TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old July 13 2012, 08:43 PM   #76
Butters
Captain

Re: 50TH Anniversary rumor

Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
Shazam! wrote: View Post
Personally, I'd go with a Trials and Tribble-ations / Back to the Future Part II style insertion of the current Doctor into past Doctor adventures.
For technical reasons that won't work. The video resolution of the old series would look like crap at high-def, especially when they digitally edited the eleventh Doctor into the proceedings.
The Cushing movies were shot on film...

TBH I'd settle for a few good scene in the classic console room.
Butters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13 2012, 10:00 PM   #77
Lonemagpie
Writer

Remaking one of the missing stories would work for me also... Or animating one

Blog- http://lonemagpie.livejournal.com
Lonemagpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14 2012, 12:39 AM   #78
The Borgified Corpse
Admiral

Location: Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down there 20 minutes ago.

The Mirrorball Man wrote: View Post
I hope they do a multi-Doctor story, and I hope they do it as a comedy. No Time War, no Omega, no villain who threatens to destroy the universe. That kind of thing can only work if it's done with tongue firmly planted in cheek.
I suddenly had another idea: A comic relief special where the Doctor finds himself at some kind of crossroads where he doesn't know what to do, so he goes inside his own mind to ask advice from his previous incarnations.

JRoss wrote: View Post
Can't imagine Cumberbatch would age into Hartnell. How about Tom Hiddleston sporting his Loki hair?
To be slightly more realistic, I'm thinking Harry Treadaway or Douglas Booth.
Harry Treadaway I could see. However, I don't think that Douglas Booth has the right look. I also thought he was awful in that recent version of Great Expectations.

Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
Shazam! wrote: View Post
Personally, I'd go with a Trials and Tribble-ations / Back to the Future Part II style insertion of the current Doctor into past Doctor adventures.
For technical reasons that won't work. The video resolution of the old series would look like crap at high-def, especially when they digitally edited the eleventh Doctor into the proceedings.
The video resolution of the old series does look like crap at hi-def. However, they could easily degrade the new Matt Smith footage to match. I even think this could be a good opening teaser: After a quick cold opener, the TARDIS begins to shudder and the 11th Doctor is knocked to the floor, unconscious. We see a close-up of the Doctor as he and all of his surroundings turn into a low-resolution, black & white haze, ominously leading into the opening credits. (The Doctor could even add some line later about how the temporal distortions make the images hazier the further back he goes in his own timeline.)

Or maybe they could just do a season of episodes that try to match the tone & style of old episodes. Like, they could do a pure historical to represent the Hartnell years, a scientific research station under siege story to represent the Troughton years (perhaps with the Cybermen), a UNIT story for Pertwee, something wacky for the Tom Baker years (perhaps while bringing back the Zygons or the Rutans), etc. (What would be a good style for representing Peter Davison or Colin Baker? All I can really remember from that era is the incessant screeching of Tegan & Peri.)

Another thing I'd like to see is a multi-Doctor special where the Doctor meets a future incarnation, like "The Next Doctor" but for real. Like, I imagine Matt Smith announcing that he wants to leave the show. They decide that his departure will be in the middle of the season instead of at the end. This way, they would have to cast the replacement somewhat in advance. Early in the season (like episode 1 or 3), they show the 11th Doctor meet the 12th Doctor. Then you'd have the regeneration sometime around episode 7. Then, after some other adventures, towards the end of the season, you see the multi-Doctor story again but this time from the 12th Doctor's perspective.
Old July 14 2012, 11:18 AM   #79
Candlelight
Admiral

The Borgified Corpse wrote: View Post
The video resolution of the old series does look like crap at hi-def.
Not... if you put the Doctor into a story like The Power of the Daleks for example and recreate the entire thing - with the original audio and animation to assist.
Old July 14 2012, 01:24 PM   #80
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile

I hope they do a multi-Doctor story, and I hope they do it as a comedy. No Time War, no Omega, no villain who threatens to destroy the universe. That kind of thing can only work if it's done with tongue firmly planted in cheek.
I suddenly had another idea: A comic relief special where the Doctor finds himself at some kind of crossroads where he doesn't know what to do, so he goes inside his own mind to ask advice from his previous incarnations.
Hmmm... That could work, but I guess only if you make it a crossover with a famous soap opera.
Old July 14 2012, 02:42 PM   #81
DWF
Vice Admiral

Another thing I'd like to see is a multi-Doctor special where the Doctor meets a future incarnation, like "The Next Doctor" but for real. Like, I imagine Matt Smith announcing that he wants to leave the show. They decide that his departure will be in the middle of the season instead of at the end. This way, they would have to cast the replacement somewhat in advance. Early in the season (like episode 1 or 3), they show the 11th Doctor meet the 12th Doctor. Then you'd have the regeneration sometime around episode 7. Then, after some other adventures, towards the end of the season, you see the multi-Doctor story again but this time from the 12th Doctor's perspective.
That's not going to happen, the tallk at the start of filming was that they were going to film for a year, filming two seasons and there's been no official talk of Matt Smith leaving the show.
--- Harlan Ellison, from his introduction
to the PINNACLE series of Doctor Who books
DWF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 16 2012, 06:13 PM   #82
MacLeod
Admiral

I suspect Matt Smith will leave sometime after the 50th Anniversary. Which will be almost 4 years in the role.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16 2012, 08:26 PM   #83
Mark_Nguyen
Commodore

Well, that's pretty much a given, no? The only question is WHEN.

Personally I hope he stays a full year after the 50th, or at least regenerate as a mid-season finale. I think the 50th anniversary is too special to be all about one Doctor changing into another while (probably) having some other Doctors to share the spotlight during his exit.

Mark

Oh, I like that Trek thing too...
Mark_Nguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17 2012, 05:19 PM   #84
Tom
Rear Admiral

They could have done a future incarnation story where something happens to the current Doctor at the end that makes it uncertain if he would regenerate into the future Doctor he had an adventure with. Like TNG's 'All Good Things", where they told us the future we saw may not happen like that after all.

Owner - TrekUnited.com - Forum now re-open! click here
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19 2012, 12:22 AM   #85
The Borgified Corpse
Admiral

Location: Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down there 20 minutes ago.

DWF wrote: View Post
That's not going to happen, the tallk at the start of filming was that they were going to film for a year, filming two seasons and there's been no official talk of Matt Smith leaving the show.
Don't get me wrong. I love Matt Smith and I don't want him to leave ever! (Of course, 5 years ago, I said the same thing about David Tennant. 3 years ago, not so much.) I'm just saying that, when he does leave, whenever that is, I think they should do it like that.
Old July 19 2012, 04:24 AM   #86
Brendan Moody
Vice Admiral

They're never going to muddle the publicity value of a new Doctor's first appearance by offhandedly sticking it in the middle of the previous Doctor's final lap; that would detract from the event feel of each.
Old July 19 2012, 04:57 AM   #87
Cutter John
Rear Admiral

Location: Beyond the wall of sleep, somewhere south of Seattle.

Butters wrote: View Post

TBH I'd settle for a few good scene in the classic console room.
This.

How about a story where Eleven somehome starts being drawn back through his own timeline, basically switching places briefly with each incarnation (with the old Doctors being pulled forward to the modern console room), not finding a solution until he arrives back at his beginning. Naturally the scenes with actors who've passed away would happen offscreen.

With some creative writing, it could explain that his companions suffer from the aging effect we saw in Time Crash.
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant."

Last edited by Cutter John; July 19 2012 at 07:51 AM.
Cutter John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19 2012, 05:10 AM   #88
Photoman15
Fleet Captain

Here's my idea... (not all thought out yet, but basic):
The TARDIS accidently goes to future at the point the universe has expended all it's energy (it is bounced back to an earlier time). This causes the start of the Big Crunch, only because the TARDIS was present, it is accelerated. Multiple universes are combining, including universes where 4 didn't "die" when he did in ours (explains Tom Baker's age) and (whatever doctors are returning didn't "die" and regen when they did in our universe). Any companions can be brought back with the same explanation. I'll hold my solution to myself for now.... just in case SM hears of this and wants to make me an offer
Old July 19 2012, 05:49 AM   #89
Ar-Pharazon
Rear Admiral

^^^ Both really good ideas, though Photoman15's sounds a little like something DC would/did do in one or more of the Crisis storylines

I once posted something like, if the TARDIS had the flu and kept changing console rooms or generally rearranging itself in it's fever state, at least we could see some of the old ones.

I'd love to see #4's Victorian console room in the episode where Matt & Jenna are dressed for that period. Maybe the TARDIS decides to dress up for the occasion too.
Ar-Pharazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19 2012, 06:35 AM   #90
Photoman15
Fleet Captain

Ar-Pharazon wrote: View Post
^^^ Both really good ideas, though Photoman15's sounds a little like something DC would/did do in one or more of the Crisis storylines

I once posted something like, if the TARDIS had the flu and kept changing console rooms or generally rearranging itself in it's fever state, at least we could see some of the old ones.

I'd love to see #4's Victorian console room in the episode where Matt & Jenna are dressed for that period. Maybe the TARDIS decides to dress up for the occasion too.
Funny thing is I never read the DC Crisis stuff. I came up with mine because when my 3 year old niece was little I used to ask her:
"At the end of the universe, when it expends all its energy and starts collapsing into a singularity known as the Big Crunch, will time go backward or forward?"

And she would make me repeat it everytime I saw her. The othe day she asked me if I remembered the question and to post it on her facebook. (She's 23 now). That's how I came up with my premise.