RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 147,060
Posts: 5,803,897
Members: 26,066
Currently online: 450
Newest member: ravenoflocksley

TrekToday headlines

Retro Review: Learning Curve
By: Michelle on Jul 31

Star Trek: The Exhibition In Washington State
By: T'Bonz on Jul 31

August-September 2015 Trek Conventions And Appearances
By: T'Bonz on Jul 31

Shatner To Pen Book On Nimoy
By: T'Bonz on Jul 31

Star Trek Beyond Building Continues
By: T'Bonz on Jul 31

Trinneer In Western Horror
By: T'Bonz on Jul 30

Beam Me Up Scotty Figurines
By: T'Bonz on Jul 30

UK Auction To Feature Spock Costume
By: T'Bonz on Jul 30

Pine To Star In Wonder Woman
By: T'Bonz on Jul 29

Pegg Teases Elba Character
By: T'Bonz on Jul 29


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Enterprise

Enterprise The final frontier has a new beginning in this forum!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old January 15 2015, 08:57 PM   #1
Yosam
Ensign
 
What's the song Trip is playing at the beginning of Precious Cargo?

Anyone know what song he is playing on the harmonica?
Yosam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16 2015, 09:14 PM   #2
ChristopherPike
Rear Admiral
 
ChristopherPike's Avatar
 
Re: What's the song Trip is playing at the beginning of Precious Cargo

It's probably called "I've Got Those...
Blues"

Better go eat some Pecan Pie. Take my mind off of it.
__________________
STAR TREK: ENTERPRISE Season 5 on Netflix Facebook page
ChristopherPike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16 2015, 09:25 PM   #3
T'Girl
Vice Admiral
 
T'Girl's Avatar
 
Location: Looking for somewhere to put my urine sample down
Re: What's the song Trip is playing at the beginning of Precious Cargo

It's either a song in the public domain, or one that was composed for the show.

It's unlikely (but not impossible) that TPTB would want to pay a royalty for a modern piece of music.

T'Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16 2015, 09:37 PM   #4
Kobayshi Maru
Commodore
 
Location: France
Re: What's the song Trip is playing at the beginning of Precious Cargo

It doesn't ring any bells, even after listening to it in a loop for ten minutes. I've grown to hate it though.
Kobayshi Maru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17 2015, 01:50 PM   #5
M
Vice Admiral
 
M's Avatar
 
Location: MESSIAH!
Re: What's the song Trip is playing at the beginning of Precious Cargo

I'd say it's just a random blues rhythm, not a particular song. It sounds familiar because so many songs are based on similar chords. I liked the scene and that little piece of music. I forgot, are there later points in the series where we see Trip pick up the harmonica?
__________________
Bashir: »Out of all the stories you told me, which ones were true and which ones weren't?«
Garak: »My dear doctor, they're all true.«
Bashir: »Even the lies?«
Garak: »Especially the lies.«
M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17 2015, 02:09 PM   #6
Kobayshi Maru
Commodore
 
Location: France
Re: What's the song Trip is playing at the beginning of Precious Cargo

M wrote: View Post
I'd say it's just a random blues rhythm, not a particular song. It sounds familiar because so many songs are based on similar chords. I liked the scene and that little piece of music. I forgot, are there later points in the series where we see Trip pick up the harmonica?
I think this is the only time we see him playing it. Later, in the "cowboy" episode of season 3, he barters it for renting a horse.
Kobayshi Maru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17 2015, 02:34 PM   #7
Melakon
Admiral
 
Melakon's Avatar
 
Location: Unmarked grave
Re: What's the song Trip is playing at the beginning of Precious Cargo

It's probably a dummy harmonica incapable of sound (as it was in "North Star"), with the music either composed or improvised by an unknown musician during the recording session.
__________________
Dr. Howard, Dr. Fine, Dr. Howard: For duty and humanity! --Men in Black (1934)
Melakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17 2015, 02:41 PM   #8
Kobayshi Maru
Commodore
 
Location: France
Re: What's the song Trip is playing at the beginning of Precious Cargo

Melakon wrote: View Post
It's probably a dummy harmonica incapable of sound (as it was in "North Star"), with the music either composed or improvised by an unknown musician during the recording session.
You're right, there's no reason why it should be different in one episode from the other.
Kobayshi Maru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17 2015, 03:03 PM   #9
Melakon
Admiral
 
Melakon's Avatar
 
Location: Unmarked grave
Re: What's the song Trip is playing at the beginning of Precious Cargo

I'm not sure where I'm remembering the dummy harmonica from. It may be in the season's special features or commentary, I'm not finding it at Memory Alpha. I think the "North Star" prop was a model by the actual manufacturer, containing no reeds, and specifically designed for use in theatrical productions.
__________________
Dr. Howard, Dr. Fine, Dr. Howard: For duty and humanity! --Men in Black (1934)
Melakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17 2015, 03:23 PM   #10
Kobayshi Maru
Commodore
 
Location: France
Re: What's the song Trip is playing at the beginning of Precious Cargo

Melakon wrote: View Post
I'm not sure where I'm remembering the dummy harmonica from. It may be in the season's special features or commentary, I'm not finding it at Memory Alpha. I think the "North Star" prop was a model by the actual manufacturer, containing no reeds, and specifically designed for use in theatrical productions.
They record the sounds and voices separately as it is then easier to dub the movies for foreign countries. Otherwise they would have to re-record the sounds each time they create a new version, which wouldn't be cost effective, so it really doesn't matter if the prop makes any noise.
Kobayshi Maru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17 2015, 03:50 PM   #11
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral
 
Mr. Laser Beam's Avatar
 
Location: The visitor's bullpen
View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile
Re: What's the song Trip is playing at the beginning of Precious Cargo

Kobayshi Maru wrote: View Post
They record the sounds and voices separately as it is then easier to dub the movies for foreign countries.
Well, not exactly, I mean it's not like every word of dialogue we ever hear is dubbed. Some things like the harmonica, which can't be clearly picked up via the studio microphones, would be dubbed, but most of the dialogue isn't. Except in special cases.
__________________
"But here you are, in the ninth
Two men out and three men on
Nowhere to look but inside
Where we all respond to PRESSURE!" - Billy Joel
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17 2015, 04:09 PM   #12
Kobayshi Maru
Commodore
 
Location: France
Re: What's the song Trip is playing at the beginning of Precious Cargo

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
Kobayshi Maru wrote: View Post
They record the sounds and voices separately as it is then easier to dub the movies for foreign countries.
Well, not exactly, I mean it's not like every word of dialogue we ever hear is dubbed. Some things like the harmonica, which can't be clearly picked up via the studio microphones, would be dubbed, but most of the dialogue isn't. Except in special cases.
I am sorry, but every voice is dubbed, even the background chatter that you can barely make out. Whatever you do make out, definitely sounds French (if you're watching the French version of course).
Kobayshi Maru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17 2015, 04:15 PM   #13
Melakon
Admiral
 
Melakon's Avatar
 
Location: Unmarked grave
Re: What's the song Trip is playing at the beginning of Precious Cargo

There's always going to be ambient room noise when on a soundstage, so some sounds, like opening a drawer, or taking off a coat, are going to be authentic. But the trend for added sounds through dubbing, done by Foley artists, has increased to the point where additional sounds might be added during removal of the coat, like layering in the sound of a dangling zipper tab. That's just with productions set in present day.

With science fiction, there are going to be possibly dozens of sounds added in a simple scene, like internal spaceship noise, buttons pressed, huge mechanical doors opening, etc. Much of the time it's just dependent on budget and how inventive the Foley artists get.

The term ADR seems to be appearing more often than Foley sometimes, but I always thought ADR dealt mostly with looping dialogue that wasn't clearly picked up on the stage.
__________________
Dr. Howard, Dr. Fine, Dr. Howard: For duty and humanity! --Men in Black (1934)
Melakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17 2015, 06:16 PM   #14
Kobayshi Maru
Commodore
 
Location: France
Re: What's the song Trip is playing at the beginning of Precious Cargo

Melakon wrote: View Post
There's always going to be ambient room noise when on a soundstage, so some sounds, like opening a drawer, or taking off a coat, are going to be authentic. But the trend for added sounds through dubbing, done by Foley artists, has increased to the point where additional sounds might be added during removal of the coat, like layering in the sound of a dangling zipper tab. That's just with productions set in present day.

With science fiction, there are going to be possibly dozens of sounds added in a simple scene, like internal spaceship noise, buttons pressed, huge mechanical doors opening, etc. Much of the time it's just dependent on budget and how inventive the Foley artists get.

The term ADR seems to be appearing more often than Foley sometimes, but I always thought ADR dealt mostly with looping dialogue that wasn't clearly picked up on the stage.
You know, they usually do a great job of it. For instance when the people are outdoor, the voices (the dubbed voices) really sound outdoorish even though they probably recorded them in a studio.
Kobayshi Maru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17 2015, 08:57 PM   #15
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral
 
Mr. Laser Beam's Avatar
 
Location: The visitor's bullpen
View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile
Re: What's the song Trip is playing at the beginning of Precious Cargo

Melakon wrote: View Post
The term ADR seems to be appearing more often than Foley sometimes, but I always thought ADR dealt mostly with looping dialogue that wasn't clearly picked up on the stage.
It does. They will loop dialogue that gets muffled or distorted, but most of what we hear is also what was spoken onstage.

And of course all foreign language versions are dubbed. That must be what Mr. Maru is talking about.
__________________
"But here you are, in the ninth
Two men out and three men on
Nowhere to look but inside
Where we all respond to PRESSURE!" - Billy Joel
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:08 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.