Trek UglyDolls First Look
By: T'Bonz on Oct 29

New Star Trek Select Action Figure

Trek Actors In Elsa & Fred

The Red Shirt Diaries #9
By: T'Bonz on Oct 28

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old July 30 2014, 08:40 PM   #871
Shamrock Bones
Agent Richard07

Re: Marvel planning Guardians of the Galaxy movie!

Grading thread is up.
Shamrock Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30 2014, 08:46 PM   #872
shivkala
Rear Admiral

^
Don't forget Spider-Man Unlimited! Or, rather, do continue to forget it.

I think we need to retire the "Company X is better at Thing A, while Company Z is better at Thing B" argument. I've been guilty of using it before, but at this point, both Marvel and DC have put out great, good, okay, poor, and "KILL IT WITH FIRE!" products in both animated and live action forms. For every X-Men/X2/X-Men: First Class/X-Men Days of Future Past there's been an X-Men: The Last Stand. For every Batman Begins/The Dark Knight there's been a Batman and Robin. And this is just scratching the surface, we could go on with all the good and bad each company has done in terms of TV and movies.

The "Marvel does better at live action than animation" argument should have gone out the window in the 90's with the X-Men and Spider-Man animated shows, and been given a proper burial recently with The Spectacular Spider-Man and Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes.

At this point, I'm less disappointed that Jeph Loeb is behind the GotG cartoon than I am that Marvel feels all the animated shows should have the same feel. I was not sold on Teen Titans when it first premiered, partly because I couldn't understand why DC was going with a "Cutsy Japanse-like" feel for the show versus the Bruce Timm/Paul Dini-verse feel of Batman/Superman/Justice League. I came to love Teen Titans for its uniqueness and I was sad to see it end, again, because it was so different than Justice League Unlimited (which I loved, too).

When all the shows have the same feel, they lose their uniqueness. Granted, the shows are different enough, but their overall feel, right down to how they start the show/handle the titles makes them less unique and therefore less entertaining. Marvel's been especially problematic with this down to re-dubbing the voice of Spider-Man in Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes to replace Spectacular Spider-Man's Josh Keaton with Ultimate Spider-Man's Drake Bell.

Now, of course, you could argue that I'm not complaining that the style set-forth in Batman the Animated Series, along with the voice actors were used in Superman the Animated Series and Justice League/Justice League Unlimited. And, I'd agree with you that I have a bias, because I loved those shows. I also did not bring up the fact that the 90's Spider-Man/X-Men cartoons had similarities, as well. I will totally admit that this is an area where I am prejudiced, but it seems I am not alone in loving those shows and not enjoying the newer shows.

"But, shivkala, don't you get it, those shows aren't for you!" is the inevitable argument. And, my sons (10 and 6) seem to support that, as they enjoy the shows.

So, perhaps the greatest sin of all of this is the fact that it's causing my to prejudge the cartoon at its inception.
"When I reach for the edge of the universe, I do it knowing that along some paths of cosmic discovery, there are times when, at least for now, one must be content to love the questions themselves." --Neil deGrasse Tyson
shivkala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30 2014, 09:57 PM   #873
Corran Horn
Vice Admiral

That's a good point about kids. My own don't say SSM is better than USM - they enjoy both shows. Imagine that!
Old July 31 2014, 02:27 AM   #874
Chris3123
Vice Admiral

After reading this I checked Rotten Tomatoes: It's currently at 94%! (59 fresh, 4 rotten).

While this isn't the final score (plenty more reviews will be coming in), it's gives a general idea of what the final consensus might be. Here are the RT scores for the previous MCU movies, for comparison:

Iron Man - 93%
The Incredible Hulk - 67%
Iron Man 2 - 73%
Thor - 77%
Captain America: TFA - 79%
The Avengers - 92%
Iron Man 3 - 78%
Thor: TDW - 65%
Captain America: TWS - 89%

GotG could very well end up as the highest-scored MCU film on RT, as long as there aren't too many negative reviews.
Chris3123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31 2014, 02:58 AM   #875
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

It's certainly very encouraging. Although the initial score tends to drop a touch as time goes on.
Old July 31 2014, 06:59 AM   #876
bigboojeg
Vice Admiral

I don't know if this was mentioned here. I avoid movie threads of movies soon to be released but I came across some news about the GotG post credits scene.

bigboojeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31 2014, 04:38 PM   #877
Spocktoberfest
Captain

Chris3123 wrote: View Post
GotG could very well end up as the highest-scored MCU film on RT, as long as there aren't too many negative reviews.
FSM will still hate it.
Old July 31 2014, 07:43 PM   #878
The Dead Mixer
Vice Admiral

bbjeg wrote: View Post
I don't know if this was mentioned here. I avoid movie threads of movies soon to be released but I came across some news about the GotG post credits scene.

NNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!
Old July 31 2014, 09:00 PM   #879
Fist McStrongpunch
Rear Admiral

The Old Mixer wrote: View Post

NNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!
Old July 31 2014, 11:20 PM   #880
Chris3123
Vice Admiral

Alidar Jarok wrote: View Post
It's certainly very encouraging. Although the initial score tends to drop a touch as time goes on.
Yep, it's currently down to 89%.
Chris3123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1 2014, 01:19 AM   #881
Davros
Fleet Admiral

Yahoo!!!!
Old August 1 2014, 09:47 AM   #882
RJDementia13
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

Fist McStrongpunch wrote: View Post
Old August 1 2014, 01:24 PM   #883
Fist McStrongpunch
Rear Admiral

Well, they certainly already know what not to do.
Old August 1 2014, 07:45 PM   #884
The Dead Mixer
Vice Admiral

RJDiogenes wrote: View Post
Fist McStrongpunch wrote: View Post

But really, I was mostly just joking.
Old August 2 2014, 12:38 AM   #885
shivkala
Rear Admiral

After having seen the movie and having recently re-read the beginning of this thread, I hope those that posted their doubts back in 2012 will go and see the movie. Even more, I hope they enjoy it. I know there will be those who disagree, but I firmly believe this is one hell of a fun movie.
"When I reach for the edge of the universe, I do it knowing that along some paths of cosmic discovery, there are times when, at least for now, one must be content to love the questions themselves." --Neil deGrasse Tyson
shivkala is offline   Reply With Quote