RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,879
Posts: 5,222,156
Members: 24,231
Currently online: 759
Newest member: Rhonson

TrekToday headlines

Takei To Receive Award
By: T'Bonz on Apr 23

Yelchin In New Comedy
By: T'Bonz on Apr 23

U.S. Rights For Pegg Comedy Secured
By: T'Bonz on Apr 23

Shatner: Aging and Work
By: T'Bonz on Apr 23

Kurtzman And Orci Go Solo
By: T'Bonz on Apr 22

Star Trek #32 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Apr 22

Voyager Bridge Via The Oculus Rift
By: T'Bonz on Apr 21

Miles Away Glyph Award Nominations
By: T'Bonz on Apr 21

Q Meets NuTrek Crew
By: T'Bonz on Apr 18

Pine In Talks For Drama
By: T'Bonz on Apr 18


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old July 11 2012, 04:26 PM   #46
Deckerd
Fleet Arse
 
Deckerd's Avatar
 
Location: the Frozen Wastes
Re: 50 Shades Of Grey phenomenon? Mommy porn outsells Potter and Twili

I like your niece.
__________________
They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance.
Deckerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11 2012, 04:28 PM   #47
Bob The Skutter
Admiral
 
Bob The Skutter's Avatar
 
Location: Bob The Skutter
View Bob The Skutter's Twitter Profile
Re: 50 Shades Of Grey phenomenon? Mommy porn outsells Potter and Twili

^She loves the Twilight series...
__________________
And their call for war on poverty is a smokescreen we don't need, cos the only war worth fighting for is a war on their pure greed. : Acid Country - Paul Heaton
Bob The Skutter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 11 2012, 04:31 PM   #48
Deckerd
Fleet Arse
 
Deckerd's Avatar
 
Location: the Frozen Wastes
Re: 50 Shades Of Grey phenomenon? Mommy porn outsells Potter and Twili

Is that the one who dragged you along to the fims? She's entitled to like them, she was a pre-16 year-old.
__________________
They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance.
Deckerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11 2012, 04:38 PM   #49
Bob The Skutter
Admiral
 
Bob The Skutter's Avatar
 
Location: Bob The Skutter
View Bob The Skutter's Twitter Profile
Re: 50 Shades Of Grey phenomenon? Mommy porn outsells Potter and Twili

^Indeed it is. And I think it's mostly cos she fancies what's his face?
__________________
And their call for war on poverty is a smokescreen we don't need, cos the only war worth fighting for is a war on their pure greed. : Acid Country - Paul Heaton
Bob The Skutter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 11 2012, 07:50 PM   #50
Ethros
Vice Admiral
 
Ethros's Avatar
 
Location: 1123 6536 5321
Re: 50 Shades Of Grey phenomenon? Mommy porn outsells Potter and Twili

I want the audiobook version read by Gilbert Gottfried

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5K1RcKJVbHA

Ethros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11 2012, 08:23 PM   #51
Peach Wookiee
Cuddly Mod of Doom
 
Peach Wookiee's Avatar
 
Location: Peach Wookiee
Re: 50 Shades Of Grey phenomenon? Mommy porn outsells Potter and Twili

I'm checking this out at the library when I get a chance. I want to see if this Bella is more interesting.
Peach Wookiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12 2012, 02:28 PM   #52
Dream
Admiral
 
Dream's Avatar
 
Re: 50 Shades Of Grey phenomenon? Mommy porn outsells Potter and Twili

Man Assaults Girlfriend with Steak Sauce over ‘Fifty Shades of Grey’

A British man was charged with assault for his attempt to stop his girlfriend from reading the sexy bestseller.

While the erotic trilogy Fifty Shades of Grey has been credited with arousing the passions of millions of women around the world, for one British man, it only aroused his wrath.

When Emma McCormick, of Carlisle, UK, read aloud passages from her copy of Fifty Shades to her long-term boyfriend Raymond Hodgson, he wasn’t thrilled about hearing McCormick narrate the book’s racy scenes of bondage and seduction. Hodgson, 31, later told authorities that he thought the book was “pornographic” and “distasteful” and didn’t feel it was appropriate for McCormick to read it. He was so bothered, he drove to McCormick’s home the following day and, armed with a bottle of steak sauce, resumed the argument. The fight escalated until Hodgson pulled out the bottle and squirted it in McCormick’s face. He reportedly said he wanted to show her what ‘saucy’ really meant.
Yikes!
__________________
=)
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12 2012, 04:14 PM   #53
Ethros
Vice Admiral
 
Ethros's Avatar
 
Location: 1123 6536 5321
Re: 50 Shades Of Grey phenomenon? Mommy porn outsells Potter and Twili

Well if women really like 50 Shades so much, shouldn't they like men who beat them?


Explains why Chris Brown is still popular.
Ethros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12 2012, 04:28 PM   #54
Bob The Skutter
Admiral
 
Bob The Skutter's Avatar
 
Location: Bob The Skutter
View Bob The Skutter's Twitter Profile
Re: 50 Shades Of Grey phenomenon? Mommy porn outsells Potter and Twili

Shame Hermiod isn't around to let us all know that people don't understand BDSM.
__________________
And their call for war on poverty is a smokescreen we don't need, cos the only war worth fighting for is a war on their pure greed. : Acid Country - Paul Heaton
Bob The Skutter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 13 2012, 07:24 PM   #55
cardinal biggles
Danny Donkey hates you
 
cardinal biggles's Avatar
 
Location: potrzebie
Send a message via ICQ to cardinal biggles Send a message via AIM to cardinal biggles Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to cardinal biggles Send a message via Yahoo to cardinal biggles
Re: 50 Shades Of Grey phenomenon? Mommy porn outsells Potter and Twili

Peach Wookiee wrote: View Post
I'm checking this out at the library when I get a chance. I want to see if this Bella is more interesting.
She's actually more irritating.

Dream wrote: View Post
Man Assaults Girlfriend with Steak Sauce over ‘Fifty Shades of Grey’

A British man was charged with assault for his attempt to stop his girlfriend from reading the sexy bestseller.

While the erotic trilogy Fifty Shades of Grey has been credited with arousing the passions of millions of women around the world, for one British man, it only aroused his wrath.

When Emma McCormick, of Carlisle, UK, read aloud passages from her copy of Fifty Shades to her long-term boyfriend Raymond Hodgson, he wasn’t thrilled about hearing McCormick narrate the book’s racy scenes of bondage and seduction. Hodgson, 31, later told authorities that he thought the book was “pornographic” and “distasteful” and didn’t feel it was appropriate for McCormick to read it. He was so bothered, he drove to McCormick’s home the following day and, armed with a bottle of steak sauce, resumed the argument. The fight escalated until Hodgson pulled out the bottle and squirted it in McCormick’s face. He reportedly said he wanted to show her what ‘saucy’ really meant.
Yikes!
I read that yesterday. Some folks were making some great food-related puns.

Bob the Skutter wrote: View Post
Shame Hermiod isn't around to let us all know that people don't understand BDSM.
You owe me a new keyboard.

I read all three books in the Fifty Shades trilogy, and they were awful. AWFUL. It had nothing to do with the sex, but the writing itself. Clichéd characters, repetitive writing (I wanted to stab myself every time ELJ mentioned Ana's "inner goddess," who is basically an irritating shoulder angel with a closetful of costumes and props), all spiced up with just enough BDSM to make people pay attention and hopefully forget that right under the surface it's Yet Another Hackneyed Girl-Saves-Self-Destructive-Guy-From-Himself Story. Not worth your time or your money. I wish I could get both of mine back.
cardinal biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13 2012, 09:26 PM   #56
MacLeod
Admiral
 
Location: Great Britain
Re: 50 Shades Of Grey phenomenon? Mommy porn outsells Potter and Twili

Dream wrote: View Post
http://www.examiner.com/article/fift...ling-book-ever

This is the first time I've heard of this. Apparently these books, starting with 50 Shades of Grey, have become the next book phenomenon and holds the title of fastest-selling novel beating Harry Potter and Twilight. They are now even going to be turned into movies.

I can understand Harry Potter and Twilight getting popular. One has a boy learning he is a wizard and going to a magic school, while the other has a vampire and a teenage girl falling in love with each other.

But this? I glanced at the plot of the first book it looks like it is just romance with a bunch of BDSM sex. Amusingly this series started out as Twilight fan fiction.

How did these books get so huge? Has anyone here read them or seen others reading these books?

Note the article says Paperback, books like Harry Potter where sold in Hardback as well. A quick websearch puts the Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows as selling 11 million copies in the first 24hrs. (8.3 US & 2.7m UK).
__________________
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14 2012, 06:36 AM   #57
Crusher Disciple
Admiral
 
Crusher Disciple's Avatar
 
Location: Ann Taylor
View Crusher Disciple's Twitter Profile
Re: 50 Shades Of Grey phenomenon? Mommy porn outsells Potter and Twili

I've got my own perspective on this. I enjoy reading and writing erotica. And any time an erotic novel gets some attention from the mainstream, that's good news for me. That means I'll have an audience.

And I've been surprised at how many different kinds and ages of women who admit that they've read the books. I think it's more than women being lonely and unfulfilled. I think it's more that they're willing to explore other facets of their sexuality, which is never a bad thing IMO.

FPAlpha wrote: View Post

Middle aged women who seek the perfect relationship/sex and apparently get it.. wish fulfilment fantasy at its best. Just the target demographic has switched from kids/teenagers to middle aged women.
Well, they might as well have something targeted towards them. Hollywood ignores them and goes after the 17-34 male demographic.

cardinal biggles wrote: View Post
[

I read all three books in the Fifty Shades trilogy, and they were awful. AWFUL. It had nothing to do with the sex, but the writing itself. Clichéd characters, repetitive writing (I wanted to stab myself every time ELJ mentioned Ana's "inner goddess," who is basically an irritating shoulder angel with a closetful of costumes and props), all spiced up with just enough BDSM to make people pay attention and hopefully forget that right under the surface it's Yet Another Hackneyed Girl-Saves-Self-Destructive-Guy-From-Himself Story. Not worth your time or your money. I wish I could get both of mine back.
Yeah, the inner goddess thing is annoying. Just say she's conflicted, for chrissake!
__________________
"sometimes I wish I had listened to my ex more....I'm always sig worthy, bunny babe." -0do_ital
Crusher Disciple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14 2012, 11:08 PM   #58
FPAlpha
Rear Admiral
 
FPAlpha's Avatar
 
Location: Mannheim, Germany
Re: 50 Shades Of Grey phenomenon? Mommy porn outsells Potter and Twili

Crusher Disciple wrote: View Post
FPAlpha wrote: View Post

Middle aged women who seek the perfect relationship/sex and apparently get it.. wish fulfilment fantasy at its best. Just the target demographic has switched from kids/teenagers to middle aged women.
Well, they might as well have something targeted towards them. Hollywood ignores them and goes after the 17-34 male demographic.
Which is why the box office will explode as soon as it hits theatres and studios will scramble to get their hands on any similar themed story they can make into movies.. i guess it could be one of the next series of movie hits in about 2-3 years.
__________________
"A control freak like you with something you can't control? No no.. that's gonna be more fun than shark week!" Det. Javier Esposito
FPAlpha is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 14 2012, 11:11 PM   #59
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral
 
JarodRussell's Avatar
 
Re: 50 Shades Of Grey phenomenon? Mommy porn outsells Potter and Twili

Dream wrote:
How did these books get so huge?
I'm getting very skeptical about these magical blockbuster book sales lately.

There have been cases of music labels buying their own CDs just to get them into the top ten to create buzz. Then I guess the larger the buzz, the more some film studio is willing to pay for the rights. And if the book is turned into a film or not is then not really that important anymore to the publisher.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14 2012, 11:12 PM   #60
RoJoHen
Awesome
 
RoJoHen's Avatar
 
Location: QC, IL, USA
Re: 50 Shades Of Grey phenomenon? Mommy porn outsells Potter and Twili

So, I don't know much about this series, but is this the kind of thing that have mass-market appeal as a film series? It seems geared heavily toward adult women; just how graphic is the story, and can it be given a PG-13 rating without being ruined?
__________________
I am the Quintessential Admiral.
RoJoHen is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
fifty shades of grey, mommy porn

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:05 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.