IDW Publishing January Comics
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old August 1 2012, 03:34 AM   #76
THE Robert Maxwell
Reports of my death...

View THE Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to THE Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to THE Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to THE Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to THE Robert Maxwell
Re: Breaking Bad - Season 5

I totally have to get this:

http://www.bustedtees.com/bettercallsaul
Old August 2 2012, 06:48 AM   #77
Dorian Thompson
Admiral

He was meditating on trying to get rid of Mike.
Oh thank God. I thought he was giving a warning to Jesse for butting in about the money. I was like, "Are you f'ing KIDDING ME? Jesse's the only person who gives a damn about you, Walter. Your wife's terrified of you and your son will reject you in a heartbeat if he finds out who you really are."

I think Jesse will be the end of Walt. He's never found out about Jane, has he? Will Jesse be the only bit of humanity Walt has left, and for how long?

My God, Cranston and Aaron Paul are brilliant. So is Giancarlo Espisoto. Gus gave me nightmares.

Best disaster animal relief charity around. Don't forget our animal friends. Donate, train to be a volunteer, or be a foster parent for a displaced pet.
Dorian Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2 2012, 02:33 PM   #78
THE Robert Maxwell
Reports of my death...

View THE Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to THE Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to THE Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to THE Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to THE Robert Maxwell

Jesse is really the only bridge Walt has left to burn, and that's not for lack of trying on Walt's part. Jesse is just too emotionally needy to realize how abusive his relationship with Walt is. I think once he finds out about Jane, however and whenever that happens, he will finally realize just how much Walt has fucked up his life. Sure, he's rich now, but is it worth all the hell he's gone through?
Old August 2 2012, 02:46 PM   #79
Dorian Thompson
Admiral

Yeah, I've watched the whole series in a period of two weeks; Aaron Paul is a revelation times ten. I had no idea how brilliant he is as an actor. I never expected to feel so much sympathy for Jesse when it started. The character breaks my heart because he isn't a naturally violent person. He's so malleable that you wonder where he could have gone in life with a strong male role model who gave a shit about him. When he kept the junkies at his place and wouldn't turn off his stereo equipment because he was that tormented by his thoughts about Gale that he couldn't stand the silence he was like some lost child--I was startled by how much compassion I felt for someone who could shoot someone dead. He only did it for Walt. He's so easily led. That's why I think Jesse will be the one to finally turn on Walt and do him in when he's forced to face the truth about him.

Now I get it when people rail that Cranston isn't getting his due, or that the show isn't getting its proper due. Cranston and Paul have both won emmys for their acting on the show, haven't they? Cranston sure flipped on the full evil switch this season. Once he killed Gus, Walt as we knew him was gone. I was crushed when I saw the Lily of the Valley plant. How did he get the berries to little Brock anyway? I'll never look at Malcolm and the Middle reruns the same way again.

Best disaster animal relief charity around. Don't forget our animal friends. Donate, train to be a volunteer, or be a foster parent for a displaced pet.
Old August 2 2012, 04:00 PM   #80
Shamrock Bones
Agent Richard07

^ Jesse was slated to be killed off in season 1, but they loved Aaron Paul and his character so much that they kept him on.
Shamrock Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2 2012, 04:10 PM   #81
THE Robert Maxwell
Reports of my death...

The show is much better for it, too. Walt needs a foil and a contrast, and Jesse provides both in spades. It just wouldn't be the same show without Jesse.
Old August 2 2012, 04:49 PM   #82
Dorian Thompson
Admiral

They were going to kill off Jesse??? Really?? I had no idea. Oh, it is sooo much better for having kept him. I can't imagine Walter in his conflict with Gus all by himself.

I love character driven shows; for all of its action BB is soooo character driven. That's why I couldn't stop watching. Jesse is like Walt's very last, veeeeery tenuous tie to humanity. He seemed sincerely stricken when Jesse and he had their knock down drag out fight and Jesse was taken to Mexico to teach the cartel how to cook. His drunkenly calling Walt Jr. "Jesse" after he'd been beaten up was telling....but then he does what he does to poison little Brock to get Jesse to turn against Gustavo for good. I wanted to kill Walt for that. Him terrorizing Skyler now is bad enough.

I also loved the recent scene when Mike called Walt a ticking time bomb and told Jesse that he felt bad that he couldn't see it. Everyone sees Walt for what he is now except Jesse. I love it that Mike the hit man likes Jesse. Only on a show like this could that be believable. Such superb actors one and all.

Then there's Hank. How far will Walt go now to stop him?

Old August 2 2012, 05:12 PM   #83
Roger Wilco
Admiral

Dorian Thompson wrote: View Post
Too far by the looks of it.

And I didn't get the vibe that Walt actually raped Skyler, but it makes sense, would explain why she's so shellshocked now...
Old August 2 2012, 05:24 PM   #84
Dorian Thompson
Admiral

It's more like she was too terrified to say "no." It was creepy as hell how all over her he was. It's not as if a man can't tell that a woman isn't receptive in bed.

Old August 2 2012, 05:53 PM   #85
davejames
Vice Admiral

Up til now Walt's gone out of his way to protect Hank, but who knows how much longer that'll last.

I WANT to believe that, even as the shit's going down at the very end, Walt will have enough humanity left in him to not want to hurt Hank (especially after he was already nearly crippled for life), but it's hard to say what he'll do.
davejames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 2 2012, 06:13 PM   #86
stj
Rear Admiral

What I get from the show about Walt's feeling for Hank is that Walt both despises and resents him. Learning to fear Hank will be difficult given his massive ego, but he's not that stupid. It'll come, eventually. I think the only thing that kept him from sitting on his hands when it came to Gus putting a hit on Hank was his belief that Skylar would blame him. Now that he's got something on Skylar (embezzlement, assault on Beneke, terror) he won't wait long. The only thing holding him back will be a little worry that hurting Marie that much might drive Skylar to leave.

All sexual relations between Skylar and Walt now have an element of force by initimidation, i.e., of rape. But Skylar being another crook, as well as an adulteress, has permanently removed her from any pedestal. He can live with her reluctance.
Old August 2 2012, 06:35 PM   #87
Harvey
Admiral

Agent Richard07 wrote: View Post
^ Jesse was slated to be killed off in season 1, but they loved Aaron Paul and his character so much that they kept him on.
It helped that the writers' strike happened before they could produce all ten episodes they had initially planned for the first season. Over the hiatus, the writers reconsidered their plans for the show, and made a few adjustments. Not only did Jesse live, but Tuco -- who they had intended to be a major antagonist -- was killed when Raymond Cruz asked to appear in fewer episodes in season two.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2 2012, 11:57 PM   #88
gblews
Rear Admiral

View gblews's Twitter Profile

davejames wrote: View Post
Up til now Walt's gone out of his way to protect Hank, but who knows how much longer that'll last.

I WANT to believe that, even as the shit's going down at the very end, Walt will have enough humanity left in him to not want to hurt Hank (especially after he was already nearly crippled for life), but it's hard to say what he'll do.
stj wrote: View Post
What I get from the show about Walt's feeling for Hank is that Walt both despises and resents him.
Wow, that's not my take at all, at least up to this point. Walt has shown nothing but genuine affection for Hank over the past couple of years. That affection has even seemed to grow as Hank's life took those ad turns.

Of course, it may not last but I think for now, we can assume that Walt does care about hank independant of his feelings for Marie.

Speaking of Hank, my sister and I got into an argument about him and Jesse. I said that even though Jesse has become the show's main protagonist, Hank is still the show's moral center. She thinks that Jesse is the show's moral center. But, I pointed out to her, Hank may not be perfect but he is still pure as the driven snow compared to all the other characters including Jesse who is a drug dealer and murderer.
All sexual relations between Skylar and Walt now have an element of force by initimidation, i.e., of rape. But Skylar being another crook, as well as an adulteress, has permanently removed her from any pedestal. He can live with her reluctance.
Harsh, but true I think.

But I'm not getting exactly why Skyler is so scared of Walt all of a sudden. Okay, she knows he blew up Gus but why wouldn't she see that as just self defense? She was well aware that Walt's life was in danger at some point.

Walt has shown her nothing but "love" and devotion in the past. I don't think the show has worked hard enough make a convincing case for justifying Skyler's fear of Walt at this point.
gblews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3 2012, 12:06 AM   #89
gblews
Rear Admiral

View gblews's Twitter Profile

Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
I totally have to get this:

http://www.bustedtees.com/bettercallsaul
This is great. I just got my daughter a shirt with a drawing of Walt as "Heisenberg" for her birthday. It's nice but I wish I'de seen this one first.
gblews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3 2012, 03:06 AM   #90
Snaploud
Admiral

Now I get it when people rail that Cranston isn't getting his due, or that the show isn't getting its proper due. Cranston and Paul have both won emmys for their acting on the show, haven't they?
Bryan Cranston won the Emmy for Outstanding Lead Actor in a Drama Series in 2008, 2009, and 2010. He wasn't eligible in 2011 (due to the long hiatus).

Aaron Paul won the Emmy for Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Drama Series in 2010.

Unfortunately, the show never won the Emmy for Best Drama (though, it has been nominated several times).
Snaploud is offline   Reply With Quote