To Be Takei Review by Spencer Blohm
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Mulgrew: Playing Red

Hallmark 2015 Trek Ornaments

Funko Mini Spock
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old July 12 2012, 09:39 PM   #61
DWF
Vice Admiral

Re: 50TH Anniversary rumor

Tom wrote: View Post
Rather than a multi-doctor story, for the 50th anniversary maybe they should just have the story of how a younger first doctor left gallify etc..
I'm sure Gallifrey will get a mention but I'd rather they not tell that story. It would have to include Susan, The Hand Of Omega and the validium that would complicate matters.
--- Harlan Ellison, from his introduction
to the PINNACLE series of Doctor Who books
DWF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12 2012, 09:50 PM   #62
Shazam!
Rear Admiral

captcalhoun wrote: View Post
Emh wrote: View Post
Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
Yeah, I've been on pre-"Unearthly Child" bandwagon for fifteen months now.
Okay, maybe I haven't seen a number of people saying this rather I've just seen you saying this a number of times.
i've been suggesting it since at least season 4.
I've been suggesting it since 1876.
Shazam! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13 2012, 12:55 AM   #63
Tom
Rear Admiral

Ok, how about this:

A young first Doctor and young Master in there academy days, they go off on some grand adventure off world, during which it opens the Doctor eyes and makes him want to get out and explore the universe, and for the Master, something happens (besides the drums LOL) that sets him down his dark path..

This way we don't have to worry about Susan, the Hand of Omega and other stuff, and don't have to totally unravel the mystery of the Doctor.
Old July 13 2012, 01:24 AM   #64
Photoman15
Fleet Captain

There has to be the drums, but maybe not so loud as to be driving him mad yet. Maybe what makes the Doctor want to go explore brings the drums to the surface.
Old July 13 2012, 02:36 AM   #65
DWF
Vice Admiral

I think I would rather see them celebrate the series instead of giving us some story from before the series started. One of the things that made Rememberance Of The Daleks so great was the little easter egg references to series overthe years.
--- Harlan Ellison, from his introduction
to the PINNACLE series of Doctor Who books
DWF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13 2012, 08:54 AM   #66
Venardhi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Venardhi Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Venardhi

Ok, how about this:

A young first Doctor and young Master in there academy days, they go off on some grand adventure off world, during which it opens the Doctor eyes and makes him want to get out and explore the universe, and for the Master, something happens (besides the drums LOL) that sets him down his dark path..

This way we don't have to worry about Susan, the Hand of Omega and other stuff, and don't have to totally unravel the mystery of the Doctor.
I just can't imagine them doing the special without the current Doctor in there.

First Doctor, Current Doctor & The Master during his initial decent into evil would make an interesting dynamic though. 11 avoids letting his former self know who he is but confronts & warns off The Master with the knowledge of his future deeds and failure who then figures out who 11 is, poisoning the friendship between the two Timelords. If you can work in the Daleks as the framing story you have the two most notable villains, which seems perfect for such a special.
"There is no reason why good cannot triumph as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they are organized along the lines of the Maffia." - Winston Niles Rumfoord.
Venardhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13 2012, 01:49 PM   #67
JRoss
Captain

Can't imagine Cumberbatch would age into Hartnell. How about Tom Hiddleston sporting his Loki hair?
Old July 13 2012, 02:42 PM   #68
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile

JRoss wrote: View Post
Can't imagine Cumberbatch would age into Hartnell. How about Tom Hiddleston sporting his Loki hair?
To be slightly more realistic, I'm thinking Harry Treadaway or Douglas Booth.
Old July 13 2012, 03:04 PM   #69
Tom
Rear Admiral

Venardhi wrote: View Post
Ok, how about this:

I just can't imagine them doing the special without the current Doctor in there.

First Doctor, Current Doctor & The Master during his initial decent into evil would make an interesting dynamic though. 11 avoids letting his former self know who he is but confronts & warns off The Master with the knowledge of his future deeds and failure who then figures out who 11 is, poisoning the friendship between the two Timelords. If you can work in the Daleks as the framing story you have the two most notable villains, which seems perfect for such a special.
Good Idea, perhaps the first Doctor is inspired by 11 (not knowing who he is) to explore the universe, so essentially the Doctor inspired himself to leave Gallifry LOL
Old July 13 2012, 03:41 PM   #70
Shazam!
Rear Admiral

A young Doctor origin story is something I'm not that interested in, TBH.

Personally, I'd go with a Trials and Tribble-ations / Back to the Future Part II style insertion of the current Doctor into past Doctor adventures.
Old July 13 2012, 04:05 PM   #71
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

Shazam! wrote: View Post
Personally, I'd go with a Trials and Tribble-ations / Back to the Future Part II style insertion of the current Doctor into past Doctor adventures.
For technical reasons that won't work. The video resolution of the old series would look like crap at high-def, especially when they digitally edited the eleventh Doctor into the proceedings.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 13 2012, 04:52 PM   #72
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral

For the anniversary special, they pretty much have to include a past Doctor. I also love the idea of past companions, and that too is pretty much a requirement! If they don't do it for the 50th, the pretty much won't do it.

I'm hoping that this Tom Baker rumor is true!

I love the idea of including a young Hartnell Doctor. If Cumberbatch portrays him, that's too perfect!

Mr Awe
Mr Awe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13 2012, 05:45 PM   #73
Shazam!
Rear Admiral

Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
Shazam! wrote: View Post
For technical reasons that won't work. The video resolution of the old series would look like crap at high-def, especially when they digitally edited the eleventh Doctor into the proceedings.
Yeah, that's what I thought. I know Spearhead From Space and the TV Movie were shot on film so they could use those but they're not the greatest choices.
Old July 13 2012, 07:50 PM   #74
Aldo
Admiral

I'm easy to please. I'll sett for McCoy with Ace. Perhaps Eleven could do what the Doctor is never supposed to do and reenter his own past, and run into Seven with Ace, while they are out on some adventure.

Of course that would please me, but it might not do much for those Who fans who didn't think much of McCoy (and I know there are a few).
Old July 13 2012, 08:31 PM   #75
Sindatur
Rear Admiral

Aldo wrote: View Post
I'm easy to please. I'll sett for McCoy with Ace. Perhaps Eleven could do what the Doctor is never supposed to do and reenter his own past, and run into Seven with Ace, while they are out on some adventure.

Of course that would please me, but it might not do much for those Who fans who didn't think much of McCoy (and I know there are a few).
Yea, I really like McCoy's sinister manipulative portrayal, but, he is just barely behind Colin Baker in favoritism, I believe.

I like all the Doctors, personally, it's a shame a couple/few of them are so unpopular

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote