Beltran Introduces Shakespeare To Theater Group
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Burton To Be Honored at Facets Boo! Bash
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

New Trek Puzzles
By: T'Bonz on Oct 15

Star Trek Online: Delta Rising
By: T'Bonz on Oct 15

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old August 19 2012, 07:20 AM   #256
Trubinator
Rear Admiral

Re: Breaking Bad - Season 5

Geez! So now Walter is inviting Jesse over for dinner just to screw with Skyler. I guess he's eager to reinforce who wears the pants in the house now.
Old August 19 2012, 04:31 PM   #257
InklingStar
Fleet Captain

View InklingStar's Twitter Profile

The wine is all for Skyler.
Old August 19 2012, 04:39 PM   #258
Dorian Thompson
Admiral

Maybe the invite is a last ditch attempt to keep Jesse in the fold and keep manipulating him. Jesse looks like he's freaking out pretty good in the preview. He may--finally--be questioning Walt. Walt can't have that. So it's an invitation to dinner....come on, you know I have your back, trust me, stay in the fold, we're like family, Jesse.....

Walter's ego seemed pretty stoked by the fact that Jesse had "changed his mind about him." Ergo, his boast to Skyler about it. He knows that Skyler isn't on his side anymore, not without coercion. He's in danger of losing his kids. Jesse is the only one left who's still supportive of him, and that connection is in danger of being severed with Todd's murder of the boy on the bike. It may be more ego than real affection for Jesse at this point, but why else invite Jesse to his home after all this time?

Best disaster animal relief charity around. Don't forget our animal friends. Donate, train to be a volunteer, or be a foster parent for a displaced pet.
Dorian Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20 2012, 04:22 AM   #259
Shamrock Bones
Agent Richard07

Did we ever get the story of why Walt sold his shares of the start-up for $5000.? If so, I don't remember the details.

Great cliffhanger by the way. I can't wait to find out what Walt has planned.
Shamrock Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20 2012, 04:36 AM   #260
sidious618
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to sidious618

We don't know for sure but Walt fought with them in the past and possibly had something with Gretchen. I like the ambiguity and I imagine we won't get much more on it but then again I didn't think it'd be brought up again so who knows with this show.
Old August 20 2012, 05:42 AM   #261
Mojochi
Commodore

I feel like I should smelt the metals & forge my own Emmy awards, so I can be sure they get more. It's like they purposely put scenes in every episode that just scream "Greatest show on tv!"
Mojochi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20 2012, 09:03 AM   #262
Dorian Thompson
Admiral

He only brought it up again to manipulate Jesse. I know that Gretchen and whatshisname are wealthy, but the company isn't necessarily worth billions just because Walter says it is. She took my children, the business is all I have left, and now you want to take that from me.

Fuck you, Walter. You guilt trip like the world champion. I knew he'd suck Jesse back in. sigh. For the first time Jesse said the words he needed to say.....is a meth empire something to be proud of? No, it isn't. Walter isn't winning anything. If it were a matter of money, he'd taken the tax free five million and go on with life. He and Skyler have their own business with the car wash. He doesn't have to cow tow to anyone anymore. He could be set--but he's not worried about his family. He despises Skyler and vice versa. It's about power. It's about Walter calling the shots and being right. No one forced Walter to leave Gray Matter. He made a personal decision that turned out very, very badly, but that's on him. He can't turn back the clock with the sleazy meth business.

It's not that he misses his kids. It's that Skyler "took them from him." It's not about wanting Jesse to stay in his life. It's about Walter deciding when and where Jesse walks away, though Jesse provides a much needed ego boost for Walt. I still think there's some twisted affection for Jesse that exists on Walt's part, but he loves himself more at the end of the day.

Todd's annoying. They should have put a cap in his ass. Last but not least, gods but that dinner was painfully, brutally funny and awkward.

Best disaster animal relief charity around. Don't forget our animal friends. Donate, train to be a volunteer, or be a foster parent for a displaced pet.
Dorian Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20 2012, 09:39 AM   #263
Trubinator
Rear Admiral

Well, I'm going to stop posting here until the show is over because I don't want reactionary fan opinions coloring my perception of the show. However, I will say one thing ...

Walter is the man! That is all.
Old August 20 2012, 01:16 PM   #264
Shurik
Fleet Captain

Vince Gilligan said that Walt's story is about going from Mr. Chips to Scarface. Walt is beyond Scarface now. Yes, Tony Montana was an insane and extremely violent junkie, but at least he had some standards, like not willing to kill the kids with that Bolivian journalist. Walt in his current state would've pushed that button.

And I wonder just how desperate Mike is that he listens to Walt's bullshit again and not just shoots him on the spot.
Old August 20 2012, 01:42 PM   #265
THE Robert Maxwell
Reports of my death...

View THE Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to THE Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to THE Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to THE Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to THE Robert Maxwell

Over the course of the Mike's appearances, it's been clear he's getting tired of his job and slowly losing his edge. Letting Lydia live was one example, his desire to get out for some quick cash is another, and now he's going to listen to one more of Walt's hare-brained schemes because he knows if he doesn't, he could simply end up with nothing.

That dinner scene was awesome. Jesse was trying so hard to be a good guest, and Skyler was just having none of it. It was great the way Walt just did it to screw with both of them.

I'm curious, does anyone else know if the little "arc welder" Walt made out of the wires is plausible? That seems like an awful lot of power to be coming out of a standard 120V power supply. It was a pretty badass move, though.

It's never been totally clear why Walt got out of his old company, although it was speculated that Skyler had Walt Jr. and, with all his problems, Walt needed a job with steady income and good insurance. Either that, or something happened between him and Gretchen--maybe it was both. I do hope we find out by the end of the series. I liked the way Jesse brought up the money issue, because I was wondering the same thing myself. "I'm the empire business." Yeah, have fun carrying that massive ego around, Walt. Makes you an easy target.

Trubinator wrote: View Post
Well, I'm going to stop posting here until the show is over because I don't want reactionary fan opinions coloring my perception of the show.
What the heck is that supposed to mean?
Old August 20 2012, 02:59 PM   #266
Mojochi
Commodore

Shurik wrote: View Post
And I wonder just how desperate Mike is that he listens to Walt's bullshit again and not just shoots him on the spot.
He's pretty damn desperate. That said though, Walt has the Methlamine now. Shooting him leaves everyone out any money at all

Isn't anyone else somewhat amused by the fact that Walt is still Heisenberg, ala Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle? It is such a perfect pseudonym for him, seeing how the uncertainty principle deals with how the more closely you try to determine one aspect of something, like a particle's position, the more uncertain you end up being about another aspect of it, like it's momentum

It's like saying Walt is slippery & unpredictable on a goddamn atomic level
Mojochi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20 2012, 03:15 PM   #267
THE Robert Maxwell
Reports of my death...

View THE Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to THE Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to THE Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to THE Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to THE Robert Maxwell

At this point, I have to wonder how anyone can have any sympathy for Walt. As expected, he was able to quickly rationalize the boy's murder, and when given the chance to walk away with $5 million, he turned it down in favor of the promise of even more money. He really thinks he can pull down that $300 million with the methylamine they jacked.

I suspect that next week, he will try to cut a deal with the guys from Phoenix: they buy out Jesse and Mike's share of the methylamine, and Walt instead cooks for the Phoenix market. Feeds right into his "empire building" fantasy.
Old August 20 2012, 05:45 PM   #268
davejames
Vice Admiral

Good episode, but after the brilliance of the train heist episode, I couldn't help but feel a bit disappointed somehow. The killing of that kid was a major, horrific event in the life of the series, and it just felt like it got brushed aside a little too quickly here.

It seemed to me like we really needed an entire episode of them dealing with the immediate aftermath of that, and struggling with what to do about it. And not just 20 minutes or so of cleanup before we're back to making deals, arguing about money, and having awkward dinners at the White household again.

Yeah I get that the kid's death plays a big role in Mike and Jesse wanting to leave the business, but I'm just not sure that was really enough.

Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
I suspect that next week, he will try to cut a deal with the guys from Phoenix: they buy out Jesse and Mike's share of the methylamine, and Walt instead cooks for the Phoenix market. Feeds right into his "empire building" fantasy.
Yeah, that sounds pretty plausible.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20 2012, 06:35 PM   #269
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Walts sob story about how he doesnt have anything but his meth business is obvious rationalization. Walt still has his son, who will soon be off to college anyway, and Skyler cant stop Walt for continuing to have a relationship with his adult son.

Walt should divorce Skyler and get visitation rights with Holly. That five million dollars will ensure his future, his son's college education, Holly's future, easily get him some bimbo trophy wife and a nice mansion in a gated community and private security if he needs it even when he's out of the biz.

Walt's problem is that what he's really after is not money or empire but a sense of self-worth. His amazing blue meth is the most significant invention he's created in his life or is likely to create. Too bad its such a destructive invention instead of something worthwhile.

Walt has a lot if he'd only open his eyes and realize he doesnt need to rationalize his self worth. Just being a good dad is self worth enough, and he's in the process of blowing that. Ultimately he's a pathetic fool chasing a mirage,but he certainly wouldnt be the first.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20 2012, 08:49 PM   #270
gblews
Rear Admiral

View gblews's Twitter Profile

Dorian Thompson wrote: View Post
He despises Skyler and vice versa. It's about power.

It's not that he misses his kids. It's that Skyler "took them from him." It's not about wanting Jesse to stay in his life.
I think that somewhere deep down inside Walt does still care about Skylar. I am almost certain he still cares deeply about his children. It's just that where they and Skylar used to be numero uno in his life, they now have slipped from that position. Walt's ego and need to prove his self worth (agree with Temis here) is now the the thing that drives him.
I still think there's some twisted affection for Jesse that exists on Walt's part,
Walt (still) has affection (twisted or not) for Jesse but not for Skylar and his kids? Makes no sense.
That dinner scene was awesome. Jesse was trying so hard to be a good guest, and Skyler was just having none of it. It was great the way Walt just did it to screw with both of them.
This scene and the one with Skylar and Marie seems like about as close as we'll get to "humor" this season.
I'm curious, does anyone else know if the little "arc welder" Walt made out of the wires is plausible? That seems like an awful lot of power to be coming out of a standard 120V power supply.
Dude--
Agree that Walt has some kind of deal in mind, but how does he make a deal and stay the boss? He made it pretty clear that he likes being in business for himself so I don't see him allowing the Phoenix group any power in his territoty. By the same token, the Phoenix guys either want Walt cooking for them (both Phoenix and Albequrke, however it's spelled) or not at all. Rock and a hard place -- somebody dies.
gblews is offline   Reply With Quote