New Funko Trek Figure
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Saldana As A Role Model

San Diego Comic-Con Trek Fan Guide

Cumberbatch As Turing

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old August 29 2012, 01:37 AM   #346
sidious618
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to sidious618
Re: Breaking Bad - Season 5

Walt has been bad for ages. He attempted to rape his wife at the start of season two and he, y'know, cooked meth since season one.
Old August 29 2012, 02:09 AM   #347
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Walt didn't try to rape her. He thought, or thinks that she still love/d him then/now... She's so damn passive aggressive that he was completely ignorant to HOW she was saying "no".

Walt thought it was consensual.

She was too horrified to school him otherwise.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29 2012, 02:21 AM   #348
sidious618
Admiral

Do you not remember that scene? She most certainly told him no and she got slammed into the fridge. Now, granted, Walt was barely conscious himself but it goes right to the heart of his dominance issues, which have always been there. He was a regular guy, yes, but a regular guy who was more than willing to make decisions that he knew were wrong. He's always been an asshole.
Old August 29 2012, 02:35 AM   #349
Trubinator
Rear Admiral

sidious618 wrote: View Post
Do you not remember that scene? She most certainly told him no and she got slammed into the fridge. Now, granted, Walt was barely conscious himself but it goes right to the heart of his dominance issues, which have always been there. He was a regular guy, yes, but a regular guy who was more than willing to make decisions that he knew were wrong. He's always been an asshole.

You misread that scene. Walter was portrayed as being scared out of his mind by recent events and was seeking closeness with his wife. When you're that rabid with emotion it can be hard to see straight sometimes, but you will recall that he stopped as soon as she said no.
Old August 29 2012, 02:45 AM   #350
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Do not recall the fridge.

I was thinking of when she was lying in bed and he cozies up behind her where from he can't see the single tear strolling down her face.

Old August 29 2012, 03:45 AM   #351
gblews
Rear Admiral

View gblews's Twitter Profile

The show hasn't shown us any evidence that Walt was this bad prior to his cancer diagnosis. We may have been shown that he wasn't the happiest guy pre-cancer, but he didn't seem all that much different from other men his age and in his situation.

This was no accident. Vince and his staff meant for us to know that Walt may have had the capacity for evil but it may never have physically manifested were it not for his circumstances.

Hell, I don't think Walt even knew. The question then becomes; what might we all be capable of under the right circumstances. As someone stated upthread, this is part of what makes the show so compelling.
gblews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29 2012, 04:51 AM   #352
Robert Maxwell
Respect the Beef

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell

Trubinator wrote: View Post

You misread that scene. Walter was portrayed as being scared out of his mind by recent events and was seeking closeness with his wife. When you're that rabid with emotion it can be hard to see straight sometimes, but you will recall that he stopped as soon as she said no.
That's not true, she said "no" more than once. He didn't listen until she basically screamed it at him and moved in such a way that he couldn't continue.
My blog
Robert Maxwell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 29 2012, 05:36 AM   #353
stj
Rear Admiral

I'm still of the opinion that Walt was broken by his fear of death, making the cancer absolutely essential to his degeneration. And agree that's what makes his personal tragedy so interesting to (some of) us: We know we might react the same way. (But I still insist that the show is approaching the point where it has to decide whether it meant that Walt was destroyed by his fear and turned bad, or whether it's celebrating a weakling turned bad ass.)

Anna Gunn does pretty well trying to make a humanly consistent character out of Skylar but Mrs. White is really too baffling to assess Walt's badness from his marital relations. She slept with Ted and commited tax fraud for him for apparently no reason at all: At other times the series portrays her as a selfless wife, an upright citizen and much to honorable to be dazzled by Ted's superficial gloss (aka apparent wealth.) Letting Jane die for what were in the final analysis trivial reasons seems like a better indication that Walt's moral collapse was pretty severe straightaway. What's been going on is the progressive clearing of the ruins of his integrity in the pursuit of money and power.

Yes, Mike was wrong in claiming that only Walt's ego messed up things with Fring. But the most interesting and best played aspect of the episode I think was Jesse walking away from the money. Then the episode stomps on it by having Walt accidentally overhear a major plot twist (and a shaky one, as noted by others above) driving Mike and Jesse back into Walt's orbit.
Old August 29 2012, 05:54 AM   #354
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

A more disturbing last episode...

Walt squeezing Skylar's corpse into a barrel, then drowning it in acid.

Walt seems like the sort of guy who would think kids trump wife.

Old August 29 2012, 06:18 AM   #355
sidious618
Admiral

gblews wrote: View Post
The show hasn't shown us any evidence that Walt was this bad prior to his cancer diagnosis. We may have been shown that he wasn't the happiest guy pre-cancer, but he didn't seem all that much different from other men his age and in his situation.
He definitely wasn't as bad before getting the cancer, of course, but he always had it in him.
Old August 29 2012, 06:40 AM   #356
Dorian Thompson
Admiral

I think if they had an extra episode or two this half season, it would have taken a little longer for Jesse to get back into Walter's orbit. I do agree that Jesse leaving without the money was an extremely well played beat of the episode.

Best disaster animal relief charity around. Don't forget our animal friends. Donate, train to be a volunteer, or be a foster parent for a displaced pet.
Dorian Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29 2012, 09:31 AM   #357
Trubinator
Rear Admiral

I would still like to see Walter redeemed in the end somehow, even if he dies in the process. I think he will realize he needs to make good and possibly buy it in the process, but the end of his journey needs to be on his own terms.
Old August 29 2012, 10:43 AM   #358
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Final episode...

They've bared Walt down like a dog, he's surrounded, there's no way out, Hank is going to kick him in the nuts and then cuff his brotherinlaw.

Which is when Hank's cellphone rings.

"You're kidding. No shit. Well? Walt. Buddy. Walt, this is your lucky fucking day. Congress just legalized meth... So why don't you show me and the boys how this blue shit of yours works."

Old August 29 2012, 03:29 PM   #359
Count Zero
Yeah, I know...

Old August 29 2012, 11:36 PM   #360
davejames
Vice Admiral

Trubinator wrote: View Post
I would still like to see Walter redeemed in the end somehow, even if he dies in the process. I think he will realize he needs to make good and possibly buy it in the process, but the end of his journey needs to be on his own terms.
I don't need to see him "redeemed", but I do hope we still see plenty of the sad, fragile Walt at the end, and he doesn't turn into just another grim, soulless Gus Fring type.

Because as hard as the writers try (and as depicable as he can often be), I don't think I'll EVER be able to see Walt as purely evil.

He does some evil things, but most of that originates from his feelings of inadequacy and low self-worth, and not because he truly enjoys hurting people or anything.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote