RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,699
Posts: 5,431,393
Members: 24,831
Currently online: 508
Newest member: Edtrecke


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old August 16 2012, 05:34 AM   #226
sidious618
Admiral
 
sidious618's Avatar
 
Location: New York, US
Send a message via AIM to sidious618
Re: Breaking Bad - Season 5

I liked Hank about halfway through season one when it became obvious that he cared about Walt despite the fact that Walt was pretty cold to him. He became my favorite character (and still is) when he stood up to Walt when Walt was making Walter Jr drink and drink until he barfed. I love the relationship between Walter Jr and Hank- I wish I had an uncle like that when I was young!
__________________
We've met before, haven't we?
sidious618 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 16 2012, 06:07 AM   #227
Roger Wilco
Admiral
 
Roger Wilco's Avatar
 
Re: Breaking Bad - Season 5

I don't see any way for Hank to get out of this with his career intact. How it looks to his colleagues and superios will be, that he was working together with Walt the entire time, and that's why he knew about Gus before anyone else, and it's probably also how he survived the turtle bomb. Plus, he has plenty of enemies in the DEA anyway.
__________________
Don't be a douche.
Roger Wilco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16 2012, 10:19 AM   #228
Trubinator
Rear Admiral
 
Trubinator's Avatar
 
Location: Chico, Calif.
Re: Breaking Bad - Season 5

Hank is an awesome character! You really have to love the guy, and yeah, unfortunately it would seem he's in for some trouble down the road when it comes to dealing with Walt.
__________________
"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."
--Arthur C. Clarke
Trubinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16 2012, 01:45 PM   #229
Robert Maxwell
Not Your Toy
 
Robert Maxwell's Avatar
 
Location: A broken roof
View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell
Re: Breaking Bad - Season 5

Roger Wilco wrote: View Post
I don't see any way for Hank to get out of this with his career intact. How it looks to his colleagues and superios will be, that he was working together with Walt the entire time, and that's why he knew about Gus before anyone else, and it's probably also how he survived the turtle bomb. Plus, he has plenty of enemies in the DEA anyway.
That would be sad and ironic, and not out of line with how this show does things. Hank's kinda been the show's punching bag, after all. I mean, no sooner did he finally get out of bed after recovering from being shot, Walt throws him into a car crash and puts him right back.
__________________
It's all false love and affection
I has a blag.
Robert Maxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16 2012, 03:26 PM   #230
J.T.B.
Commodore
 
J.T.B.'s Avatar
 
Re: Breaking Bad - Season 5

Count Zero wrote: View Post
They scouted out the place after they had spoken with Lydia. I figured that the wagon was usually in the same place of the train because otherwise Jesse being so happy when he counted out the distance wouldn't have made sense.
They were happy because the bridge was within a certain distance from the grade crossing. Apparently they had some idea of the typical train length and a "zone" of where their tank car would be.

Mojochi wrote: View Post
Seems like I recall some reason that Lydia had to be on call until right before the heist, but I can't for the life of me remember if it was over the car placement or something else.
It was the number of the tank car with the methylamine. What's questionable is how they knew that particular car would be within working distance of the their tank setup. I'm sure train buffs could find more to pick, but like Harvey said those sequences deserve a "too good to check" pass.

Justin
J.T.B. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 16 2012, 05:24 PM   #231
Robert Maxwell
Not Your Toy
 
Robert Maxwell's Avatar
 
Location: A broken roof
View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell
Re: Breaking Bad - Season 5

Just had a random thought about the tarantula. The show correctly portrayed that tarantulas are harmless as long as they aren't threatened--the boy was easily able to pick it up and move it around without being bitten. And that made me draw a line to Todd: a guy Walt and Jesse probably thought was harmless, too, up to the point a threat emerged, where he reacted with immediate, deadly force. Much like a tarantula.

Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but if that's how they intended it, it was pretty damn clever. I love all those little touches like that they have on this show. The reference to Heat (as pointed out earlier in the thread) was a great example, too.
__________________
It's all false love and affection
I has a blag.
Robert Maxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16 2012, 05:49 PM   #232
davejames
Vice Admiral
 
Location: Sac, Ca
Re: Breaking Bad - Season 5

Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
Hank really needs to put it together and figure out Walt is Heisenberg, just so we can see Walt being so viciously galled by it.
Well hopefully they don't rush the characters into a confrontation TOO fast. I'd love to see Hank learn the truth but continue to play the clueless brother-in-law around Walt for awhile. And sort of toy with him a little bit, and make him think that maybe he does know something... but Walt can't be totally sure...
davejames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 16 2012, 06:30 PM   #233
Harvey
Admiral
 
Harvey's Avatar
 
Re: Breaking Bad - Season 5

Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
The reference to Heat (as pointed out earlier in the thread) was a great example, too.
That was a nice moment. I also liked the scene of Walt and Jr. watching Scarface this season. "Everyone dies in this movie," points out Walt, oblivious to his own existence. A less subtle moment, to be sure, but still effective.

Of course, both those movies feature actors that have guest starred on the show -- Danny Trejo from Heat and Steven Bauer from Scarface.
__________________
"This begs explanation." - de Forest Research on Star Trek

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16 2012, 06:32 PM   #234
Robert Maxwell
Not Your Toy
 
Robert Maxwell's Avatar
 
Location: A broken roof
View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell
Re: Breaking Bad - Season 5

davejames wrote: View Post
Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
Hank really needs to put it together and figure out Walt is Heisenberg, just so we can see Walt being so viciously galled by it.
Well hopefully they don't rush the characters into a confrontation TOO fast. I'd love to see Hank learn the truth but continue to play the clueless brother-in-law around Walt for awhile. And sort of toy with him a little bit, and make him think that maybe he does know something... but Walt can't be totally sure...
That doesn't strike me as Hank's style. He doesn't "toy" with people, he carefully gathers information until he's ready to use it. If that happens, Walt won't know what hit him.
__________________
It's all false love and affection
I has a blag.
Robert Maxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16 2012, 08:04 PM   #235
gblews
Rear Admiral
 
gblews's Avatar
 
Location: So. Cal.
View gblews's Twitter Profile
Re: Breaking Bad - Season 5

Roger Wilco wrote: View Post
I don't see any way for Hank to get out of this with his career intact. How it looks to his colleagues and superios will be, that he was working together with Walt the entire time, and that's why he knew about Gus before anyone else, and it's probably also how he survived the turtle bomb.
I don't think so. I mean this is one way of viewing the situation and if it were you or I, the DEA would likely see it that way, but Hank is too respected by his peers. Besides, it has already been established (by Hank's team member) that even a good cop can have criminal activity going on 'right under his nose' and not know it
__________________
Duckman: I'll never forget the last thing my father said to me...
Cornfed: "Careful son, I don't think the safety's on"?
Duckman: BEFORE THAT!!!
gblews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16 2012, 08:09 PM   #236
The Habs Fan
Commodore
 
The Habs Fan's Avatar
 
Location: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Re: Breaking Bad - Season 5

I can't believe how good this show is. And it somehow keeps getting better and better. I'll be sad when it's done next year

davejames wrote: View Post
Well hopefully they don't rush the characters into a confrontation TOO fast. I'd love to see Hank learn the truth but continue to play the clueless brother-in-law around Walt for awhile. And sort of toy with him a little bit, and make him think that maybe he does know something... but Walt can't be totally sure...
Here's a crazy theory: what if Hank has already pieced it together and is right now playing the clueless brother-in-law and his partner is in on it as well? He could have left the office on purpose in the hope that Walt did plant something. The writers could be screwing with us.
The Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16 2012, 08:31 PM   #237
Roger Wilco
Admiral
 
Roger Wilco's Avatar
 
Re: Breaking Bad - Season 5

gblews wrote: View Post
I don't think so. I mean this is one way of viewing the situation and if it were you or I, the DEA would likely see it that way, but Hank is too respected by his peers. Besides, it has already been established (by Hank's team member) that even a good cop can have criminal activity going on 'right under his nose' and not know it
Again, I don't know how popular Hank really is with the DEA, he made a lot of people look foolish, and his stint in wherever-it-was (El Paso?) was a disaster.

And there's "under your nose" and then there's "the local DEA boss's brother-in-law is fucking Heisenberg". That's life without parole-territory, not just losing your job in disgrace. That's congressional inquiry and national media frenzy and impeachment territory. Hank has to go down imo, unfair as it is.
__________________
Don't be a douche.
Roger Wilco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16 2012, 09:18 PM   #238
davejames
Vice Admiral
 
Location: Sac, Ca
Re: Breaking Bad - Season 5

The Habs Fan wrote: View Post
Here's a crazy theory: what if Hank has already pieced it together and is right now playing the clueless brother-in-law and his partner is in on it as well? He could have left the office on purpose in the hope that Walt did plant something. The writers could be screwing with us.
Maybe, but from all the recent interviews I've seen (with both Gilligan and Dean Norris), Hank is still very much in the dark.

Of course they could be lying to us, but I kinda doubt it.
davejames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 16 2012, 09:25 PM   #239
Trubinator
Rear Admiral
 
Trubinator's Avatar
 
Location: Chico, Calif.
Re: Breaking Bad - Season 5

The Habs Fan wrote: View Post
I can't believe how good this show is. And it somehow keeps getting better and better. I'll be sad when it's done next year

davejames wrote: View Post
Well hopefully they don't rush the characters into a confrontation TOO fast. I'd love to see Hank learn the truth but continue to play the clueless brother-in-law around Walt for awhile. And sort of toy with him a little bit, and make him think that maybe he does know something... but Walt can't be totally sure...
Here's a crazy theory: what if Hank has already pieced it together and is right now playing the clueless brother-in-law and his partner is in on it as well? He could have left the office on purpose in the hope that Walt did plant something. The writers could be screwing with us.
I also remember the scene with Hank in his boss' office where the guy was telling the story of how Gus Fring was at his party and seemed totally normal. If you watch the scene carefully, you will notice a look on Hank's face where he might be pondering Walter. Also, Hank dropped a line in the most recent episode about "if you have the money."
__________________
"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."
--Arthur C. Clarke
Trubinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16 2012, 11:51 PM   #240
MadOnion
Lieutenant
 
Re: Breaking Bad - Season 5

I hated Hank at first and wanted him to get killed by the cartel. I still don't like him - I don't like the cop personality type in general - but I'm glad they kept him around. He's good tension. As unpredictable as the show is, the season break has got to be the time Hank puts it all together, but I don't think Walt is going to know that he knows yet, because that seems like when Walt will need to go on the run, but its too early for that. We can't have the entire second half being Walt in New Hampshire.
MadOnion is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
breaking bad

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:31 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.