TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old July 21 2012, 06:31 AM   #121
IndyJones
Vice Admiral

Re: The Newsroom.

Rumor has it that The Newsroom's writing staff has been decimated.

Link:

Aaron Sorkin has been doing press all week defending his critically-panned HBO show, “The Newsroom,” but behind the scenes he's cleaning house.

Most of the writers on the cable drama about a Keith Olbermann-type television news demagogue have been fired, sources with knowledge of the show told The Daily. "They're not coming back, except for Sorkin's ex-girlfriend [Corinne Kinsbury]," one source said.
The site looks pretty gossipy, so I'll be interested to see if this is true.
Travel's fatal to prejudice, bigotry, narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things can't be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's life.
IndyJones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 21 2012, 06:40 AM   #122
Data Holmes
Admiral

This has been reported on several sites.
Old July 21 2012, 07:45 AM   #123
IndyJones
Vice Admiral

Many using the same source. I just wanted a disclaimer in case it wasn't legit.
Travel's fatal to prejudice, bigotry, narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things can't be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's life.
IndyJones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 21 2012, 08:14 AM   #124
Harvey
Admiral

Have those writers even received credit this season? I've only seen the first three episodes, but as I recall Sorkin had sole credit on all of them.

EDIT: looks like he had co-written credit on episode three, but is back to sole credit for episode four (and five and six, according to wikipedia).

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21 2012, 09:00 AM   #125
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

He's been writing this series for years.

the scripts were finished probably long before he got the actors in line to start filming.

Constant polishing and second guessing and revision however.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 21 2012, 02:26 PM   #126
Count Zero
Decidedly something

It's interesting how differently the show is seen. I wouldn't have associated Will McAvoy with Keith Olbermann at all.
Old July 21 2012, 03:38 PM   #127
CaptainCanada
Admiral

Count Zero wrote: View Post
It's interesting how differently the show is seen. I wouldn't have associated Will McAvoy with Keith Olbermann at all.
When the series was first announced it was widely said to be about an Olbermann-style show, and Will basically acts like Olbermann (left-wing ranter who's incredibly difficult to work with).

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21 2012, 03:58 PM   #128
Gaith
Rear Admiral

Guy Gardener wrote: View Post
He's been writing this series for years.

the scripts were finished probably long before he got the actors in line to start filming.

Constant polishing and second guessing and revision however.
More like, possibly, he outlines the stories, has his staff write the scenes, then he rewrites all the dialog.
Gaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21 2012, 04:17 PM   #129
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Wikipedia says that he spent two years entrenched in actual news rooms researching the method. If that's even a fraction true, then as the time line plays out these stories which his characters are playing out he saw happening in RL with professionals being professional.

So yeah, he had the "news stuff" sorted out, but if Aaron fired a bunch of writers, then there was a bunch of writers there to be fired, maybe they were on top of the relationships and love stories that balanced off against the news?

Old July 21 2012, 04:24 PM   #130
Count Zero
Decidedly something

CaptainCanada wrote: View Post
When the series was first announced it was widely said to be about an Olbermann-style show, and Will basically acts like Olbermann (left-wing ranter who's incredibly difficult to work with).
See, I don't think he acts like Olbermann at all. He's a news anchor while Olbermann's show consisted of opinion pieces. While McAvoy's opinions shine through from time to time what we've seen him do most of the time was to present the news in a largely impartial way. It's even in the mission statement of Newsnight 2.0.
I do like Olbermann but Countdown and the fictional Newsnight are two very different shows.
Old July 21 2012, 09:33 PM   #131
Venardhi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Venardhi Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Venardhi

137th Gebirg wrote: View Post
I'm also starting to get a bit irritated that we have to be also not-so-subtly reminded that the lead character is a "registered Republican" in order for it to be okay for him to speak on traditionally liberal boilerplate issues, and to prove that he's not a Tea Party sycophant.
It is commentary on how extreme Republicans have become that someone like him who was their bread and butter a couple decades ago is now considered far too liberal to belong in the party.
"There is no reason why good cannot triumph as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they are organized along the lines of the Maffia." - Winston Niles Rumfoord.
Venardhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21 2012, 10:08 PM   #132
Lead-Nosed Reindeer
LeadHead's First Officer

Venardhi wrote: View Post
137th Gebirg wrote: View Post
I'm also starting to get a bit irritated that we have to be also not-so-subtly reminded that the lead character is a "registered Republican" in order for it to be okay for him to speak on traditionally liberal boilerplate issues, and to prove that he's not a Tea Party sycophant.
It is commentary on how extreme Republicans have become that someone like him who was their bread and butter a couple decades ago is now considered far too liberal to belong in the party.
Precisely. Today, if Ronald Reagan were to run for office, he'd be torn apart by the Republican Party.
Old July 21 2012, 11:43 PM   #133
Grumpy Grinch
Rear Admiral

Some one sent me a link to this clip

makes me want to watch, but I don't have HBO.
Old July 22 2012, 08:29 AM   #134
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

OH!

Now I get it.

Sorkin can only write like this for HBO, but his massive audience that can get off on his junk while being "educated" and "civilized" is everyone that can't afford or be bothered with HBO.

"Sigh"

In the final season of the Mary Tyler Moore show, Mary started dating Lou Grant.

Old July 22 2012, 03:28 PM   #135
Gaith
Rear Admiral

A wonderfully "honest" clip?
We stood up for what was right! We fought for moral reasons...
Except for all those times we fought for the wrong ones...

we never beat our chest.
"I have never heard of Teddy Roosevelt."

We reached for the stars, and we acted like men.
And kept segregation alive into the 1960s!

We didn't identify ourselves by who we voted for in the last election
Except for that one time we had, you know, a civil war over just that...

and we didn't scare so easy.
Except for when we delayed getting majorly involved in WW2 as long as we could, because a Nazi-ruled Britain, France and the rest of Europe wouldn't have been that bad...

we cared about our neighbors
Well, not so much the Mexicans or Hawaiians, who we stole entire future states from. Or when we often harassed immigrants, or turned away thousands of those fleeing the Holocaust...

And we were able to be all these things and do all these things because we were informed.
Though we certainly weren't hampered by the huge quantities of virtually untapped natural resources we had access to once all the native populations were decimated, locked up, or hounded into wastelands.

Outside of that edited video, the same scene, IIRC, has McAvoy (or maybe it was the lady staffer) saying that despite it all, by golly, we still can be the world's greatest country, which is also a ridiculous statement, given how dysfunctional a government our Constitution ensures.
Gaith is offline   Reply With Quote