Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old August 20 2012, 11:08 PM   #271
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Re: Breaking Bad - Season 5

I just feel Sorry for Colonel Young.

He makes it back to earth somehow.

He's kicked out of the airforce and the only way he can make money for his family is to be a methdealer.

How the mediocre have fallen.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21 2012, 12:47 AM   #272
Borgminister

I do agree that somewhat short shrift was given to the boy's killing; although I did like that Mike sensible approach apparently overrode Walt's attempt at manipulation, with Jesse deciding to get out of the business. Even though--surprise--that didn't work out.

And yes, Walt's entire motivation appears to be to make up for his past "failure" and resultant "ordinary" life as a teacher, even though he now has a chance at a happy, stable family life with baby daughter and young adult son, not to mention a still hot and relatively young wife.

There are none so blind as those who will not see...

Two more episodes until halftime, and I'm already dreading the wait...
Borgminister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21 2012, 01:16 AM   #273
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

the cancer may not be killing him so quickly, but it might be making him crazy.

This is not the same man.

It's only been 12 months in unreal time.

In the final episode.. he goes to heaven.

St Peter does a Superman III division/split.

Good Walt and bad Walt look wits.

ST Peter says: You can go to heaven, and you can go to hell.

Which is when Walt and Walt make their move.

Old August 21 2012, 01:20 AM   #274
Count Zero
Guess who's back

Most awkward dinner ever. It was both hilarious and painful to watch at the same time. And wasn't Jesse kind of cute, trying to be a good guest, making compliments and attemots at small talk?

As for Walt, I think it was good we finally got a clear take on his motivation. It's one hell of a leap though from how he was not too long ago (I'm thinking of the scene in season 4 where he tells Jesse how he missed the right moment to die). I also liked how we got reminded by Walt's and Jesse's early adventures by Jesse himself. In the show's universe that wasn't all that long ago, and yet, from the character development point of view it's been a lifetime. It really makes me sad. What a tragedy.

It was really bad-ass how Walt freed himself. I'm very curious what the plan is. My guess is that it involves killing the Phoenix guys.
Old August 21 2012, 01:37 AM   #275
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

After Mike and Jesse are paid their 5 million, I think Walt is going to trick Hank into arresting the phoenix gang who will be patsies for everything Mike did, and when the dust settles he has all the methylamene back.

No Lydia this week.

Old August 21 2012, 04:43 AM   #276
Dorian Thompson
Admiral

Walter definitely thinks he can put one over on the Phoenix guys; his delusions of grandeur are infusing him with some serious hubris. He'll conquer their market, steal their market, call the shots, and if the Phoenix guys get in his way, well......that's their tough luck. In Walter's mind. His hubris is going to bite him in the ass HARD. Perhaps it's the Phoenix guys he'll end up having to run from to New Hampshire or wherever he really was in the flash forward.

Gblews, it's not that I think Walter doesn't love his kids, but it's a question of how much. He acted as if Skyler had permanently removed the kids from his life and that they were hidden from him. They're not hidden. He can see them at Hank and Marie's whenever he wants. I just don't get the impression that Walt is aching with loneliness for his kids. I get the impression that Skyler being able to control the situation is what really upsets him more than the kids being gone. The whole "she took my children" bit was for Jesse's benefit. Feel sorry for me. She took my kids and now you're taking my business. Shame on you, Jesse. Guilt, guilt, guilt. If Walt wanted his kids back in the house, he could have them back in the house. Give up the meth and run the car wash.

But Walter wants power and to be in control more than he wants his children close by. Yes, he loves them but--as with Jesse--he loves himself more. Walter has a twisted, dysfunctional affection for Jesse, but it's more that Walt's fragile ego needs someone "on his side," adoring him and respecting him and whatnot. Someone he can boss around. Jesse fills that role if Walt guilts him into sticking around, which he did. In all ways except sexually, Jesse is Walt's girlfriend on the side. They don't understand me, Jesse. My wife doesn't understand me. You understand me. We have each others' backs, right? I wouldn't have it any other way.

Walter.

Best disaster animal relief charity around. Don't forget our animal friends. Donate, train to be a volunteer, or be a foster parent for a displaced pet.
Dorian Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21 2012, 01:45 PM   #277
Robert Maxwell
Respect the Beef

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell

Walt is the king at guilting Jesse into doing what he wants. He takes full advantage of being a father figure to Jesse--and you don't want to disappoint Daddy, do you?

Jesse still calls him "Mr. White," for heaven's sake.

He must remember all the times Walt pulled him out of the fire and saved his life. And all Walt wants to do is have his little empire. "Is that too much to ask, Jesse? I have nothing left but this, and you want to take it away from me?"

I'm expecting that sometime soon Walt will shoot his mouth off and spill to Jesse about Jane. Maybe he'll give a speech to Jesse along the lines of the one he gave to Skyler. "I control you. I own you. You belong to me. You only do what I say. I got rid of Andrea and Brock. I got rid of Jane. I'm the only one who's ever really looked out for you."

At this point, that's probably the only thing that would permanently push Jesse out of Walt's grip.
My blog
Robert Maxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21 2012, 05:17 PM   #278
Harvey
Admiral

I was surprised that we learned more about Walt's involvement with Gray Matter, but pleased to have that backstory filled in. Of course, it's possible that was just for Jesse's benefit, but considering what we've been told about thus far, I suspect it's true.

Walt's totally unlikable at this point, and I don't see redemption in his future. It would take the car wash business a long time to launder five million dollars; three million (or 100 million, split three ways) might be an impossible amount. He's letting hubris get in the way of any sense, and it will be his downfall.

I'm getting a real sense, though, that the flash-forward in the premiere won't be paid off until the finale next year. I just can't imagine the next two episodes being able to grind through enough story to get to that point. Perhaps we'll get another tease in the next two episodes, though.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21 2012, 05:29 PM   #279
Count Zero
Guess who's back

I also suspect that the scene from the premiere will be from the show's finale. It appeals to my sense of symmetry to have the show's ending start with a scene referencing the start of the show (Walt's birthday with his age in bacon on the scrambled eggs).
Old August 22 2012, 08:10 PM   #280
gblews
Rear Admiral

View gblews's Twitter Profile

Dorian Thompson wrote: View Post
Gblews, it's not that I think Walter doesn't love his kids, but it's a question of how much. He acted as if Skyler had permanently removed the kids from his life and that they were hidden from him. They're not hidden. He can see them at Hank and Marie's whenever he wants. I just don't get the impression that Walt is aching with loneliness for his kids.
Conceded, although I do think he still loves them, that love is buried under several other things Walt apparently thinks are more important.

Knowing that his presence alone is keeping his children from being in their home really is making Walt look bad. There is no justification for him staying at the house knowing how it is affecting the kids. What kind of father does this?
gblews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22 2012, 08:17 PM   #281
Count Zero
Guess who's back

It really would have been the best reason for going along with the buy-out. But Walt has lost it and thinks he's in the empire business now.
Old August 22 2012, 08:24 PM   #282
Robert Maxwell
Respect the Beef

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell

Yeah, there is really no excuse for Walt refusing the buyout, if he's really "doing it for the family." He's lost whatever philosophical cover he had from that excuse.
My blog
Old August 22 2012, 09:39 PM   #283
davejames
Vice Admiral

I suspect at this point that Walt knows deep down that this thing isn't going to last forever, and that eventually he'll either get caught, killed, or die from cancer.

He just wants to A) enjoy all the money and power while it lasts, and B) make sure he goes out in as huge and imfamous a way as possible, to show up all the people who screwed him over before.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22 2012, 10:58 PM   #284
Robert Maxwell
Respect the Beef

davejames wrote: View Post
I suspect at this point that Walt knows deep down that this thing isn't going to last forever, and that eventually he'll either get caught, killed, or die from cancer.

He just wants to A) enjoy all the money and power while it lasts, and B) make sure he goes out in as huge and imfamous a way as possible, to show up all the people who screwed him over before.
Could be. Though it's funny how not taking the buyout will most likely keep him from enjoying the money and power. Instead, he'll spend most of his time fearing for his life and plotting to kill others before they can kill him. If he'd just take the damn money, he could enjoy what time he has left and ensure his family's future.

Walt's a smart guy, but by this point his ambition and ego have totally outstripped his intelligence.
My blog
Old August 22 2012, 11:30 PM   #285
Borgminister

Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post

Walt's a smart guy, but by this point his ambition and ego have totally outstripped his intelligence.
Or at the very least, common sense.
Borgminister is offline   Reply With Quote