it off when that happens), I think that fact should buy him a little more leeway than the average straight man who doesn't face those restrictions gets for making lecherous remarks.

The mods have consistently addressed Shameless' remarks when they've crossed the line both publicly in the picture thread and elsewhere, privately via PM, and through infractions when necessary, just as we've done with straight posters making inappropriate remarks toward women who post pictures, as you should well know having been the subject of several such admonitions yourself, since we're calling people out by name here. Whether you'd like to believe it or not, Shameless has been much improved in his behavior as of late. Can you say the same with your recent Facebook debacle and subsequent posts in the Misc. picture thread which completely missed the point of why you were defriended in the first place? So, please don't make claims you can't back up.

The recent situation with Pop Boy is not really comparable either since from what I saw it was mutual flirting which never crossed the line into being inappropriate.

I totes disagree with your assertion that your comments are far less offensive than what Shameless says. On the contrary, Shameless' remarks are usually more positive and flirty rather than crass and demeaning like yours can be.

Also, like the others have said, if you ever substitute "totes" for "totally" again, I'm sending Toht to deal with you with his coat-hanger of doom.



Now... what shall we talk about?
__________________
My name is Ozymandias, king of kings: Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away.
Locutus of Bored is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
comic con, jessica nigri

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:21 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.