RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,700
Members: 24,208
Currently online: 738
Newest member: meshman63

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old June 26 2012, 07:08 AM   #1
FreddyE
Commander

Measure of a man - extended version on blueray

Apperantly CBS is going to put a 20 minutes longer version of "measure of a man" on the blueray. http://trekmovie.com/2012/06/25/writ...sure-of-a-man/

It seems the episode was filmed directly from the spec script, leading to that much overlength.

If I remember right, it actually was pretty common for TNG to have more scenes for an episode then they could actually use.

Lets try to put together a list of all known additional scenes.

For example, in the episode with the fish-like aliens, the scene where they awake was actually longer.

What other deleted stuff do we know of?
FreddyE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26 2012, 10:42 AM   #2
MacLeod
Admiral

Re: Measure of a man - extended version on blueray

I suspect quite a few episodes over ran, from the shot script to the broadcast version.

Though if we were given the choice and the scenes still exist would we want the material added back. as running time is not a concern on BR?
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26 2012, 10:55 AM   #3
CorporalCaptain
Vice Admiral

MacLeod wrote: View Post
I suspect quite a few episodes over ran, from the shot script to the broadcast version.

Though if we were given the choice and the scenes still exist would we want the material added back. as running time is not a concern on BR?
Added back? Well, if the originally broadcast scene composition and run length are preserved in a regular original version, so that a whole extended version is included as an extra feature, then yes. Otherwise, if the original version is excluded, then no. But in either case, I'd want the extra scenes in the form of the standard deleted scenes set in the extra features section.

Frankly, since making an extended version is more work than just including restored deleted scenes in the extra features, what's the real financial incentive to put in the extra effort to make the extended version?
Old June 26 2012, 01:11 PM   #4
Forbin
Admiral

Dang, I'd like to see that - it's one of my favorite episodes. But I ain't buying the BRs after having spent $600 (or whatever) on the DVDs.
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26 2012, 02:14 PM   #5
RandyS
Vice Admiral

View RandyS's Twitter Profile

Forbin wrote: View Post
Dang, I'd like to see that - it's one of my favorite episodes. But I ain't buying the BRs after having spent $600 (or whatever) on the DVDs.
Yeah, it annoys me too, but I agree with you. I'm sticking with DVD.

Who knows? Maybe somebody will upload them to YouTube and we'll get to see them anyhow.
RandyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26 2012, 02:17 PM   #6
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

CorporalCaptain wrote: View Post

Frankly, since making an extended version is more work than just including restored deleted scenes in the extra features, what's the real financial incentive to put in the extra effort to make the extended version?
Well the season was shortened due to a writers strike that year. So there is less actual content than every other season.
Old June 26 2012, 03:25 PM   #7
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

FreddyE wrote: View Post
What other deleted stuff do we know of?
Wesley's birthday party (in "Coming of Age"). The crew sing Happy Birthday (or similar song), Worf ends up asking Beverly how old she is and Bev is unimpressed, handing him a plate and saying, "Have some cake, Worf."
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26 2012, 03:28 PM   #8
Tom
Rear Admiral

Does anyone else get virus messages when they go to trekmovie.com ?
Old June 26 2012, 04:39 PM   #9
SchwEnt
Fleet Captain

I'm incredulous, in disbelief. TWENTY minutes???
That's nearly HALF the running time of an eps.
I can believe three or four minutes that were cut. But 20?? Wow.

I've seen still photos of the cut-scene of Wesley's birthday party and heard of other things that were cut. But after decades, how is this coming out now?

No convention stories, no behind-the-scenes interviews, no books... telling of how one of the most popular eps had all this extra footage filmed and never aired? Amazing.
SchwEnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26 2012, 05:23 PM   #10
gaghyogi49
Lieutenant Commander

Here's a list of deleted scenes, compiled at Memory Alpha:

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Deleted_scene
gaghyogi49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26 2012, 05:41 PM   #11
Holdfast
Procul, O procul este profani!

SchwEnt wrote: View Post
I'm incredulous, in disbelief. TWENTY minutes???
That's nearly HALF the running time of an eps.
I can believe three or four minutes that were cut. But 20?? Wow.
Indeed. Should be fun to see, if it ends up being true (even if the extra footage isn't restored/finished and just added as a special branching option).
Holdfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26 2012, 05:50 PM   #12
Maxwell Everett
Fleet Captain

FreddyE wrote: View Post
Apperantly CBS is going to put a 20 minutes longer version of "measure of a man" on the blueray. http://trekmovie.com/2012/06/25/writ...sure-of-a-man/

It seems the episode was filmed directly from the spec script, leading to that much overlength.
Actually, they filmed the 2nd revised final draft, not a spec script (it wouldn't have been production ready). TrekMovie just says that the episode came to TNG as a spec. Here's an RTF file of the teleplay with the deleted moments bolded and italicized:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/a22yu4
Old June 26 2012, 06:02 PM   #13
Maxwell Everett
Fleet Captain

Holdfast wrote: View Post
Indeed. Should be fun to see, if it ends up being true (even if the extra footage isn't restored/finished and just added as a special branching option).
I would think that if they don't restore the footage from the original camera negatives, then they wouldn't branch it... it would be too jarring alongside the new HD version of the episode. If that's the case, they'd probably just include its deleted scenes as a standard definition extra on the last disc of the set.

But if they go the route of restoration, ala the alternate, unaired, uncut version of "Where No Man Has Gone Before" that was on the Season Three TOS Blu-ray set... then we may see it in full HD.
Old June 27 2012, 10:09 AM   #14
Tiberius
Commodore

MacLeod wrote: View Post

In the Best of Both Worlds part 2, there's a nice scene with Riker and Troi where she tells him that she could sense Picard in Lcutus and how much he was hurting. It was cut from the episode, either in the editing or before it was filmed, but it was in the script, and I included it in my novelization of the episode (see my signature).
Tiberius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27 2012, 10:28 AM   #15
Sho
Fleet Captain

SchwEnt wrote: View Post
I've seen still photos of the cut-scene of Wesley's birthday party and heard of other things that were cut. But after decades, how is this coming out now?
Well, they never went back to the original dailies / negs before now.
Sho is offline   Reply With Quote