Shatner In Haven
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Retro Review: Covenant
By: Michelle on Nov 22

Two Official Starships Collection Previews
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Saldana: Women Issues In Hollywood
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old February 19 2014, 07:41 PM   #511
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral

Re: Marvel planning Guardians of the Galaxy movie!

I admire Marvel's willingness to not play it safe, not just sit back and chug out the same movie over and over. I think this movie is a risk (it's a space opera, no real big stars, no "name" hero, it looks weird), but, will probably pay off for them.
Old February 19 2014, 07:53 PM   #512
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

I think the lineup introduction was needed for this type film. Even if it was shot just with the trailer in mind as someone said. These characters are unknown and right away a brief one-two line of what they are about is established + giving them the bandits/outlaws/renegades vibe that is inherent of who they are as a group.

That said we saw nothing at all of them as a group/team in action. Some brief sequence of them "guarding" or defending something/someone would've been nice.

I don't remotely believe the film is, as a whole, going to be as comedic as the lines they chose to show the GA via Peter Quill/Starlord. It's an action drama that is going to have doses of comedy much like the other Marvel Studios film. Rocket being the character after Quill to have scene stealing moments, comedic and otherwise.

I understand spotlighting Quill, he's the focal character BUT something from at least one other team member would've been nice. I get it's an intro trailer, lots to juggle. I understand how these things work. Studio releases 1-Action trailer 2-Story Trailer 3-Blended One with a few new elements of both. I fully believe the next trailer, shown during the summer, is going to be the one to make/break GA minds up. This trailer is accomplishing/will accomplish over the next few months it's purpose....get the film on the masses radar SO that when the Story Trailer debuts it fully captures them.

So much to explore in that next trailer(s): Collector, Ronan, Nova Prime, Nebula, Yondu (who is name dropped on Quills rap sheet) the rest of the GotG team....Thanos?

I give it a 3.5/5 for effectiveness.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19 2014, 07:54 PM   #513
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

Professor Zoom wrote: View Post
I admire Marvel's willingness to not play it safe, not just sit back and chug out the same movie over and over. I think this movie is a risk (it's a space opera, no real big stars, no "name" hero, it looks weird), but, will probably pay off for them.
I think it will open well (maybe not big, but better than John Carter) on the goodwill Marvel has earned the past five years with audiences. Whether or not the film has legs (and can appeal to a non-geek audience) will depend strongly on reviews. The things to watch for will be the opening weekend's numbers and the second week drop-off.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19 2014, 07:54 PM   #514
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

Aldo wrote: View Post
For the (few) people who aren't won over by this trailer, I've got two questions: Just what were you expecting? I mean it's a movie about a group of outlaws who have given themselves the moniker: "Guardians of the Galaxy" just for shits and giggles. Plus you know, the talking Raccoon who murders people with the help of his giant tree...

And second, I'm curious if you guys have read the comics? Now I admit I've only read the current Bendis run, but from what I see in the trailer, the tone is pretty spot on from what is present in the comics. Maybe earlier incarnations of the comics were slightly more serious, I don't know. But all I know is that I love Bendis' current run and this movie appears to capture the tone perfectly.
I guess I wasn't expecting such a broad comedic approach (no, haven't read the comics). I find it odd that resonates so well with everyone. It seemed really second-rate Will Smith or Will Farrell stuff. Just needed the guy listening to the music to shake his fist and go "Starrrrrrrrrrr-Lorrrrrrrrd!". I haven't written the movie off bit the trailer wasn't completely successful for me obviously.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19 2014, 07:55 PM   #515
Garak
Eyeliner hides the sleepless nights

I'll definitely be checking out the movie, but the trailer was just ok. Not amazing, not terrible.
Old February 19 2014, 07:55 PM   #516
Mage
Commodore

crookeddy wrote: View Post
I don't get it. What are we excited about? That was awful, right?
Nope, it wasn't. Sorry.
Old February 19 2014, 09:27 PM   #517
Trek4Ever
Fleet Captain

Personally I loved it, but I do see the inherent risk that Marvel is taking. This isn't about superheroes but is a space adventure and I have to give them credit for taking this risk and not just churn out another typical superhero flick.

It's hard to say how general audiences will react to this or go at all. It could turn out to be this year's Pacific Rim, loved by genre fans but ignored by non-fan moviegoers who'd rather see garbage like Grown Ups 2.

But if it has crossover appeal, Marvel will have taken a huge leap ahead of DC when it comes to movies. They've done the superhero thing and now they're exploring other avenues. Meanwhile, DC seems obsessed with putting Batman into everything and their big entry into superhero films got pushed back a year. This must be very frustrating for DC fans since there is a rich trove of material to explore. How awesome would a Legion of Superheroes film be?
Trek4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19 2014, 09:59 PM   #518
JD
Admiral

OMG, I loved this trailer. This is exactly the kind of movie I love.
Old February 19 2014, 10:08 PM   #519
Kelthaz
Rear Admiral

Professor Zoom wrote: View Post
I love this comment on the io9 article for the trailer.

IO9 Commentor wrote:
I know it's been said so many times but it must be repeated:

Warner Bros thinks it's too difficult to make a Wonder Woman movie as audiences can't get into something so wild.

Marvel/Disney is giving us a talking raccoon firing a machine gun while riding the shoulder of a walking plant.
I love that Marvel is taking these risks and not just relying on the safe standard superhero story. I hope this movie makes a fortune and other studios realize that there's profit to be had in trailblazing.

"I'm the locksmith. And... I'm the locksmith."
Kelthaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19 2014, 10:43 PM   #520
crookeddy
Fleet Captain

Mage wrote: View Post
Nope, it wasn't. Sorry.
So we want movies to go back to Batman and Robin level silliness?
crookeddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19 2014, 10:46 PM   #521
Mister Fandango
Fleet Captain

Mage wrote: View Post
Nope, it wasn't. Sorry.
That's not even remotely accurate.
Old February 19 2014, 10:52 PM   #522
Jax
Admiral

I saw no bat nipples.
If Fidelity to freedom and democracy is the code of our civic religion then surely the code of our humanity is faithful service to that unwritten commandment that says we shall give our children better than we ourselves received
Jax is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 19 2014, 10:56 PM   #523
Jedi Ben
Lieutenant Commander

It's a first trailer, there'll be more.

But from what there is? Oh yeah, looks to be a hoot.
Jedi Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19 2014, 10:56 PM   #524
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

Fuck. I was on board when I found out it was just gonna be "Bert Macklin, FBI" in Space. ... the trailer is outstanding. Bring on August!
doubleohfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19 2014, 11:03 PM   #525
ManOnTheWave
Rear Admiral

Looks fantastic.