Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Takei Has Growth Removed

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old July 11 2012, 10:04 PM   #16
Christopher
Writer

Re: James Blish

Knight Templar wrote: View Post
Like in "The Terratin Incident" he provides a plausible explanation as to why the uniforms of the crew shrinks along with them.
No, that was in the original episode. In fact, it was an important plot point, because it helped them figure out what was happening:

http://www.chakoteya.net/StarTrek/TAS015.htm
SPOCK: Miss Chapel, what is the composition of this decoration?
CHAPEL: It was made for me by the titanium smiths of Libra, but it was an arm bracelet. More like a necklace now.
SPOCK: Yet the uniform on which you wear it fits as well as ever. Uniform made of algae-based xenylon, I believe.
MCCOY: Aren't all our uniforms xenylon?
KIRK: Yes, and they've all been shrinking proportionately with us.
SPOCK: This coral decoration for the aquarium is also shrinking. yet the meteoritic rock in there is unchanged.
MCCOY: That means only organic matter is affected. But how?
SPOCK: The wave tends to wind tight such spiral molecules as dilithium. There is one other molecular structure
KIRK: Of course, the double helix of DNA, nucleus of every cell in our bodies.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12 2012, 06:26 AM   #17
RonG
Captain

View RonG's Twitter Profile Send a message via Yahoo to RonG

I only read a couple of the TOS adaptations (the one with The Menagerie and Blish's preface, and the one with The City on the Edge of Forever), but I got Spock Must Die! a couple of years ago, and found it a nice setting-changing book, and a unique window into the past and a "Might-have-Been" direction for TrekLit.
Old July 12 2012, 04:40 PM   #18
hbquikcomjamesl
Commander

The first Star Trek book I ever read was Blish's ST9.

In general, his adaptations were condensed, rather than expanded, and the early ones far more than the later ones, just as he took far more liberties (and had less-developed scripts, and hadn't actually seen the series!) in the early ones than the later ones.

Foster (whose original fiction tends towards beautifully rich descriptive language; I highly recommend his Humanx Commonwealth and Spellsinger series) took the opposite approach, greatly expanding on scripts, and addressing logical holes that most viewers never noticed in the actual episodes.
hbquikcomjamesl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12 2012, 05:01 PM   #19
Silvercrest
Rear Admiral

That's amusing, considering the number of holes in the Spellsinger books.
Silvercrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13 2012, 03:20 AM   #20
Patrick O'Brien
Captain

Blish never watched Star trek? Interesting, who chose him to write the books?
Old July 13 2012, 03:31 AM   #21
Christopher
Writer

Patrick O'Brien wrote: View Post
Blish never watched Star trek? Interesting, who chose him to write the books?
I don't think he never saw it; hbquikcomjamesl just meant he hadn't yet seen it at the time he did the first few volumes. After all, the first book came out in January 1967, just a few months after the show premiered, so he would've had to write it before the show premiered.

Much the same was the case with the earliest novel tie-ins to TNG, DS9, VGR, and ENT. They all had to be outlined, and in many cases written, before the shows premiered, so that they could be published reasonably soon after the premieres. And they ranged from debut novels like TNG: Ghost Ship -- which was based only on the writers' bible and the pilot script and is all but unrecognizable as TNG -- to DS9: The Siege -- which was based on the first five scripts and still holds up remarkably well in retrospect, aside from the retrospective continuity error of blowing up the indestructible Rio Grande.

I'm not sure who would've been responsible for picking Blish to write the books; I know Fredrik Pohl edited the original Bantam Trek novels, but I'm not sure he would've been responsible for the '60s episode adaptation volumes. But anyway, it's no surprise that they would've picked a famous, successful science fiction author to do the adaptations. After all, when they commissioned the first volume, the show wasn't on the air yet and it was an unknown commodity from a producer who didn't have much of a track record. They had no idea if it would amount to anything. So they brought in a big-name SF author to do it on the theory that his name would draw in the readers.

Old July 13 2012, 06:15 AM   #22
iarann
Lieutenant

Christopher wrote: View Post
I don't think he never saw it; hbquikcomjamesl just meant he hadn't yet seen it at the time he did the first few volumes. After all, the first book came out in January 1967, just a few months after the show premiered, so he would've had to write it before the show premiered.
It's also important to note that even when he did get a chance to see episodes, it's not like today where one could just record the episodes to review later to get a better impression of the setting and characters. I remember reading in Voyages of the Imagination a lot of authors would review episodes they recorded or DVDs over and over to get a feel for things so it would be as authentic as possible. James Blish did not have these luxuries, the best the studio could do was get him the final shooting scripts (which may or may not have been altered during filming causing some discrepancy) and visual guidelines. He did watch the show with his wife, but they didn't always have TV and they missed episodes. After he passed away, his wife was able to get access to screenings at the BBC and record the audio for the episodes, but she only had the Mudd episodes left at that point.
iarann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13 2012, 10:30 AM   #23
Patrick O'Brien
Captain

Thanks for the clarification Chris and Iarann. I'd like to read book one, just to see how it reads, compared to the episodes he could not have seen. Must be an interesting take on things?
Old July 13 2012, 02:38 PM   #24
Garrovick
Commander

Thanks for the clarification Chris and Iarann. I'd like to read book one, just to see how it reads, compared to the episodes he could not have seen. Must be an interesting take on things?
This thread got me curious, and I've been taking another look at my copies of the Blish volumes. Blish states in the preface to one of the later adaptations, I believe it was Star Trek 11 but it may have been Star Trek 12 (which his wife finished up and published after his passing) that he did alter the ending of one episode because he felt that the ending as aired just didn't work well on the printed page, but it was strictly a one-time thing. But he didn't specify which episode it was - my guess is The Doomsday Machine, but I don't know that for certain. But that episode reads quite differently than the aired version.
Garrovick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13 2012, 03:34 PM   #25
Stevil2001
Rear Admiral

A couple months ago, I read a blog(?) with a series of entries chronicling the major differences between the episodes and Blish's stories, but I'll be damned if I can find them now.
Old July 13 2012, 03:38 PM   #26
iarann
Lieutenant

Garrovick wrote: View Post
This thread got me curious, and I've been taking another look at my copies of the Blish volumes. Blish states in the preface to one of the later adaptations, I believe it was Star Trek 11 but it may have been Star Trek 12 (which his wife finished up and published after his passing) that he did alter the ending of one episode because he felt that the ending as aired just didn't work well on the printed page, but it was strictly a one-time thing. But he didn't specify which episode it was - my guess is The Doomsday Machine, but I don't know that for certain. But that episode reads quite differently than the aired version.
Hmm, I would have to look as well. I know that for the Menagerie he cut out the framing part of the plot and did a straight adaptation of the Cage, but that's the only deliberate change I remember because he said it didn't work well.
iarann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13 2012, 03:55 PM   #27
Christopher
Writer

I just used the first volume as an example. There are significant differences in the first several volumes. It wasn't until the later volumes in the '70s, when the show was airing constantly in syndicated reruns, that Blish and Lawrence were able to make their adaptations more exact. And as I said above, it's not just a factor of unfamiliarity; the attitude toward adaptations in the '60s and '70s was that it was perfectly okay for the adaptor to alter the story to fit his own style and preferences, that the goal was to use the original work as inspiration for a prose work that would be judged on its own independent merits. After all, in the '60s, people read more and watched TV less, or at least had far less guaranteed access to a given program, so for many readers, the prose version would be the only incarnation of the story they'd ever see. So the priority was to make it work as an effective short story in its own right, not to make it a faithful record of a TV episode.

People have talked about the changed ending of "The Doomsday Machine," but that's nothing compared to "Operation: Annihilate," which is in the second volume and is almost completely different from the final episode: Kirk's family isn't there, Aurelan is just a random Deneva native who coincidentally happens to be related to the guy who flew his ship into the sun, Spock is never blinded, it's magnetism rather than UV that kills the creatures, and the Enterprise backtracks the creatures to their system of origin to destroy them all.

Old July 13 2012, 09:23 PM   #28
Defcon
Rear Admiral

View Defcon's Twitter Profile

Steve Mollmann wrote: View Post
A couple months ago, I read a blog(?) with a series of entries chronicling the major differences between the episodes and Blish's stories, but I'll be damned if I can find them now.
http://nitcentral.philfarrand.com/di...tml?1215427409 ?
Defcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14 2012, 02:06 PM   #29
Patrick O'Brien
Captain

^Awesome, thanks for the link DEFCON

I would guess many people's first exposure to Star Trek could have been Blish's books? As Chris stated back in the late 60's and early 70's more people read than watched TV. Incidentally, did the books sell well?
Old July 14 2012, 02:22 PM   #30
Sho
Fleet Captain

We had a really lovely thread about everyone's first Trek book a while back: http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=156964

Yep, Blish's work was mentioned quite regularly in there.
Sho is offline   Reply With Quote