February IDW Publishing Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

Retro Review: The Siege of AR-558
By: Michelle on Nov 15

Trevco Full Bleed Uniform T-Shirts
By: T'Bonz on Nov 14

Wheaton Buys Wesley Crusher Hoodie
By: T'Bonz on Nov 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old August 11 2012, 02:20 AM   #136
Dorian Thompson
Admiral

Re: Breaking Bad - Season 5

I suspect that's Mr. Gilligan's intention.

Best disaster animal relief charity around. Don't forget our animal friends. Donate, train to be a volunteer, or be a foster parent for a displaced pet.
Dorian Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11 2012, 02:27 AM   #137
MadOnion
Lieutenant

Remember the money is being laundered through the car wash. If the IRS accepts that, it doesn't matter what they spend the money on. The danger from the IRS would be noticing that the car wash is far too profitable for a similar business of its type. If they accept the profit figures, buying cars is not a problem.

The danger of buying expensive cars is more for people that know them. If Hank finds out they paid for his therapy, Walt paid for his own treatment, plus the expensive cars, etc. he might put things together. This is what I expect, as Hank has already shown business specific knowledge as per the electric capacity in the laundry. I think somehow Hank is going to see the books for the car wash and figure out something is just not right.
MadOnion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11 2012, 06:59 AM   #138
WeAreTheBorg
Vice Admiral

Dorian Thompson wrote: View Post
Yeah but it's to the point where I'm not enjoying it.

As a counter point, my favourite episode of BSG is Sometimes a Great Notion, where most of the main cast is depressed, suicidal (and one goes through with it), hopeless and mired in nihilism. And I believed every bit of it and felt their pain, but it was rivetting and absorbing and entertaining.

But this season of BB so far is leaving me cold and disturbed after every closing credits. I need some good news soon.
Old August 11 2012, 08:51 PM   #139
Robert Maxwell
beep

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell

WeAreTheBorg wrote: View Post

As a counter point, my favourite episode of BSG is Sometimes a Great Notion, where most of the main cast is depressed, suicidal (and one goes through with it), hopeless and mired in nihilism. And I believed every bit of it and felt their pain, but it was rivetting and absorbing and entertaining.

But this season of BB so far is leaving me cold and disturbed after every closing credits. I need some good news soon.
What kind of "good news" would you be looking for?
Old August 11 2012, 09:30 PM   #140
Dorian Thompson
Admiral

I can't see any way that this story ends well. Walt and Skyler aren't going to be reconciling. Walter is willing to push the envelope further and further and get more violent in his professional and, increasingly, in his personal life. He doesn't love his wife anymore. Hank and the DEA are still going to be on his tail. Walt either gets caught and goes to prison, gets killed by some other drug dealer he's pissed off, gets rejected by that annoying son of his when Walt Jr's finally forced to see that his dad isn't perfect; he never sees Holly again, or his cancer comes back. Or all of the above.

I can't see Walter's personal character shining through any time soon. I believed him when he said he'd have Skyler committed and I wouldn't put it past him to put ricin in one of her cigarettes if he's afraid she'll confess all to Hank. Would he harm Hank if it came down to it being the only option to keep from being discovered? Once upon a time I'd have said no, but now I'm not so sure. That's some heady arrogance Walter's got going on. He wants to keep doing what he's doing.

Maybe he'll have pity on Jesse at the last minute and push him away from the drug life?? That's the only good act I can imagine Walt still capable of once everything's stripped away. For the time being, anway.

Best disaster animal relief charity around. Don't forget our animal friends. Donate, train to be a volunteer, or be a foster parent for a displaced pet.
Old August 11 2012, 10:03 PM   #141
sidious618
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to sidious618

There must be something wrong with me because while I find the show dark, I don't find it that dark. I actually get a lot of laughs out of it ("Not that Marie is the poster child for mental health." ) and genuinely look forward to the show every week.
Old August 11 2012, 10:05 PM   #142
Robert Maxwell
beep

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell

Yeah, none of these people are worth looking up to (except maybe Hank) but it is compelling as hell to watch.
Old August 11 2012, 10:11 PM   #143
sidious618
Admiral

Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
Yeah, none of these people are worth looking up to (except maybe Hank) but it is compelling as hell to watch.
Yeah, Hank is the only decent guy on the show and, admittedly, he is pretty decent. He cares about Walt even though Walt has always been cold to him. I do feel a lot for Jesse but I'd never look up to the guy. Marie is a good person but I don't know that anyone should look up to her.
Old August 11 2012, 10:31 PM   #144
Dorian Thompson
Admiral

Oh, I enjoy it, too. I just think Walter is royally screwed no matter what happens, and deservedly so. A character can be compelling even if he isn't likable. Walt's compelling in the extreme, but he's not likable. Hank's likable. Jesse's likable. Walt.....Walt's not likable.

Hank's the only one with clean hands. I like Jesse well enough (he does have that intangible lost puppy quality) but he's not to be looked up to either. It's too easy to forget that Jesse deals drugs.

Old August 12 2012, 12:33 AM   #145
gblews
Rear Admiral

View gblews's Twitter Profile

WeAreTheBorg wrote: View Post

I need some good news soon.
Then I would advise looking elsewhere because this thing is only going to get worse -- much worse.
gblews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12 2012, 01:26 AM   #146
MadOnion
Lieutenant

It's too easy to forget that Jesse deals drugs.
Its even easier to forget Jesse killed a guy. Arguably one of the most innocent people ever to be killed on the show. And a Star Trek fan.
MadOnion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12 2012, 05:13 PM   #147
InklingStar
Fleet Captain

View InklingStar's Twitter Profile

Never forget.
Old August 12 2012, 08:28 PM   #148
Shurik
Fleet Captain

^ This is brilliant.
Old August 12 2012, 08:40 PM   #149
sidious618
Admiral

That was such a brilliant scene in the show. So sad and yet hilarious. I love that they gave us a longer video of it.
Old August 12 2012, 09:00 PM   #150
Roger Wilco
Admiral

stj wrote: View Post
I'm disappointed but not surprised to hear that people love Walt and hate Skylar. This is a new age and the morality which admires winners is ever more dominant. That's why I think it's very likely that Walt will win, in some fashion or other. He may have killed Jesse, Skylar, Mike, Hankd and Saul and lost Junior and Holly, so that the writers can tell themselves they're writing a tragic end. But there is an excellent chance Walt will walk into the sunset. There's even a chance there will be a wild contortion of the plot so that Walt's effort to protect someone in the flashforward is foreshadowing his makeshift redemption.
"Nothing stops the train. Nothing."

Walt said it right there in the last episode. There are only three ways for a criminal career to end - walking away, death or prison, and Walt clearly can't even entertain the thought of the first.