Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Retro Watches
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

New DS9 eBook To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Trek Ice Cube Maker and Shot Glasses
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old August 15 2012, 06:27 PM   #211
Snaploud
Admiral

Re: Breaking Bad - Season 5

PKerr wrote: View Post
Another great episode but I have to be a bit nit picky.

Walt and crew Knew the tanker would be marked but how would anyone but the train line know what position that particular tanker would be in that particular part of the track.
They could have made several stops before that spot on the track and picked up/dropped off more cars or tankers plus the fact that all the measuring in the world isn't going to tell you exactly where the train would stop, what if it stopped another 50-60 feet back?
They only had so much hose, even if they missed it by a few feet the whole caper would be a bust.
I just assumed that all the carts were carrying the same chemical and that there would be access ports all along the train.
Snaploud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 15 2012, 06:39 PM   #212
Harvey
Admiral

That doesn't line up with dialogue, though, which indicated that the hysterical lady needed to tell them which car had the methylamine in it. With that information, I suppose they could have figured out where to put the truck to stop the train -- but since the truck was at a road, that is either extremely lucky or doesn't make sense, either.

They were measuring out distance which led them to pick the spot they chose, but as I recall it that was before the scene (at night) where they got information on the train car's location.

Still, it's hard to fault the show for producing such a dynamic sequence based on a plot hole or two.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15 2012, 06:43 PM   #213
Count Zero
Yeah, I know...

They scouted out the place after they had spoken with Lydia. I figured that the wagon was usually in the same place of the train because otherwise Jesse being so happy when he counted out the distance wouldn't have made sense.
Old August 15 2012, 06:44 PM   #214
Harvey
Admiral

Didn't they make a big deal about how she couldn't tell them where the train car would be until a few hours before the heist, though? Or am I remembering incorrectly?

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15 2012, 09:09 PM   #215
Count Zero
Yeah, I know...

Mmh, I don't quite remember. Sounds like rewatching is required.
Old August 15 2012, 09:41 PM   #216
Trubinator
Rear Admiral

Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
Trubinator wrote: View Post
OK, OK ... here's where I step in to complain, Dorian. For all the complaining about how people don't seem to like Skyler, you really seem to have it in for Walter. What gives?
If it makes you feel any better, I've got it in for Walter, too. I had some sympathy for him in the beginning. Now? Now, I want to see him suffer for what he's done, and then die.

Skyler should pay for her part in it, too.

Mike's no saint, either, and his lifestyle should put him in a grave soon.

Saul's a scumbag who I imagine will keep on scumbagging long after Walt's empire is gone.

Out of those directly involved, though, I think Jesse is the most "salvageable." He tries to do the least bad thing in any given situation, so clearly he's developed a conscience, but it seems fear and moral cowardice keep him from either walking away or outright ending this thing he's helped create.
Interesting. I have to admit I don't agree on all those points, but it's nice to know where people stand nevertheless.
Old August 15 2012, 09:45 PM   #217
Mojochi
Commodore

Seems like I recall some reason that Lydia had to be on call until right before the heist, but I can't for the life of me remember if it was over the car placement or something else. I actually think it was train times. She wasn't going to be sure of exactly when the train would be in the communication dead zone, & was to call them about it shortly before. I could be wrong though

The promo looks rough. Things seem to be spiraling sooner rather than later, which makes sense, since there's only 2 more episodes before the break. Something big & probably something bad is coming.... soon & it might be both a death of someone big, & Hank having the bomb dropped on him

I'm actually worried for Hank now, who I at one time despised, mostly due to the fact that Walt did too, but also because he was somewhat of a racist, chauvinist narrow minded douchebag cop personality. Until recently, his only redeeming quality was that he was a damn good detective. Now I watch him play with the baby & think "Aww you poor blind son of a bitch"

This is going to be a shot straight to the nuts now. It will undermine his own confidence, & the confidence of those around him. It will shatter him & since he is most likely not the crux of the final twist, it makes me worry what his reactions are going to be, & how it will play out for him, & because Marie is not dramatically interesting or worthwhile at all, it makes me wonder if they plan to do something drastic with these two
Mojochi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15 2012, 10:21 PM   #218
Count Zero
Yeah, I know...

I felt similarly about Hank in the beginning but it soon became clear that he's actually a decent man and the only one sticking to his principles (e.g. when he didn't lie about his attack on Jesse). I think that many of the things he says are just part of the tough cop persona thing he has going and it's also part of the teasing with his partner (whose name I've momentarily forgotten).

As for Walt, I was rooting for him pretty much until the end of season 4 but this season there is really nothing redeeming about him at all anymore. He's gone mad with the potential power he thinks he can wield.
Old August 16 2012, 12:11 AM   #219
davejames
Vice Admiral

Yeah, now that Gus is out of the way he seems to think it is just clear sailing.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16 2012, 12:16 AM   #220
Snaploud
Admiral

The weirdest part is how calm he is living in a house with Skyler...the person with the most reason to have him killed. Though, I suppose a lot of abusers put themselves in such positions. Gus was smart enough to live alone, though.
Snaploud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 16 2012, 01:00 AM   #221
davejames
Vice Admiral

Snaploud wrote: View Post
The weirdest part is how calm he is living in a house with Skyler...the person with the most reason to have him killed. Though, I suppose a lot of abusers put themselves in such positions. Gus was smart enough to live alone, though.
Well he's not concerned about much more obvious threats that could come from other drug dealers, powerful drug cartels, or the cops, so I'm sure any danger posed by Skyler isn't even on his radar right now.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16 2012, 01:02 AM   #222
Robert Maxwell
Not Your Toy

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell

Snaploud wrote: View Post
Skyler's never made a violent move toward anyone on this show, so why would he expect anything like that from her?

Plus, he seems to think he's got her pretty cowed at the moment.
My blog
Robert Maxwell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 16 2012, 02:44 AM   #223
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

Count Zero wrote: View Post
I felt similarly about Hank in the beginning but it soon became clear that he's actually a decent man and the only one sticking to his principles (e.g. when he didn't lie about his attack on Jesse).
I also disliked Hank in the beginning because he seemed like a typical meathead cop, but it was during the scene when he broke down to Marie and revealed all the baggage he had been carrying since killing Tuco that I realised what a great character he was, and that he was one of my favourites on the show. Just minutes later, I was absolutely dreading that he was about to be taken out by the cousins, so that was perfect timing by the writers, to make me realise just how much I cared about the character before bringing him to the brink of death.

Thematically, Jesse killing or somehow bringing down Walt makes the most sense for the show, but I really, really hope that Hank plays an important role in it. That guy deserves a major win after all that shit he has been through thanks to Walt.
Old August 16 2012, 02:56 AM   #224
Robert Maxwell
Not Your Toy

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell

I had the same initial impression of Hank, too, but I've really warmed up to him over the course of the show. He seems like one of those guys who wasn't born smart, but instead succeeds through dogged determination. I've always liked that contrast between Hank and Walt. Walt's smart but undone by his own arrogance; Hank is humble and works at what he does, and he does it well.

Hank really needs to put it together and figure out Walt is Heisenberg, just so we can see Walt being so viciously galled by it.
My blog
Robert Maxwell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 16 2012, 04:55 AM   #225
Dorian Thompson
Admiral

Hank's rough around the edges by half, but he's a good person. A better person than Walter, that's for sure. Of course, that's not saying much these days. I, too, had some sympathy for Walt. I really did......and then there was the Lily of the Valley on his patio.

Even in this universe of compromised morals in which we judge our characters, that was the lowest of the low. Walt's no different from Todd. Walter was perfectly willing to poison a child, and if that child died so be it. He rationalized his behavior by thinking that he had a right to do it because it would (hopefully) cause Jesse to blame Gus and be angry enough to take him out. Brock posed no immediate threat of discovery to Walt. He was an arbitrary victim who suited Walter's needs. Who cared if it tore Jesse to pieces emotionally? Certainly not Walt. He'd be there to "comfort" him. I wanted to throw a tire iron at Walt's head as he sat there rubbing Jesse's shoulders while "forgiving" him for pointing the gun at him. I wouldn't trade a thing Jesse--us working together, having each others' backs. What a phony.

There's still some sick, twisted affection for Jesse in Walt, but he doesn't care about him more than he cares about himself. Walter doesn't care for anyone more than himself. If he did, he'd give up the meth manufacturing and run the car wash with Skyler. He has a source of income. What he wants is power.

Best disaster animal relief charity around. Don't forget our animal friends. Donate, train to be a volunteer, or be a foster parent for a displaced pet.
Dorian Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote