Mulgrew: Playing Red
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Hallmark 2015 Trek Ornaments
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Funko Mini Spock
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

IDW Publishing Comic Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old August 31 2012, 01:33 PM   #256
foxhot
Fleet Captain

Re: The Newsroom.

That explains its cancellation.
foxhot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31 2012, 02:08 PM   #257
Australis
Writer

marillion wrote: View Post
So.. I have two problems with this, now that I think back to the episode...

I'm really starting to have an issue with Sorkin's portrayal of Will as a Republican... Yes, those of us who are true conservative Republicans have MAJOR issues with those who have taken over the Tea Party... But Will never really goes into what a real republican says or does... It's as if Sorkin believes that real republicans pretty much think the say way liberals do.. Which I guess wouldn't surprise me if he did think that way... Every once in a while, Will tells someone that he's a Republican and then they move on... It's getting kind of tiresome..
"Republicans believe in a prohibitive military. We believe in a common sense government. And that there are social programs enacted in the last half century that work but that there are way too many costing way too much, that don’t. We believe in the rule of law and order and free market capitalism." How 'bout that?

Yes, it's a little generic, but it's a step in the right (pardon the pun) direction. _

But more importantly. Why the HELL was Jim on the Sex in the City Tour Bus? Did I miss something earlier in the episode that would logically place him on the bus??
Someone advised him to so he'd know more about the show and impress Lisa, Maggie's flatmate, who's a big fan.
"… Times change, and so must I… we all change. When you think about it, we are all different people, all through our lives and that’s okay, that’s good! You've gotta keep moving, so long as you remember all the people that you used to be."
Australis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31 2012, 02:37 PM   #258
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

Australis wrote: View Post
"Republicans believe in a prohibitive military. We believe in a common sense government. And that there are social programs enacted in the last half century that work but that there are way too many costing way too much, that don’t. We believe in the rule of law and order and free market capitalism."
I thought that summed it up quite nicely, actually. Although I'm wondering about the usage of the words "prohibitive military". Does that mean anti-draft or anti-gay, or anti-females-in-combat, or something else? "Prohibitive" in the context of the military can mean a great many things.
Old August 31 2012, 03:36 PM   #259
Putting the F-U Back in FUN!

137th Gebirg wrote: View Post
"Republicans believe in a prohibitive military. We believe in a common sense government. And that there are social programs enacted in the last half century that work but that there are way too many costing way too much, that don’t. We believe in the rule of law and order and free market capitalism."
I thought that summed it up quite nicely, actually. Although I'm wondering about the usage of the words "prohibitive military". Does that mean anti-draft or anti-gay, or anti-females-in-combat, or something else? "Prohibitive" in the context of the military can mean a great many things.
I took it to mean "big and strong enough that no one will challenge it."
“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States...The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge'.” - Isaac Asimov
1001001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1 2012, 06:29 AM   #260
J. Allen
Best Pony™

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

^ Exactly. To me, "prohibitive military" means we have a strong defense for the U.S., and a strong offense if we have to help keep another world war from breaking out.
-=- I still wish upon stars -=-
J. Allen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 1 2012, 08:06 PM   #261
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Currently America can't handle just Iraq, what makes you think that you could handle an actual world war without using nuclear weapons as a crutch?

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1 2012, 08:24 PM   #262
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Count Zero wrote: View Post
Sex And The City premiered in 1998, not twenty years ago, it's been in syndication and there have been 2 commercially quite successful movies in 2008 and 2010. There are also magical silver disks called DVDs. I think Maggie is supposed to be 26, most of my freinds that age are well aware of the show, and I'm only a few years older and watched it. I don't think that's unrealistic at all.
by your numbers, Lisa was 12 when it started.

Kim Katralls boobs were all the hell over the first season. the first episode. They're talking about threesomes and homosexuality and all sorts. Season one was only 12 episodes, blink and you could miss it, and where I live they originally aired them as couplets, which broke it down to a 6 episode first season.

but a 12 year old (should I add 'girl"?) staying up past her bedtime to listen to stories about alcohol and blowjobs?

A deeply irresponsible parent.

The 12 year olds I'm related to in the here and now, who are not allowed to watch family guy or southpark, are in bed by 7.30 and their parents are callow.

However, when I was 12... but my parents were drunks and they couldn't make it to my bed time most nights, so i ruled the house like it were lord of the flies.

It's most probably she liked one of the movies and worked back to the series from there, but if Sorkin's not out of touch basing this on an old girlfriend 10 years older than Lisa, then, he must have just found out about the tourbus (which I guess is real?) and couldn't stop laughing his ass off, and decided to share his delight with us?

Old September 2 2012, 12:13 AM   #263
Count Zero
Yeah, I know...

I didn't know you lived in a world where any series is only shown once and then never again, so anyone who wasn't around for a show's original run has never heard about it.

It's a pretty popular show, and the people I know who are Lisa's/Maggie's age (to be fair, we only know Lisa's age but I assume Maggie is about the same) are well aware of the show. I don't think it's unrealistic for Lisa to be a fan of it at all.

Whoever wrote that part about Sex and the City (let's not forget that there are writers on staff even if they never get credit) was quite knowledgeable about the show so I think it's a little more than hearing about the bus and working it into the episode. I'd like to think that it was Sorkin's guilty pleasure.

ETA: The bus tour exists and apparently has been around for a while. I found an article about it in a weekly German newspaper from 2008. The busses look less obvious than on The Newsroom and have closed roofs, of course - I was wondering about that because it seems like a stupid idea in New York where it's often cold and/or rainy. But without the conceit, we wouldn't have gotten that great rant by Maggie.

Last edited by Count Zero; September 2 2012 at 12:50 AM.
Count Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2 2012, 02:01 AM   #264
Australis
Writer

^CZ, it's a Guy Gardner post, don't expect rationality. I like to think of him as, at any given stage, rally drunk and off his meds.
"… Times change, and so must I… we all change. When you think about it, we are all different people, all through our lives and that’s okay, that’s good! You've gotta keep moving, so long as you remember all the people that you used to be."
Old September 2 2012, 02:32 AM   #265
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

It's called New Zealand and we got our third tv channel, as well as more than 12 hours of programming a day in 1990. Our fourth station in 1994, which then after some decline, and a year of playing music and informercials, it bankrupted in 1998 and we were back to 3.

We have a lot (dozens not hundreds.) of cable stations these days, but there's still arguably less than 8 tv channels free to air if you count the music stations and non English stations.

But yes.

Even here they did rerun (rerun not syndicate) the shit out Sex and the City during the turn of the century, and I did buy a season 6 box set for a female friend for Christmas who was over the moon surprised that I hadn't just gotten her socks.

But our reruns are special.

(Simpsons doesn't count, like M*A*S*H* used to not count.)

Which is beside the point.

Lisa is an American living in America.

By my standards, it's like she's from the future.

Last edited by Guy Gardener; September 2 2012 at 02:46 AM.
Old September 2 2012, 02:32 AM   #266
Count Zero
Yeah, I know...

Huh, I didn't know that about New Zealand. We only got privately owned TV channels in the 80s over here (before that, there were 3 channels, possibly more if you lived close to any of the borders) so it's amazing to me to hear that other Western nations were even later to the game. So, did you guys read a lot?

^CZ, it's a Guy Gardner post, don't expect rationality. I like to think of him as, at any given stage, rally drunk and off his meds.
Though eccentric, his posts usually do have a point. We just disagree on some minor point and I actually feel a little silly spending more than one post on it. But I like talking about the show.

One thing that was a little unclear to me is how Charlie knew the other examples of phone hacking (besides MacKenzie's - if that was hacking at all - in my head canon, Will called Nina Howard by accident while he was high ). It is my understanding that Hancock didn't send them anything relating to that in the envelope but just the beef stew recipe so they couldn't know these details. Was it just a good guess on Charlie's part or did I miss something in one of the previous episodes (quite possible, there's always so much going on in them) or did I misinterpret the scene?
Old September 2 2012, 02:41 AM   #267
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Hancock said that Jane Fonda's son had been ordering hackings in an earlier episode. What Charlie was hanging out for was proof of the hacking and specific evidence to prove that the old guy wasn't sundowning. And even if he was sane, they still needed a second source to confirm the first.

Will did call Mackenzie, not Nina.

TMI hacked it.

Then TMI deleted the message off McKenzies message system.

Then passed the information on to Nina to report it.

It was the fact that the message had been deleted from MacKenzie's answering service that twigged Will in on to what was really going on.

See!

I can be useful

Old September 2 2012, 02:44 AM   #268
Australis
Writer

^ Didn't say you weren't useful.

in my head canon, Will called Nina Howard by accident while he was high
That was my understanding too, that Will accidentally dialled Nina, and that was how she had the complete message. And it was interesting to watch her delete it too, nice character moment. All they knew about the hacking was what Hancock told them, he didn't actually give them anything, and Charlie pulled off a HUGE bluff, and got it on tape. The message wasn't in McKenzie's service because it never arrived there.
Old September 2 2012, 02:52 AM   #269
Count Zero
Yeah, I know...

Guy Gardener wrote: View Post
Hancock said that Jane Fonda's son had been ordering hackings in an earlier episode. What Charlie was hanging out for was proof of the hacking and specific evidence to prove that the old guy wasn't sundowning. And even if he was sane, they still needed a second source to confirm the first.
Yeah, but was he actually that specific and I missed it? I only remember him saying that there was phone-hacking going on, and that it went up all the way to Reese.

Guy Gardener wrote: View Post
Will did call Mackenzie, not Nina.

TMI hacked it.

Then TMI deleted the message off McKenzies message system.

Then passed the information on to Nina to report it.

It was the fact that the message had been deleted from MacKenzie's answering service that twigged Will in on to what was really going on.
Yes, that's certainly what the episode suggested and intended. I just have my own ideas about that. As I said, head canon. The part about them needing a second source only makes sense with the hacking plot, though, that's true.
Old September 2 2012, 03:40 AM   #270
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Charlie said 'So does this hacking scandal go all the way to the top?"

Hancock replied "Not the top, just below the top."

Charlie counters "Her son?"

(Something like that.)

With mckenzie missdialing with her email back in the first or second episode, i thought that we draw back onto that.