New Star Trek Funko Pop! Vinyl Figures
By: T'Bonz on Nov 26

QMx Mini Phaser Ornament

Stewart as Neo-Nazi Skinhead

Klingon Bloodwine To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Enterprise

Enterprise The final frontier has a new beginning in this forum!

Old June 29 2012, 03:00 AM   #1
Gaith
Rear Admiral

Why can't we have a few potted trees in the mess hall?!

This bugged me on Voyager, too, though at least they had their dinky little planter boxes in Cargo Bay 2, depending on whatever else the writers were doing with that space at the time. And the holodeck could always give the crew nature time of a sort. But, I digress.

Couldn't we have had at least a few plants somewhere on the show apart from Phlox's cages? A Vulcan shrub in T'Pol's quarters, a tomato plant in Archer's, something? Must all spaces have been as sterile as the stupid Zion we got in the Matrix sequels?

If nothing else, a potted bit of flora in the corner of a frame, especially in the mess hall, could have given the show's look a bit of cheap and easy flair.
Gaith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 29 2012, 03:11 AM   #2
horatio83
Commodore

Re: Why can't we have a few potted trees in the mess hall?!

I do not recall any plants in the mess hall or quarters in any other Trek show so I fail to understand why this criticism is narrowed down to the very Trek ship with the highest premium on space. It's a sub, not a pleasure cruiser.
Old June 29 2012, 03:46 AM   #3
I am Surak
Captain

I am with Gaith on this. Plants add something to an environment that is hard to describe but I believe they are the yang to our ying.
Especially T'Pol coming from a hostile planet like vulcan should treasure plant life.
Maybe I am just an old hippy at heart but being in tune with nature is a good thing.
I am Surak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29 2012, 04:20 AM   #4
SchwEnt
Fleet Captain

I suppose a few plants were possible, but impractical.

Of all ST ships, you ask of the one that is LEAST likely to be able to support such amenities?

Just look at the interior design of the ship.. far more akin to a submarine or naval vessel of today. And I haven't seen potted trees aboard cruisers or carriers or submarines.

I guess naval vessels of today could have potted trees for the crew's enjoyment, but they do not. And I'd think the reasons they don't would be the same reasons the NX-01 doesn't, either.

Oh yeah... we are talking in-universe here, right?
Or is this about displeasure with the aesthetics of the show's production design?
SchwEnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29 2012, 04:35 AM   #5
I am Surak
Captain

I love the production design. The sets in ENT are the best of any trek and the ship to me looks real.
I am Surak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29 2012, 06:12 AM   #6
teacake
Fleet Admiral

Location: Google's ass cave full of the lush, lush asses they have stolen.

SchwEnt wrote: View Post

I guess naval vessels of today could have potted trees for the crew's enjoyment, but they do not. And I'd think the reasons they don't would be the same reasons the NX-01 doesn't, either.
Good point. Also do we really want Porthos pissing on potted plants?

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 29 2012, 07:01 AM   #7
Mr_Homn
Captain

horatio83 wrote: View Post
I do not recall any plants in the mess hall or quarters in any other Trek show...
I will refresh your memory:

I do agree that the lack of plants seems fitting for the NX-01 for reasons already stated in this thread. A couple of leaves here and there couldn't have hurt, though.
Old June 29 2012, 07:10 AM   #8
teacake
Fleet Admiral

Location: Google's ass cave full of the lush, lush asses they have stolen.

Yeah they could have dressed Trip in just leaves for one episode. That would have increased the oxygen in the room.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 29 2012, 12:01 PM   #9
jespah
Commodore

View jespah's Twitter Profile

They have a Chef and cook real food. Perhaps the vegetables are grown hydroponically. I'd have liked to have seen a Botanist (in TNG, Keiko was a Botanist, so they're canonish).
Artist formerly known as jespah.
jespah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29 2012, 03:31 PM   #10
RandyS
Vice Admiral

View RandyS's Twitter Profile

I do not recall any plants in the mess hall or quarters in any other Trek show so I fail to understand why this criticism is narrowed down to the very Trek ship with the highest premium on space. It's a sub, not a pleasure cruiser.
Look at the backgrounds more. TOS, TNG, DS9, and (I think, but I'm not sure) VOYAGER all had them.
RandyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29 2012, 03:34 PM   #11
horatio83
Commodore

I wouldn't keep any flowers in my quarters. After every red alert you need at least a new pot.
Old June 29 2012, 03:57 PM   #12
Gaith
Rear Admiral

Hot dang, Mr. Homn really broke out the research!

That's the standard in-universe answer, sure, but I'm not entirely convinced. For one, subs are combat vessels, and ENT goes out of its way to show the ship as being not very military, down to leaving the Sol System and getting in numerous scrapes without so much as a developed "battle stations" protocol. Moreover, there are good reasons for subs being so cramped (stealth, speed vs. water displacement) that simply don't apply in the enormous vacuum of space.

I do agree that the other shows would have done well to have had many more plants/indoor gardens and the like, especially Voyager, with its freedom to deviate from strict Starfleet regs, but particularly given how trendy "organic" and "green" stuff has become in the past few years, I would've liked to have seen even a fairly small, cramped greenhouse-like space for a few crewmen to relax and shoot the breeze in.
Old June 29 2012, 04:39 PM   #13
horatio83
Commodore

It's the first deep space ship and it's cramped because the thing is friggin' expensive. You really want the first human spaceship to look like the D with 40 m² quarters and pleasure gardens all over the place?
Not to mention that taking a part of home with you would have taken all the juice out of such scenes.
Old June 29 2012, 07:48 PM   #14
Gaith
Rear Admiral

Not sure how this...
Gaith wrote: View Post
I would've liked to have seen even a fairly small, cramped greenhouse-like space
... got interpreted as this:
You really want the first human spaceship to look like the D with 40 m² quarters and pleasure gardens all over the place
Old June 30 2012, 05:54 AM   #15
R. Star
Rear Admiral

As mentioned all the later Trek series had some flowers and stuff in the background. In public areas, no. In quaters do what you want.

Really though the arguements about space being at a premium fail in the face of Archer bringing his dang dog into space. Even Janeway knew better than this and she was a dog fanatic.