Sci-Fried To Release New Album
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Star Trek/Planet of the Apes Crossover

Star Trek into Darkness Soundtrack

Horse 1, Shatner 0

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old July 24 2012, 08:28 PM   #76
JayOwl
Vice Admiral

View JayOwl's Twitter Profile
Re: General Music Thread

Mm.. I could pick out a large chunk there that I understood, so that's always good.

Another thing is, and now I'm getting mean, anyone without any talents can buy a digital synth, find a preset and make a noise, you've got everything at hand, if not, go online and you'll find a patch for a sound you want, result is that eveything will sound alike, in the late 80's the Yamaha DX7 came out and it was WAY more affordable than anything else, everyone and their grandma used the bloody thing so every house song from that era sounds about the same because in 99.99% of the time they were using that synth.
Ah, this issue. Digital ones can be used creatively though, even though there is the ability to make it overproduced and samey. For example, someone could get an autotuning device and pump out loads of samey songs... or they could use the autotune at oppertune moments in the song to add a few nice effects here and there. If they're talentless, believe me, it shows.
JayOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24 2012, 08:43 PM   #77
Santaman
Rear Admiral

Oh, agreed, if used by people who are passionate about music then using a digital synth or a emulator program isn't a bad thing, a lot of dance/trance musicians make great stuff with them, I guess I am waiting for the next Jarre..
Old July 24 2012, 10:41 PM   #78
JayOwl
Vice Admiral

Do a bit of searching, you might find them.

But yes, it takes a lot to meet the same expectations of someone who's one of your favorite artists.
Old July 25 2012, 08:08 PM   #79
Santaman
Rear Admiral

I've found a few people here and there who are really good, I could post a few examples if you like.

As for Jarre, there won't be a successor, he is the rarest kind of modern era musician, he is not only a great composer but the guy literally knows every synthesiser he ever used by heart also, the collection of synths he has is one of a kind, he owns a few of the rarest synths and even some unique equipment that no one else has.
Old July 26 2012, 12:31 AM   #80
JayOwl
Vice Admiral

Ah, I see. He might pass it all on to someone though. There is a vast amount of talent out there. Still, he is one of a kind.
Santaman wrote:
I've found a few people here and there who are really good, I could post a few examples if you like.
Yes, that'd be great!

In other news, I'm planning to order a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSrMU0R9KoU plus an AT2035 Microphone along with a software package called Ableton Live Intro. The quality you get with those things is really nice, I've tried them. I can finally start recording properly! Just a month or so and I'll have them all.
Once I'm happy with it... I guess I could upload myself singing. Not for another couple of months at least, but I will get it done. Once I've done a few covers I might even try a bit of writing.
Old July 26 2012, 06:20 AM   #81
Ar-Pharazon
Rear Admiral

Adrian Vandenberg being sued by band-mates from the 80' over the name "Vandenberg".

Story

Former Whitesnake guitarist Adrian Vandenberg has revealed that he is being sued by his former Vandenberg bandmates over the use of his surname. After the initial claim by Bert Heerink, Dick Kemper and Jos Zoomer was dismissed by a judge, the musicians are now trying to take control of the Vandenberg name through a trademark office.
Didn't something like this happen to Don Dokken? Also, not one person would've ever heard of these other guys if they hadn't been in Adrian's band.
Ar-Pharazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26 2012, 09:38 AM   #82
Pingfah
Admiral

JayOwl wrote: View Post

In other news, I'm planning to order a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSrMU0R9KoU plus an AT2035 Microphone along with a software package called Ableton Live Intro. The quality you get with those things is really nice, I've tried them. I can finally start recording properly! Just a month or so and I'll have them all.
Once I'm happy with it... I guess I could upload myself singing. Not for another couple of months at least, but I will get it done. Once I've done a few covers I might even try a bit of writing.
I use Ableton Live, it really is superb. Everything is laid out so well, you can get the hang of it fairly easily. The thing I had the most trouble with was setting all the levels correctly to avoid any distortion, still not got that perfect.

I don't know anything about the interface, but it looks nice. I use an internal M-Audio soundcard with a breakout box for live recording, but I am thinking about going for something all external like that myself. Do you know if it has Phantom Power?
Old July 26 2012, 10:55 AM   #83
TayLaLaLa
Fleet Captain

I love her...

Rita Ora - RIP (ft. Tinie Tempah)

TayLaLaLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26 2012, 11:21 AM   #84
JayOwl
Vice Admiral

Pingfah wrote: View Post
I use Ableton Live, it really is superb. Everything is laid out so well, you can get the hang of it fairly easily. The thing I had the most trouble with was setting all the levels correctly to avoid any distortion, still not got that perfect.

I don't know anything about the interface, but it looks nice. I use an internal M-Audio soundcard with a breakout box for live recording, but I am thinking about going for something all external like that myself. Do you know if it has Phantom Power?
Good! I was recommended Ableton by my cousin, and he's used this a lot. He's an excellent singer and musician. I saw him using it and apparently you can spend hours trying to get the levels right. Honestly, I have no idea what Phantom Power is, but I do know that the sound that goes through it comes out crystal clear.
Old July 26 2012, 11:39 AM   #85
Pingfah
Admiral

Phantom power is a power supply that comes from the amp or soundcard that powers mics which have active circuitry. Typically a stage mic like an SM58 for vocals won't have active circuitry so you don't need phantom power, but condensor mics like the AT2035 you are getting will usually require either a battery, or can draw power from a Phantom Power source.

I checked though, and your soundcard unit does have a Phantom Power supply, so you should be all set. It looks like a nice piece of kit actually, and quite a reasonable price too!
Old July 26 2012, 07:12 PM   #86
JayOwl
Vice Admiral

Thanks, I didn't know that. Good thing it does have Phantom then.
I'll order them in about 10 days because I'm away (still with internet mind you) for just over a week, so when I get back. It is a nice piece of kit, yes! I recorded a cover using all the same equipment that I'm going to get. The sound was really nice but I was off key because I couldn't hear myself with headphones. When I get it all and try again maybe I'll have one ear off. In a month this will be what fills my free time.
Old July 26 2012, 09:01 PM   #87
Santaman
Rear Admiral

Ah, I see. He might pass it all on to someone though. There is a vast amount of talent out there. Still, he is one of a kind.
Santaman wrote:
Yes, that'd be great!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dnfub...eature=related

This guy's work is really good IMO, wouldn't be bad as a SF chase scene soundtrack or so, nice buildup, layering, complexity and a great "feel"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXqPYte8tvc
Before I forget, not a synth guy but a guitar guy, quite fast this one plays.. oO
Old July 26 2012, 11:00 PM   #88
JayOwl
Vice Admiral

Damn, I typed out a post then it killed it. Anyway, I'll try putting the same things:

Within the first few seconds of Tune Of Soul, I was thinking "wow". I love this, it's a bit like Port Blue and that's great! I might buy that one actually. And yes, the guy on the second one is one of the best guitar players I've seen. Wow he can move those fingers fast.

One more thing:

Adam is so Adorkable.
Old July 27 2012, 05:33 AM   #89
gblews
Rear Admiral

View gblews's Twitter Profile

Eno wrote: View Post
Here is a lovely piece for drumset written by the great Max Roach. A young student of mine is seen performing it for the first time here. We had spent time going through it and here is his first pass. He is way better now of course. If you listen carefully I can be heard turning pages.
The drum also waltzes, by Max Roach.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9Edm...e_gdata_player
Very nice. Eleven years old...I think I was still trying to learn a C chord on guitar at that age.

I was a big Clifford Brown fan years ago. I got into some of his albums with Max Roach. Two supremely talented guys. Still makes me sad to think about Clifford sometimes, but then I could say that about so many of the old time jazz greats.

Good luck to your young student.
gblews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27 2012, 08:08 AM   #90
PKTrekGirl
Arrogant Niner Thug

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to PKTrekGirl

Pingfah wrote: View Post
Zion Ravescene wrote: View Post

Incidentally, I posted this in our Lounge this evening: find out what your music stereotype is...

http://labs.echonest.com/stereotypes/
That is completely stupid.

I put Queen, Ry Cooder, Stone Temple Pilots, Bjork, The Cult and Janelle Monae, and it says I am a True Grunger

Because I put STP presumably, who aren't even a grunge band. Certainly none of the others are.
Just saw this thread and tried this tonight...mostly because I was curious as to how someone whose favorite band is Queen ended up with a Grunger stereotype.

Unsurprisingly, I was also labeled a True Grunger...although in my case, it happens to be pretty accurate. However, the bands that I typed in to get that label were:

Pearl Jam (duh!)
Avenged Sevenfold
Bruce Springsteen
Alice in Chains
Shinedown
Dire Straits
The Police
Korn
Alter Bridge

Kind of tried to put in a representative sample.

Two of these are decidedly grunge bands (Pearl Jam and Alice in Chains), but the presence of Springsteen, Dire Straits and The Police might just as well have suggested I was mainly a classic rock fan...and the rest might suggest I am more of a current hard rock/metal fan.

My verdict: it got it right in my case...but not really because of what I actually typed in the box.

Odd little exercise.

BTW, am sorry to hear that the Queen remastered vinyls did not come out well. Is that an opinion that is held by a lot of others who purchased them? It's really too bad - Queen deserves much more than that.....

Star Trek XI - "You know, if you have ten extra sombreros lying around, I have an idea on how to improve your current avatar..." - Samuel T. Cogley
PKTrekGirl is offline   Reply With Quote