USS Excelsior Model Coming Soon
By: T'Bonz on Feb 25

Hemsworth To Host SNL

Quinto To Guest Star On HBO Comedy

Wheaton To Voice Firefly Game
By: T'Bonz on Feb 24

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy All your nerd stuff goes here.

Old July 26 2014, 04:29 PM   #856
Enterprise1701
Fleet Captain

Re: Marvel planning Guardians of the Galaxy movie!

^Excellent.
Enterprise1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26 2014, 07:48 PM   #857
Enterprise is Great
Rear Admiral

Disney XD making "Guardians of the Galaxy" animated series
Old July 26 2014, 10:50 PM   #858
kirk55555
Commodore

I'd be excited, but it will probably be made by the same people (and be in the same universe as) Ultimate Spider-Man and avengers Assemble, which suck. Marvel has been as bad at animated stuff as it is good with live action stuff for awhile. There can obviously be good Marvel comics basedanimation, but Ultimate Spider-Man was bad from the beginning, and it all went downhill from there. It makes me miss Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes even more
kirk55555 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 26 2014, 10:58 PM   #859
Saga
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Saga Send a message via Yahoo to Saga

kirk55555 wrote: View Post
I'd be excited, but it will probably be made by the same people (and be in the same universe as) Ultimate Spider-Man and avengers Assemble, which suck. Marvel has been as bad at animated stuff as it is good with live action stuff for awhile. There can obviously be good Marvel comics basedanimation, but Ultimate Spider-Man was bad from the beginning, and it all went downhill from there. It makes me miss Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes even more
agreed.
Saga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26 2014, 11:02 PM   #860
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

It's all because of jeph loeb and his marvel man of action writing team.

We HAD good Marvel cartoons

-Spectacular Spider-man
-Avengers: EMH

but they wanted something that was dumbed down.
Samurai8472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26 2014, 11:14 PM   #861
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

It's a shame because, in the 1990s, their stuff was among the best. A GotG show of the quality of the 90s shows would have been an ideal introduction to the universe as a whole.
Old July 26 2014, 11:20 PM   #862
Enterprise1701
Fleet Captain

Retweet.
Enterprise1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26 2014, 11:29 PM   #863
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

I do like that it's an old school depiction of Starlord. It gives the idea that it'll draw from other versions of GotG and won't just be aping the movie. Although it's fair to say, regardless of quality, I'm only checking it out after it appears on Netflix (if it does).
Old July 26 2014, 11:30 PM   #864
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

Saga wrote: View Post
agreed.
Yup.
Old July 26 2014, 11:31 PM   #865
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

Alidar Jarok wrote: View Post
It's a shame because, in the 1990s, their stuff was among the best. A GotG show of the quality of the 90s shows would have been an ideal introduction to the universe as a whole.
With X-men TAS style story arcs and theme song by a rockband?(KISS, Aerosmith)?

a really shame.
Samurai8472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27 2014, 02:44 AM   #866
Chris3123
Vice Admiral

Guardians of the Galaxy 2 confirmed for July 28, 2017! Announced just now at Comic-Con.

ETA: Here's a link.

Last edited by Chris3123; July 27 2014 at 03:04 AM.
Chris3123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30 2014, 05:21 AM   #867
JD
Admiral

Tor.com has a review up. Their critic like it.
It also has a score of 75 on Metacritic, with 12 positive reviews, 2 mixed reviews, and no negative ones.
Things are definitely looking good.
Old July 30 2014, 01:37 PM   #868
shivkala
Rear Admiral

I see my exact feelings about the announcement of the animated series are being echoed by other posters here. This would be great news if it wasn't handled by the crew that's doing the current crop of animated shows. Especially because, in my opinion, with each show added, the quality goes down. Ultimate Spider-Man was passable, Avengers is slightly passable, while Hulk and the Agents of S.M.A.S.H. is horrible.

That being said, the episode of Ultimate Spider-Man that introduced the Guardians was one of my favorites (As a New Yorker who went to school in Boston, "Spidah-Man" is my favorite USM episode).

However, the Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes episode with the Guardians ("Michael Korvac") was great, partly because Dan Abnett and Andy Lanning wrote it. The only thing the USM episode had over this was the casting of the late Michael Clarke Duncan as Groot.

In preparation for Guardians, I finally sat down to watch Super last night. Despite hearing good things about it, it became one of those movies you add to your Instant Queue and keep skipping over as you mutter to yourself, "I want to watch a movie, but not any of these."

Not that I had any doubts about Guardians, but after seeing Super, and how much James Gunn showed he understands the genre, I am even more excited to see it!
"When I reach for the edge of the universe, I do it knowing that along some paths of cosmic discovery, there are times when, at least for now, one must be content to love the questions themselves." --Neil deGrasse Tyson
shivkala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30 2014, 06:14 PM   #869
Corran Horn
Vice Admiral

I think Ultimate Spider-Man, Agents of SMASH, and Avengers Assemble are good enough for what they are.

I wasn't ever one who wept for how wonderful SSM or EMH was so maybe that's why I feel that way.
Old July 30 2014, 08:13 PM   #870
kirk55555
Commodore

At this point, animated superhero cartoons have proven they can be much more than what Marvel is giving us with USM, AA and HAoS. Everything from DC stuff like Batman: TAS and Justice League to EMH and Wolverine and the X-Men were examples of superheroes done right, and in a way everyone can enjoy. The current Marvel cartoons are dumbed down even for their intended audience, and the writing is just awful. The shows will be forgotten soon after they're eventually cancelled, just like the horrible Avengers cartoon with the armored suits for everyone and the MTV CG Spider-Man show. There was a good run of marvel cartoons for awhile, but Marvel taking more control just killed their whole animation line. Like I said before, they're as bad at animation as they are good at live action.
kirk55555 is online now   Reply With Quote