Mystery Mini Vinyl Figure Display Box
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

The Red Shirt Diaries Episode Five
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

Shatner In Trek 3? Well Maybe
By: T'Bonz on Sep 28

Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old August 28 2012, 03:06 AM   #331
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

Re: Breaking Bad - Season 5

Mojochi wrote: View Post
Do you mean it was a hot theory before they diagnosed Brock as having been poisoned with it? Or just that once everyone knew Brock had been poisoned, everybody was theorizing that Walt had done it? because yeah, most everybody was theorizing that Walt had done it, once we knew about the Lily of the Valley being the diagnosis
Some fans had figured out that Walt poisoned Brock before the lily of the valley diagnosis, back when most people thought it was ricin poisoning. There had been a number of minor oddities in episode 4x12 that were picked up on which pointed to Walt being the poisoner, and then some people began to focus on the plant in the gun spinning scene and figured it was a lily of the valley plant. I never would have figured it out had I not read the theories online, and it was so outlandish that a lot of people that did read about it didn't believe it possible. That week between those episodes was a fun time; the camp that believed Walt was the poisoner were smug in their own brilliance for figuring it out, and the camp that believed he didn't do it thought it was so stupid that they threatened to stop watching if it turned out to be true.
Old August 28 2012, 04:58 AM   #332
Dorian Thompson
Admiral

Todd's dumb like a fox. Those "prison connections" will come into play, mark my words. I, too, think Walt would rather have Jesse. It's more of an ego boost if he can "woo" Jesse back, so to speak. Also, Jesse's developed a brain along the way and Walt always appreciates that. I think Todd's sucking up with the "we can talk about money when I get it right" business. He's stealing the formula. He has to be.

Best disaster animal relief charity around. Don't forget our animal friends. Donate, train to be a volunteer, or be a foster parent for a displaced pet.
Dorian Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28 2012, 01:43 PM   #333
PKerr
Rear Admiral

J.T.B. wrote: View Post
Tom wrote: View Post
I have issues with the lawyer at the bank too. He is putting cash in his customers safe deposit box, what wrong with that. Yes, he has a big bag of cash, but its not against the law to have cash, last I checked he is in a bank after all. The DEA has no grounds at all to arrest him and as a lawyer he should know that. Also, legally he can't breach client/lawyer confidentialty and flip anyone. Just seemed a bit off.
Yeah, I thought the same thing. Saul made a point of the lawyer/client privelege thing when they first hooked up with him. I can't imagine even a crummy lawyer going in to be "sweated" by the police without his own legal counsel. It did seem off.

Justin
Watched the episode last night and I too though that scene odd.

Umm ok so you caught me putting cash into a safety deposit box in a bank, BFD.

I would think the real crime would be you coming into said private area without any kind of warrant or provocation to do so and one would think a lawyer would quote that straight away.
PKerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28 2012, 01:47 PM   #334
THE Robert Maxwell
Reports of my death...

View THE Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to THE Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to THE Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to THE Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to THE Robert Maxwell

Dorian Thompson wrote: View Post
Todd's dumb like a fox. Those "prison connections" will come into play, mark my words. I, too, think Walt would rather have Jesse. It's more of an ego boost if he can "woo" Jesse back, so to speak. Also, Jesse's developed a brain along the way and Walt always appreciates that. I think Todd's sucking up with the "we can talk about money when I get it right" business. He's stealing the formula. He has to be.
That all seems likely.

Todd strikes me as the sycophantic parasitical type. He will latch on and kiss your ass for as long as he thinks it suits him, but once he thinks he's got the edge, it's game over. He is probably just as ambitious as Walt, but much more ruthless. You could see that in the way he casually gunned down the kid and so easily rationalized it. All he's lacking is the expertise to do the cooking and the business himself, and well, he's working on those.
Old August 28 2012, 04:25 PM   #335
Shamrock Bones
Agent Richard07

The latest ep reminded me that there's one little thing that bugs me about this show, and I hate to mention it since I haven't looked forward to new shows this eagerly since The Wire. But they use gimmicky shots. Last night it was the POV of the hand opening the safe deposit boxes. A few episodes ago it was an upward shot through a table and a map which had somehow become transparent. Hitchcock always said the camera should be placed so the viewer feels they could see what it's seeing, it subconsciously draws them in. Every time they use a shot like that it takes me out of things a little. It seems like a gimmick that the show doesn't need. But that's small beer...
Another recent one was when Walt and Jr. brought their new cars home. I love those little touches. They add a bit of panache to the show.

Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
I loved the expression on Walt's face when Mike told him off. He knew every word Mike said was 100% right.
Gus was also trying to kill Walt, forcing him to fight back, so he didn't completely ruin a good thing. That fact got in the way of Mike's smackdown.

Did anyone else find it peculiar that the camera shot in Hank's office, right after Walt removes the bugs, looked suspiciously like it was shot from a ceiling mounted surveillance camera?
I knew there couldn't have been a camera, but it did look that way didn't it? I wonder if that scene was foreshadowing something. Walt's gotta be careful.

Borgminister wrote: View Post
Let me die in peace...

classic.
Best death scene ever.
Shamrock Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28 2012, 04:35 PM   #336
THE Robert Maxwell
Reports of my death...

View THE Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to THE Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to THE Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to THE Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to THE Robert Maxwell

Agent Richard07 wrote: View Post
I loved the expression on Walt's face when Mike told him off. He knew every word Mike said was 100% right.
Gus was also trying to kill Walt, forcing him to fight back, so he didn't completely ruin a good thing. That fact got in the way of Mike's smackdown.
A fate Walt brought on himself by being such a total loose cannon to begin with. He assumed Gale was there to replace him, and therefore Gale had to die. Knowing Gus, Gale was probably there mainly to be an insurance policy in case they had to do away with Walt. But Gus was right not to trust Walt.

And then, after Gale was dead and Gus killed Victor, I think he made his point pretty clear: "You will work for me, and I will completely own you." Walt couldn't handle that, and kept pushing and pushing until Gus had to threaten to murder his whole family to get him in line. A miscalculation on his part, of course. It just made Walt take extreme measures to eliminate the threat.

Mike was right. If Walt had just been content to do his job and not make waves, Gus never would've found it necessary to kill him. Why mess up a good thing? Gale could've served as a backup, or he could've manned another lab elsewhere to expand the business. Gus was thinking long-term. Walt, as usual, couldn't see past his own ego.
Old August 28 2012, 05:01 PM   #337
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

A fate Walt brought on himself by being such a total loose cannon to begin with. He assumed Gale was there to replace him, and therefore Gale had to die. Knowing Gus, Gale was probably there mainly to be an insurance policy in case they had to do away with Walt. But Gus was right not to trust Walt.
I think it was pretty clear in the season 3 finale that Gus was planning to kill Walt, Mike was sent to kill Walt before Gus even found out that Walt was planing to kill Gale. And the subtext of the scene between Gale and Gus in that episode was that Gale gave his consent for Walt to be killed sooner rather than later. It was Gus that messed up when he (presumably) ordered those two dealers to kill that kid, it was that decision that caused Walt, who had previously been loyal to Gus, to turn against him.
Old August 28 2012, 05:02 PM   #338
Shamrock Bones
Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 wrote: View Post
A fate Walt brought on himself by being such a total loose cannon to begin with.
Eventhough he may have been overstepping his bounds in a dangerous game, he was trying to protect Jesse, who was the main problem. Can't fault him too much for that.

He assumed Gale was there to replace him, and therefore Gale had to die. Knowing Gus, Gale was probably there mainly to be an insurance policy in case they had to do away with Walt.
I thought Gus was definately preparing Gale to be Walt's replacement, as mentioned above.

Mike was right. If Walt had just been content to do his job and not make waves, Gus never would've found it necessary to kill him. Why mess up a good thing? Gale could've served as a backup, or he could've manned another lab elsewhere to expand the business. Gus was thinking long-term. Walt, as usual, couldn't see past his own ego.
At the time though, you could see how dangerous a business he was in and his fears seemed justified. To be honest, this is the only season where Walt's pride and ego seem to be really out of control to the point where he's too irrational.
Shamrock Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28 2012, 05:45 PM   #339
Harvey
Admiral

The latest ep reminded me that there's one little thing that bugs me about this show, and I hate to mention it since I haven't looked forward to new shows this eagerly since The Wire. But they use gimmicky shots. Last night it was the POV of the hand opening the safe deposit boxes. A few episodes ago it was an upward shot through a table and a map which had somehow become transparent. Hitchcock always said the camera should be placed so the viewer feels they could see what it's seeing, it subconsciously draws them in. Every time they use a shot like that it takes me out of things a little. It seems like a gimmick that the show doesn't need. But that's small beer...
It's part of the visual fabric of the show. Not every scene has to be shot like Hitchcock would approach it.

I liked that the episode addressed the bugs in Hank's office, and that there would be a sweep of it. I expect we'll learn more about how the lawyer was persuaded to flip next week; this show doesn't like leaving loose ends when it comes to the plot. It does like to leave character detail a mystery, though. We'll likely never learn the details of Mike's police history, just like we'll likely never learn the details of Gus Fring's background in Chile.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28 2012, 05:56 PM   #340
J.T.B.
Commodore

Harvey wrote: View Post
It's part of the visual fabric of the show. Not every scene has to be shot like Hitchcock would approach it.
Of course. I was just trying to explain why it doesn't work for me personally. It takes me out instead of drawing me in.

Justin
J.T.B. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 28 2012, 07:07 PM   #341
davejames
Vice Admiral

PKerr wrote: View Post
Watched the episode last night and I too though that scene odd.

Umm ok so you caught me putting cash into a safety deposit box in a bank, BFD.

I would think the real crime would be you coming into said private area without any kind of warrant or provocation to do so and one would think a lawyer would quote that straight away.
Well that's probably why the producers made this particular lawyer be so wimpy-- because they needed someone who looked like he would easily fess up to the DEA. And even Saul says the guy was a moron.

Of course that begs the question of why Mike didn't do a better job selecting someone to handle his money in the first place.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28 2012, 10:19 PM   #342
Beagleman
Captain

Harvey wrote: View Post
It's part of the visual fabric of the show.
Awesome video!
Beagleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28 2012, 10:50 PM   #343
gblews
Rear Admiral

View gblews's Twitter Profile

TheGodBen wrote: View Post
Count Zero wrote: View Post
Todd is a better version of Jesse in the sense that he's eager to learn from Walt and respects him from the start. As for now, he also seems to be more disciplined and ready to do what needs to be done. When Todd said they should talk about money only after he had learned to do the cooking right, Walt seemed to approve of the sentiment. I don't think this bodes well for Jesse.
I had a different read on that scene. It seemed to me that Walt was slightly pissed at Todd because he was so unlike Jesse, the irony being that Todd is exactly the sort of assistant that Walt would have wanted when the show began, but now Walt has changed. I may be wrong.
You might be, but an interesting take on the scene nonetheless. I also thought the look Walt gave Todd fell consideraly short of "the look of love". Bottom line; Jesse is smart, Todd is dumb. I never thought I would ever hear Walt state that he AND Jesse were the two best meth cooks around.
TheGodBen wrote: View Post
Lily of the Valley. Who the hell saw THAT coming? Nobody, that's who. It's not about what happens. It's about how it happens
Actually, the lily of the valley thing was a pretty hot fan theory going into the season finale last year. It's the reason why I've shied away from BB fan sites this year, it was still fun to see my favoured theory for how Brock got sick proven correct, but the season 4 finale lacked that gut punch for me as I was already expecting it.
I remember this from the thread last season. Most of us thought it was Ricin and that Walt was definitely the culprit because Walt had more to gain from it (poisoning Brock) than Gus did. Don't recall anyone knowing Walt used the plant though.
Dorian Thompson wrote: View Post
That all seems likely.
But who would he be stealing the formula for? The Phoenix group is now in partnersip with Walt and even though that could change, how likely is it they could have already contacted Todd and got him working for them? Or, how would Todd know about them to be able to contact them?

Besides, even with Walt's formula, it isn't likely anyone who didn't also know Walt's cooking technique could produce the blue meth. But besides all that, I think it is too late in the game (with only 8 episodes) to bring in someone new for Todd to sell the formula too.

I have a feeling that Todd may play a future role in Walt's problems because he kept the kid's bottle. And as far as his prison contacts are concerned, from the preview scenes for next episode, it looks like they are going to be used REAL soon. Other than this though, I think Todd's just simple "plot lubricant".
gblews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29 2012, 12:53 AM   #344
Trubinator
Rear Admiral

People who side with Gus Fring or say Walter was always bad have no understanding of the show at all. Vince Gilligan has ALWAYS been on record that Walter's transformation from meek family man to ruthless killer was done gradually. It's why we saw him cry when he had to kill his first guy and why he threw his drug money into the barbecue and burned it when he realized he was starting to lose his family. Only after four seasons of transformation and the realization that Walter has no more obstacles in his way has he become the villain you all speak of. And I would argue it was only in this most recent episode where he became truly bad.
Old August 29 2012, 01:28 AM   #345
Harvey
Admiral

He poisoned Brock, knowing that the kid might die, at the end of last season. Walter's been "truly bad" for a while now.

That was a calculated move, however. His murder of Mike was a crime committed in the heat of the moment, and suggests to me that Walter's control of the situation -- and himself -- is swiftly unraveling.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote