Saldana In The Book of Life
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Cracked’s New Sci-Fi Satire
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Beltran Introduces Shakespeare To Theater Group

Burton To Be Honored at Facets Boo! Bash

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old June 26 2012, 07:41 AM   #16
Death
Admiral

Re: The Newsroom.

Watched it. Loved it. Watched it a second time, loved it even more. I love Sorkin, I love how he refuses to dumb down entertainment. Oh, was the MMS inspector played/voiced by Jesse Eisenberg?
Old June 26 2012, 08:09 AM   #17
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Wikipedia agree with you.

Have you ever noticed that Sorkin is an anagram of "I Snork" which if you put a comma in there, sounds to me like how one would write a historical tretis on the rise and fall of Snork Empire.

Serious.

God created them with a built in cokestraw.

Evolution is telling them that it's okay.

How couldn't that be a fascinating 12 part Adult Swim mIniseries?

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 26 2012, 09:02 AM   #18
Harvey
Admiral

Started off uneven, but the pilot really gets into gear once the broadcast begins. I don't have HBO, so who knows when I'll see the rest, but I will.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26 2012, 01:25 PM   #19
marksound
Fleet Captain

I watched half the pilot last night. The Jeff Daniels character reminds me of Matt Albie from Studio 60, but more of a bastard. That may change when they get further into the show, but who knows. I saw several other parallels/similarities to Studio 60 too. Is Sorkin stuck in his 'failure'?
marksound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26 2012, 01:41 PM   #20
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

It's obvious that he's been pitching the newsroom for the last twenty years but the souless suit bastards kept raping his concept until it became Sports nIght because "real people like football not the news" or "real people like a good laugh, not the news."

He's just damn lucky no frakk said, "And what if Jeff Daniels best friend was a talking dog?"

House never got nice, so maybe Will McAvoy will maintain a consistency over the years too?

Old June 26 2012, 02:37 PM   #21
Shamrock Bones
Agent Richard07

I wonder how Ken Finkleman feels right now. He also created a popular show called The Newsroom.
Shamrock Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26 2012, 02:59 PM   #22
CaptainCanada
Admiral

Sorkin's greatest flaw is his tendency toward arrogance and self-satisfaction, and the pilot had dangerously high levels of both. We'll see how it goes.

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26 2012, 03:22 PM   #23
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Agent Richard07 wrote: View Post
I wonder how Ken Finkleman feels right now. He also created a popular show called The Newsroom.
The characters of ken's news room have been floating through almost half a dozen of his shows over the last 15 years...

Season One of Good God concluded 3 weeks ago where Ken is put in charge of a Canadian more conservative, more right wing, more fundamentalistically Christian version of FOX News.

Old June 26 2012, 04:03 PM   #24
marillion
Vice Admiral

View marillion's Twitter Profile

Having spent many years in a newsroom setting, I was interested in tuning in for this and was more pleasently surprised than I thought I would be... There are some definete authentic moments throughout the show, especially with the guest grilling going on during the Breaking BP oil spill segment..

Sorkin has been hot and cold for me.. He's liberal, so I know I'm going to get a healthy dose of that.. I do think it's daring of him to make McAvoy a moderate conservative but I will be interested to see if he keeps a balance to the feel of the show.

News, as an ideal concept, holds all partys' feet to the fire, barring no holds when it comes to the truth. In the real world, however, too often news has become beholden to sponsors (both big and small) and that tends to bleed into the coverage. - Sorry.. soapboxing there...

I LOVED Sports Night but lost interest with West Wing after a while.. I'm interested to see how this plays out.
Old June 26 2012, 05:12 PM   #25
The Illusive Man
LeadHead's Cerberus Title

I really liked this, but that's no surprise. Aaron Sorkin has always been one of my favorite writers. Looking forward to the next episode!
Old June 26 2012, 05:57 PM   #26
Stone_Cold_Sisko
Vice Admiral

It was fairly entertaining when focusing on the characters. I agree with the description of 'tedious and smug' but I'm colored a little bit by the knowledge of some of what happens in the next 3 episodes. Suffice to say, it very much reflects the liberal view on the 'tea party crowd'.
Stone_Cold_Sisko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26 2012, 06:46 PM   #27
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Started strong, finished strong but the middle third was tedious to get through.
Old June 26 2012, 07:17 PM   #28
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

junxon wrote: View Post
it's tedious and smug.

it's like being lectured on a subject you don't care about by someone who thinks he's much cleverer than he is.
You just neatly summarized why I've never liked anything from Sorkin, not even the sainted West Wing. There are many faults I can overlook in a TV series, but arrogance is pretty much at the top of the list of deal-killers for me.

Suffice to say, it very much reflects the liberal view on the 'tea party crowd'.
Ugh. Obviousness is pretty high on my deal-killers list, too.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26 2012, 07:21 PM   #29
Harvey
Admiral

Gaith wrote: View Post
Hope this show crashes and burns ASAP, so Sorkin can go back to doing what he does best - adapting (mostly, at least) non-fiction books to kickass movie screenplays.
With a premiere that brought in 2.1 million viewers, the show might be here for a while.

Of course, at ten episodes a season -- and Sorkin won't be writing all of those, most likely -- that gives him plenty of time to pursue feature filmmaking and stage projects. (And, let's be honest, he hasn't exactly been making those adaptations you like in any prolific manner; there's been just three in the past five years).

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26 2012, 08:32 PM   #30
the G-man
Commodore

Of course, at ten episodes a season -- and Sorkin won't be writing all of those, most likely...
Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't Sorkin, like David E Kelley, tend to write most EPA of the shows he creates?
the G-man is offline   Reply With Quote