Quinto TV Alert
By: T'Bonz on Mar 26

Shatner Remembers Nimoy
By: T'Bonz on Mar 26

Star Trek Delta Coin Pouches
By: T'Bonz on Mar 25

Takei Museum Fundraiser In Progress
By: T'Bonz on Mar 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old September 1 2012, 10:14 PM   #376
Dorian Thompson
Admiral

Re: Breaking Bad - Season 5

The only thing that would accomplish that is the death of one of his children, IMO, whether it be caused directly or indirectly by Walt's new career

Best disaster animal relief charity around. Don't forget our animal friends. Donate, train to be a volunteer, or be a foster parent for a displaced pet.
Dorian Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1 2012, 10:47 PM   #377
gblews
Rear Admiral

View gblews's Twitter Profile

Dorian Thompson wrote: View Post
The only thing that would accomplish that is the death of one of his children, IMO, whether it be caused directly or indirectly by Walt's new career
And in order for that to have any meaning, Walter has to still have real love for his children, something that "some" us thought no longer was the case.
gblews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1 2012, 11:00 PM   #378
gblews
Rear Admiral

View gblews's Twitter Profile

Here is what Vince had to say about "redemption" for Walt in an L.A. Times article today:

Redemption is a pretty tricky thing. You'd have to be pretty saintly to say that Walter White could be redeemed at this point. I don't think I'm saintly enough to say that.
I do think he is viewing "redemption" here as Walt making up for the bad he has done, and not as a thing where we are given a reminder that Walt didn't start out to become Scarface.

But he also said this about the ultimate ending:

I want to believe there is some sort of cosmic balancing of the scales at the end of it all," he said. "I'd just like to believe there's some point to it all. I'd like to believe that there is. Everything is just too random and chaotic absent that.
To me, this sounds like we will see a fuller explanation of Walter White and who he was and who and why he became who he became beyond 'he was a very bad guy who in the end got what was coming to him'.
gblews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2 2012, 12:57 AM   #379
InklingStar
Fleet Captain

View InklingStar's Twitter Profile

sidious618 wrote: View Post
Walt has had "I did this" moments but he's able to rationalize his guilt away and at this point he could do it even if he nuked Albuquerque.
Spoiler alert!
Old September 2 2012, 03:45 AM   #380
Mojochi
Commodore

gblews wrote: View Post
Dorian Thompson wrote: View Post
And in order for that to have any meaning, Walter has to still have real love for his children, something that "some" us thought no longer was the case.
I can't say I think he never loved his children, but I'm a firm believer that as much as he does love them, he loves himself more, or is so much more obsessed with himself, that he places his own needs & desires above theirs. (At least since the day he learned he had nothing else to lose) That is the worst transgression he's committing, while simultaneously bullshitting himself that he's done all this to help them

It's true that's there's little evidence to build a working knowledge of the man before his diagnosis, but between the back story, & the few scenes from the pilot, it's apparent he is a man who spent his adult life sacrificing to provide, swallowing his pride, & hating himself for who he was

Though he loves his family, in the beginning, it's apparent that he was a man that got very little joy from his family. He was a man trapped in a family life, that deep down you could tell he resented. Finding out he'd be dead by 52 was the ticket to ride out his remaining days living any way he wanted, from trashing his boss's car wash, to beating down a kid who mocks his son

And it doesn't stop. He's lived that way ever since, choosing to play things in ways that benefit him over everyone else. I think the best thing about the scene where he lets Jane die is that you see those wheels turning, from the initial knee jerk reaction of panic that she might die, & he should help her, to considering that it benefits him better if she were to just die

He knows the right thing to do, by reflex, & is choosing to not do it. It's a new life of complete self interest, & when you're doing that, it reaps consequences on the ones who you claim to love
Mojochi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2 2012, 07:22 PM   #381
Capt. Vulcan
Vice Admiral

My theory about the gun and that opening scene is that Walt is already done by then and there's no real showdown coming. His cancer is back. Walt J. an Skylar are dead, possibly even Hank and Jesse. Walt has gone on the run. The final scene will be him taking the gun out of the back of the car and coldly opening fire on the headquarters of grey matter.

Lol, ok not really since they showed the gretchen and the other guy live in ABQ, but it would be a huge difference to how people expect the show to end.
Old September 2 2012, 08:41 PM   #382
sidious618
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to sidious618

Capt. Vulcan wrote: View Post
My theory about the gun and that opening scene is that Walt is already done by then and there's no real showdown coming. His cancer is back. Walt J. an Skylar are dead, possibly even Hank and Jesse. Walt has gone on the run. The final scene will be him taking the gun out of the back of the car and coldly opening fire on the headquarters of grey matter.
That would be kinda hilarious. What a fucked up ending that'd be.
Old September 2 2012, 09:02 PM   #383
Trubinator
Rear Admiral

gblews wrote: View Post
Here is what Vince had to say about "redemption" for Walt in an L.A. Times article today:

Redemption is a pretty tricky thing. You'd have to be pretty saintly to say that Walter White could be redeemed at this point. I don't think I'm saintly enough to say that.
I do think he is viewing "redemption" here as Walt making up for the bad he has done, and not as a thing where we are given a reminder that Walt didn't start out to become Scarface.

But he also said this about the ultimate ending:

I want to believe there is some sort of cosmic balancing of the scales at the end of it all," he said. "I'd just like to believe there's some point to it all. I'd like to believe that there is. Everything is just too random and chaotic absent that.
To me, this sounds like we will see a fuller explanation of Walter White and who he was and who and why he became who he became beyond 'he was a very bad guy who in the end got what was coming to him'.
I trust Vince Gilligan to end the show right. It's just hard to see where they might take us before the end.
Old September 2 2012, 09:31 PM   #384
CaptainCanada
Admiral

Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
If Walt had just been content to do his job and not make waves, Gus never would've found it necessary to kill him.
Gus determined on killing him because of Walt's actions to save Jesse from killing the dealers, something Mike always seems to overlook given that he still likes Jesse. Walt's got ego up the wazoo, but that was hardly an instance of it.
Tom wrote: View Post
I have issues with the lawyer at the bank too. He is putting cash in his customers safe deposit box, what wrong with that. Yes, he has a big bag of cash, but its not against the law to have cash, last I checked he is in a bank after all. The DEA has no grounds at all to arrest him and as a lawyer he should know that. Also, legally he can't breach client/lawyer confidentialty and flip anyone. Just seemed a bit off.
They can arrest him on suspicion of funnelling illegal drug money, since they know who is picking up the cash, and it's not clear what his explanation for where the money came from would be. Moreover, once the deposits have been halted, the nine guys will flip, regardless of what he does; better to make a deal while the dealing is good.

Mike isn't formally his client (Mike's lawyer is Saul), so he can give evidence against him.

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2 2012, 09:37 PM   #385
Harvey
Admiral

It's been a while since I've seen those episodes; was it made clear that Mike knew everything about the death of the kid and Walt's subsequent killing of the dealers? Or was he just ordered to take out Walt and, like a good soldier, was ready to do the deed without asking any questions?

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2 2012, 10:00 PM   #386
DarthPipes
Vice Admiral

I just finished watching all 53 episodes of Breaking Bad. Over two months of course. I finally caught up with the show this afternoon. I absolutely love it...I'm just sorry I have to watch it like a normal person now. I can't wait for the season finale though.
DarthPipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2 2012, 11:28 PM   #387
Dorian Thompson
Admiral

DarthPipes! You joined the club. Outstanding. I became a recent convert myself about a month ago. It's good stuff, isn't it? I marathoned it myself once I got into it. I couldn't stop. Very addictive.

To me, "balancing the scales" would be Walt beating the cancer for good. Mr. White, the treatment worked! You're part of the tiny minority who've gone into complete remission. What a lucky, lucky man you are....sorry to hear about your family being dead, and BTW, you're going to prison. What luck! You can serve your full 30 year sentence now. Last shot: Walter getting his face shoved into the floor by another inmate. He realizes he'll be abused for the rest of his (unfortunately long) life. Guess you should have taken the 5 mil and been content, eh?

Best disaster animal relief charity around. Don't forget our animal friends. Donate, train to be a volunteer, or be a foster parent for a displaced pet.
Dorian Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3 2012, 03:04 AM   #388
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

Harvey wrote: View Post
It's been a while since I've seen those episodes; was it made clear that Mike knew everything about the death of the kid and Walt's subsequent killing of the dealers? Or was he just ordered to take out Walt and, like a good soldier, was ready to do the deed without asking any questions?
I just checked, Mike was present for all those meetings, so he knew why Jesse acted and why Walt got involved.

Maybe what Mike meant was that Gus had no interest in killing Walt or Jesse after they killed Gale, maybe Gus would have been okay to let them cook and stay out of their lives so long as they didn't infringe on his business again. But Walt refused to drop it, he tried to shoot Gus in his home, he tried to convince Mike to turn on Gus, and he tried to get Jesse to poison Gus. Maybe it was those acts that pushed Gus once again toward wanting to kill Walt.

"No one is actually dead until the ripples they cause in the world die away." - The immortal Terry Pratchett
TheGodBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3 2012, 03:19 AM   #389
Harvey
Admiral

In light of Gus' brutal murder of Victor in front of Walt, Jesse, and Mike, I have a hard time believing that he would have just let Walt be. But the thought does put an interesting spin on Walt's actions in season four.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3 2012, 04:07 AM   #390
Tom
Rear Admiral

Another Great episode! is is 2013 yet??

Owner - TrekUnited.com - Forum now re-open! click here
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote