Trek Ice Cube Maker and Shot Glasses
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

City on the Edge of Forever #3 Preview

TV Alert: Shatner TNG Documentary

Forbes Cast In Powers
By: T'Bonz on Aug 22

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: How do you rate "The Dark Knight Rises"?
Excellent 147 58.33%
Good 61 24.21%
Fair 26 10.32%
Poor 12 4.76%
Terrible 6 2.38%
Voters: 252. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 21 2012, 03:03 AM   #106
Dick Whitman
Fleet Captain

Re: "The Dark Knight Rises" Review and Discussion Thread (spoilers)

One of my favorite things was the Batman statue. He will be remembered as a hero. After the last film, I was not expecting that. I can't remember in recent years any type of statue of Batman in comics or other media. That was common before The Dark Knight Returns.
Dick Whitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21 2012, 03:09 AM   #107
Crystalline Entity
Lieutenant

Very good movie, but having the story immediately begin 8 years in the future, with Batman literally having hung up his cape the moment the credits began in TDK, made the first hour very compressed as they had to relate everything that happened before (as it turns out, not much!) Once Bane is in Gotham and Batman is back on the prowl, the movie takes off and never relents.

Obviously this is impossible now, but if Nolan really wanted to start TDKR 8 years in the future after Batman has hung it up, another movie could (and perhaps should) have been done, with its ending being Bruce quitting Batman. It would have given more space to introduce Miranda Tate, make her a more compelling love interest, which would have made her turn in TDKR far more powerful. Introducing Kyle and Blake in a hypothetical third of four Nolan Batman movies would have been very enjoyable.

Bale was great as Bruce Wayne, as compelling as he was in Begins and much more so than in TDK. Surprised how much JGL there was, but he was superb (nothing beats his turn as Cobra Commander! ) Bane was a terrific villain, and that first fight was simply one of the best battles in any comic book movie. Unfortunately, his voice was somewhat all over the map in audibility, but he was truly terrifying, and most importantly in a completely different manner than Ledger's Joker. Hathawy was equally terrific as Selina Kyle, perhaps the best fighting/action chops of any actress in the superhero genre. And kudos for one more Scarecrow appearance!

My main complaint is that while the flashbacks were effective, I think there were too many, and again there was a lot of exposition (necessitated by the 8 year jump). But overall, a great time at the movies. Can't wait to see it again and again and again!
Crystalline Entity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21 2012, 03:11 AM   #108
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral

Has anyone seen JacksonArcher?
Old July 21 2012, 03:30 AM   #109
Admiral James Kirk
Writer

Rest assured, he likes it. That's not speculation, we're friends on Facebook.
Admiral James Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21 2012, 03:33 AM   #110
Dick Whitman
Fleet Captain

Ok. I thought he was following Bruce's lead. Disappearing and off in Italy with a hot criminal.
Old July 21 2012, 03:34 AM   #111
Admiral James Kirk
Writer

Hmmm, that's not a bad idea.
Admiral James Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21 2012, 03:43 AM   #112
sojourner
Admiral

Guys, regarding John Blake's destiny, I refer you to this article regarding the toyline:
http://screencrush.com/dark-knight-rises-toy-spoilers/

I am guessing there are deleted scenes that will reveal more.
Old July 21 2012, 04:04 AM   #113
Dick Whitman
Fleet Captain

There is a long tradition of Batman figures with costumes just made to sell more toys.
Old July 21 2012, 04:42 AM   #114
DarthPipes
Rear Admiral

I just got back from The Dark Knight Rises. Amazing and epic film, a worthy conclusion for the Nolan Batman trilogy.

SPOILERS!!!

-While he wasn't quite as good as the Joker, Tom Hardy was an excellent villain as Bane. He's come a long way since Shinzon 10 years ago. I thought they did a great job with the voice although it was difficult to hear what he was saying at times.

-I absolutely can't believe I didn't see the Miranda Tate twist coming. I knew that Rha'Ghul had a daughter and I completely didn't think that she could have been it.

-And speaking of which, I TOTALLY didn't see that twist coming. Excellent twist with the John Blake character. Joseph Gordon Levitt is another Nolan favorite from Inception and a damn good actor in his own right. It's nice to be surprised and I was twice with this film.

-I definitely appreciated the callbacks to the original film. I knew that Neeson made a cameo and was thrilled to see him. It was great seeing Crane again too...I really do appreciate that kind of continuity.

-I read a few weeks ago that Nolan decided to make no reference to the Joker due with his relationship with Ledger and not wanting to exploit a tradgedy. I get that although it felt really strange not to mention the Joker at all, to say that Harvey helped rid the city of him in the beginning and so on.

-I was leary about the Ann Hathaway casting at first but I can see my concerns were unfounded. She was a terrific Catwoman. Was Bruce with Selina at the end of the movie?

-Michael Caine F'n rocked it.

-I could have without all the Occupy Wall Street complaing some of the character spouted out during the film and I thought that Digger (was that his name?) character was ridiculous.
DarthPipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21 2012, 04:45 AM   #115
JRoss
Captain

I can't stop speaking in the Bane voice. I'm even typing in the Bane voice. Absolutely loved the film. I see according to the vote results that we have 3 trolls on the board.
Old July 21 2012, 04:51 AM   #116
JRoss
Captain

I was so happy to see the "twist." I called it the day they announced the casting of this film. Just as I called the "twist" in Begins when I found out Liam Neeson was in it.
Old July 21 2012, 04:58 AM   #117
sojourner
Admiral

Donald Draper wrote: View Post
There is a long tradition of Batman figures with costumes just made to sell more toys.
Yeah, but that one is a bit spot on for the Batman Beyond costume. I am betting there is an edited version of Blake's final scene that runs a bit longer to reveal a suit.
Old July 21 2012, 05:02 AM   #118
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to doubleohfive

JRoss wrote: View Post
I was so happy to see the "twist." I called it the day they announced the casting of this film. Just as I called the "twist" in Begins when I found out Liam Neeson was in it.

Old July 21 2012, 05:19 AM   #119
Dick Whitman
Fleet Captain

Looking online the football team was called the Gotham City Rogues. They made yellow and black jackets and hoodies for the film. All have a yellow R on the right side of the chest. Did Blake where anything like this in the film? Under a regular jacket. Missed oppurnety for the scene when he finds the cave.
Old July 21 2012, 07:43 AM   #120
Aldo
Admiral

JRoss wrote: View Post
I can't stop speaking in the Bane voice. I'm even typing in the Bane voice. Absolutely loved the film. I see according to the vote results that we have 3 trolls on the board.
Thanks to you I just read this post in the Bane voice!