Trek 3 To Being Shooting Next Year
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Trek Messenger Bag
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

Star Trek Live In Concert In Australia
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

IDW Publishing December Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Sep 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old July 8 2012, 10:16 PM   #46
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Re: Farscape... I am liking this series...

There's another thread right now postulating about a remake of Babylon 5, but of all the possibilities out there, I think Farscape has the most going for it. The TV market has fundamentally changed so much in the past ten years that the "narrowness" of the show's appeal is now an advantage, on cable.

If any cable channel wants a sci fi version of Game of Thrones (in terms of color, intrigue, weirdness and adult themes), Farscape is the property that would best lend itself to being shaped in that direction. I'm thinking HBO, Showtime, Starz, AMC or FX a lot more than SyFy. FX in particular, with their male-skewing audience, should being doing more sci fi.

Henson could continue the storyline with Crichton, Aeryn and lil D, with everyone aged about ten years (just right for the kid to be a full fledged character now), still interacting with the same menagerie of species and empires. The other major characters (who are still alive) could have recurring roles as needed, with new ones added into the mix.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8 2012, 10:21 PM   #47
RoJoHen
Awesome

I have often thought about a Farscape 2.0-type series. I actually used to get really funny Farscape vibes while watching Chuck - Chuck as the human out of his element, Sarah as the Peacekeeper, and Casey as the Luxan antagonist-turned-best friend.

I definitely don't want Farscape being remade, but I think a sequel series would be a fantastic idea.
Old July 9 2012, 01:09 AM   #48
Kegg
Rear Admiral

The weirdest thing for me regarding objections to Farscape's puppets is simply how universally Yoda is beloved. There really aren't many more mainstream space opera aliens than Franz Oz's space zen master, and here's puppets made by the same company and, in the case of Rygel, giving every bit as good (if not better) animatronic performances... so what's the deal?

Temis the Vorta wrote: View Post
FX in particular, with their male-skewing audience, should being doing more sci fi.
Timothy Olyphant is John Crichton...

*cough*

Henson could continue the storyline with Crichton, Aeryn and lil D, with everyone aged about ten years (just right for the kid to be a full fledged character now), still interacting with the same menagerie of species and empires.
That could work for us, that is, fans of the original Farscape, but surely by this point if they were reviving Farscape they'd want to also appeal to people who've never seen the show.

Really, either a remake, or at least a series that adds another human character with more up-to-date pop culture quips might be needed.
Old July 9 2012, 02:27 AM   #49
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

The weirdest thing for me regarding objections to Farscape's puppets is simply how universally Yoda is beloved.
Not universally, but the complaints I've heard generally focus on the CGI version of the prequels. Everyone loves the muppet.

That could work for us, that is, fans of the original Farscape, but surely by this point if they were reviving Farscape they'd want to also appeal to people who've never seen the show.
A family living in space, with Dad being an astronaut and Mom being an alien warrior woman, has just as much chance of being appealing as any premise I could think of. You wouldn't need to know how the heck Dad got out there, other than, "he got lost." The family is just the group around which adventures occur, just like the escaped prisoners were the group in the original premise. It's an excuse to throw people together.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9 2012, 03:00 AM   #50
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Maureen Robinson had a well used laser Rifle.

Although...

I wish there had been an episode where she balled her fist and decked Dr Smith.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 9 2012, 03:02 AM   #51
RoJoHen
Awesome

Yeah, you wouldn't really need knowledge of the original show for a Farscape sequel to work, especially if you put 10+ years between it and "The Peacekeeper Wars." After that much time, you really don't need any backstory.
Old July 9 2012, 05:00 AM   #52
JD
Admiral

If they built the series off of what I read about Areyn's status in the last one or two arcs of comics, I could see it being very interesting.
Old July 9 2012, 03:38 PM   #53
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
Yes, but you need to wait two years after viewing Season 4 before you are allowed to watch The Peacekeeper Wars. It's only fair.
Talk about cruel and unusual punishment inflicted by Cancelation Cliffhanger. One of the absolute cruelest in the history of cancelled TV. Thank God, they only made us wait two years, instead of never resolving it.

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9 2012, 03:47 PM   #54
Joerib
Lieutenant

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
Yes, but you need to wait two years after viewing Season 4 before you are allowed to watch The Peacekeeper Wars. It's only fair.
LOL
Joerib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9 2012, 04:27 PM   #55
Mach5
Rear Admiral

Sindatur wrote: View Post
Thank God, they only made us wait two years, instead of never resolving it.
I think I would have turned gray, had I actually had to wait two years.

It took me about three weeks to go through all of Farscape (on DVD), and I must say i miss the ride. It was awesome.
Old July 9 2012, 05:02 PM   #56
Serial thread killer
Rear Admiral

View Serial thread killer's Twitter Profile

I've just finished watching farscape, I had to say at first I had trouble getting into it, I really did not like the characters but I'm glad I kept with it.
Malcolm on Star Wars: "The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin. His father's a robot and he's fucking fucked his sister. Lego. They're all made of fucking lego."
Serial thread killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9 2012, 05:10 PM   #57
Kegg
Rear Admiral

Temis the Vorta wrote: View Post
The weirdest thing for me regarding objections to Farscape's puppets is simply how universally Yoda is beloved.
Not universally, but the complaints I've heard generally focus on the CGI version of the prequels. Everyone loves the muppet.
Well, I've also heard of people having issues with the puppet used in The Phantom Menace, but that was a reaction to that specific puppet, not to the idea that a puppet Zen master is inherently too silly to watch.

If you can buy Yoda, I can't process why you can't buy Rygel is the gist of my argument there. (Dislike Rygel, sure, but what's wrong with his puppetry?)

A family living in space, with Dad being an astronaut and Mom being an alien warrior woman, has just as much chance of being appealing as any premise I could think of. You wouldn't need to know how the heck Dad got out there, other than, "he got lost." The family is just the group around which adventures occur,.
So... Lost In Space. Yeah, I guess I could see that. They'd want new characters and all, though.
Old April 20 2013, 03:13 AM   #58
Gary7
Rear Admiral

I just finished Season One of Farscape (on Hulu). I had a few sporadic episode viewings back in the days when I had access to SciFi (SyFy) and enjoyed it, but somehow just didn't get around to watching it regularly.

Having started from the beginning and getting to know the characters... I have to say that I'm much more impressed this time around. And deeply saddened to know it had a brief 4 Seasons. This was GREAT SCI-FI!! It had so many terrific elements going for it.

Anyway, seems like the main actors haven't had too much traction on work these days. If only a Farscape movie could be made... I'm fairly confident they'd be able to get at least Browder, Black, Simcoe, and Hey. Too bad about Hardy... although if they could get someone with a similar voice, the puppet would do the rest.
Old April 20 2013, 04:14 AM   #59
Marc
Fleet Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Marc

Gary7 wrote: View Post
Anyway, seems like the main actors haven't had too much traction on work these days. If only a Farscape movie could be made... I'm fairly confident they'd be able to get at least Browder, Black, Simcoe, and Hey. Too bad about Hardy... although if they could get someone with a similar voice, the puppet would do the rest.
Think Browder keeps reasonably busy (most recently seen in Doctor Who and Arrow) and Virginia Hey has had a good career but has had health problems in recent years (some of them due to the make up she wore on Farscape) and Claudia Black has done tv and video game voicing.

Anthony Simcoe doesn't seem to have much tv work in recent years.

Pres. Merkin P. Muffly
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21 2013, 04:27 AM   #60
Gary7
Rear Admiral

Knowing Browder's schedule and his apparent positive attitude towards revisiting Farscape, I think that's the biggest plus and would go a long way to rallying interest from other Farscape acting veterans. Wow, hadn't heard that Hey suffered health problems from her make-up. That's quite surprising, given how advanced makeup has become these days (a very long way from the Tinman syndrome--aluminum dust!).