RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,708
Members: 24,208
Currently online: 866
Newest member: Robert james

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old July 20 2012, 11:07 PM   #1
JiNX-01
Admiral

View JiNX-01's Twitter Profile
ENTER: TV/Media AV CONTEST: I Hate That Character

Enter characters you can't stand. And feel free to give us a rant on why you despise him/her/it.

Per usual policy no SF&F.

Now I have to go cook up an entry. I didn't exactly plan ahead.
-- Mahatma Gandhi --
JiNX-01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21 2012, 12:39 AM   #2
Kai "the spy"
Commodore

Re: ENTER: TV/Media AV CONTEST: I Hate That Character

Ally McBeal from the tv show of the same name.

While I loved the show, it was mainly because of the great supporting characters, mainly Peter MacNicol's John Cage. The main character herself was a total wreck and made watching almost unbearable from time to time (making the love the supporting characters had for her very unconvincing). She whines about how she never finds good men, but when she does she turns into a total nitpick.
For example, she fell for a homeless guy who had mental problems, but he basically recovered once they started dating, most possibly leading to him turning his life around, and she dumps him because, basically, he's a homeless guy with mental problems. Or when she met this judge who turned out to be a fantastic guy, but he's bisexual, and even though he's one for monogamous relationships, that's reason enough to dump him. And let's not start with the ruining of weddings and how she occasionally turns into a delusional and violent psychopath.

But, after all, she's a competent lawyer.

Sometimes.

Occasionally.

Can't actually think of an example.

"Fanwankery is what 21st century pop entertainment's all about."
cooleddie74

Kai "the spy" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21 2012, 01:56 AM   #3
auntiehill
Fleet Admiral

The entire cast of Sex and The City. As a woman, I find it sickening that other women find this drivel anything but insulting. These are vapid, mean-spirited, selfish, arrogant, childish characters. There is nothing admirable in these characters and to have anyone hold them up as something for women to aspire to is just appalling.
Old July 21 2012, 02:26 AM   #4
Ar-Pharazon
Rear Admiral

I can't think of one I hate right now, how about a character that's hated by the other characters on a show?

Ar-Pharazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21 2012, 02:50 AM   #5
Winged Victory
Captain

^Oooh. Mean, incompetent, and hated by the whole camp. He's got my vote!
Old July 21 2012, 03:00 AM   #6
JiNX-01
Admiral

I can't stand this jerk. He's conceited, he sexually harasses co-workers, bullies colleagues, kisses up to the bosses, horns in on taking credit for other people's work, behaves irresponsibly. UGH.
-- Mahatma Gandhi --
Old July 21 2012, 03:18 AM   #7
Saga
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Saga Send a message via Yahoo to Saga

JiNX-01 wrote: View Post

I can't stand this jerk. He's conceited, he sexually harasses co-workers, bullies colleagues, kisses up to the bosses, horns in on taking credit for other people's work, behaves irresponsibly. UGH.
awww, i like DiNozzo.
Old July 21 2012, 03:32 AM   #8
auntiehill
Fleet Admiral

He's an ASS, a completely unbelievable character and I hate the show because of him. Unfortunately, my father watches it over and over. But he has Alzheimer's and can't really judge what's good and what's not---that must be how NCIS gets such a reliable audience week after week. They can't remember how bad it is.
Old July 21 2012, 04:02 AM   #9
JiNX-01
Admiral

auntiehill wrote: View Post

He's an ASS, a completely unbelievable character and I hate the show because of him. Unfortunately, my father watches it over and over. But he has Alzheimer's and can't really judge what's good and what's not---that must be how NCIS gets such a reliable audience week after week. They can't remember how bad it is.
I love NCIS, mainly because of Mark Harmon and David McCallum. I also like Sean Murray who plays McGee, mainly because McGee is a geek and I can totally identify with that.

P.S.: I don't have Alzheimer's.
-- Mahatma Gandhi --
Old July 21 2012, 04:10 AM   #10
Winged Victory
Captain

Nellie Oleson from Little House on the Prairie: Mean, rich, spoiled little brat. Mrs. Oleson and Willie were just as bad! And she always bullied Laura and Mary. I hated her!
Old July 21 2012, 08:54 AM   #11
Zion Ravescene
''You brought me here...''

Chris "Finchy" Finch from the original The Office. Arrogant, crude, sexist, and always seeking the upper hand, and yet David Brent can't help but want to be his friend and back him up. The moment when David finally stood up and told him off at the end of the series is one of the greatest moments in the show.

Zion Ravescene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21 2012, 09:49 AM   #12
Aragorn
Admiral

Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21 2012, 10:56 AM   #13
Lonemagpie
Writer

Enter characters you can't stand. And feel free to give us a rant on why you despise him/her/it.

Per usual policy no SF&F.
Which is a relief, as otherwise it'd be a tie between Pestly and Jar Jar...

Blog- http://lonemagpie.livejournal.com
Lonemagpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21 2012, 02:26 PM   #14
Shurik
Fleet Captain

Nina Myers from 24. She's a traitor and she murdered Jack's wife. Her death was one of the most awesome scenes on the show.

Last edited by Shurik; July 21 2012 at 02:50 PM.
Shurik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21 2012, 02:56 PM   #15
DevilEyes
Rear Admiral

View DevilEyes's Twitter Profile

Kai "the spy" wrote: View Post

Ally McBeal from the tv show of the same name.
auntiehill wrote: View Post
The entire cast of Sex and The City. As a woman, I find it sickening that other women find this drivel anything but insulting. These are vapid, mean-spirited, selfish, arrogant, childish characters. There is nothing admirable in these characters and to have anyone hold them up as something for women to aspire to is just appalling.
You both have votes from me!

It's characters like these I hate the most - the ones that we're supposed to like and the writers never seem to realize how annoying they are. Unlike characters like Finchy, who you were supposed to hate.

The only other protagonist I hated as much as those was:

The title character of Felicity. I can love characters who do awful things - some of my favorite characters are villains and murderers - but I can't stand characters like this. She's possibly the worst protagonist ever - weak, whiny, dull, self-obsessed, and a stalker. And, again, it's not that she was a stalker or that did selfish things like screwing over her best friend and stealing her boyfriend - some of my favorite characters have stalked or been selfish or done worse - it's that the show never called her out on anything and constantly treated her as this poor little victim we're supposed to sympathize with because she's insecure. Her stalking of Ben was shown as this romantic vulnerable teenage girly thing, but then she never gets to grow up and realize how stupid it was to obsess over a guy she didn't even know - nope, it turned out Ben was really her twu wuv all along or something. Ugh, I don't even know why I kept watching that show, it was like a trainwreck. I don't know if I hate her or the show itself as much, I think both.

my Buffy/Angel rewatch
DevilEyes is offline   Reply With Quote