RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,665
Members: 24,816
Currently online: 479
Newest member: CapSmith

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: How do you rate "The Dark Knight Rises"?
Excellent 147 58.33%
Good 61 24.21%
Fair 26 10.32%
Poor 12 4.76%
Terrible 6 2.38%
Voters: 252. You may not vote on this poll

Old December 29 2012, 06:46 PM   #1141
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

Re: "The Dark Knight Rises" Review and Discussion Thread (spoilers)

stj wrote: View Post
something like not bothering to explain why Blake was hanging around an orphanage.
???

Trekker4747 wrote:
As I recall, the American people were VERY upset with what happened with Katrina.
So let's assume for the sake of argument that the American people were VERY upset with what happened to Gotham.

So what?

Trekker4747 wrote:
We just know that "somehow" Bane got explosives all over the city
Somehow is Daggett.

Last edited by Set Harth; December 29 2012 at 06:57 PM.
Set Harth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29 2012, 07:13 PM   #1142
stj
Rear Admiral

^^^Robin/Blake confronts Wayne at one point about the funding for the orphanage. He also took them gasoline for an evacuation and, sure enough, tried to get the orphanage bus out first. We know the orphans and priest who (singlehandedly?) runs it are important to him. We find that it is because he was an orphan himself. Suppose they had never bothered to explain that? Blake is a male character so most movies would consider him more important to flesh out, whereas Selina Kyle is not so much a character as a wet dream, but still: Everything Robin/Blake does with the orphans is pretty much irrelevant except for his personal relationship. These scenes are a waste otherwise.

Selina Kyle's sister/girlfriend/mini-me is also on-screen and her importance lies in her undisclosed relationship to Kyle. My guess is that is what deliberately left ambiguous to allow lesbian chic/ fellow prostitute rolling the johns interpretations. Whozis' scenes dramatically are a waste otherwise.
Old December 29 2012, 09:57 PM   #1143
GalaxyX
Rear Admiral

The Mirrorball Man wrote: View Post
JarodRussell wrote: View Post
It's Batman. He also didn't carry the nuke out of Gotham on his back, he used his Batplane. Beating a villain with gadgets is Batman. Having the humility to recognize that he can't physically beat that guy and has to rely on technology instead wouldn't have turned it into a different film.
Yes, it would have, since Batman's whole arc in this movie is that he has to let go of his death wish in order to defeat Bane. Before that happens, he's brutally defeated, and after that, he wins the day, saves everyone and finally moves on with his life. That's what the movie's about.

"Batman defeats Bane using gadgets" is a different movie, one that I personally feel is considerably less interesting. You may have a different opinion about that, but when all is said and done it's still a different movie.
But from the beginning Chris Nolan was trying to remake Batman as realistic as possible without sacrificing too much of the fantastic edge that Batman has.

Batman Begins painstakingly did this. The Dark Knight slipped a bit. Dark Knight Rises forgot it was supposed to be realistic and just said "Fuck it, all it takes is the desire and you can get out of bed with a broken back and busted knee".

No. Fucking. Way. At least not the way it was shown in the movie.

What *I* would have liked to see, is have Bruce Wayne find a team of trustworthy doctors (perhaps with the help of Lucius?) that could have used the latest in medical technology to fix his back and his knee.

I actually thought they were going to go this route at that scene with the doctor that told him he couldn't go skiing anymore.

That's all it would have taken to make this a great movie IMO. It's too late now though.
Old December 29 2012, 10:55 PM   #1144
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

GalaxyX wrote:
I actually thought they were going to go this route at that scene with the doctor that told him he couldn't go skiing anymore.
The guy from Reno 911?
Old December 29 2012, 11:11 PM   #1145
Captrek
Rear Admiral

The rule was, “At the first sign of interference from the outside world, [the trigger man] will trigger the bomb.” At the time, Bruce was in the outside world. Why didn’t Talia push the trigger as soon as he returned?
Captrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29 2012, 11:13 PM   #1146
RoJoHen
Awesome

Magus on a Star Trek wrote: View Post
The rule was, “At the first sign of interference from the outside world, [the trigger man] will trigger the bomb.” At the time, Bruce was in the outside world. Why didn’t Talia push the trigger as soon as he returned?
Because the whole point was for Bruce to watch Gotham be destroyed, to see his failure. It doesn't torture his soul if just randomly explodes.
Old December 30 2012, 07:56 AM   #1147
Yminale
Rear Admiral

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
We just know that "somehow" Bane got explosives all over the city, in bridges and tunnels and in the stadium
Bane was working with Daggett who owned a construction company. Bane stated he used Daggett's resources before he killed him

and that "somehow" he knew where to set-up shop under Batman's armory but we're never really told why.
Wayne Enterprise was in the defense industry. That was established in "Batman Begins". The advance prototypes had to be stored somewhere and once you know something exists, it's just a matter of time to find it.

As I recall, the American people were VERY upset with what happened with Katrina.
So what?! People get upset about a lot of things but what you fail to realize is that people's attention span is pretty short. People would get angry for a week or two and then the news cycle moves on.

Also slow response to a natural disaster in a city is very different than a large region being held hostage by a nuclear weapon over a period of MONTHS.
You asked if government could be totally apathetic. I gave you a real world example.

Something like six months, as I recall. That's also six months where presumably there wasn't much going on in Gotham as far as maintaining public works infrastructure and systems. Pipes, powerlines, tunnels, trains, all stuff that needs to be maintained regularly and won't sit well for six months.
Gotham didn't appear to be functioning for 6 months, your point.

Yeah, Bane's plan in this movie just doesn't hold up well under scrutiny.
Your analysis doesn't hold up to scrutiny. You could complain that it was too simplistic but there is no logical flaws. Bane's plan was to make Gotham suffer as long as possible and then kill it.
Old December 30 2012, 08:07 AM   #1148
Yminale
Rear Admiral

GalaxyX wrote: View Post
Dark Knight Rises forgot it was supposed to be realistic and just said "Fuck it, all it takes is the desire and you can get out of bed with a broken back and busted knee".

Uhm. Batman has a flying vehicle that is aerodynamically impossible and Bane stole a FUSION REACTOR the size of a small car and you're complaining about Bruce Wayne's bum knee and "broken" back. How come you are not complaining that Selina Kyle is running around and fighting in high heel boots.
Old December 30 2012, 09:33 AM   #1149
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

Something like six months, as I recall. That's also six months where presumably there wasn't much going on in Gotham as far as maintaining public works infrastructure and systems. Pipes, powerlines, tunnels, trains, all stuff that needs to be maintained regularly and won't sit well for six months.
One nod to this is that we do see the city's lights flickering out in places, but only in the aerial shot preceding a conversation between Gordon & Blake and then immediately following that conversation.
Old December 30 2012, 10:16 AM   #1150
Dream
Admiral

I couldn't help but think of that when Batman was trying to get rid of the bomb in this movie. I went "SERIOUSLY?!"
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30 2012, 11:13 AM   #1151
RoJoHen
Awesome

I'll be honest; this movie is my favorite of the trilogy. I know that it is riddled with plot holes, and half the stuff in it doesn't make any sense, but I just really like it. I love Bane. I love Anne Hathaway as Catwoman. I love John Blake. I have already rewatched it twice since buying the Blu-Ray, which is more times than I've bothered to watch either of the other two movies.
Old December 30 2012, 04:33 PM   #1152
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Yminale wrote: View Post
GalaxyX wrote: View Post
Dark Knight Rises forgot it was supposed to be realistic and just said "Fuck it, all it takes is the desire and you can get out of bed with a broken back and busted knee".

Uhm. Batman has a flying vehicle that is aerodynamically impossible and Bane stole a FUSION REACTOR the size of a small car and you're complaining about Bruce Wayne's bum knee and "broken" back.
I'm not a scientist and know nothing about aerodynamics or fusion reactors, but I know very well what a broken back and a busted knee is. That is what makes the difference in the amount of suspension of disbelief.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30 2012, 05:10 PM   #1153
Forbin
Admiral

The Mirrorball Man wrote: View Post
Forbin wrote: View Post
Ah! Then it was okay to have defeated him with a gadget. Actually, for someone ELSE to have defeated him with a gadget, while Batman lay on the floor.
To be perfectly honest, every time I see Anne Hathaway in tight leather, my critical mind seems to disappear, so I must admit that it may not be as thematically sound as I pretended that it was.
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30 2012, 05:43 PM   #1154
Agent Richard07
Admiral

Dream wrote: View Post

I couldn't help but think of that when Batman was trying to get rid of the bomb in this movie. I went "SERIOUSLY?!"
I thought the same thing.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30 2012, 05:59 PM   #1155
Captrek
Rear Admiral

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
Magus on a Star Trek wrote: View Post
Because the whole point was for Bruce to watch Gotham be destroyed, to see his failure. It doesn't torture his soul if just randomly explodes.
Nothing random about it. He has been told the bomb will be triggered if he interferes. If he lives long enough to realize it has detonated, he dies knowing that he set it off.
Captrek is offline   Reply With Quote