Pegg/Wright Trilogy In The Works
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Star Trek: The Compendium Rebate Details
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Gold Key Archives Volume 2
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Takei Documentary Wins Award
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Deep Space Nine

Deep Space Nine What We Left Behind, we will always have here.

Old July 2 2012, 11:38 PM   #16
ILOVETREK1701
Lieutenant Commander

Re: La-La Land Records to release 4-disc DS9 soundtrack set!

I love star trek music and will have to buy this.
ILOVETREK1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2 2012, 11:48 PM   #17
toughlittleship
Fleet Captain

This is very welcome, a nice way to celebrate the 20th anniversary; hopefully Pocket Books have things planned as well.

I'm hoping for music from ""In the Cards", "The Sword of Kahless", "Our Man Bashir", "The Ascent", "Empok Nor", "Sacrifice of Angels", "You Are Cordially Invited", "Far Beyond the Stars", "Tears of the Prophets", "The Changing Face of Evil" and "What You Leave Behind".

As for Ron Jones, I've always felt that his music for early TNG was good; it just clashed with the fairly dull episodes and could be overwhelming and ovely emotional as Rick Berman described it.
toughlittleship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3 2012, 12:00 AM   #18
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

The Caretaker wrote: View Post
I would love to get the Ron Jones Project set, but even if I forked out the high price, I dread to think what the import duty would be...
I have never been hit for import duty on a package of CDs coming into Australia. Just don't make the parcel too large or heavy.

A penpal once sent me three VHS tapes in a large, square box with foam popcorn, and I got hit with a hefty bill. They opened the box and, even though all three tapes were second hand, they still had price tags on them, and they used those old (high) prices to determine the duty.

In any case, I seem to recall seeing the separate Ron Jones Project discs being available for iTunes download.
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3 2012, 12:43 AM   #19
ATimson
Rear Admiral

Therin of Andor wrote: View Post
In any case, I seem to recall seeing the separate Ron Jones Project discs being available for iTunes download.
Hmm. When the set was first released, we were told that downloads wouldn't be possible. Though since iTunes only has 12 of the 15 discs, I wonder if it was the other three discs that had legal issues and they eventually released what they could.

"...don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3 2012, 01:24 PM   #20
Art Vandelay
Captain

Wonderful news.

I just hope it heavily features David Bell, and not so much McCarthy/Chattaway. We have so much music from those two already.

And please consider that a little of Baillargeon's dissonance goes a long way. (I was relieved to see that my musically very adept wife wore the same WTF face I did when she first saw the teaser to Shakaar.)
Art Vandelay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3 2012, 06:44 PM   #21
Timo47
Commander

As mentioned above, I would love to get the Ron Jones Project set, but even if I forked out the high price, I dread to think what the import duty would be...
FYI, I ordered the Ron Jones box from SAE and had it shipped to Belgium without having to pay any import duty. In fact, I've never had to pay any import duty on SAE orders.
I'd say go for it. The box is worth it.
Old July 3 2012, 07:02 PM   #22
Tom
Rear Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
I'm not a big fan of Chattaway's action cues; I prefer his more emotional, sensitive material. Although I did like his action work in VGR: "Scorpion," since he actually got away with composing a leitmotif for Species 8472.
Yup, Scorpion is my favorite for Voyager, I so wished they released it. Well, given all the soundtracks to come out lately maybe they will, and a lot of good Enterprise tracks too.

DS9 did not stand out as much musicaly for me but at had its moments at times.
Old July 3 2012, 07:28 PM   #23
The Caretaker
Lieutenant

Timo47 wrote: View Post
FYI, I ordered the Ron Jones box from SAE and had it shipped to Belgium without having to pay any import duty. In fact, I've never had to pay any import duty on SAE orders.
I'd say go for it. The box is worth it.
For the UK, the rules are that anything over £18 from outside the EU will face an import duty. Before I was aware of this I ordered something from Amazon Japan that was about £50. I can't recall the exact duty but I had to pay another further £25ish at the post office before I could collect it. Obviously this was already a luxury purchase and this made me feel even more guilty and skint!

Luckily for me La-La Land 'conveniently forget' to declare the value of their packages, so so far I am yet to be caught out buying their releases. I hope I haven't just jinxed it!
The Caretaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3 2012, 07:46 PM   #24
Data Holmes
Admiral

Tom wrote: View Post
I'm not a big fan of Chattaway's action cues; I prefer his more emotional, sensitive material. Although I did like his action work in VGR: "Scorpion," since he actually got away with composing a leitmotif for Species 8472.
Yup, Scorpion is my favorite for Voyager, I so wished they released it. Well, given all the soundtracks to come out lately maybe they will, and a lot of good Enterprise tracks too.

DS9 did not stand out as much musicaly for me but at had its moments at times.
DS9 was subtle, but it was the "playing field" where the composers played to show Berman that the "Sonic Wallpaper" was not necessarily a good thing. Mostly because Berman wasn't as involved in it as he was with TNG, Generations, and Voyager.
Old July 3 2012, 07:56 PM   #25
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to doubleohfive

Thrilled to read about this upcoming release! Hopefully, it will also sell well enough to justify either another DS9 release or a Voyager album in the future.
Old July 3 2012, 07:59 PM   #26
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

Yeah, "The Visitor" was one of the great scores -- but it's already had a CD release in GNP Crescendo's first The Best of Star Trek compilation.
I'd still include it. Despite it's being included on the Best of Star Trek Volume 1, the La-La Land guys certainly could improve on the mix and presentation of the score from the GNP release. Besides, no DS9 album would be complete without the score from "The Visitor", would it?
Old July 3 2012, 08:15 PM   #27
The Caretaker
Lieutenant

If the scores have already been licenced out to other labels, like GNP Crescendo, I don't think LLL will be able to re-use them. Be prepared for Emissary and The Visitor to be absent from this release.
The Caretaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3 2012, 08:16 PM   #28
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

Not necessarily. But, as ever, we should just wait and see.
Old July 3 2012, 08:56 PM   #29
jb1234
Lieutenant Junior Grade

If the scores have already been licenced out to other labels, like GNP Crescendo, I don't think LLL will be able to re-use them. Be prepared for Emissary and The Visitor to be absent from this release.
It depends on the circumstances. For instance, for the Ron Jones Box, GNP let FSM use "Heart of Glory" in full but they would only let them have five minutes of "Best of Both Worlds" (whether released or unreleased material). If the disc for "Emissary" and the one that contains "The Visitor" music are still selling well, I wouldn't count on hearing that music again outside of those releases.
jb1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3 2012, 09:13 PM   #30
Harvey
Admiral

Hopefully, they'll leave "Emissary" off the set. The complete score is out there; no need to use up valuable space with cues that have already been released in full. It's not a great score, anyway.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote